Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Odds and Ends

First, Want a super simple, super easy recipe?  I'm making this tonight.  Its from SimplifySupper.com, a new favorite recipe site of mine.  If you try it let me know what you think.  We will be trying it just the way the recipe says to serve it, but I bet this would make yummy burritos too.


Easy Southwest Chicken

  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 jar salsa
  • 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Mix soup and salsa together. Pour over chicken breasts in greased slow cooker. Cook on low heat 6-8 hours. Shred chicken and stir in with sauce. Serve over hot rice. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, add a dollop of sour cream and some chopped green onions. So easy!

Second, Have you ever had the opportunity to be around children from the ages of 18 months to three years of age.  I have.  What always surprises me are those little ones that say thank you after you change their diaper.  Whenever this happens it makes me think about all the diapers I've changed in my adult life and no one has ever thanked me for doing that before, least of all the helpless child whose diaper I was changing.  Then I thought about how profoundly grateful I would be, tables turned, which I never before considered and I saw my role in a whole new light.  How many mundane, thankless tasks of motherhood are my children grateful for, but they just don't even know to say anything because what I do is all they really know?  They don't know how much worse life could be if I stopped doing those things.  And I'm glad they don't because that means that I'm doing my job.  Maybe not perfectly, but enough to really make a difference.  I kinda wish I had this little "a-ha" moment 20 years ago.  Oh well.  That's what my kids get for not saying thanks once in a while.  Ha Ha.

Third,  I truly believe the Lord knows when you're doing the very best you can and He picks up your slack wherever possible.  Such was the case this week.  I was stressing once I saw my paycheck and the amount.  They took a giant chunk out of it to pay back some of the insurance premiums I missed while I was out sick.  I wasn't expecting that.  Pretty much ALL of our bills still needed to be paid and that chunk sent our family budget into a tailspin.  I thought for sure we were going to end up sitting here with no lights, no water, no food, no car, no car insurance, no Internet, no medication, no way to pay our house payment, and if I couldn't get to work, I would ultimately lose my job because of it all.  I was stressing big time.  This was one of those times when I literally cried myself to sleep several days in a row as I agonized and stressed over not having enough money to pay the bills,.... even after doing everything I could and working full-time.  I prayed and prayed to my Heavenly Father for guidance and direction.  And then, once I calmed down I started making a few phone calls over the next couple of days.  I called the water company and made new arrangements to pay my $489 (for one month) bill today.  Then I called and made arrangements with another company to give them half now and half at the end of the month.  I paid a portion of our car insurance as soon as I got the check but it wasn't enough and I had to do the full amount yesterday otherwise they weren't going to renew our policy.  I had already made arrangements to pay our house payment today.  Then there were all the other smaller bills.  I made arrangements with my allergist for tomorrow but I'm going to have to put that off until the end of the month since everything else had to be paid now.  I don't have a choice.  I know my Heavenly Father knows I'm doing the very best that I can do and I'm just glad he prompted me to call the water company to change the arrangements I previously had set up.  They did a one time courtesy change of my previous arrangement.  Normally they would just consider my change as broken arrangements and they wouldn't let me make any arrangements for the rest of the year, but what do you do when your water bill is $679.00 and $489.00 is the past due amount?  It because of the giant dumpster we rented and then while that was here at the house we had to drain the pool and fill it back up again.  Talk about a double whammy!  Then I also made arrangements with the other company.  I didn't think they'd make any kind of arrangements either, but they did.  The house payment was a little late too.  I did have to reach out to my parents for a loan too.  They've been letting me borrow about $300-$350 a month for the past several months while we are playing catch up.  I'm so glad they can do this right now because it has really helps me out.  I usually pay them back within about two to three weeks.  Once in a while my dad just says don't worry about paying them back and that is humbling and oh so helpful.  My dad seems to know when things are a little crazy for us and I appreciate my parents help a lot.  So we didn't lose lights, and we still have water, and we have a roof over our heads, and we will be able to eat.  And I know my Heavenly Father was very much a part of every detail and I am so very grateful for His help.  We still aren't completely back to normal yet, but we are closer and that is a very good thing!  "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass." And my kids GET it.  I must be living right.  

Fourth, Kevin had the first of his many many appointments Monday afternoon.  He has another one coming up in the next day or two.  For some reason, as I was filling out all the forms and asking Kevin a couple questions about how he's feeling right now, I couldn't help but remember back to a time when Kevin was having one of his back surgeries and the nurse came in with paperwork that needed to be signed.  The hospital wanted to see a copy of Kevin's medical power of attorney and his living will, so I brought that all in.  Kevin has always teased about the kids pulling the plug on him even if he had a simple hang nail.  Well, this trip to the hospital I thought it would be funny to tell the nurse that I had made my peace and I was ready to pull the plug on my dear husband.  You know kind of like that scene in Talladega Nights.  To me, hilarious.  To Kevin, at any other moment, hilarious.  To Kevin while in the hospital that time and the nurse, not so much.  Is that in bad taste?  Is it an unwritten rule like not joking about carrying a concealed weapon in an airport now a days?  

I don't know what came over me that day.  I think I tend to freak out just a little bit when Kevin is not acting like himself.  The whole universe seems somehow off kilter when he is not trying to make me laugh about ridiculous things.  I'm the serious, quiet one most of the time in this relationship.  Me!  Not Kevin.  Me!  So when he is I'll or down or whatever I tend to compensate by taking on his role as family buffoon.  (And I really do mean that in the nicest possible way - I married that big old buffoon for all eternity did I not?). I make inappropriate jokes and do silly dances in a feeble attempt to restore the balance in my world.  Besides, I just have to let you all know that Kevin been stealing my shtick for years now.  I'm the real funny one around here.  I just let him take all the credit.  Whatever.  I'm humble like that.  

Anyway, that day in the hospital, all it took was a little shot of morphine and suddenly everything was as it should be again.  It almost made me wish we weren't LDS because Kevin is a fun, entertaining guy in a chemically-altered state.  I chuckle at the memory of it.  

Fifth, I learned what hemp oil is used for today.  Who knew it could help nerve pain, migraines, stress, and a whole slew of other things.  And it can be purchased on Amazon because it doesn't have the same things marijuana has in it.  (I forget the initials of the ingredient).  Anyway, that's something to think about.  Little did I know this, but Kevin has already checked into this.  Especially on how our church views hemp oil.  He said the church has acknowledged the healing properties of it when they can separate out the parts that get you high, but until they say it's okay he will not touch it.  I'm so proud of him for not letting go of his beliefs even when he is in so much pain.  I know it can't be easy.  I love that man!

Sixth, Oh my goodness, some people are pushing or maybe they are just impatient.  Especially those going through brand new stresses in their lives.  Holy cow!  All week this one person has been causing us all to step back and ask ourselves and each other if we've noticed this person's behavior and to chuckle a bit at the behavior too.  To be fair, this person is going g through a lot right now and I think (and hope) they just aren't aware of how they are coming off to the rest of us.  Sheesh!  So, with this person's stresses in mind, we are just cutting them a little slack because we all need that once in a while, right?!?

Seventh, Lexi is sick.  I came home from work yesterday and she was complaining of a sore throat and a runny nose.  She didn't eat dinner so I got a smooth for her but she hasn't touched it.  (It's in the freezer for her).  She's sad because today was the mutual trip to tube down the Salt River.  This trip happens every year in our ward and all the kids look forward to it.  This was going to be her last tubing trip.  Sadness.  So, if Lexi isn't a little better by tomorrow I'll be making a doctor's appointment for her.  We can't mess around with her being sick with her heart. 

Eight, I didn't even get to see the boys today when I got home from work.  They were already gone on one of their adventures.  Crazy kids.

Ninth, I still can't eat or speak with my braces.  You should have saw me trying to get my lips around my braces to sing a hymn on Sunday during Sacrament.  It was awful!  I will say this, for the notes I actually got out my tone was okay.  I've noticed I do a lot more diapham singing with my braces on.  That's one good thing.  

Tenth, It's quiet at home tonight.  Not even the dogs are up.  Kevin is watching a show on Hulu.  I'm typing away.  And Lexi and the dogs are fast asleep.  It's weird when it's quiet here, but I don't mind it most of the time.  Once in a while I go a little stir crazy and need to get out, but not often.  Besides, these quiet moments give me time to think about my wall in the family room.  I still need to go spend the $5.00 for paint, but I'm waiting.  Maybe I'll do some painting this weekend.  Time will tell.  


And there you have it...that's what's on my brain tonight.  Just thought I'd share.  

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...