Monday, May 1, 2017

April Showers Bring May Flowers

1.  April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes.  Has your April been filled with showers?  Do you carry an umbrella, wear a slicker, or make a run for it?  Besides rain, what else has filled your April?

Our April has not blessed us with an abundance of rain.  In fact, we haven't had ANY rain what so ever this past month.  So, I guess we won't be seeing any May flowers after all.  Sadness!  BUT, we live in the desert so I really don't expect much rain.  However, when it does rain, I usually just make a run for it.  Our rain storms are usually really light and I really don't mind them, unless I'm on my way to work and I don't want my hair to get wet.  Usually I just let my hair do it's natural thing and curl up so getting wet isn't a big deal, but on those rare occasions when I do straighten my hair I don't want to get wet.  I usually have an umbrella for those days though.  

As far as other things filling our April it's pretty much been filled with doctor's appointments, hives for me, and adjusting to our son being home from his mission and him running in and out of the house like the Tasmanian devil all the time.  If he isn't at work he is usually out with friends or his older brother.  Kevin warned me it would be like this.  I knew it would be, but it still takes a bit to get use to, especially when it comes to using the car.  Tonight he will be off skydiving with a friend.  Kyle is off to work, and we should be going to a ward party, but I seriously doubt that we will be going.  Mostly because we won't have a vehicle and also because Kevin and I just aren't up to it.  

2.  What's something you could give a 30-minute presentation on at a moment's notice and with zero preparation?
Funny you should ask.....I do this all the time at work, but those presentations last between 30 to 60 minutes.  I'm sure I could do a mini presentation about something church related, but I'd prefer a little time to prepare before hand.   

3.  Share with us a favorite food memory from childhood.  

There are so many favorite memories, it's hard to choose.  Like waking up to the smell of the turkey roasting in the oven on Thanksgiving morning after Mom woke up bright and early that day to start our big dinner.  She always made everything from scratch.  Nothing came from a box right down to her giblet gravy.  My Mom is an excellent cook, but I was a picky eater so I didn't try everything she made.  BUT, pretty much anything my Mom cooked was amazing!  AND I'm not just saying that because I'm her daughter.  She was complimented all the time for her cooking skills growing up by people who didn't live with us.  My Grandmother also was an excellent cook.  I also remember countless meals at my Grandparents house as well where we were all gathered around her dining room table, but my favorite time spent around my Grandparents table was when Grandpa would cook hamburgers on the grill after a full day of swimming.  They were the best!  

4.  What's a song you thought you knew the lyrics to, but later discovered you were wrong?  

Oh, there are several songs like this for me.  My son loves to point out that I'm singing the wrong words all the time.  I can only imagine how many times I've embarrassed myself without even knowing it.  Now they'll have a story to tell at my funeral one day when I'm old and gone (among others of course).  LOL!  

5.  According to one travel website, the most overrated tourist attractions in America are - Niagara Falls (NY), Hollywood Walk of Fame (CA), Time Square (NYC), Epcot Center (FL), Seattle Space Needle (WA), and Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market (Boston).  How many of these have you seen in person?  Did you feel like a tourist?  Did you care?  Tell us about a place (not on the list) you've visited that might be considered a tourist trap, but you love it anyway.

I haven't been to ANY of those places so I can't say if I'd feel like a tourist or not.  I would say Disneyland and the quaint little town of Solvang, CA (just to name a couple.) are two touristy places I've been to but I didn't care if I looked like one or not.  It's always fun to go to Disneyland and Solvang is a fun place to check out all of the shops at least once in your life time.  

6.  Your signature clothing item?

I'd have to say a solid V-neck t-shirt and a pair of yoga pants.  I love them!

7.  What's an experience you've had you think everyone should experience at least once?  Why?
Kevin and I went on a Cruise about 9 years ago to Mexico.  We had never cruised before and Kevin received an all expense paid trip from his boss as a thank you for a job well done.  We were both super excited about a cruise.  It was one of the best trips we have ever been on hands down!!  Someday we'd like to go again, but this next time maybe to Alaska or something.  Alaska has such beautiful scenery and from what I understand has excellent excursions at all the ports of call.  I would urge everyone, if they possibly can, to go on a cruise.  It's an experience of a lifetime!  

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

The house has been fairly quiet today.  I woke up bright and early before the city came by to drop off one of those giant dumpsters in front of our house.  The city does this roll-off service and for a fee they will let you use one of their dumpsters.  So, the boys are cleaning out the garage and I have a few things inside the house I'd like to get rid of, so we will fill it up over the course of the next two weeks.  I also put signs on each side of the dumpster so people do not dump their junk inside.  Kyle said if he finds anyone dumping stuff he plans to make them climb inside to get it out.  That kid!  

Lexi has been busy over the past several weeks getting ready to take 5 tests for school.  She took her first test last week.  She has only 4 to go.  I'm so excited for her to finally be done with school.  She's excited too.  This morning she took a little break from all of her studying and went with her friend to the temple to take pictures.  Lexi and her friend got all dressed up in dresses to go take pictures of each other.  Once they were done at the temple she went over to her friends house to watch movies and swim, she got home around five tonight.   Curtis teases Lexi that he has a crush on her friend.  He went so far as to drive them both to and from the temple just to keep up with the teasing.  When I asked Curtis if he got a chance to talk to Lexi's friend he said, "No, she was reading a book the entire time we were in the car together."  That kid!

Speaking of Curtis.  He is still enjoying his job.  He got his work phone yesterday and will get his truck in a couple weeks once his training is complete.  Tonight he is out on a date with a friend of his.  They are going sky diving.  Not a cheap date.  In fact, I was a little jealous.  I've never had a date spend that kind of money on me unless it was for a dance or something.  All I know is that he doesn't care about his hair as much when he goes out with guy friends.  Tonight he got his hair cut, showered, shaved, brushed his teeth, and even put on nice clothes to go spend time with this friend.  Usually my boys spend their time in t-shirts and gym shorts 95% of the time, and they could care less if they match.  Believe me, I've tried to get them to make a little effort some of the time, but I'm just the Mom.  My opinion doesn't count.  LOL!

Kyle took off early for work this morning.  He and Curtis ran to the store so he could pick up his workout shake stuff.  He is allowed access to a full gym for an hour a day.  They can use it while on duty as well.  They just have to schedule  the time so there is coverage while they are away.  Today Kyle must of wanted to work out with someone specific otherwise he wouldn't have gone in so early.  I also think he is trying to be ready for the next round of hires too.  I never got a chance to really ask him before he left.  He wears a Kevlar vest every single day that he works.  Before he left, he informed me that his vest expires next week.  Looks like he will be getting a new one soon.  I hope!  

Kevin has been spending a fair amount of time down and in bed lately.  He is hurting more lately.  We thought he was in for another bladder infection because he was noticing some issues last week, but that seems to have gotten better.  At least we hope it has.  The last time Kevin was in the hospital for about two days the nurse asked me if he was allergic to any medications and I told them what medicine he is allergic to.  Then she asked me if he was allergic to any foods, and I said he use to be allergic to milk, but now he can eat cold cereal with milk and ice-cream with no problems.  Once in a while it bothers his stomach but that is rare.  So, what does the nurse do?  She puts it in his chart that he is allergic to milk and the entire time he is in the hospital they would not give him anything made with milk.  No cheese, no pancakes with milk in them.  He was so mad at me!  (LOL!!....not really!)  I still haven't lived that one down.  When he tried to get the nursing staff to fix it, they refused saying it was in his chart and he would need to talk to the doctor about it.  He said he tried talking to her, but she was from a foreign country and could barely speak English, so how on earth could he explain to her that milk is not a problem for him.  That of course, was my fault too.  LOL!!!  I'm trying not to burst out laughing because it's been a couple weeks and he just brings it up completely out of the blue sometimes.  I guess that just traumatized him.  LOL!!!  ~funny~funny~

The last day I worked I stopped off the the Orthodontist for a visit.  They had an afternoon appointment and I did something I've been wanting to do for years.  I got braces!  I was really nervous about it, but not because of the braces.  Because of the procedure to have them put on.  The first time I saw them it was before they changed my medication for my asthma and I couldn't breathe when they put me flat on my back and tried to scan my teeth with that x-ray machine thing.  So, when Lexi told me about all the stuff they place in your mouth and the tongue thing I was concerned.  It didn't cause me to cancel the appointment or change my mind, but once in while when I was brushing my teeth or using the water pick to floss a small little panic attack would creep up.  Well, when the afternoon came I did have a hard time when they first tried to put all of that stuff in my mouth and I even made them take it out once because I couldn't deal with it, but I got over it.  The only other issue I had was that I couldn't lay flat and I made them let me sit up a bit when they placed the braces.  The poor guy was so awesome though!  He really was.  Once I got over all of that stuff in my mouth I was good and I didn't give them anymore trouble.  

Lexi tried to warn me that my mouth would be super sore right after they were placed, but I didn't have any trouble.  Now, I have a worn spot on my inner cheek and I can feel a little pressure on my teeth, but they never hurt like she talked about.  I'm hoping that will be the worst of it.  I went with the old metal braces just because the dentist said they can do the best work with the old metal kind.  I could have got clear braces or gone with Invisalign but he really explained why regular braces would work best and be the fastest.  I was grateful and I only have to wear them for a year, worst case scenario eighteen months.  The dentist said getting my teeth straight shouldn't be a problem because I have a lot of spacing and my teeth are pretty straight now.  He said the biggest issue is my bite.  So, we will see what happens over the next year.  I'm excited.  I can't wait to have a pretty smile.  Sure, people say I have a pretty smile now, but once the braces are gone I will feel like I have a pretty smile too.

As far as the hives go.  They are STILL here.  I am so over it!  (As I scratch my back because it's covered in them).  The doctor gave me another medication to take and I can tell it does help, but it isn't getting rid of them.  I do notice a difference when I forget to take the new medication right on time.  It's the hive on my face, chest, and arms that really bother me.  Or when they itch like crazy!  The doctor did some blood work to check a few things to determine if things were out of whack, like my histamine levels.  Who knew they could check that with a blood test??!!!   I've decided that if the hives are still here tomorrow that I'm going to Urgent Care, if for no other reason than to get a second opinion.  I want to be done with all these raised, blotchy, red, patches all over me.  Once and for all!  No one else in the family has these.  Just me, I'm special.  I get the hives.  Arg!  Enough already!  

Sorry.  I'm not complaining.  Really I'm not. 

Since my braces I've wanted a lot of soft foods.  Jamba Juice has been my favorite place.  Ice Cream has taken on a whole new meaning.  I mean, only the smooth kinds, no chunks.  I now spend a lot of time in the bathroom using the water pick and brushing my teeth.  The water pick is amazing!  Now I get why Lexi uses it all the time.  I mean, I used it, but not six times a day before braces.  Now I use it more then Lexi ever did.  

This recipe looks really good.  I'd like to give it a try maybe without all of the topping.  

Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie



Serves: 10
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 chocolate cookie crust
  • 1.5 quarts of green, mint ice cream
  • Hot fudge sauce
  • Mint Oreo Cookies
  • Cool Whip
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Fill cookie crust with ice cream.
  2. Cover top with desired amount of Cool Whip
  3. Cover top with chopped cookies
  4. Drizzle with hot fudge sauce
  5. Freeze until firm and ready to serve

This Evening I'm painting picture frames and trying to keep my fingers busy so as not to scratch.  Lexi is singing and reviewing and editing the photos she took.  Kevin has been out of the bedroom for three things so far.  To use the front bathroom, to get a drink, and to get more lemons.  He likes to eat them whole with a little salt on them.  He cuts them in half and sprinkles a little salt on them and eats them.  Don't get me wrong, I like lemons, but not like that.  He loves them!  He had Kyle pick him up a few more late last night when they ran out to the store for something.  I don't mind that he likes lemons so much.  Frankly, if eating whole lemons makes Kevin happen then he can have buckets and buckets of them.  We were invited to a ward party tonight, but none of us are up for it and besides, we don't have a vehicle tonight.  It would have crushed Curtis if I told him he couldn't go tonight.  So, we miss the ward party.  It's not a big deal.  I'm gonna try to make it to church tomorrow.  That is if my hives aren't on my face anymore.  I can probably cover up my arms...hopefully the itch will stay away too.  We shall see.  Look out Urgent Care.  

Well, I should get going.  Take care and we will talk again soon. 



 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...