Saturday, December 3, 2016

X-mas blog count down

This morning Kyle woke up and said he was super cold and needed a new blanket for his bed.  When he showed me the blanket he was using I felt awful.  It was all worn out and he really needs a new one.  So, we made sure we took care of that for him.  Now, everyone has nice warm blankets for their beds.  Kyle and Lexi picked them out so I know they are happy with what they found.  Hopefully tomorrow Kyle will wake up all toasty warm.  Let's hope.  ~smile~smile~ 

I've become a little obsessed with throw blankets lately.  I bought a really nice one for about $12 for my office at work.  It gets so darn cold in my office that snow suits are needed.  Well, because I liked the one I got for work, I ordered another one for the house.  Then I picked up another one.  My goal is to have a few of them here in the family room hung up so anyone can grab one when they need it.  I'll show you my plans for hanging them once I get that all sorted out.  It's super simple and will keep them up off the floor.  With the sectional and TV stand in our family room now, we don't have much room for anything else.  Danielle's friend had given us the black leather couch, love seat, and recliner we had and they were already pretty worn out.  So, we opted to finally replace them.  It was Kevin's idea to go with a sectional again.  He said it was easier to keep this room picked up when we had one.  We went to that furniture store on Val Vista and Southern called In Stock.  They sell Ashley furniture for very reasonable prices.  So, we got the sectional and TV stand for a great price.  The only thing I wish the sales people would have told us was that there is a different price for delivery and delivery and set-up.  We were just told about the delivery, not the extra cost to set-up.  So, Kyle ended up drilling all the holes to put the feet on the three sectional pieces.  Luckily when we got it there was a clean sweep dumpster in our neighborhood so we didn't have to worry about putting all the cardboard in our garbage cans.  That was awesome!  Our next plans are to get a new dining room set, but that will have to wait a little bit until we find what we like.  I'd also like to maybe get some new living room furniture as well, but I'm not sure what I want there either.  Eventually I would like to replace our king sized mattress with one from Tuft and Needle as well, but we are waiting.  Kevin seems to be doing pretty well with the king sized mattress we have, but it really needs to be replaced.  I want him to try out Lexi or Kyle's bed before we go and buy one like that.  If Kevin doesn't like it, then we will have to go with something different.  Time will tell.  

Tomorrow Kevin and I are venturing out to church.  At least that's the plan.  I'm still all stuffed up and coughing like crazy, but I think I'll be able to make it through at least Sacrament Meeting.  It'll be good.  My little test run before I try to get to work on Monday.  Wish me luck.

Here's a little blog inspiration for the next few weeks while we count down until the big day!  This year, rather than one big meme about Christmas, just answer one of these each day of December.  It doesn't have to be an entire blog entry, add it to whatever you are posting.  I'm posting them and will answer here and there as we get to Christmas.  Call it a little holiday cheer each day.  By all means, share photos to go along with each item if you want.  Have fun with it.  Make it your own.  Whatever works for you. 
  1. Colored lights or white lights on your house or not at all?
  2. Hot chocolate or Egg Nog?
  3. What's your favorite holiday dish?
  4. Does Santa wrap the presents or just set them under the tree?
  5. Do you hang mistletoe?
  6. When do you put up your decorations?
  7. What's your favorite holiday tradition?
  8. What's on the top of your tree?
  9. Do you have a nativity displayed through the holidays?
  10. Candy canes, traditional or flavored? Or chocolate covered cherries?
  11. What's your favorite holiday goodie to make and share?
  12. What's your favorite Christmas song?
  13. When did you learn the truth about the "magic" of Christmas?
  14. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
  15. Is there a special ornament or Christmas decoration that you wouldn't feel like Christmas without?
  16. Do you take neighbor gifts/treats to anyone, everyone, a select few?
  17. Is your big meal on Christmas Eve, Christmas morning or Christmas afternoon?
  18. How do you decorate your tree?
  19. Snow? Love it?  Dread it?  Tolerate it?
  20. Do you remember a favorite gift as a child?
  21. Do you have a family get-together during the holidays with  extended family?
  22. What's the most important thing that you must do each Christmas season?
  23. Do you bake Christmas cookies?
  24. Do you leave cookies and milk out for Santa?
  25. Share a favorite Christmas memory.


Here are my answers to the above questions through to the 3rd....

1) Colored or white lights or none at all?
I say white lights.  We always do white lights every year.  That's the plan again this year.

I think I found something to replace the ASU pitch fork we put up last year.  We are doing a big giant snow flake.  Like this.....


2) Hot Chocolate or Egg Nog?
Hot Chocolate all the way!  In fact, Lexi wants to try the crock pot hot chocolate this year.  I hear its really yummy.  Here is that recipe....

Creamy Crock Pot Hot Chocolate
Prep time: 5 minutes
Serves: 6-8 servings, double this recipe for a party

Creamy Crock Pot Hot Chocolate, or hot cocoa, recipe to warm you up on those cold winter days.  It is a great hot drink to serve for Christmas or a party.

Ingredients
  • 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 6 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups of milk chocolate chips (can also use half semi-sweet)
I double this for a party and use a 6.5 quart crock pot which was filled almost to the very top.

Instructions
  1. Stir together the whipping cream, milk, vanilla, and chocolate chips in a 5 quart pot (if doubling, use a 6-7 quart slow cooker/crock pot)
  2. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally with whisk, until mixture is hot and chocolate chips are melted.
  3. Once it is heated through and chocolate is melted, switch the slow cooker to the warm setting.  Stir again before serving.  (If you have trouble getting the chocolate to melt, turn to high temporarily).
  4. Garnish individual cups of hot chocolate with whipped cream or marshmallows.

3) What's your favorite holiday dish?
For Christmas Eve when we get together with my family, I think I like the little roast beef sandwiches my Mom makes.  They are the best!  


Then for Christmas day, I like the ham, cheesy potatoes, and the homemade rolls.




I can't wait for Christmas.  Not because I'm expecting anything or have great expectations of any kind.  I just like the season.  It will be nice.  Love it!  Well, I should get going.  Take care and we will talk again soon.

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...