Monday, November 21, 2016

Turkey Day is on it's way!

Well, I'm glad I went back to the doctor.   He said I can now say I  have had the trifecta or hit the sickness lottery, so to speak.  LOL!  My asthma/respiratory fun, with my allergies, and then my body reacted with this crazy rash.  He said this could just be the final stages of this illness I've had with the rash being the last part.  (Hopefully!) He said I'm like a little kid that has this super hot fever and then breaks out in the rash.  I feel like a little kid.  Sick all the time.  He prescribed more steroids and another medication to help cut down the mess of a rash I have.  I'll be on it for another week.  I'm not happy about the steroids, but my fear of gaining weight on them didn't happen this last time.  In fact, I have lost 9 pounds in one week.  Yay me!  That makes me happy.  He then noticed this thing on my neck and ordered a bunch of tests.  He ordered a bunch of lab work for my rash.  They are doing all kinds of blood tests.  And now I have an ultrasound of my neck to schedule to have done.  He asked me if it felt like I had something stuck in my throat.  I said last night it did, but today my throat is just super soar.  As far as the growth or changes he said you can visibly see it on my neck, he is checking me for a tumor or something.  That's obvious.  I'm not freaked out about it....Yet.  My dad had a growth on his neck some years ago.  He had to have it surgically removed, which I wouldn't like, but all was well after that.  I'm hoping that mine is just part of this funky rash and/or the swelling in my feet causing some craziness in other parts of my body as well.  The doctor couldn't believe how bad the rash was.  He even called in another doctor to take a look at it and the lump or changes he saw in my neck,  just to be sure of what he thought he was seeing.  They both looked me up and down.  Then the one examined my throat with that lovely tongue depressor and then he put on some gloves and examined the left side of my lower mouth and jaw for anything like a noticeable growth.  I think he got his entire hand in my mouth.  I don't think he found anything other than tenderness.  I'm telling you! 

The doctor then asked about Kevin and how he is doing.  I said he is doing great!  He's even been out and about with Kyle all over the place, while I've been dealing with all this crazy stuff.  Surprisingly, Kevin, Kyle and Lexi have been pretty darn healthy so far.  Just me with the whatever this is.  I told the doctor I have made it a point to try and stay out of the cool weather, even though I absolutely love it.  He said, yeah, your asthma doesn't love it.  So, keep that in mind.  He's not kidding!  As soon as a slight chill hit the air I got sick.  It's just not fair.  Well, that's what's going on with me.  I'm hoping this is finally coming to an end.    

Kyle called home from work tonight to tell me he got another day off this week.  He said that way he can help out more around the house as we get ready for Thanksgiving since I will be working the days right before.  I have to say, I love that kid.  He has been amazing!  I don't know what I would do without him.   I'm scheduled to pick up the fresh turkey and ham tomorrow after work.  Yay!  That will make getting the bird ready on Thanksgiving that much easier.  I'll still have to roast it, but I won't have to worry about thawing it out.  That's always the rough part.  Making sure it gets completely thawed.  I'm just happy I don't have to worry about that step.  Lexi has been a big help around the house as well and will help me in the kitchen on Thanksgiving Day.  I am so glad she will be able to help.  We plan to bake pies the night before and I'm thinking about trying a new method for roasting the turkey too.  I plan to use a roasting bag.  I'll flour the bag, season the turkey like I always do, and then put it in the roasting pan Breast side down and start it roasting just as we go to bed on low temperature of about 285 degrees and will let it cook all night long.  I hear this method let's the dark meat drippings marinade the white meat so it's super tender and moist.  I'm used to a drier turkey, but hey, we can give this a try.  Plus then my oven will be free to bake the ham, rolls and other dishes I have planned.  Not to mention, I won't have to get up super early Thanksgiving morning to get the bird in the oven.  Nothing too crazy.  Well that's enough about me.  Let's do something fun.

Well, let's do this....How about a Thanksgiving MEME.....

1) Do you cook all or part of the meal?
I cook every single bite!  If we have guests I always invite them to bring drinks or a dessert and even if they do, I prepare exactly the same menu to a "T" every single Thanksgiving Day.  I also cook even if we end up at someone else's home for the big meal.  It just isn't Thanksgiving if you don't cook a turkey yourself.  In the minds of those who live in our home, Thanksgiving is supposed to taste exactly the way I cook it and no one else's recipes will do.  Not that I think mine is the best, it's just what is expected.  Everyone LOVES my stuffing.  In fact, I had my son-in-law let me know he was expecting a lot of that for his plate this year.  

2) How much do you spend buying groceries for the meal?
It gets a little higher each year, I notice, and I use the same shopping list from year to year.  This year, the actual meal was almost $300.  It's the most expensive meal of the year every year, but it does mean tasty leftovers for the whole week! 

3) Do you eat at home or go to someone else's?
We use to switch off between going to my parents home and Kevin's parent's home.  After my father-in-law passed away we kind of got away from that.  We had a couple Thanksgivings here at our house, and all the others over at my BIL/SIL house.  This year we are having Danielle and Chance over and having dinner at our place.  When we go someplace else it's fun, it's always delish, but it wasn't OUR Thanksgiving.  Always at home is best.

4) Describe your perfect bite? 
Mashed potatoes, stuffing, a tiny bit of turkey, with gravy.  Aaaaaaahhhhhh!

5) White meat or dark meat?
We all prefer white meat here in our family.

6) Stuffing with giblets or without? 
Seriously?!  You would have to touch them, so absolutely NOT!  I make a sausage stuffing from scratch without bird guts and it's awesome!

7) Anything you won't eat at the Thanksgiving meal?
I would say sweet potato pie and pickles and olives.  Oh, but that's all the time, not just at Thanksgiving.  I make a large veggie tray and an olive and pickle tray each Thanksgiving for all of us.  I love that because we can eat fresh veggies all day long.

8) Carve Mr. Gobble at the table or served on a platter?
We serve Mr. Gobble on a platter.  Mostly because it's just easier that way.

9) Favorite pie?
At Thanksgiving....pumpkin!  All time favorite, lemon merrange.
For the family, pumpkin at Thanksgiving.  I'm also making chocolate eclair for Kyle.  That's his all time favorite dessert.  I mentioned before, we are making pumpkin, apple, have a chocolate and a lemon, and are still working on a pecan.  I need to pick up some vanilla ice-cream for the apple.  (adding that to the shopping list now)

10) Formal table or Chinet?
Formal on new dishes.  BUT, we most likely will be eating around the T.V. so we can watch the games and maybe a movie or two.

11) Your Menu:
Turkey
Ham
Homemade mashed potatoes & Gravy
Cheesy Potatoes
Sausage Stuffing
Homemade Rolls with butter and Strawberry Jam
Green beans
Homemade Macaroni and cheese (a little southern style and Lexi requested it.)
Corn on the Cob (Kyle's request)
Cran-strawberry Salad with Pineapple, Apple, pecans, and whipped topping
Cranberry sauce
Veggie Tray
Pickle and olive tray
Some fresh fruit 
Apple Juice with Sprite served slushy style
Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Lemon Meringue Pie
Chocolate Pie
Pecan Pie
and possibly some cranberry nut bread and some cookies

12) Favorite leftover?
Sliced turkey with just a little salt.  BUT, I also like the mashed potatoes and stuffing as well.

13) Extended family, friends, both or just the immediate family for dinner?
I say invite the town, the more the merrier!  BUT, this year it's just our immediate family and I am a-okay with that.  Surprisingly so is my husband.  

14) After dinner, do you go to the latest movie or watch football on TV or just a turkey induced snooze?
Football!  Although, we have talked about going to the movies this year.  Kevin actually wants to see a movie.  In all our years of being married, going to the movies was never something he wanted to do.  Now all of a sudden he wants to go.  Wow!  I don't know if it's because he doesn't like any of the football teams playing this year or if there is just a good movie he wants to see.  I'll have to ask him.  We also have some plans for the days after Thanksgiving.  They are all going shooting.  That should be fun.

15) Do you watch the Macy's Parade?
Always!  Have to have it on in the background as I am preparing the meal.  It's one of my childhood memories.  Watching the parade with my Mom.

16) Christmas decorations up before or after Thanksgiving?
Up  right after dinner.  Now, it's the weekend after Thanksgiving.  BUT, with Kyle's work schedule we are thinking of getting them up before Thanksgiving just to save him all the trouble.  That way we can relax and enjoy the weekend with everyone else instead of be in a mess while decorating.  We have a new Christmas tree coming this year.  I can't wait to get it up and decorate it!  Yay!

17) Black Friday shopping or sleeping in?
I have mixed feelings on his one.  I've done it and love it, done it and thought it was completely insane, and stayed home and just relaxed.  One thing that I do always do on Black Friday is go to a huge craft fair some time that day.  This year it will have to be in the afternoon.  They are crazy but lots of fun!  Can't wait.

18) Any special Thanksgiving traditions?
We like to share and reflect on the things that we are most grateful for.  Sometimes it's a formal thing we do around the table, and sometimes it's casually as we are preparing the meal.  Sometimes it's sweet and tender.  Other times, we laugh until the tears come.  My favorite thing about Thanksgiving is that this is the day that we pull out the Christmas music.  When I hear the Mannheim Steamroller trumpets begin, it means Christmas is officially here!! 

19) Favorite thing about Thanksgiving?
It's such a casual day and usually surrounded by family and loved ones.  I do most of the prep work the day before.  The rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy are the only things that take prep that day.  This year is even more laid back since we are eating around the TV on TV trays with the dogs outside.  I'm excited to spend the day playing, talking, relaxing and enjoying each other's company.  I LOVE THANKSGIVING!

20) Favorite Thanksgiving memory?
Mine is of spending Thanksgiving with my parents, siblings, uncle, and grandparents.  One year I went with a friend up to her families cabin for Thanksgiving.  That was a lot of fun.  I wouldn't mind doing that again with our family sometime.  I think that would be awesome.  I love the years that we've had guests, family, and friends.  I love the traditions, the official, "Let the holidays begin" feeling.  Every Thanksgiving is my favorite Thanksgiving.

21) Share your favorite Thanksgiving recipe:

I'll have to look up the recipe, but I make this Raspberry, Orange, Pineapple jello salad.  It's tart and yummy.  I just can't recall all he details and don't want to pull the recipe book out just yet.  More to come on that recipe though.
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...