Friday, May 26, 2017

A Dash of This and a Pinch of That

I've been sick for so many days that I've lost track now of how many.  I've missed work.  I've stayed holed up in the house.  I've watched lots of TV.   I've taken medicine.  I've been to Urgent Care.  I've seen my doctor.  I've had a couple breathing treatments.  I've had a couple chest x-rays.  I've had lab work done.   Now I'm on my second round of stronger medicines to try and knock this out.  I've tried to muscle through this.  (If I can actually call it that?)  I've tried doing nothing.  The most I've left the house has been to sit on my front porch to warm up, go to the doctor or the pharmacy.  I've stayed home.  But it hasn't made much of a difference.  I'm still miserable: sicker than sick most of the day and anxious with a twinge of cabin fever the rest.  

It's 4:58 AM on Friday morning and I finally decided to get up since I couldn't sleep anyway.  The hives are back and I have to wait another hour before I can take the medicine they gave me to help stop them and the itch.  I'm on all kinds of new stuff after my last doctors visit.  A stronger antibiotic.  A new daily inhaler because we think I might be allergic to the additive in the previous inhaler.  I'm also taking two new drugs specifically for the hives, and guess what?  They make you drowsy.  Here we go again. The doctor had lab work done, gave me another breathing treatment, and ordered another chest x-ray.  He wants this new chest x-ray to be done next week so he can check for improvement.  He was also questioning the original diagnosis.  He said if this round of antibiotics doesn't improve things, then it could be the flu.  We'll, I've taken exactly two doses of the new antibiotic and I'm feeling slightly better.  Not a huge change, but enough to say, hmmm....this just might do the trick and knock this out of me  finally.  Let's just keep improving over the weekend.  I don't want to whine, but I'm stating a few facts about this past few days.  First of all, I can only remember a couple other times in my life being so sick.  One was a similar pneumonia when I was about four years old.  That time I also found myself a vacation at the most expensive hotel in town that I knew of at that age, our military hospital.  The other experience was about two weeks after Kevin left the MTC for his mission in Oakland, California.  I spent the better part of a week in bed and it was about two weeks before I could actually speak without coughing and hacking.  This current experience hit me from completely out of the blue.  One day I'm fine and the next I'm very sick.  It came on fast!  Needless to say, I'm learning that you do need to take care of yourself from time to time.  But, doesn't my body know that the caretaker doesn't have time to be sick when it's care taking time?  (Which happens every single day in one form or another) It's a lot harder to do when you can barely sit up for five minutes and you're the only one that can drive you to the doctor, especially when the boys are all at work.  I also think not being able to drive is hard on Kevin right now too.  He wants to help me, but he's limited to what he can do.  Because of this, I have come to appreciate all the things he can do all the more now.  Bless that man and his wonderful 💓, he has been Dad, my voice of reason, tried to play nurse, he would do it ALL if his body would let him, and I love him more and more just for having the desire to.

It's now noon and I do believe I'm finally taking a turn for better.  My left side of my head and neck are improving, the right side,....not so much yet.  I'm beginning to hear a change in my cough and it sounds like things might be breaking up.  I'm also throwing up more phlegm which is good in my opinion.  Better up and out.  (sorry for that visual).  The slight twinges of pain has decreased, no chills or sweats for a few hours and I are some real food yesterday for the first time.  At least I'm sitting up.  I'm not gasping for air.  My ears don't feel like someones pulling them inside out and stretching them to the East Coast.  I believe I'm on the mend!  Happiness!

All things are for our good and give us experience...

  • The nurse who checked my rash, initially, commented that it was the worst she'd ever seen.  She got the PA to look and he said, "Oh my word!", agreeing.  The doctor came in and said, "She needs to see Dr. Block.". He's the dermatologist and I guess I'll be seeing him as soon as I'm better.
  • I don't know if they knew or not, but yesterday we received a nice visit from a member of the Elders Quorum and his family.  His wife makes the most amazing truffles and they came by with a box full of them and a nice message.  We talked briefly on the porch simply because I didn't want them coming inside since I've been so sick.  I would prefer to not infect anyone else if possible.  It's hard enough just being around my own family right now.  Especially Kevin.  Anyway, we had a brief visit and they left us with yummy treats and a smile on our face.  As soon as I went back into the house Kevin had to have a truffle.  Lexi, who knows all about them, had to have two.  The rest are hidden in the fridge for when I'm feeling up to eating again.  Wink wink.  (I guess I'd better hurry!  Looks like the family has eaten all of the truffles but two).  
  • We received two surprise visits from the UPS man yesterday and today.  We got a huge double box of Cheryl's Cookies.  Then today we received two double boxes from The Popcorn Factory.  All were gifts from our Aunt's, Yvonne and Patsy.  We are planning to make a visit to see them just as soon as I'm better and Kevin's up for it too.
     
  • I've had a plethora of emails, cards, text messages, and phone calls from all kinds of friends and family alike.  Thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers.
  • My friend Bev and my Mom both offered to drop yummy  things off to us or anything for that matter.
  • On the lighter side, nothing solid to eat since last Thursday until dinner last night.  I'm certain to have lost a few extra pounds this week.  Pneumonia.....not the diet I"d recommend but it's made a difference, I'm certain!
  • Lexi was asked by an old friend to take some photos for her Senior announcements last week.  They went to the temple grounds and oh my!  The photos were beautiful!  I can't get over how good Lexi is getting!  Now I want a family photo more than ever, especially in some of the spots they used.  Loved them!  Now to figure out how to lose a ton of weight between now and then.  LOL!  I'm working on that, right??
Here's a recipe I'm anxious to try.......

PF Changs lettuce wraps and Special sauce recipes:


2 lbs ground turkey or shredded chicken.  ( You can use a roasted chicken from the store)
1 medium onion, minced
Salt and pepper, a dash of each
4 large cloves garlic, minced 
2 inch job fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
5 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon water
2 Tablespoons natural peanut butter
1 Tablespoon honey
2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
Dash fresh pepper
6 green onions, chopped
1 - 8 oz. Can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped, if desired
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
Curly or romaine lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry

Heat a large non-stick skillet on high.  Add chicken, salt, pepper, and cook until chicken is nearly done, stirring often to break up the meat.  Add in minced garlic and ginger, and continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink.  Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, combine sesame oil, soy sauce, water, peanut butter, honey, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce, and pepper.  Microwave for one minute, then stir until smooth.  Add into the skillet and stir to combine.  Add green onion, water chestnuts, shredded carrots into the skillet then cook for 1-2 minutes until the onions are soft and the water chestnuts are heated through.  Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, and serve with cold lettuce leaves.  You can also serve these with rice.  Enjoy!!

Special Sauce

1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons ketchup
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon hot mustard
2 teaspoons water
1-2 teaspoons garlic and red chili paste

It's taken me hours...no days, but, I felt good enough to get up and down to type in bits and pieces.  It's now 8:30 PM.  That's improvement.  I'm grateful for that.  I'm off to find a movie on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon to get comfy and lie down and watch.  Who knows maybe I'll have to watch it twice because I doze off.  I'm okay with that.  Take care my friends and we will talk again soon.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...