Monday, October 31, 2016

Sunday - Halloween Eve!



There is nothing quite as yummy as a warm grilled cheese sandwich made on wheat bread, real butter, and Kraft American cheese, when you aren't feeling well.  That, with a nice cup of tomato soup, and I am a happy camper.  I've never been a chicken noodle soup girl when I've been sick.  A long time ago I didn't liked tomato soup either.  That changed when I was in about 2nd grade or so.
When I was a little girl, about 4 years old, I was taken to the hospital when I was very sick.  I remember sitting on the exam table and that's about it.  My Mom tells me my lips turned blue and I just starred straight ahead but unresponsive.  I had a very high fever of about 104.  They rushed my Mom out of the room and everyone came running to work on me.  The doctors and nurses worked hard and whatever they did worked because I'm here today to talk about it.  Needless to say, I was admitted to the hospital for several days with pneumonia.  One of the first meals I remember in the hospital was tomato soup for breakfast.  I wasn't a fan of tomato soup back then and the kitchen ended up bringing me warm toast with butter and that made me happy.  I remember cold baths to try and bring my fever down in that hospital too.  I hated those!   I also remember when I was eventually discharged and got to go home but was still pretty sick.  I wanted to curl up with a blanket covering my entire body but my Mom wouldn't let me.  They were afraid my fever would spike again sending me back into that unresponsive state or at least back to the hospital so blankets were only allowed on the lower half of my body.  Who knew, all these years later, it would still be this kind of thing that could take me down so quickly and so hard?    

I went to bed late last night and woke up around 4 or 5AM this morning.  I got up for a minute and then went right back to sleep.  I slept until I heard Kyle get up and get ready for work.  As soon as he left I went back to sleep until just before 8PM tonight.  I never sleep this long, but I guess I needed the rest.  I'm telling you, this bronchitis stuff has hit me hard.  

Kevin postponed our appointment with the Bishop and Stake President which is a good thing.  Thank goodness because I was completely out of it and we would have totally missed that if it was left up to me since I was asleep all day and night.  Sheesh!  
Now that I am awake, I have a feeling I am going to have a hard time falling asleep tonight.  

I heard an awesome quote tonight from a line in the show Madam Secretary and thought I'd share it.  (hopefully I will get it right) "Marriage is the best way to confront your inadequacies on a daily basis and the greatest adventure of your life!"  This is so true!  In fact, it's scary how true this statement really is.  

We received a new photo of Elder Schmidt the other day.  Here it is....

He looks really happy here.  Love it!  

Happy Halloween! 

Time to join the fun and answer some fiendishly gruesome questions for a wicked good time.....

 Halloween Meme

1. What is the worst treat to get when trick-or-treating?  

I would have to say candy corn or that black and orange wrapped peanut butter candy.  Yuck!  

2. What character from any horror film would you most like to play? 

I don't like horror movies so I wouldn't enjoy playing ANY character.

3. Would you rather be a zombie, alien, or psycho? (why) 

An alien.  Going to new worlds, seeing the galaxy and/or universe.  Our aliens are someone else's brave explorers and astronauts.

4. How many Halloween, Friday the 13th, or Nightmare on Elm Street movies combined do you have on dvd? 

Zero.  See #2.

5. What is the scariest movie you have ever seen? 

I remember walking into my neighbor's house one Sunday evening and they were watching the Exorcist.  I was so scared I couldn't even walk the short distance to my own home and I ended up sleeping on the floor in my parent's bedroom for a week after that.  The bad part about sleeping in my parent's bedroom was that they had a 4 poster bed similar to the one the main character in the movie slept in.  Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that week.  Later on as an adult I find the kind of movie that builds suspense and play on your own imaginations to be much scarier.  Silence of the Lambs was pretty creepy.  I also find movies that are within the realm of possibility to be scarier than the ridiculous ones.  

6. Lamest costume you have worn on Halloween? 

I'd say wearing hospital scrubs and going as a doctor or nurse.  That just seems like a cop out to me.  Too easy I guess these days.  

7. Favorite Halloween treat? 

I like the chocolate kind of treats.  Sometimes a good lollipop, but mostly chocolate.  Bite size heath bars are a favorite.  M&M's in the mini packages are a close second, and mini Kit Kat Bars are my third favorite.

8. Friendly-faced jack o’lantern or scary one?

Scary faced!!  My parents always do a great scary faced pumpkin every year.  I also like creatively carved pumpkins as well.
 
9. Have you ever had nightmares about a scary movie character chasing you? 

Yes, nightmares (see #5), but NO not about them chasing me.

10. Best thing about Halloween? 

I like that the weather always cools down more on or around Halloween.  I also like seeing all the costumes, especially the creative ones that you wouldn't expect.  The candy is fun, but not for me.  I don't go trick-or-treating.  This year I don't even think we will be passing out candy simply because I don't want to get anyone sick and I don't want to be out in the cold night air.  We don't really get into it all that much these days and I'm sure that will change once we have grandkids but we aren't trying to rush that idea along at all.   We just hope we live close enough to be a part these fun times with them.  Time will tell.

11. Strangest Halloween custom you’ve heard of? 

Have you ever heard of a custom called bagging?  Anyway, bagging is what you do when you got too big to trick or treat....usually when you started junior high.  You didn't have to dress up.  You just put an empty bag on people's porch, rang the bell, and ran and hid where you could watch.  Then they would come out and either put candy in the bag, steal your bag, or ignore it and go back inside.  

I've never been "bagging" but I've known people that have.  Although, I haven't heard the term in many many years.  I think it's because nobody seems to get too old for trick or treating these days.  Older teenagers and adults alike have come knocking on my door in the last 10 years.  I find that ridiculous!! 


12. Person in your family who most likes Halloween (not counting yourself)? 

That would be my son, at least before he started working nights.  He use to love to dress up and scare people.

13. Are you superstitious? If so, name at least one superstition of yours. 

I'm not superstitious at all.

14. What's your best Halloween memory? 

I'd have to say the time I made spider costumes for both of my kids and I, and a costume for Kevin too.  He joked that he should be a can a Raid Bug Spray, and I ran with that idea and made the costume for him.  On Halloween night we all went out dressed up and stopped at my BIL and SIL's house.  Well, my SIL had the great idea to go grab a bite to eat.  We went to a Taco Bell in the area.  I still hear how embarrassed Kevin was to walk into that Taco Bell dressed like a can of Raid.  It was great!! 


Those were good times.  LOL!  Here is the picture.  It's pretty old.

15. At what age were you allowed to go trick-or-treating by yourself?

I don't remember an age.  I think I remembered about the time I was in junior high, but I use to like to go walking the neighborhood with my mom and siblings.  That was fun for me.  

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...