Thursday, December 29, 2016


This morning we received a call from our primary care physician wanting to set up a follow-up appointment for Kevin.  I missed the call and they left a message for Kevin.  I called them back and set-up the appointment and told Kevin about once it was set up.  They tried to get him in today but they didn't have anything available.  They must be busy with the holiday.  When I told Kevin about the appointment he had a surprised look on his face, but he didn't say anything and I didn't think anything of the look he gave me. 

Earlier tonight Kevin started questioning me about the appointment.  He asked me if I called to set up the appointment and just made it sound like the doctor's office called us.  Kevin flat out didn't believe me until I offered to let him hear their voicemail message.  Kevin thought I was just trying to trick him into going to the doctor.  Ha!  Trust me, I would trick him if I had to since he is so stubborn about things like that.  Silly man. 

 Kevin said, "Oh, then this was the doctor's way of just trying to make some money by calling to make follow-up appointments."  I said "no it wasn't.  This was their way of saying, we are concerned about you".  I then said, "think about it Kevin, they've never called to set up follow-up appointments when you were admitted for your regular bladder infections.  This one was really bad.  I said you could have died.  No joke, this one could have killed you.  You had severe sepsis!"  

  Then I proceeded to explain just how serious this last hospital stay was for him.  I made sure he understood that severe sepsis is nothing to mess around with.  I said, "this is the kind of sepsis where your bodily organs start to shut down and your tissue dies".  I said, "nurses, RN's, don't normally go with a patient to every single test they have in a hospital!!   Usually it's just an orderly.  A registered nurse has too much to do to be pulled away just to escort a patient for all of their tests".  I said, "they had to go because they were concerned that he would crash on them and no one would be around who was trained to start CPR in the event that something happened.  They needed someone with you that could notify the Emergency Room team that comes running on the code blue calls for in-house patients that crash".  I said, "this wasn't your average bladder infection.  We could have lost you!"

  I said, "If we would have waited any longer we could have been planning your funeral right now and having to notify friends and family. So, no, your doctor's office is not making calls to patients to set up follow-up visits just to make money, they are actually concerned about you.  In fact, this same doctor's office was the same doctor's office that called and scheduled Lexi's appointment when she was 5 years old with the pediatric cardiologist when she was in need of a cardiac work up just prior to her open heart surgery.  Remember that?!  This is the kind of doctor's office we are dealing with.  They care about us and work hard to make sure you are taken care of.  So, no!  I didn't call and make it sound like the doctor's office just called.  They really did call!" 

When Kevin could tell I was done with my little rant, he knew there was no way he was getting out of this upcoming appointment.  (Nice try old man!)  Then I proceeded to tell him that we intend to keep him around for as long as humanly possible, and from now on, we aren't going to listen to him anymore when he says he is fine and doesn't need to go see a doctor.  This was his last time!  

Kevin was there every single day and heard the doctors explain what he had, why we all had to wear masks in the room when we went to see him, and why they were concerned with the test results.  He heard the diagnosis.  He heard the concerns about sepsis from the Emergency Room doctor and the three other doctor's that came in to see him.  I think he was just a little out of it for it all to sink in.  I'm hoping I was able to explain the severity of things to him tonight.  He still is pretty weak and a little out of it at times so we just might have to have this conversation again.  I'm hoping not, but if we do, we do.  

Tonight Lexi got her things together and packed.  The youth in our stake are going on a Pioneer Trek this weekend.  Lexi had to round up and pack everything in a five gallon bucket and get it down to the church building tonight between 6:30 and 8PM.  They leave tomorrow.  At first Lexi didn't want to go, but as soon as Kevin was released from the hospital she decided to go.  She received a Priesthood blessing tonight so we know she will have a good time and be taken care of.  It will be good.

After Kevin finally settled down and fell asleep tonight I was actually able to get something done.  I took down the Christmas tree.  It didn't take very long and it went back in the box just as nice as it was to set up.  Love that!  I would have waited until the weekend, but I just needed to get it out of the way.  I'm hoping by the end of the weekend we will have the living room back to normal again.  Right now you can't even sit on the couch because it has become the catch all for everything.  I've got Kevin's hospital stuff there, the Christmas lights are still there, and a few unwrapped presents are still on the couch.  Namely, Kevin's presents.  BUT, all that matters is that there is one things finally done and eventually where the Christmas tree was, one of living room chairs will be put back in it's original place.  Below is a photo of where the tree use to be.  (My living room walls always look yellow in photos, but they are actually beige.) 

I know it's not much, but it's something.  Since Kevin's hospital stay I'm worn out!  I don't know if it's just the stress of everything or what.  Time will tell. Well, I should get going.  Take care and we will talk again soon.

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...