Friday, February 17, 2017

thankful and exhausted

I know it's been a while since I've posted anything and I apologize.  

Let's start off by doing a MEME and I'll tell you all about it later....


1.  What do/did you call your grandparents?  If it's something unusual tell us the story behind the name.  If you're a grandparent what do your grands call you?  Who chose your moniker?

Oh, this is near and dear to my heart!  My Grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa, nothing more, nothing less, and it seemed that was what most all were called "back in the day".  Fast forward to now.....I haven't given  the whole thing much thought about what I would want my Grans to call me.   My kids call my parents and Kevin's parents the same thing....Grandma and Grandpa.  So, why on earth would I want to be called anything other than Grandma and Kevin be called Grandpa?   Personally, I think when Grandparents want to be called something cute it just means they aren't comfortable with being a grandparent.  For me, Grandma will be an endearing name and I look forward to that.  Who knows, maybe as time goes by I'll change my mind.  Time will tell.
2.  Ever taken a road trip along the California Coast?  If so, what was the highlight of your trek?  If not, any desire to do so?  If you were to take a trip along the California Coast what's one attraction you'd have on your must-see list?

I have been on several road trips along the California Coast.  A couple of times to move to and from Central California (Santa Barbara area) a few times to go to Disneyland and to the Los Angeles Temple, and a couple times with a friend to visit her.....of all things,.....Grandparents.
I think if we were to go on a California Coast trip now, we would have to start our journey either from San Diego and work our way up all the way to just above San Francisco or visa versa.  There is so much I'd want to see and places I would want to visit.  Like where I spent all of my Junior High and High School years.  The town, the Air Force Base, the people, and of course Solvang so my children could see it.  Kevin would want to visit the bay area and see the places he served his mission again.  Then of course, there is the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Disneyland and California Adventure.  Not to mention Universal Studios.  Then up the coast I'd like to see all the beaches and we would have to stop at several so I could see what they all look like now that I've been away for so long.  Then up above where I grew up we would have to Cal Poly and I would like see places like Hearst Castle.  You know the touristy stuff.
3.  What are three things you don't know how to do?

1) Kyle and I were just talking about this the other day.  I do not know how to make Country Gravy or Sausage Gravy from scratch.  I'm sure I could find a simple recipe and would have no problem teaching myself, but it's one thing I haven't done.
2) Knit.  I can crochet somewhat, but knitting never was my thing.  I remember learning when I was a child, but I've lost that skill.  Again, I'm sure it would be something I could pick up pretty fast if I wanted to.
3) I don't know how to turn on a gas powered weed eater, edger, trimmer thing.  I can use the electric one, but the whole gas powered thing scares me a bit.  I'm sure it's super simple and I asked Kyle to show me this afternoon or tomorrow morning.  We'll see if he actually does it.  If not, I'm just going to go to it on my own.  
4.  Tom Peters is quoted as saying, "Celebrate what you want to see more of."  If that's true, what will you celebrate and more importantly, how will you celebrate?

This is a great question.  I've said it many times lately that we need to be more kind.  It seems to be  lost among the ranting, raving, and overall general hatred we so so much of today.  So, I'd like to throw a party of kindness and I've always tried to be kind but in recent months I've had to make a little extra effort, hopefully to pave the road, through example to others.  Time will tell. 
5.  Thursday (February 16th) was National Almond Day.  Do you like almonds?  Which would you prefer...an Almond Joy or a Macaroon?  What's something you make that calls for almonds?

What's not to like about almonds?  I mean, I like them raw, roasted, smoked, dipped in chocolate,  roasted with cinnamon and sugar, just about any way.  I would prefer a Macaroon even though I probably haven't had one in over 20 years.  I make a 
wonderful Cranberry Bliss Bar with slivered almonds on them.  ~delicious~
6.  What does Saturday morning look like at your house?

Saturday mornings are generally very laid back.  It's the day I do the chores I can't usually get to during the week.  Once in a while Kevin and I, or the kids and I work on a project together, especially in the spring.  Sometimes we make an outing of it, but usually we play it by ear.
  
7.  Share with us a favorite book you've read this winter.

I'll stop you right there.  I haven't had the chance to read anything this past summer, fall, or winter, and spring is looking pretty bleak as well.  The one thing I have tried to get better at reading has been my scriptures lately.  
8.  Insert your own random thought here...


We received another letter from our missionary today.  Here is that letter......


Hey Everyone,

This week was fun.  Our area received quite a bit of snow.  We weren't able to drive for half the day on Thursday, so we just walked around and shoveled people's walkways. That kept us busy and we got to meet some really nice people in our area.  It snowed again yesterday so they cancelled church.  We could drive that day, so we thought it was kind of lame because one of our investigators was supposed to come to church with us.  We also had a ton of less actives coming as well.  We have been calling things like this "Satanic Sucker Punches".  Ha Ha.

Something good did come from all this snow though.  We were able to meet with an entire part member family!  This was exciting because it was the one family we've been trying to get in to see the entire time I've been in this area.  I don't remember if I told you about them last week or not.  We saw the member (the Dad) and one of his daughters last week.  BUT, after we were done shoveling his snow this week we met his other two daughters, his two grandsons, and his wife!  They are all Non-members who are searching for truth, so we will share it with them!  

That's pretty much all all I have to share about this week.  Hope you're all doing good.  Talk to you later.

Love,

Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad


Here's a recipe I want to try soon.....that is, once life slows down back to a more normal pace.




Crescent Roll Cheesecake


2 packages refrigerated crescent rolls
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar

Unroll one package of crescent rolls and line the bottom of a 9x13" pan. Flatten out well. Mix together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Spread this mix over the crescent rolls. Unroll the other can of crescent rolls and place on top of the cream cheese mix. Pour the melted butter over the top and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I pulled out the banner we used at Danielle's reception and took a small section of it and used only the green sections and a few doilies for a little St. Patrick's decor for my window.  



Then I had an old set of green Shamrock lights that stopped working, so I pulled the plastic Shamrocks off of each light and attached them to my gold tree.  


I still have a few other green things to get out, like my green floral table cloth, a few lose wooden Shamrocks, and a sign or two, but these are the thing I could get to easily and didn't require to much fuss. I also have these big glass vases I usually put split peas in and white candles.  I'll put those on the dining room table eventually. Once the tablecloth is out.  My front door has four sparkly Shamrocks on it as well.  Those were the same ones I put out last year, or the year before even, and I found them at a dollar store.  Love the simple things. As my kids say, we aren't Irish Mom!  No, we aren't Irish, but it's fun to celebrate a little.  I remember this holiday as a fun holiday, especially the part about not being pinched and wearing green.  As I've gotten older it seems to be an excuse for adults to just get drunk. For our family, it's just a time to have fun together, nothing more.  

Before I forget, and as promised. I said I would tell you all later about what has been happening around here.  Here goes...

  It's been stressful this past weekend and week.  I'd say this past weekend/week ranks right up there as the most stressful times since we first found out that Kevin was paralyzed from the waist down. I had a headache all weekend and felt like I couldn't breathe, my heart was beating out of my chest, and there was a huge knot in my throat.  I have had the Tylenol going for the past 4 days now and I even doubled up on my blood pressure pills as well.  I take a baby dose of that anyway.  The doctor lowered the dosage the last time I was in her office without telling me. So, I don't think a day or two of a double dose of the new lower strength is going to be an issue.  I'm making up for missing a dose here and there when I forget to take it.  I know, I know, I need to be better about taking it. You're right.  I do.  Anyway.  

Bottom line, we have been on a roller coaster ride since last Friday morning dealing with Kevin.  

Friday morning I woke up to the sounds of Kyle standing over Kevin, who was in bed, pleading with him to stay in bed so he wouldn't fall again. This was around 3AM. Then when my alarm went off at 5AM, Kevin had gone totally against what Kyle had asked him to do and had gotten himself up out of bed and was in our bathroom. By the time I was up and walking towards the bathroom, Kevin had fallen again. Thank goodness Kyle was there to pick Kevin up and put him back in his wheelchair.  Otherwise, I would have had no other choice but to call 911. Kevin was weak and slow to speak and speaking with a slight slur.  The same thing that has happened every other time we have had to take him to the hospital. When we got Kevin back into his wheelchair he insisted on going back to bed.  So, we worked to get him back into bed.  By this time, Kevin and I both were crying.  Kevin was crying because he knew I wouldn't let it go and would insist we go to the hospital. He was also crying because he is just flat out tired of this happening all the time. I was crying because I was scared to death of what this would mean.  I left the bedroom and called my boss in tears and frustrated.  I was also talking to Kevin quite loudly as well.  Not that he is hard of hearing, I guess I wanted to make sure I was getting through to him.  Not one of my best "wife moments" for sure.  The entire time, Kevin kept saying, "This is different.  This is different.  There's something else going on."  I thought it was the Soma we just had refilled about two days prior, but Kevin had been taking it all along.  So, it wasn't a medication issue.

Long story short.  

Kevin ended up at the hospital.  He had fallen so hard that the toenail on his big toe completely riped off.  He has a big knot on his foot and it's all bruised up. When we got to the hospital, they checked everything.  They did all the same tests they do every single time we go.  They did a CT Scan of his chest and head. They were concerned that since he fell so much that he might of hit his head and that might be causing the slightly slurred speech and the loopiness.  Those tests showed no fractures and no pneumonia or infections.  The labs they did all came back within normal ranges as well.  Which was totally amazing!  We were thrilled and we got to do something we haven't been able to do from an Emergency Room in a very long time.  We got to walk away and Kevin didn't have to stay.  As we were driving away I told Kevin he should of quoted Raven Simone from her days on the Cosby Show, "I know my body, I know my body!"  BUT he didn't.  I told him he could said, see I told you so, but he didn't.    

The only thing the Emergency Room agreed to do that they didn't do, was to x-ray Kevin's foot. We ended up taking him to our PCP for that. No break, but it sure looks awful and he needs help moving from place to place.  You should see the toe.  Yuck!  We have to watch it closely so it doesn't get infected.  

Along with all of this "fun" we also took Kevin to see another one of his doctors and it looks like he will have to start looking for a new doctor to see since this doctor is moving to another part of the valley and we aren't traveling that far. It's bad enough when we end up having to go to St Joe's.  We were sad to see that have to happen. Kevin really likes that doctor and he was awesome for him.

The one good thing that has come from all of this is that we are $546 away from being done with our In-Network deductible for the entire family. Remember I mentioned we have a $5800 In-Network deductible, and a $12,500 Out-of-Network deductible and we have only $2946. left on that and it's only the middle of February. That blows my mind! Kevin still has an MRI and a new wheelchair to make appointments on. More to come on all of that.

In other news,......

Kyle went in for the rest of his dental work, or so he thought. They finished everything with his root canal finally, but still couldn't begin the crown. They want to make darn sure the root canal sticks and he doesn't end up losing a tooth.  If he loses the tooth, then he doesn't have to worry about the crown.  Time will tell. Poor kid. 

I went to the dentist.  I had scheduled a routine visit for after work on a evening I knew Kyle would be home, that way he could stay with his dad.  Well, the past couple of weeks one of my lower teeth had been bothering me. I thought for sure I'd be in for a filling and I was a little scared.  Low and behold, I didn't have a cavity after all.  Yay!  I turn 50 in May and I've never had a cavity in my entire life.  Pretty wild right?!  So, I'm happy to report that I still belong to the no cavities club.  I contribute the no cavities to all the fluoride treatments I received as a child during my routine dental check ups at (believe it or not!) a military dentist.  I don't know if that's really why, it's just a theory.
The dentist the other day was concerned about all the spacing of my teeth and my bite.  He suggested I see an Orthodontist.  I didn't even have to ask.  So, next month I have a consult with the same Orthodontist Lexi sees.  We'll see how that goes.  I'm learning that I'm really not the best dental patient as an adult. Ha Ha!  

Danielle, our oldest daughter, has been really sick.  I had called her hoping she would be available to drive Kyle home from his dental appointment and she sounded awful. Well, last night her husband took her to Urgent Care and she is was given all the same stuff I usually get whenever I get sick like that. I made sure she had a cool mist humidifier as well.

Today I text her just to check on her and she is breaking out in rash, just like I did.  She is allergic to some of the medication in the z-pack they gave her. I told her that if the rash spreads to the trunk of her body she needs to go back to Urgent Care for steroids. I also told her to stop taking the z-pack and call the doctor in the morning to see if they can call in another antibiotic. I also told her to have Chance keep a close eye on her during the night.  

This morning Danielle text me with photos.  I guess her face had swollen up so much she couldn't even open her eyes. You should have saw her lips. She ended up driving herself to Urgent Care to get a shot and steroids and a couple new prescriptions. The Urgent Care doctor told Danielle she was in the beginning stages of an anaphylactic reaction to they think the erythromycin and the tesslon pearls they gave her for her cough.  I'm so glad she went to the doctor, but frustrated that she had such a bad reaction.  Kevin said she gets that from her mother.  LOL!  She does.  

Life is good! Even with the cranky, frustrating moments! 
(And people too.)  Take care my friends and we will talk again soon.


 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...