Sunday, November 20, 2016

Next.....

First, let me apologize for being MIA lately.  This whole showering twice every morning (one right after the other) thing is frustrating to say the least.  Mornings are bad, really bad lately.  I am still hacking and coughing and all things that make it neccessary to shower a second time every single morning (I'll spare you all the details).  It's so irritating and it wears me out completely!  I'm so tired of it.  Then by around two or three in the afternoon I actually feel okay enough to try to do something like a load of laundry or something.  There have been a couple of days that by the afternoon I felt really good, but only a couple.  So, whatever this stuff is I'm not liking it at all.  I'm tired of feeling all hot and sweaty and tired and weak...not to mention the coughing and hacking as well.  It's not good.  Why?  That's what I want to know.  Why is this happening to me?  My doctor says my condition is made worse because I have allergies and because I also have asthma.  I never really believed the whole asthma thing until he finally explained how they all work together, which makes this new condition even worse.  I thought I had asthma because I was heavier.  The doctor said no, it's because I have these allergies that bring on the asthma.  I did also talk to him about my future plans (once I'm better) to start dieting.  He immediately stopped me and said try not to think of this as a diet (because he hates that word).  He said think of this as a life style change and start out slow.  Make little changes and build from there.  He said don't decide to start running every day and try to start off running a mile from the start because I'll just be setting myself up to fail, but start out slow with walking and build up to other things.  We talked about not being so concerned with dropping pounds, but being more concerned with how I feel instead.  He then offered some things that he can do along the way to help me reach my goals if I get going and start to level out and need a boost.  We talked about how my thyroid condition and the medication I take helps that.  We talked about possibly changing my dosage and how and why it can't just be increased.  He said if i jumped from one dose to a higher one right away and didn't take it slowly as a doctor directed, it could cause me to have a heart attack and die.  I never understood why that could happen and why it's so important to take my medication every single day, first thing in the morning and hours before I eat or drink anything.  He said it's because of how it effects my metabolism.  Who knew??  I have to say, these visits with my doctor lately have been eye opening!!  I'm not happy I got sick, but if I had not, I never would have learned so much.  I'm not kidding.  I feel like I finally get it and now I want to work really hard to get healthy and stay healthy.  I'm convinced!   If nothing else, this has really driven that fact home to me.  I need to take better care of myself.  Not just for Me, but for Kevin and my children.  For so long I have spent most of my time and energy taking care of everyone else.  You know, I was doing what every other mother does.  Well, in trying to take care of my family I was cutting corners for myself and that has made it so I am the one hit the hardest now.  But, I have been given a lot of new things to help, I'm totally revamping my diet as we speak, AND I was given some excellent advise from my doctor and some things to think about for the future.  I am so very grateful to this doctor for taking the time to really go above and beyond to help me.  He has been amazing!  What a blessing!  

I even went over a "clean eating" program that I wanted to try.  He said go for it as soon as I felt up to it!  He encouraged me to start right away because it would only help me to feel better quicker.  He loved the food changes and food prep ideas.  I'm so excited!  I have a co-worker that suffers from a muscular condition and her diet plays a huge factor in how she feels from day to day.  She can't have things like gluten because of how it effects her joints and muscles.  If memory serves me, she has a form of Muscular Dystrophy, a rare form.  I've been doing this "clean eating" thing for exactly one week now and I have already seen some big changes in myself.  Things like my clothes already feel a lot loser and I haven't been exercising yet simply because I am still sick with this other junk.  BUT, I understand more now how things like gluten can increase the swelling and joint pain my co-worker experiences every single day.  I have to say, my co-worker has also been an awesome source for recipes that are gluten free.  That girl has found a way to make all kinds of things.  She bakes cakes and cookies and has made her own pizza dough and all kinds of things.  I am always amazed at what she makes and how good it really is.  She's awesome!  I can't wait to tell her what my doctor and I talked about because she will totally get it.  My oldest daughter and her husband have been doing this whole clean eating for some time now.  Danielle says that if she eats fast food now she gets sick.  She has completely changed her diet too.  I mentioned before that I kicked the soda habit at the beginning of this year, right?  Well, I would drink lemonade now.  Not anymore.  I only drink water now and I don't notice a craving for the other and I NEVER had a caffeine headache either.  My friend Bev said the same thing when she stopped drinking soda.....no caffeine headache like she was told would happen.  I remember switching to diet soda and experiencing a caffeine headache.  Or what I thought was one.  Now I know it was the artificial sweeteners causing the headaches.  And those make me get an awful rash so I knew I couldn't drink those.  That was the reason I switched to lemonade, but that's changed now too.

My youngest daughter is super excited to also do the clean eating thing with me.  She won't do all the shakes with me, but she will eat the same foods I will be eating.  Kevin and Kyle are the ones that will take more convincing.  They are my only soda drinkers in the house.  That needs to change.  Especially Kevin.  It's not good for him at all.  He's coming around though and we will get him switched.  This will be a good thing for all of us.  Yay!!  

Enough about me.  Let's do something fun.  How about a MEME?  

1) Did you have an accident last year?
Funny you ask.  Last night Kyle and Lexi ran to Target together and while they were out Kyle called the house asking if I could get out of bed, get dressed, and bring him a copy of his insurance card because he hit a car in the Target parking lot.  The first thing I thought about was No, I really don't want to do that.  Kyle said, "Let me double check the glove box in my car....then he said, oh, I think I found it."  As the two of them walked through my front door.  He was totally kidding.  He didn't hit any parked cars.  He just wanted to freak his mother out.  Ornry kid!  

As far as I am concerned, no I haven't have any car like accidents.  Falling or slipping type accidents....I've had a few and I'm sure my family can tell you all the humiliating funny stories if you ask them.  What can I say, I'm a klutz. 

2) Do you have any famous relatives?
I think so.  I believe we have some relatives who were in the movie business, if I remember correctly.  I'd have to double check with my Mom and Dad.  My Father in Law use to do Home Depot commercials before he passed away.  

3) Did you ever have a kiss under the moonlight?
Many times.

4) Have you ever been jealous?
Yes, but it's something I strive not to be.  I would like to think I'm getting better about it all the time.

5) How can you prove your love to someone?
By being consistently faithful in not only your words, but your actions as well.

6) What are you thinking right now?
That I'm just thankful that I am not coughing and hacking right at this moment.

7) Have you ever sacrificed something important to you for someone you love?
Of course I have.  I'm married and a parent (even though most of my children are adults now).  I think anyone who takes on either of those roles and is at all successful at them has made many sacrifices.  So, yes, I absolutely have!

8) Can you live without Internet?
I can, but I don't want to and I wouldn't be very happy without it.

9) Have you been so emotional that you can't find words to explain how you feel?
That happens to me all the time.  I have a very easier time with written words, but find that I have a harder time expressing myself verbally.  

10) Did you ever badmouth someone?
I'm not going to lie.  Yes.  BUT, it's something I try not to do.  I'm trying to remember the golden rule...."If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all."  I'm trying.  So far, I'm doing okay with that.

11) What do you prefer, jeans of skirts?
Jeans.  I'm not a dressy, fussy person at all.  In fact, I would really prefer comfy sweats or yoga pants over jeans any day.

12) Do you have trust issues?
BIG TIME!!!  I put up major walls and don't let many people get close because I've nearly been destroyed by both friends and family at one time or another.  I'll be 50 next year.  Those walls have been up for a long time.  Some have recently been reinforced and back up by my husband and children to support me, so I don't think those walls will ever come back down.

13) What's something that you made all on your own and are incredibly proud of?
Oh, I don't know.  I LOVE all kinds of craft like things and I always enjoy the finished products.  I haven't done much since my daughter's wedding reception last April though.  A few months ago I assembled my exercise bicycle with a little help from my daughter Lexi.  I was really proud of us.  We put it together on the floor, even though we had to have a little help to move it into position.  Now we know if we want something done, we don't have to wait for someone.  We can do some of these things ourselves.  That's a great feeling.  

14) Who's the person who first comes to your mind when someone mentions "love"?
I would have to say Christ is the first, but I know that's probably not what you're looking for, so the next person on my list would be my husband.

15) Who was the last person you hugged?
My husband just a few minutes ago.  He came out to the living room where I was trying to nap and woke me up asking me to read a text message he sent me and the kids and after I read the message I couldn't help but hug and kiss the man.   In his text message he talked about how he couldn't have ever got through this last year without me.  He said he seriously considered doing something to end his life shortly after his injury and I literally saved his life.  He said my words of encouragement and talking him down from that dark place, along with my love and support is what got him through.  He said because he has had such a hard time coming to grips with his condition and has asked me to keep people away it has caused some people to say mean and hurtful things about me because they think I am trying to purposely hold them back from him when I am merely doing what my husband has asked me to do.  (I told Kevin I knew I would end up being made to look like the bad guy and that bothered me most of all.  I said, this whole thing proves just how little people have always thought of me and that they do not trust me to do what is best for my husband.  Why on earth would they think otherwise?  This is an awful place to be....the bad guy roll..... BUT, looking back, I don't care.  If this is what my husband needs and wants then that's what I am going to do and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.)  He said he loved me and was grateful I am there for him.  I told him I knew that if the tables were turned that he would do the exact same thing for me and that I wasn't doing anything but showing him how much I loved him and that I wasn't in this just for the good times.  I married him for the good and the bad.   He also said he was so proud of our children for their love and support, especially those kids still living in our home.  He said he doesn't know what we would do without them.  They have been amazing.  

16) Do you believe in the phrase "if it's meant to be, it will be"? 
Sort of.  I believe that if there is something you want or need you should pray to your Heavenly Father as if everything counted on Him, and then get up and go to work and act like everything depends on you to get to where you want to be.  Does that make sense? 

17) Do people praise you for your looks?
People are always surprised to find out how old I am.  They can't believe I am almost 50 or have children who are 28, 26, 21, and 17.  I get compliments on my looks, but it's been a long time since anyone has really said I'm "good looking".   I think if I dropped a few pounds that might change, but I really don't care what other people think anymore.  The only people I need to look good for are myself and my husband and right now it's more about being healthy and happy than being "good looking".

18) Do you believe in destiny?
That's an interesting question.  I believe we all came to this earth to gain a body and gain experience.  That being said, we are have free will to choose our path in life.  It's all about making correct or good choices.  

19) Have you ever thought "I already found my soulmate"? 
No.  I don't know why, but the term "soulmate" just irritates the snot out of me.  It just sounds so ridicous to me.

20) Do you like nicknames that are from your name?
They don't bother me.  I have a nickname my parents gave me when I was a little girl, but not many people know what it is.  My husband, children, and a few close friends from high school know what my nickname is, but that's about it.  My husband and children rarely use it, but old high school friends still use it and that's a-okay with me.  In fact, I kind of like it when they say it.  It's kind of endearing.  

21) Could you ever be a vegan?
Good grief, no!  I like meat far too much to give it up.  Becoming a vegan is not something that I will EVER be.  Besides, I'm already vitamin deficient in so many other ways, why on earth would I want to deprive my body from all those wonderful "B" vitamins and niacin that come from eating meat?  Not to mention good iodine found in fish.  Even though I don't eat much fish, I do eat some.  Did you know turkey is a great source of iodine?  Who knew?  One of the things I have learned since becoming diagnosed with a hypothyroidism is that my body is lacking iodine, and since meat, fish, eggs, turkey, baked potatoes with the peels, and even milk are excellent sources of iodine, I will continue to eat MOST of those things.  (right now I am not eating milk or white potatoes...among other things)  So, NO...I will NEVER become a vegan.  EVER!

22) Do you currently have bruises on your body?
Yes, I do.  On my upper legs.  Since I have been sick I have broken out in this awful rash or hives actually.  You should have saw me Saturday morning.  Oh my goodness!  They were all over.  I even had Lexi take photos of my arms and back because it was so bad.  And I am so itchy I have scratched so hard I now have three or four big bruises on my legs.  Can you believe that?  

23) What should you be doing right now?
I feel like I should be cleaning or shopping for Thanksgiving, but I don't feel like it.  I feel like going to bed.

24) I read in a magazine that shoulder pads are coming back.  Are you happy to hear this or do you not find them to be very attractive? 
Ugh!  That's not a trend I'm thrilled is returning.  I use to remove the shoulder pads from every single one of my 80's outfits.

25) Did you ever feel like you're not good enough?
Probably far too often.

26) Let's all think happy thoughts....share one of yours here.
There are only a few weeks left until Christmas!  Can you believe it?  I still can't believe it's November already.  Where does the time go?

27) There's a Chinese proverb that says, "If you want happiness for an hour take a nap, if you want happiness for a day, go fishing....."What say you?  If you want happiness for a day______________.
If you want happiness for a day, I say take the time, make the effort, and really focus on all the good things in your life rather than on the bad or the things you don't have.

28) Where do you go to decompress from the world around you?
Right here at home.  Sometimes it's so quiet and peaceful and filled with things I love and enjoy.  I am perfectly a-okay with spending time doing my own thing right here at home.  Not everyone can say that.  I know some people that cannot handle being alone in their own homes.  That's a sad thing, I think.  I believe your home should be your haven away from the outside world.  No, mine isn't a perfect haven yet, but it's getting there.  It use to be that I thought "things" would help me create that perfect haven.  Well, now I don't think that way anymore.  Now, it's more about simplifying everything and scaling down some of those things that are making home my "go to" place.  It's a work in progress and it could take a while to accomplish everything I'd like to accomplish to make it my perfect "go to" place, but that's part of what I love about it.  It's a constant project and could take years to complete.  Love it!

29) What song never fails to make you happy?
I don't really have one particular song that does it for me.  I think it's a series of songs that are upbeat and happy that do it for me, not one.  

30) Wednesday was National Fast Food day.  Should that be a thing?  Apparently it is, so tell us what's the last fast food you consumed?  If you were putting together your own version of a "happy meal" what would you include?
Well, it probably shouldn't be a thing since most of fast food is so unhealthy, but they are trying to offer better choices these days.  The last fast food I had was a couple of rolled tacos about a week ago to kill the craving for Mexican food I'd been having.  Those darn rolled tacos have always been my weakness, but not anymore.  Since I've started this new little "lifestyle change" my doctor and everyone suggested I haven't felt hungry or even felt like eating ANY fast food.  (I know!  I'm shocked myself!)  
My version of a "happy meal"?  Probably lean smoked beef brisket (I'm only eating red meat once a week now.  The rest of the week it's fish, chicken, or turkey) with a nice large (like half the plate size) tossed salad, with maybe some brown rice or beans....with a giant glass of water with lemon, or herbal tea.  (I know!  Who is this person, and what happened to Sondra?......Yay!!)  We had the best brisket the other day!  It was awesome!  It was tender, with that brown crusty smoked portion on top and it was so lean.....it melted in your mouth!  Yum!!!  

31) In a few sentences tell us why you blog.
For fun mostly.  A while back I was frustrated that my children seemed to only know all the childhood stories and things my husband did and never seemed to know much about my childhood, so I decided it was time I found a way to share my side.  I didn't think forcing my family to listen to me was the best option, so I thought blogging might be a way to share some of these things.  Well, as time has moved on that initial reason has changed.  Now I blog to keep a record of my thoughts and feelings.  My goal is to start printing out all the pages each year to save in some kind of book for my family to have as my journals my children can read and refer to when I'm gone.  I still haven't had the chance to start printing each year, it's never too late to start, right?

32) List seven things you're feeling especially grateful for today.
1) My Heavenly Father who hears and answers my prayers.
2) That the election is over and having the hope for change that comes with a President who is not part of the same old system.  This could be exciting!  I'm hopeful.
3) This Thanksgiving season and the impending Christmas season....it's got it's own feel and I've always like this time of year.
4) My husband who seems to be feeling better than he usually does which means he's also been in a better mood.  We also learned a few things the other day through a telephone call about why things happened the way they did that day in the hospital, things we never before knew.  That was an unexpected, amazing call.  
5) My children.  Especially those still living in my home.  Kyle has been totally amazing!  He has been such a HUGE help to me, especially these past few weeks.  WOW!  We had a couple old couches sitting in the back yard on the side of our house that I was wanting to arrange to have the city come pick up for several months now.  Well, Kyle went above and beyond and totally took care of that and made sure those things were ready for pick up.  Then he has made countless trips to the grocery store and the pharmacy to get things for me.  Just today, he took his Dad to see his pain doctor.  I cannot thank Kyle enough!  Lexi has helped out around the house.  She has been amazing and never complains.  I love my kids.
6) Good friends that go out of their way to check up on us.
7) That we finally feel like we have made it over the hump.  Yay!

33) Insert your own random thought here.....
We received another letter from our Missionary the other day.  He has a new companion.  His was really sad to lose Elder Nxxxxx, but they plan to get together when they both get home from their missions.  As it turns out, his new companion is from Gilbert, AZ.  In fact, he knows a few of Curtis's friends.  Here is that letter.....
 
Hey Everyone,
I am with a new companion now.   😭😭😭   Elder Pxxxxxxxx is his name and he is from the good old state of Arizona as well.  He's a pretty good guy.  Still sad to lose Elder Nxxxxx, but he and I are gonna still hang out after our missions.  Elder Pxxxxxxxx is a cool guy.  He likes rap and basketball and other normal teenage stuff.  He knows Jed Whetten apparently.  Small world.

Today we are pretty much just chillin' and doing some shopping.  Elder Pxxxxxxxx and the other new roommate need to unpack and settle in.  I think we're gonna try to hit up some museums when we go to Mahattan soon.  I really need to do some actual touristy stuff soon.  Every P-day we've walked around Manhattan and I've seen some cool stuff, but nothing a normal tourist would do.  So, I know the Island really well, and where a ton of stuff is.  I just haven't gone into any of the things you would probably go to.  I think the Natural History Museum will be where I go first, then who knows?  We're also gonna hit up 5th Avenue around Christmas.  It should be "lit" as the kids say it.  

I'm pretty pumped for this cycle.  I don't have many more.  Ha Ha.  It's kinda crazy.  Anyways, I hope you're all doing well.  Have a beautiful day!!
Love,
Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad
Below is a photo Curtis sent us of him and his new companion.



In other news....Today was the first Sunday since before General Conference that I have been to church.  I can't believe it's been that long with being sick and everything.  One of my friends came up to me and said, "so that's what you look like."  LOL!  We laughed about that together.  :)  Then my Bishop came over and I asked him if he had forgotten what we looked like.  He just smiled and said, No.  Kevin wanted to get to church with us today and right up until last night he was all set to go.  He was in a lot of pain even with the pain medications on board.  He needed to stay home.  I'm just glad Kyle is here through Sacrament Meeting before he has to leave for work so I can at least make it to that meeting before coming home.  Kevin is great without the pain medications on board and rarely falls.  With the pain medications he tends to be a little less sure footed.  It's a hard decision.  I do believe the weather has a little bit to do with the level of pain Kevin experiences.  Enough for me to be glad he has the medications now.  It does make me worry about him more.  Kyle took Kevin to his pain doctor last week.  The doctor said it had been since May that he saw Kevin last.  So, he has been without pain medications since about the end of May.  WOW!  How he has gotten through all that time I do not know.  Incredible!

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...