Sunday, October 16, 2016

A Glorious Sunday Indeed!

This morning I woke up to find that I only had .55 cents left on our SRP and it was only 6 in the morning, which meant I would need to make a quick trip to add money first thing this morning.  I hate that.  So, before anyone was awake I got dressed, told Kevin where I was going, and ran to add money to our SRP card.  Not exactly my favorite thing to do first thing on a Sunday morning, or anytime on Sunday for that matter, but it had to be done.  

When I got back from the adding the money to our card and had fed the little machine we have in our kitchen with the card, I was wide awake and could not fall back to sleep.  So, I watched an episode of NCIS on my phone while I tried to lay down again.  It eventually worked and I fell back to sleep.  This time waking up around 11:30.  It seems that my family is up at all hours of the night and they keep waking me up several times a night which causes me to sleep longer.  I'm not liking that at all.  Kyle comes home from work in the early morning hours and usually grabs something to eat, a hot shower, and heads off the bed.  Lexi has her sleep cycle all messed up and she stays up super late and sleeps odd hours as well.  Kevin isn't far behind her.  Plus Kevin has been in a lot of pain lately so I understand why he is up and down all day and night.  Poor guy.  

After waking up at 11:30 and seeing Lexi still sleeping, I knew she wouldn't be going with me to church.  She had intended to go with me, but I knew waking her up wasn't going to happen today.  Plus, it takes forever for her hair to dry and getting her to go with wet hair is next to impossible.  Not exactly the best excuse not to go to church.  Kevin isn't able to sit for that long in his chair, otherwise I would have had him come with me.  So, I went alone.  I knew I needed to go.  It seems that the week always seems to fall into place easier when I take the time to attend that meeting and read my scriptures during the week.  One of these days, hopefully in the not to distant future, I will be able to make it to all of my meetings again.  Right now, with Kyle's work schedule it makes it so he is home with Kevin during the day while I work in case Kevin needs him.  Then on Sunday's when Kyle has to work, I don't leave the house for very long so as not to leave Kevin alone and Lexi can't pick up her father if he should fall or something.  I really can't either, but sometimes Lexi and I can do it together.  Sometimes.

Sacrament meeting was pretty amazing today.  The Ward's spoke and did a great job.  They talked about faith and President Uchtdorf's Conference talk during the women's broadcast.  I found myself in tears as Sister Ward spoke because the things she said were things I needed to hear.  She talked about how our trials can strengthen our faith and sometimes answers to prayers do not come right away and that we have to be patient on the Lord because answers will come in His timing.  When the time is right.  Sure, these are things I have always known, but today I needed to be reminded of this again.  I'm glad I went.

I stumbled across this neat idea.  Look at what one member does with their General Conference edition of the Ensign....


She laminates the covers of the General Conference Ensign and has it spiral bound.  Before binding it she adds the following additional items:

  • blank pages for notes
  • A quote called "My Walk and My Talk - President Ezra Taft Benson taught, "For....six months your conference edition of the ensign should stand next to your standard works and be referred to frequently. As my dear friend and brother Harold B. Lee said, "we should let these conference addresses the guide to our walk and our talk during the next six months.  These are the important matters the Lord sees fit to reveal to his people today." (Ensign May 1988) 
  • The Family: A Proclamation to the World.
  • The Living Christ
  • Letter to each child with her testimony
  • A family photo
  • A picture of Jesus Christ
  • A page to record what you are grateful for
  • A few of her favorite current quotes
She says because the cover is laminated it becomes more durable so she can take it everywhere she goes.  She takes it to church and when it is at home it can be found right next to her scriptures.  She says it serves as her journal for Gospel study and church meetings for the next six months.  

She then makes one for each of her family members that wants one, even her three year old.  She says they use them during family home evening, family devotionals, family councils, and any time we want to study a talk.  She said her husband loves the electronic versions of everything, but she likes being able to sit down with paper copies of the talks and marking them.  She says she marks them like she marks her scriptures.  She said a friend gave her this idea about 18 years ago and she has been doing this ever since.

Frankly, I think this would be an awesome gift to give to the sisters you visit teach as a nice gift so they to can enjoy reviewing the talks throughout the next six months as well. 


Tips to Binding Your General Conference Ensign:

1) Take your Ensign to a local copy store  
2) Ask then to cut the binding off the magazine 
3) Ask them to create note pages that match the size of the Ensign pages.  Give them one page of the freshly cut Ensign to use as a guide.  Have them make cuts to all of the pages you are adding in.  They will need to make two cuts.
4) Have the copy store laminate the front and the back cover.  Contact paper isn't as durable and usable.
5) Ask them to add your extra pages, re-assemble, and coil bind it all together. Adding the extra pages--especially the blank pages for notes and journaling--really makes it more usable.  Sometimes my friends and I all bring our General Conference Ensigns and meet at the copy store to have an "Ensign binding party."
6) Plan to spend about $3 to $5 per book, depending on where you go. 
Your family will be blessed as you make the extra effort to make the teachings from General Conference a part of their daily lives over the next six months.

It's been a challenging week.  A week full of difficulties.  A week full of getting knocked down.  A week full of struggles.  At the same time, this has also been a week full of some of the most amazing support I have ever felt before.  My husband is quick to remind me of who I am, that he loves me, and supports me 100%, and he reminds me of what is most important, us and our children.  My parents and my children have done the exact same thing.  Even my Bishop and my therapist are supportive and encouraging.  I appreciate the people in my life so much.  What a blessing they are.  What a source of strength they have all become and I love them all very much for all they do.  As I have said before, this trial, Kevin's spinal cord injury, has been tough for Kevin, myself, and each one of our children.  We have come to know exactly who we can turn to for support and who we cannot.  We have learned a lot about friendships and about family.  We have learned that we are stronger than ever as a core family and that we can endure hard things.  We have gotten closer as a family and we have found greater love and appreciation for one another like we had never before imagined.  We have learned what is important and that is our love and strength together.  It has been amazing to see as each of us have been pushed and tested beyond our wildest dreams, and then to still remain closer than ever before.  This trial may have changed the way we all do things, but at the same time it has also changed the way we see things as well,......and that is indeed the best blessing of all.  


Image result for when others are mean think of them as sandpaper

Take care my friends and we will talk again soon.
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...