Friday, December 30, 2016

Trekkies

STOP!!!  I can hardly believe this is Friday.  There are only two days of 2016 left.  Why, at the end of the year, does it take so long to get here, and then once it's here it flies by....especially when you spend most of your time worrying and caring for others???  Funny how that happens.  Sigh.  It's going to be a long winter.

My house smells awesome today.  I've got some apples and cinnamon brewing in a small pot on the stove and the scent is heavenly!  We'll take it off the stove before too long thought.  It's wonderful, especially now that it's started to rain a little bit this evening.  I've got the windows open and that smell with the fresh rain is to die for.  Love it!

Since I'm the only one home with Kevin these past few days, I've been working on a couple tiny projects in between helping him up and down from the bed or with things he needs in the bedroom.  I've decided to move a couple pictures around.  I told you it was nothing big.  I'm just trying to find a place to hang one of Kevin's autographed jerseys he has had for quite some time and eventually his autographed helmet as well.  That way I he won't have to worry about the dogs breaking the glass on the window box frame the jersey is in each time they go charging into our bedroom.  It's really only the little dog that goes charging.  The big dog is really good.  When you tell him no, he understands and does what he is told, unless you have food, a used dinner napkin, or a used Kleenex.  (I know...to much information.  Sorry.)  

Anyway, I decided to move photos of my kids into the living room.  I've also decided it's time to get some new family photos done.  I'm hoping around the time Curtis gets home we will do something like that.  So, until then I will be using the photos I have of my kids.  I have about four old windows sitting around the house and I decided to use one to do something like this.  

This is what my old window looks like.


I got this window for a steel and it's been sitting in our back room for quite some time.  One of the glass panes is missing and I've been trying to decide what I want to do with it.  Well, I've decided to remove the glass in the remaining three panes.  My plan is to hang the window on the wall and since the glass is a little lose I don't want to have to worry about anyone getting hurt if the window falls or something.  So out with the glass.

Then I have some blank 8 x 10 size canvas like this.


I decided to mod podge my kids photos to four separate 8 x 10 size canvas and let them dry.  Then once they are dry I plan to hang each canvas in one of the window pane openings on the wall sort of like this, but without the cutesy bow.


But, really more like this......


Then the other windows and things that I have I plan to hang a few other photos as well.  I want a nice color photo of Danielle and Chance in one of the windows.  Then maybe a really nice family photo in another, and possibly a photo of Kevin and I in another.  So far I've only had the chance to get the glass out of the window and that's it for this project so far.  It's been a busy Kevin day.  

You should see the cute gift my brother and his wife dropped off to us last night.  Since we didn't have Christmas Eve at our house this year, and since Kevin was in the hospital, we all decided to wait until Kevin was out of the hospital to exchange gifts.  Take a look.

  




They made us a luminaries and it stands up off the table top.  They personalized it just for us and it's really cool when it's all lit up.  We love it.  Kevin thought it was very cool.  Now we need to find the perfect place for it.  I'm thinking right next to our television on the TV cabinet.  Love it!

It's getting cold outside here with the rain.  Yay!  My body likes the cooler weather, but my asthma hates it.  Kevin wants to someday move away to someplace that gets cold in the winter.  In fact, he had his heart set on moving to Pennsylvania to a lake front property eventually.  I guess we may have to settle for something not quite so cold for me.  I also think his pain would be through the roof if we moved someplace colder.  It's fun to think about though.  Right now, just rainy weather bothers us both so we are holed up and keeping cozy with our new Christmas pajamas and curled up with our warm cozy blankets.  

Tonight if all goes well, I might start reading my new book.  Well, new to me.  It's a book by Joan Didion called, The Year of Magical Thinking.  Here is what the inside cover of the book says.  See if you can figure out why this book interested me.

......."Several days before Christmas 2003, John Gregory Dunne and Joan Didion saw their only daughter, Quintana, fall ill with what seemed at first flu, then pneumonia, then complete septic shock.  She was put into an induced coma and placed on life support.  Days later--the night before New Year's Eve--the Dunnes were just sitting down to dinner after visiting the hospital when John Gregory Dunne suffered a massive and fatal coronary.  In a second, this close, symbiotic partnership of forty years was over.  Four weeks later, their daughter pulled through.  Two months after that, arriving at LAX, she collapsed and underwent six hours of brain surgery at UCLA Medical Center to relieve a massive hematoma.
   This powerful book is Didion's attempt to make sense of the "weeks and then months that cut loose and fixed idea I ever had about death, about illness....about marriage and children and memory....about the shallowness of sanity, about life itself."

Now, I have never read anything written by Joan Dideon, but do you understand why I would be intrigued to give this book a try?  Sounds a little bit like my own life, right?  Just a bit.  Thank heavens only a tiny bit.  All in all, it sounds like it might give me another's point of view and at least get me thinking.

I hate to say it, but I'm not finished with taking down all the Christmas decorations.  I only had a tree and two little Christmas signs put up in the house.  Those are all put away.  Then I realized I have a wreath on the door that needs to come down, and a string of lights around my living room window (my poor attempt to put lights up outside), and a poinsettia.  I usually wait to take care of them on New Year's Day , but I don't want to wait to pack up all the decorations.  I just want it done.  So, when the rain stops, I will run out and get it done.  It shouldn't take but a couple of minutes.  Super quick.  Love it!  I'm telling you, doing Christmas the super simple way has been freeing for me this year.  It's been great!  Besides, stressing about it wasn't worth the trouble this year.  I just didn't have it in me.

My hubby had a good follow-up visit at the doctor's yesterday.  He still needs to finish all of his medications before he can have a test run to make sure the sepsis is gone.  That will happen the first part of nest week.  Everything else looked good.  His chest was clear and his blood pressure was 112/70.  That was amazing!  Kevin usually has excellent blood pressure when he isn't in pain.  When he is in pain it shoots up to numbers like 148/90.  He still has to watch and make sure he is drinking lots and lots of water and he is still pretty weak, but these other things are steps in the right direction.  More to come as the days go by.  We hope to keep Kevin moving forward.  No going backwards.  

I had some fun with the camera and Lexi just before she left on the Pioneer Trek.  Remember, this was the girl that didn't want to go on the Trek about a week ago.  In fact, she flat out refused.  Funny how things change.  Kevin and I knew she would make the right choice and decide to go.  It just took a little time for her to make her own decision.  We are proud of her for choosing to go.  We had a little fun with the camera and Lexi just before she left.  She didn't want her picture taken, but I had to get a picture of her in those "lovely" Pioneer clothes.  ~smile~smile~  (check out the tennis shoes under the dress.)


Without the bonnet

with the bonnet....and look at those turquoise shoes.


side view of the bonnet.  Notice the slight giggle.

Talk to the hand, Mom!


Lexi cracking up when she realized she had to leave the house in this get up.  She was worried people driving by the church would mistake the group for Amish folks or something.  


This was the hurry up Mom, take the flippin picture already look.  


Another laughing moment.  


With the Pioneer looking jacket, but no bonnet and a smile.


with the Pioneer jacket and the smirk to say, sheesh Mom...enough already!

Lexi didn't want her picture taken because she knew I would post the photos on my blog.  Then her Dad told her to let me take the photos.  Love it when the hubby takes my side.  LOL!  In all seriousness...Lexi looks pretty darn cute and happy in this "get-up".  She has two other Pioneer outfits packed in the five gallon bucket they wanted her to use.  I made her model them all for me.  One was this super Pioneer-like purple dress with buttons down the front from top to bottom.  Then the other was a multi-colored skirt with an off-white blouse.  I didn't get any photos of her in those outfits, but hopefully someone on the Trek did and will give us copies.  Lexi is a great sport for letting me take these photos and we know she will have fun on this activity.  The group went to a place called Dugas, AZ.  It's about halfway between New River, AZ and Prescott, AZ.  It's raining here, so you can imagine what kind of weather our stake is experiencing the three days and two nights they are away.  These kids are going to come home cold, tired, and hungry!  I had planned on making enchiladas for Christmas day, but never got around to it.  Kyle has been reminding me every single day since then.  I'm thinking if I get the chance, tomorrow night or Sunday might be a good day to make them.  Maybe Kevin will be up for eating something a little spicy by them as well.  

Well, I should get going.  I've got to go check on the hubby now.  Take care my friends an we will talk again soon.


 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...