Saturday, June 10, 2017

Chores, Chores, and A Few Rambling Thoughts.

The other day I mentioned that I was trying out a new cleaning schedule.  Remember that????

Well, I decided to take a couple quick photos of my general outlines for things I do every day and then the things I do in each room.  Keep in mind I'm trying not to spend more than an hour a day cleaning.  

I should also remind you that this system is not intended for deep deep cleaning, but is geared more towards the day to day things that this working mother needed a way to keep things under control better.

Disclaimer:  This system isn't perfect.  It's in the early stages and may be subject to revamping and rearranging things as we go.  It's all about starting somewhere, right???!!!

Below are my little note cards.  I just printed off some free notes cards I found online and then filled them in by hand. There are a rough, and my camera wasn't the greatest so some of the pics are a little blurry, but I think you get the basic idea here.










I started this last week, which was the same week I went back to work after being pretty sick.  Probably not the best timing because I didn't do as well as I had hoped.  I started out strong, but I  fizzled as the week went on.  Thursday and Friday's list never got done.  Oh well.  I knew it wouldn't be perfect and this was part of the reason I adopted this little system.  I liked being able to do what I could get done after the basic daily stuff, and then being able to pick up where I left off when that particular day came up again in the rotation.  It's not a perfect system, and it doesn't get my house company clean like I'd prefer it to be every single day.  But hey....I'm a full-time working mother with a disabled husband that (in the doctor's opinion) requires 24/7 care and I'm it right now.  It's a lot, I know.  No wonder I need a therapist and keep breaking out in hives.  Could the hives be due to stress?  Quite possibly.  I hope not because that would mean there isn't anything or much to be done for them.  I'm still holding out for some kind of allergy.  Just sayin'.  The kids might be here, but in reality they are here to do the basics like dial 911 if needed and grab food or drinks for their dad when he needs them.  Sure, they are great in a crisis and I'm not saying they don't help me because hey certainly do,...there are just certain things Kevin would prefer that his kids don't see, plus there are certain things they don't know how to do.  In fact, I'm having to learn as we go and so is Kevin.  Besides, we have three adult children who are barely home long enough to sleep, eat, and do laundry.  They are going all the time.  So, all of this, or at least most of this now falls squarely on my shoulders, so I refuse to be to hard on myself.  I'm doing the best that I can and I'm just happy I found something that helps me and makes me feel like I have accomplished something instead of the alternative.  This system gave me a place to start and I'm hoping as I go we will be able to adjust things as I go to keep it working for us.  I'm sure if I could be home and not working this would be no problem at all and my house would be company clean all the time, but that's just not my life.  Maybe someday.  This is good for us.  It's all good though.  Enough said.

In other news.....

Lexi is home from Girls Camp!!!  She is a little sunburnt and she says her feet hurt.  She said the YCL's didn't get any down time this year and they were super busy.  That's not a bad thing.  The only thing she wishes she would have been able to do is the archery and the canoeing, but she's not crushed about it.  She has fun for her last year though.  That's really all that matters.  

It's hot outside.  It's been about 106 degrees outside all week.  We've had record heat and heat advisories all week.  So the air conditioner is on and everyone is staying inside to keep cool.  I had hoped to get some yard work done today, like trimming some bushes and digging up the planter next to the house but that's going to have to wait for an early early morning project sometime or an evening one.  It's just to hot to do it during the day.  I also think I might invest in a small chainsaw just to make the trimming jobs a little easier.  That way I can do it myself.  Can you sense that there is a theme going on here with the home projects?  I'm trying to get away from relying on or expecting my kids to do certain things.  This way I don't get disappointed when they are too busy to help.  Plus eventually they will all move out and move on so I need to make sure I can do all the work.  I don't want to have to keep calling my children home to help me all the time so they end up resenting me.  Know what I mean?  Sure, I may need their help from time to time.  I just don't want them to feel like they can't have time to themselves or that their weekends are always spent at my house.  Their eventually going to have families of their own and will need to be there for them, not spending all their free time with us.  Sure, we want to see them and will I'm sure, I just want to do everything I can to make sure when we do see each other it's not just to help the parent/Grandparents and it's for fun things and happy times too.  Know what I mean???  That reminds me,.....  I still need to find out how to handle all the pool care stuff.  The kids do all of that now except adding chemicals.  I can do that.  Eventually I'll have them show me but for now I'm a-okay with the boys handling the pool.

Kyle is off to work.  He says work is a little quiet now that school is out for summer.  Once in a while he gets to see some famous people because he patrols and takes care of the PBS Broadcasting Station/Offices, so that puts a little excitement into his work day, along with the occasional out of control homeless person.  Thankfully the later is pretty rare.  Kyle got to see all the people from Seasame Street recently when they had their PBS 100 year celebration.  He didn't get as excited as I did for that one.  Oh well.  I remember watching that as a kid.  In fact, my kids watched it too.  Kyle just doesn't get as excited about things like I'd like him to anymore.  He's growing up.  I think he's become a little jaded.  Darn it.

Curtis, Kevin, and I are just hanging out watching a little TV (Kevin's watching a game) while we keep cool.  Eventually we'll make dinner and get down to the business of laundry and some more chores.  It's going to be ham, scallop potatoes, green beans, and maybe some homemade rolls for dinner tonight.  Super simple, but super yummy too.  We haven't had that in a very long time so it will be a nice change.

In closing I'll leave you with this little funny.  Take care and we will talk again soon. 

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...