Tuesday, June 20, 2017

A Doctor's Visit, A Birthday, and a Wonderful Meal.


Today I had another appointment with my doctor.  I've been released to go back to work on Thursday!  YES!!!  I'm so ready.

While I was at the doctor's office we talked about everything and he was concerned with my three rounds of antibiotics now.  I told him my stomach was not good and he said I need to start taking a probiotic, for at least a month, to help fix the stomach issues.  He said it's because of all the meds I've been taking.  

Then we talked about the nebulizer and the medication I'll use with it.  He also told me how to use it and how often and when to come see him if it doesn't do the job.  I remember using a nebulizer with Curtis when he was little, but it's been a long time.  The doctor also gave me a strict warning.  He said if the first medication I'll use with the nebulizer does not work then they will have to add a second to the mix.  He was concerned because I've had so many issues and of course the pneumonia.  I then asked him if he has seen a lot of people with breathing issues and does it really hit like this during the summer?  He said he sees a lot of issues when the pollen count is high like it is now, but sometimes the pollen isn't even the issue.  I was trying to get him to speculate on why I keep having these issues because I've been hit hard these past few months.  My dad was concerned about this too.  He wanted to know if there was any indication of things like mold in the house.  I told him I haven't seen any, and I've checked around because he got me curious too.  I didn't notice anything.  I don't like being sick and it certainly isn't nice on the paycheck either.  I'd much rather be well and not deal with everything that goes with being sick.  Oh, and there was another thing I learned after my recent chest x-rays.  My lungs are showing the signs of a lung disease, which is consistent with my asthma.  That was a surprise to me.  If I wasn't a believer before, I'm certainly a believer now.  I've got issues.  Who knew?   Ha Ha!!  I guess eventually I could end up with something like COPD, which I think would be awful.  I'm hoping that never happens.  Eeek!

One thing that had been amazing through all of my sickness is that Kevin has only had one overnight stay at the hospital while I've been dealing with all of this sickness.  It was several months ago and it was over a weekend for a bladder infection.  Talk about amazing!!  Since then he has been in a lot of pain but, knock on wood, he has been doing okay.  I'm so grateful for that.  I don't know what I'd do if he was having issues while I was dealing with crazy stuff like pneumonia!  That could have been disastrous!  My kids would have had to take over with their dad because that would be the only option.  Scary thought.  See this is the kind of thing I stress about.  The what ifs???  Again I'm counting my blessings.

Well, speaking of blessings.  Today is Kevin's 51st birthday!!!


I can't believe he's so old!  LOL! 

This is one of my favorite photos of Kevin.  It always puts a smile on my face every single time I see it.  Just look at his smile.
(An old bishop of ours posted a picture of his Father's Day gift.  It was a t-shirt of him and his daughter looking like gangsters.  Then the caption under the photo said....."I could be your future father-in-law.  Call the daughter's cell phone for an appointment."  When I see this photo or even a few others I think a shirt like that would have been perfect for Kevin.  I just wish we would have thought of that idea.  Funny stuff!!!)
Image may contain: one or more people, hat, selfie and closeup

Kevin always tries to tell the kids that I'm at least 10 years older than him.  They've seen his birth certificate and mine, so the kids know which one of us is older.  Silly man.

Tonight we are having a low-key birthday celebration for Kevin.  A nice dinner of Spicy Smoked Sausage, Cheesy Potatoes, and a nice tossed salad.  Followed by a red velvet cake with vanilla or strawberry ice-cream.  Kevin was thrilled!  (This is the first time I've even cooked spicy smoked sausage.  I'll let you know what the family thinks about them.  Anyway, they look yummy in some of the recipes I've seen online.)

The meal is another one of those easy quickie kind.  I plan to cook the sausage stove top and the potatoes are just going to be peeled (by the children), cut into cubes and boiled.  Then when they are cooked, we will drain the water, and add a little salt and pepper to taste and then dump in a can or two of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup and stir it in.  No added water, just the condensed goodness. You don't even really have to warm up the soup because the heat and steam from the potatoes warms it up as you fold it in.  It's so simple and my family LOVES them.  You can even load up your potatoes with a little crumbled up bacon, green onion, and a spoonful of sour cream, and maybe a sprinkle of shredded cheddar on top, just like a loaded backed potato with extra cheesy goodness.  These are fantastic!   My family eats them up as quickly as I make them, so I'm making extra.    

Below is a photo of what the potatoes and spicy sausage look like together.  We aren't putting the sausage into the potatoes though, and maybe we'll snap a photo of ours when dinner is done.  That is if I don't melt first from all the heat.  I just wanted to let you see what I'm talking about.  


You certainly could add the sausage into your potatoes and that might be something we do another time.  Looks like comfort food doesn't it?  This is the sausage we used....

Image result for hillshire farms spicy smoked sausage

This is kind of what the potatoes look like after they are boiled and you dump the soup over them. 



 I cut my potatoes into cubes shapes so they are a little smaller pieces and then mix in the soup.  I think this cheddar cheese soup would be a great base for a cheesy potato soup as well.  Doesn't that sound awesome?  

You know, like this..


Yum!  Makes me think of cooler weather, but that seems so far off right now.  

Well, dinner was a big hit.  Kevin LOVED the spicy smoked sausage because it had a little kick to it.  I'm so glad he liked it.  I'll be honest, even after cooking on the stove top in a hot kitchen, my favorite part was the tossed salad.  It was wonderful!  

Kevin was snoozing while dinner was cooking so I had to wake him up to eat.  I don't usually wake him up simply because when he finally falls asleep he really needs it.  BUT, today is his birthday and I wanted him to eat while dinner was hot and fresh.  I gave him his plate and it was all gone within a few minutes.  I couldn't believe it.  I'm glad I took a chance and tried the sausage.  

Later tonight we will have cake and ice-cream.  That is, once Kevin is ready for it.  I would have loved to be able to go out and celebrate and do something fun with Kevin and our family, but Kevin isn't up for that right now.  Plus who wants to go out in this heat right now.  Kevin seems to be having a pretty good day.  His spirits are up and that is always a good thing.

Happy Birthday Kevin.  We sure do love you.

Take care friends and we will talk again soon.  
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...