Sunday, December 11, 2016

Doctor's Orders: A Quiet Sunday


Found out a couple of things Friday that I didn't know about my asthma.  
  1. It's not uncommon for my respiratory flare ups to last eight weeks due to the complications asthma and allergies cause whenever I get even a simple cold or the flu.  That these things do lead to bronchitis and pneumonia for people with asthma.  The trick to avoiding this is the keep up with the preventive care that I have been doing like using my daily inhaler and now taking the new medication the doctor prescribed.  
  2. That I need to make an appointment with my doctor to develop my asthma action/prevention plan for future flare ups.  (What the heck is that??)
  3. Keeping heartburn symptoms in check is key to avoiding asthma flare ups.  

Who knew?!  I was really feeling pretty bad about it taking me so darn long to get to the point that I could return to work and also function as a human being out in the world.  Now, I don't feel as bad.  I couldn't believe eight weeks when I heard that!  Holy cow!  That's a long time.  I know bronchitis and pneumonia can linger, I guess I really didn't understand how much asthma complicates things.  I have always wondered why I always seemed to get hit so hard whenever I'd get even a simple cold.  Now I understand a little better.  I'm still not happy about getting sick and all that happened, but I get it now.  I also understand why some parents almost run whenever they see a sick person and why getting immunized for the whooping cough is such a big deal for anyone that gets around new babies now a days.  I'm a believer!  I need to take the same precautions with myself now because of how my asthma complicates things for me and I need to do those things that keep me healthy.  Wow!  I really have learned a lot over the past several weeks.  I have to say, getting sick this last time, I learned so much.  Things I know I never would have learned if I would have gone into my doctor's office healthy.  I'm not glad I got sick, but I am glad I learned so much.  Thanks doc!

I had a rough night last night.  I was coughing and hacking like I was the few days just before I went back to work.  So, not as bad as it was at it worst, but bad enough to make me pay attention and grab my rescue inhaler, use it, keep in close by, and it reminded me to take me singulair.  Today I seem to be a bit better than last night.  Holy Cow!  I also need to run and pick up some more Mucinex.  The doctor gave me some from his office samples and I just ran out Friday.  I think that helps.  Speaking of medications.  I normally keep my daily medications in this pill container with seven small compartments.  It was small enough to hold the couple daily medications I take along with some Tylenol, Motrin, and some B vitamins.  Well, after my eight week ordeal, my daily medications have gone up from a couple to several and my purse wouldn't hold all the pill bottles, so I picked up a new and bigger 7 compartment pill container.  This one has room enough to put the Tylenol and Motrin in the same compartment, then I have a separate compartment for all the others I take daily.  I never would have dreamed I'd be taking 6 different daily medications like I am now.  Sheesh!  One of the medications will stop in a day.  My antibiotic.  Then one of the others is for my cough when it flares up.  Another is for my allergies.  Did you know that Zantac helps block some allergies?  I didn't know that either until my doctor gave it to me when I got that head to toe rash.  He told me to keep it on me at all times.  I guess it blocks out the things my allergy medication does not.  I'm telling you, I really learned a lot!  A blessing in disguise for sure!!!  

Enough about that.  On to other things.  Let's do another Meme.

1.  What is some of your favorite music?
I am a long time rock and roll kind of girl!  Especially stuff from the 70's and 80's.  I do find myself listening to a little country from time to time though.  Very rarely do I listen to classical or jazz.  I'm talking it's rare.

2.   List your three favorite scents.
The smell in the air after a rain storm, homemade bread baking in the over, and the smell of fresh apples and cinnamon brewing in a pot of warm water.  I also like a lot of the scents of the holidays.  There are some amazing candles out there.  One of my favorite scents was found by my daughter and her husband.  They got it at Bath and Body Works.  It's called Sunny Coconut, but they don't make it anymore.  I happened to find a few of those plug in refills on E-Bay though.  Yay!  

3.  How do you ground yourself or recharge?
My favorite way, especially if grounding is my goal, is to spend some time in prayer and reading my scriptures.  I also spend time talking with my family.  We help each other get our heads on straight.  If the goal is recharging, I might do the same thing I do for grounding myself or I might blast some fun music and sing and dance along.  Sometimes a little rest is what is called for....a good night's sleep or getting lost in a movie on Netflix or maybe a walk to get some fresh air and clear my head.

4.  Any ways you treat or spoil yourself?
I love pedicures!  I don't get them often enough so they certainly are a nice treat from time to time.  My favorite way to treat myself is maybe a new purse or something fun for the house, but I don't get to do that very often either.  I'm THE MOM, I always come last.  Isn't that the way it is for all Moms??

5.  Besides your blog, do you have a creative past-time?
I like crafts.  Pretty much any kind.  My favorite thing is finding inexpensive ways to decorate my home with my very tight budget.  It's fun!  Especially when I can save tons of money doing whatever it is that I want to do.  There still are some things I want to do that just do not fit into the family budget, but usually when that happens I either end up finding something new to do instead anyway.  It's funny how that works.  

6.  Share something difficult you've been through.
Being thrown under the bus by people we believe to be very dear friends when we all were having the same kind of problems at the time.  I think betrayal like that hurts more because we expect friends to know better so I tend to let my guard down around them.  When someone like that hurts me, it cuts to the quick.

7.  What helps you fall asleep?
Usually it's being exhausted at the end of each day.  I usually have no problem falling asleep unless it's a Sunday night.  That's the only time I can't seem to go to sleep right away.

8.  What is one strength and one weakness of yours?
I'd say my strength is that I am forgiving (I NEVER forget, but I can forgive) and a weakness is that I worry too much about what people think of me.

9.  Have you ever received a letter or written one to someone  else?
Not recently, but when I was younger I was a great letter writer.  I wrote pages and pages to people who lived away.  Most of them also wrote back.  I miss that.  Emails and texts messages are fine, but there was something so satisfying about a letter in the mail to savor and enjoy and save.  Kevin and I use to write back and forth when he was on his mission.  We have a whole box in the garage of letters we both wrote to each other.

10.  What makes you feel powerful, what breathes life into you?
I know I'm not powerful.  I only get through things with the help of my Heavenly Father, I couldn't make it without Him.  As for breathing life into me,.....a spontaneous activity,....a trip,......good music.....hanging out with my friends and family.  

11.  What's your favorite thing to do at night?
Either sleep, play around on the computer, or watch something on Netflix, Hulu, CBS, or a movie from Amazon.

12.  If you could go back to any era, what would they be?
I'd have to say, probably the 70's or 80's.  I was just a kid and I remember it as being a much simpler world and time.  Safer too.

13.  Your favorite things to wear at home?
Yoga pants, a v-neck t-shirt, warm socks or my slippers, and my long light cardigan sweater.  Once in a while it's fleece-lined leggings and a long sleeve t-shirt or my pajamas.  I wear the yoga pants because if I need to go out for anything I'm still semi-dressed.  You know, driving Lexi to places or running to the grocery store or pharmacy.  Love those yoga pants!  I have two pairs that I wear, depending on which ones are clean.  One black and one navy.  There is always a pair in the wash and one clean when I come home from work.  Love them!!   

14.  If you could be immortal or have an extremely long life span which would you pick and why?
I don't know. I don't think I'd want to be immortal and have to watch everyone I know and love die generation after generation.  On the flip-side....I've never heard of immortals being ill, so that might be better than being really old and having a failing body or a scrambled brain.

15.  Tell us about something positive you have done for yourself or someone recently.
Remember, I'm a wife and mother to four children....almost all of them are adults.  So, I'd say every day I do something positive and nice for them.  BUT, the most recent was a pep talk with my husband helping him through a tough situation.  I have a feeling we will have more and more of those.  The only issue I have with those talks is that now that he is back on the pain medications he usually wants to initiate them around 2 or 3 in the morning.  That's not a good time for me.  He has no concept of time when he is on those things.  Arg!  Another thing I have done for someone is setting up some classes for someone.  We won't go into those details yet.  

16.  One thing you like about your appearance?
I'd say my curly hair.  I never thought I'd say that!  I had naturally curly hair when I was a baby until I received my first haircut.  It's a relatively new development.  Up until  recently, I had pretty straight hair.  It's only been about the last 5 years that it seems to curl up all on it's own if I let it air dry.  I bought a diffuser some time ago to help bring out the curls when I want a quick hair style.   It's great!  Love it!!  Now to dye the roots again!

17.  Something that makes you feel better after a hard day?
A hot shower.  Sometimes....and I mean sometimes.......the excited greetings from our dogs.  Nobody else is ever quite that excited to see me every single time I walk through the door no matter what else is going on.

18.  If you have one, name a favorite book & movie.
I don't really have a favorite book or movie.  It's been so long since I read a book other than my scriptures and I seldom get to the movies, although, my son got us tickets to go to the movies this week.  We are seeing something Kevin and Kyle have been dying to see.  It'll be nice to get out and go see a show.

19.  BONUS:  How do you feel about beards?
My husband and our oldest son nearly always have one.  In fact, I think I forgot what they looked liked before.  LOL!  I don't mind a well kept beard, and I mean very well groomed.  I really prefer a clean shaved face over any facial hair.  I will say that not all beards are created equally and not all men look good in a beard.  And I really LOATHE the whole hipster beard/man-bun look.  Just saying!  

It's time for Madam Secretary and time to get ready for tomorrow.  The quote for today is actually meant for Monday.  Hope your weekend was relaxing and wonderful.  Take care and we will talk again soon.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...