Sunday, January 1, 2017

Saying Goodbye to 2016

Lexi and I both were able to make it to all of our church meetings today while Kyle was home with Kevin today.  That was so nice.  Today they introduced the new Young Women's/Young Men's theme for 2017.  The Young Women's President spoke and her talk was amazing!  She was our oldest daughter's history teacher for many years over and over and we have always known she was an amazing teacher.  In fact, she won the Teacher of Year Award for the entire United States.  She is awesome!  AND now she is the Young Women's President for our youngest daughter.  We love her.  She is a great example for all of our children.  

The rest of the day was pretty quiet.  I spent the day working on a few things around the house and I watched a movie I haven't seen before.  It was really good and made me cry.  It's called St. Vincent.  Bill Murray and Melissa McCarthy are in it and it's really good.  It's a PG-13 movie and probably wouldn't be a good "family" film since there is some swearing in it and a few habits that you wouldn't want your children seeing much about, but if you can get past that the story is really good.  


Let's do this again.....a MEME.

1.  What did you do in 2016 that you'd never done before?

It really wasn't the best year for us as we tried to adjust to all the changes with Kevin's new spinal cord "event".  I did turn 49 this year.  I haven't done that before.  Watched our oldest child get married in the Temple!  Seeing our children make sacred covenants is ALWAYS a blessing.

2.  Best thing that happened to you was.....

Our oldest daughter got married.  Our oldest son got a job working for a police department.  (We always knew he would work in law enforcement.)  Our youngest son is faithfully serving a full time mission for our church.  AND last but certain not least, our youngest daughter turned 17 and is a Senior in High School.  My baby!  
3.  Did anyone close to you give birth?

No one close to us gave birth.  Besides, our oldest has only been married for 8 months and they are waiting to get to know each other a bit before they jump in and start a family.  

4.  Did anyone close to you die?

No one this year, thank goodness.  However, there have been far too many deaths of famous people over the past several weeks to make up for things though.  Wow!  

5.  What countries did you visit?

The United States, but since I live here it probably doesn't count.  We did get to travel to a state we have never seen before....Montana.  It was beautiful!  

6.  What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?

A comfortable financial situation...another words enough so that I do not need to work anymore so I can stay home and take care of my husband and the rest of my family.  So I don't have to burden my children so much with things pertaining to their Dad as well.   I think our oldest son is sticking around and not moving on with his life because he feels he needs to help me.  While I totally appreciate that, he can't put his own life on hold for us and I feel bad if this is how he feels.  I don't care if the change in financial situations comes in the form of more money or less bills to pay.  Either one, or both would be awesome!!  

7.  What dates from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

April 8, 2016.  That was the day our oldest daughter was sealed to her eternal companion and November 9, 2016, because that was the day I woke up and found out that Donald Trump won the Presidential election.  To be honest, I was quite surprised.  Frankly, I wasn't thrilled with either candidate.  I thought both were absolutely horrible, and after watching them, was this really the best we could come up with?  Sad! 

8.  What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I'd have to say surviving the year and also keeping my mouth shut and "playing nice" through the biggest trial of our lives while some people were just down right mean and nasty.  I had to.  For myself.  If I would have let anger and mean comments by rude people get to me it would have eaten me alive and we didn't have time for that.  I spent a lot of time counting my blessings.  That made all the difference and allowed me to look past the mean comments and move on because frankly we don't have time to waste being bitter and mad.   Time is precious and if we decide to waste time of those things we will lose sight of what is most important and that is our family and the relationships we have with one another.   

We also learned a few things about the friends and family we have.  They have gone above and beyond to places we never dreamed they could or would go.  They have circled the wagons and rallied around us like never before and it is simply amazing to me.  I cannot thank them enough.

9.  What was your biggest failure?

I think I can honest say there are many, but we will only share one.  Any and all attempts at exercise and dieting this year.  Not good.

10.  Did you suffer illness or injury?

I got sick, but nothing even remotely close to the kinds of things my husband is dealing with.  

11.  What was the best thing you bought?

Fleece-lined leggings are pretty awesome!  AND I don't know about "best" things I bought, but what about the best things I got rid of this year?  I got rid of the giant coffee table in our living room and I am loving that!  Take a look.


12.  Whose behavior merited celebration?

That would be my husbands.  He has come a long way in dealing with going from being able to walk on his own and then the sudden change and losing his ability to walk, going through eight weeks of intense rehabilitation with all of it's ups and downs.  Then dealing with coming home and having to learn how to deal with how other treat him now.  He does not like it when people talk down to him of give him "special" treatment because now he is in a wheelchair and cannot walk.  

The other thing he has blown me away with is how he has been a huge strength to me.  Here is a man going through so much, emotionally, physically, and yet he still can find it within himself to be an amazing support to me.  I love that man for all that he is and all that he has overcome and all that he does.  

13.  Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Oh, I'd say those that acted crazy and caused damage to businesses all because the person they wanted as President of the United States did not win.  So sad.  

14.  Where did most of your money go?

Bills.  Bills.  Bills.  

15.  What did you get really, really, really excited about?

My oldest child's wedding and reception as mentioned before.

16.  What song will always remind you of 2016?

This song.....


17.  Compared to this time last year, are you (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?

a)  I'd say happier even after all we have been through.
b) about the same unfortunately.
c) about the same unfortunately.

18.  What do you wish you'd done more of?

Trusting.  Having faith in my Heavenly Father.  

19.  What do you wish you'd done less of?

Stressing. 

20.  How did you spend New Year's Eve?

Watching movies and listening to the rain and fireworks.  Our neighbor's invited us down to their home to watch their fireworks display, but Kevin wasn't up for anything and Lexi was asleep after the Pioneer Trek.

21.  Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

  1. When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
    When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
    Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
    And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.
    • Refrain:
      Count your blessings, name them one by one,
      Count your blessings, see what God has done!
      Count your blessings, name them one by one,
      *Count your many blessings, see what God has done.
      [*And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.]
  2. Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
    Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
    Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
    And you will keep singing as the days go by.
  3. When you look at others with their lands and gold,
    Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
    Count your many blessings—*money cannot buy [*wealth can never buy]
    Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.
  4. So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
    Do not be discouraged, God is over all;
    Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
    Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end

22.  What was your favorite new TV program?

Oh, there are a couple.  Madam Secretary, Scandal (always), Bull, NCIS, and Lethal Weapon.  Tonight I'm watching a new one called Ransom and so far it's pretty good.

23.  What was the rudest thing someone did to you in 2016?

I'd rather not say.  I will say this though....we don't need that kind of drama in our lives.

24.  What was the best book you read?

I haven't done a lot of reading other than of my scriptures.

25.  What was your greatest musical discovery?

I'd say some of the musical my son listens to and the music from the Broadway musical Hamilton thanks to Lexi.  

26.  What did you want and get?

New mattresses for our children and a new sectional for the family room.  

27.  What did you want and not get?

I'd say a treadmill and a Ninja blender.  BUT, who's complaining.

28.  What was your favorite film of this year?

I'd say Zootopia and Finding Dory.

29.  What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

Celebrated with dinner and cake here with my family.  Nothing big.  AND I turned 49.

30.  What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

I'd say how amazing our ward family and my parents have been this year.  I cannot thank them enough for all they have done to help us get through this year.

31.  How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?

It's all about comfort.  I'm not a fussy person.  A pair of jeans and a nice v-neck t-shirt works for me OR when I am at home yoga pants, a t-shirt, and a long cardigan sweater with warm socks.  

32.  What kept you sane?

My faith, my therapist, and my family.

33.  Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I'd say Tia Leoni.  The lady who plays Secretary of State in Madam Secretary

34.  What political issue stirred you the most?

Seriously?!  The 2016 Presidential Election.  Need I say more?

35.  Who did you miss?

Our missionary of course.  We miss him.  Love him, BUT we do not want him home one minute before his mission is officially over.  We hope he is having the time of his life.

36.  Who was the best new person you met?

I'd say the Rehab doctor that treated Kevin.  AND.... The therapist that has helped me get through some of this. 

It's time for me to go.  Take care and we will talk again soon.  

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...