Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Be Mighty!


 

First, I am aware that this blog entry may seem a little "preachy".  However, I can not apologize, because my heart is full of thanks and gratitude.  

Over the past few days I've had the chance to reflect on tender mercies.  I especially love this verse from the Book of Mormon.  "But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."  (1 Nephi 1:20)

Over the past little bit, my family has commented, referring to Kevin being in the hospital, Lexi having a puffy spot on her mouth from her braces, me being sick, and my mouth being puffy all over lately also from braces, along with a few other things, "This is the worst week of our life, Mom!"  Knowing that all of our family have been worried about all of these things, it was a little reminder of an important principle of life.  

A tender mercy can be something huge, speaking of Lexi's open heart surgery, or Kevin's spinal cord injury, like when the doctor ran into my friend and I in the hallway at the hospital and gave us an update on Lexi's surgery, or when Kevin progressed so well through the rehabilitation with no complications or set backs, to something as simple as a tiny bag filled with a chocolate bunny being delivered by a friend for Easter.  Tender Mercies are those little happenings in our lives that reconfirm that we do have a Heavenly Father who is very aware of who we are and of our specific needs at that time, even when they are sometimes small and trivial.  Tender mercies confirm to us that He is there, that He is a part of our every day lives, and ultimately that He loves us!  As I reflected I was made aware of so many examples of the tender mercies in our lives.  I was touched by how quickly they all came to mine.  Of course, the first to come to mind, were during Lexi's surgery.  Or how when we were flat broke several times last year while we were struggling and waiting for social security to come through and my dear friend would drop off one of her "famous" cards with a little money in it.  Or when my parents would help us out by helping us to pay a bill or two, put gas in our car, and give us a little extra money to spend at the grocery store.  We didn't go a long time because without because of these things.  Or when our Bishop would just call Kevin or I completely out of the blue to check up on us right at the perfect time when we needed it. (He always knew exactly when to call.)  Sometimes things just work out perfectly when, by all rights and means, they shouldn't have.  It's interesting how we receive love and kindness when we least expect it.  These are just a few examples of the many tender mercies in our every day lives.  

As I thought about this scripture and what "being mighty" means, I first thought it meant being strong.  Then I thought about "being mighty unto the power of deliverance".  Simply stated this means that we must have faith even in the toughest of times.  When life gets tough, we must remember to be mighty unto deliverance.  Our faith must be stronger.  Our actions and our faith must be "mighty".  Rather than complain and whine or say, "Why me?, we need to ask "What is it that I am supposed to learn from this experience?"  And then.....and only then, it is my firm opinion, that we grow and gain from our challenges.  Throughout these past couple of weeks, I've had, in the back of my head almost constantly this thought, "Know this, that all these things shall give thee experience and be for thy good."  Because it's true!  

These thoughts and reminders were my "lesson" for sure.  I get it.  I will admit that my prayers after these thoughts were as tender as they could ever be...giving thanks for all of the tender mercies in our lives.  We all have our challenges and trials, and rather than complain and whine, we need to remember to be thankful for opportunities to grow.  And boy!  These past couple of weeks, months, and years, we have been given ample opportunities for sure!  

With that in mind,.....here's the latest at the Schmidt home....No whining.  No complaining.  Just facts.  

Curtis's sky diving date was a bust.  He asked a long time high school friend to go with him that night.  This friend has had a bad knee for a very long time.  In fact, her knee was the reason she had to come home from her mission and I believe she had surgery then.  Well, since her knee was bad again, she's s scheduled to have another surgery in about a week or so.  So, Curtis explained what he wanted to do and she insisted she could handle it and her knee wouldn't be a factor.  Well, two minutes in the tunnel (they went to an indoor sky diving place in Scottsdale) and she,was done.  She had been super busy all day and I guess she just over did it.  She apologized to Curtis over and over.  When they were done, or should I say, when Curtis was done with his turn she just wanted to go home so she could ice the knee.  In apologizing to Curtis she also said she owed Curtis a do over date.  When Curtis called me on his way home from dropping his date off he scared me at first and I thought something bad happened and he needed something.  (Tender mercy #1 from this night)  When Curtis finally explained things again I realized nothing bad had happened, except the date ending early.  I was also concerned that her parents might have have been upset that he brought their daughter home hurting.  I was grateful his date didn't hurt her knee more and it was just super sore and that her parents were not upset.  (Tender mercies #2 and #3).

Previously (in an earlier post) I mentioned that if things didn't get better for me that I'd be going to Urgent Care.  Well, I went.  By the time I got there I was really sick to my stomach.  It's been upset ever since Sunday and there have been a few other things going on that we don't need to mention.  When they took  my blood pressure like they always do, it was 159/96, which is the highest I ever remember seeing it.  That had me concerned, but I had not taken my blood pressure medicine yet.  So, I just figured that was the reason.  Even so, it was still pretty high.  When the doctor examined me I explained what happened when I took Prednisone pills and then what happened when my doctor gave me the Depo-Medrol injection.  At first he thought they gave me these things for the hives.  When I explained again that the hives happened after the medications were given he was surprised because he wanted to give me a Solu-Medrol injection this time for the hives.  I'm so glad he didn't.  We discussed the hives for a bit and then we talked about changing up a few medications that I take over the counter for allergies.  Then he gave me a shot to help with the stomach issues and the hives and gave me a prescription for another medication that should help with everything as well.  I'm telling you, I'm so over all the medications.  The doctor said the shot he gave me should make me sleepy.  So, I dropped off the prescriptions right after and went home to wait for them to be filled.  Once they were filled, I went and picked them up and then I came home, took them and I was asleep about 1/2 hour after.  I slept for about five hours straight.  It seems like everything that helps with the hives causes drowsiness.  Tonight my stomach and the other issues are still bothering me, just not as much as before, so we will see how I feel in the morning.  I'm hoping I will be set to go to work.  We shall see.   I'm glad I went and I'm glad they are super fast at getting you in to be seen, and that they are close to home so I didn't have far to drive when I wasn't feeling well.  Thank goodness I didn't throw up anywhere.  Again, I'm not complaining.  Just facts here.  

There are several other things happening in our world right now, as well.  But, I've shared more than enough for one day.  (I'm still tired)  I admit, it has been one of those weeks that I've struggled.   I've not wanted to sound like a whiner or a martyr.  As I thought about another sister in our ward this weekend my heart ached for her.  Her trials make mine seem almost insignificant.  That was, again, a tender mercy for me....the reminder that no matter how tough things seem, someone else always has it tougher. 

I've appreciated every single good thought, phone call, text, email, and visit over the past couple of weeks.  I'm grateful for the love and support that we feel when it is time to "be mighty".

If I could share one lesson learned from these past couple of weeks, it would be this message,  Trials and struggles are the only good time to ask, "What's in it for me?"  Because with every fiber of my being, I believe that, like it or not, the tougher the challenge, the bigger the lesson is in it, for each of us.  Enough said.  

Image result for every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater value

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...