Wednesday, August 17, 2016

You've Got Mail!


1. I read here four creative activities to try this month. They were-calligraphy, make your own cookbook, dance or learn a new type of dance, and letter writing. Which activity on the list appeals to you most? Will you add it to your August? 

I would have to say calligraphy.  I would LOVE to learn how to do that!

2. Bertrand Russell is quoted as saying, 'To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.' Agree or disagree? Explain. 

I would have to agree to a point, and only to the point that you have to work for the things you want and weigh their full value before you pursue a goal of obtaining those things.  There is such a thing as to much of a good thing.  

3. August 17th is National Thrift shop Day...are you a 'thrifter'? If so, tell us about one of your best or favorite finds. 

I sure am!  In fact pretty much most of the furniture we have was either hand me downs or bought 2nd hand.  I love the hunt, the great deal, and the fun and creativity of redoing something to work for us.

4.  On a scale of 1-10 (with 1= almost none and 10=loads) how would you rate your sense of wanderlust? What kicks your wanderlust into high gear? 

I would rate my wanderlust at about a 6-7.  We don't get the chance to do this very often and I would say an unplanned vacation or a chance to see things I've never seen peek my interest.

5. Has life felt more like a marathon or sprint so far this month? How so?

Oh, I would say a little bit of both.  At times I feel like I'm sprinting to the finish line to accomplish daily tasks like errand running, then when it comes to things like work and my husband's social security claim it feels like a marathon.

6. What do you need to get a jump on before fall officially arrives? 

Household responsibilities

7. What's the last thing you did with friends or family where you lost track of time? 

Playing board games together

8. Insert your own random thought here. 

Guess what!!!!????


We received a voicemail from the disability group handling my husband's claim.  They said they have awarded benefits, BUT his claim is still with their quality review group (it's been there since April) and no payments can be made until it comes out of quality review.  Kevin plans to call them himself later this week. He wants to give social security a full week before he calls.  Just the fact that they say they have awarded benefits is HUGE!!!!  Hopefully when Kevin calls they will give him details.  Enough of this waiting.

Tonight Kevin is taking it easy.  They up'd his medicine and he is a little worn out and sleepy.  This happens when the up the medicine sometimes.  

Lexi is recovering from a really bad couple of migraines she has had over the past couple of days.  She was all set to go to her appointment with the Bishop Sunday when the first of the two came on.  She was even up and showered before I had gotten out of bed that day.  Then it hit and she was really struggling and crying.  She finally calmed down and fell asleep after some pain medication. 

Today she text me around 8:30 this morning asking if she could take some Tylenol.  I always tell her she doesn't have to ask, but I think it makes her feel better knowing I know she has taken some medicine.  So, this afternoon she's still in pain and a little fuzzy.  Lexi said this one made her vision really blurry.  I hate it that she hurts when these headaches come on.  I feel so helpless.  I'm hoping in time these headaches will go away.  Bottom line, we have a little hospital ward going on here.  

UPDATE:  It's now Wednesday - We received a phone call from Social Security this morning.  Now they need more information from Kevin.  Talk about frustrating!  I tried to get a hold of Kyle to have his Dad call their office, but Kyle works nights and was sleeping.  So, I called home at lunch and woke Kyle up.  Later today I received a text message from Kyle and Kevin saying that he would call later.  I was frustrated, so I decided to  call.  Believe it or not I actually got right through to the examiner AND she actually spoke to me.  I was completely blown away!  She took the information from me and said that was all they needed.  Hopefully that really is all they needed because we have heard that before.  Time will tell.  More to come on this.  If this is all, we now need them to send us a letter.  After the letter they award benefits by making a first payment.  Based on Kevin's birth date it will be at the end of each month.  Since we are past the date for August, that means we won't see anything until at least the end of September.  That is IF they get the payment set up in time.  Otherwise It will be the end of October.  I'm praying for September.

We received a letter from our missionary.  Read below.....

Hey Everyone,
This week was transfers.  Elder Gxxxxxx and I are staying together.  I'm district leader again because our previous district leader Elder L'xxxxxxxxx went back home to Canada.  We had some pretty cool stuff happen.  This past Saturday a man walked into the church. He saw the schedule for an endowment session and thought that it was for a regular church meeting.  The Sisters were the ones who talked with him.  They gave him a Book of Mormon and told him when our church meetings started.  A lot of times that would have been the end of it and we would never see the person again, but Lxxx is different.  He showed up for church and he was so pumped by all the branches activities that he came to our basketball tournament we had this past Monday, and he's going to go to a Yankee's game with our Elder's Quorum.  He loved church and at the basketball tournament he couldn't stop talking about the Book of Mormon.  He told us that the Book of Mormon is the best book and the he wants to receive revelation.  Our jaws dropped when he said that.  We are going to talk to him tonight about taking a swim with us.  It should be good. 

Today should be fun.  We are going to go to the chapel on the upper east side and get out hair cut, then play some basketball or volleyball.  I don't know what else we are going to do, but it's gonna be fun.  Hope you are all doing well.  Have a great week. 

Love,

Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad 

Then we received this message from someone about our missionary too....

Our family was visiting the temple today to do baptisms and ran into these cute missionaries!  They were so happy, it was a beautiful day, and glad to be serving.  Thought you might want a sneak peak!   From:  Lonnie Braby


I love getting these random messages from people who see our missionary doing what he is in New York to do, with a bright smile and a happiness about him that seems to be infectious!  That makes my day every single time. I still can't believe we will be talking to this young man in a few short months again, and then he will be home a few months after that.  7 months to be exact.  Time flies!  It seems like just yesterday we dropped him off at the airport.  Today I got a call from one of the Advisors I talk to all the time who happen to work and live in Manhattan. She asked me how my son was doing and when I told her he was in Manhattan she let me know about their crazy weather yesterday.  They had 85% humidity! Talk about yuck!  She said it was like swimming in the air outside it was so bad. Yet, it doesn't seem to faze my missionary son. He is happy and thrilled to be serving. That is all I wanted for my son.  I wanted him to have the experience of a lifetime while on his mission, doing what the Lord wanted him to do, and loving the work, and that is exactly what is happening. Sure, we miss Curtis and cannot wait to see him in a few months, but I am not sad like some other mothers I know get. How could I possibly be? He is exactly where the Lord wants him to be and I could never go against that. Being sad and mourning over him being gone seems to go against everything I want and the Lord wants for him right now. In fact, I consider it an honor to have two sons who have wanted to serve missions and who are worthy to be called to do the Lord's work. It's as simple as that.

Well, it's getting late and I still have dinner to prepare for our family. I got a call from the pharmacy. I guess Kevin has another prescription ready. Mind you, he has been taking some of these meds at a different dosage for the past couple of days now. In fact this morning I had to warn Lexi to keep an eye on her father so he doesn't fall off the bed again because he was sleeping with his body on the bed and his legs dangling off the side of the bed and that's always a recipe for him slipping off the bed.  I guess nothing happened, because I never got a text about it and no one said anything when I walked in the door tonight. I'm wondering, do I dare go get this new prescription? I do not like this side of Kevin and I wish he didn't have to take all of this medication. I kind of enjoy the wide awake version of Kevin with all of his spunk. BUT, he is in so much pain without the meds. Arg! I hate this. I'm thinking we will end up waiting a few days to pick up the medicine to see if he really needs it. It's $55 each time for this medicine. Time will tell. 

At work they do these health screenings and if you complete all the steps by the end of the year they pay you a certain amount of money. The money goes into your health savings account to use towards other medical expenses.  Usually there are about 3 steps to complete each year. For the past two years I had decided to NOT go through all of their little steps because frankly I just didn't think my employer needed to know that much about me. Well, I must have had a weak moment about two weeks ago because I signed up to begin the process for this year. Today was my initial health screening. I went to the designated area this morning after fasting, let then weigh me, take measurements, blood pressure, and blood. Once they were done I went back to my office. It was pretty painless and we were done within about 15 minutes from start to finish, meaning paperwork and all. Well, I found out the weight I had lost a few months back has returned with a couple new pounds as well. That explains why my back has been bothering me. So, now I am on a quest to take the weight off again. I still have not opened the 10 year anniversary gift I received from my employer. I picked a stationary bike. I need some help putting it together and it's like pulling teeth to get Kyle to help me. In fact, it took several months to get him to finally bring my doors inside after the wedding in April. He just moved them inside about a week and a half ago and it's now August. You can imagine how that makes me feel, right? So, this weekend Lexi and I are going to attempt to open the box and put it together ourselves. I have visions of a I love Lucy episode being played out in my own living room. Won't that be fun. If this doesn't work, I will have to join a gym. There is a great gym right by my house that only charges $10-$20 a month and I can pay as I go so I'm thinking after Kevin gets on social security I will try that one. Then my employer will reimburse me all the fees I pay too so we all win. They get a healthier employee and my family and I get a healthier me. Who wouldn't love that? After all, I'm a work in progress, right? ~smile~smile~
Lexi wanted to go to the school and run the track and Kevin was going to go with her to try and walk the track with his walker. He wanted to get strong enough to walk a 5K. Pretty ambitious goal I say! So, we might try all of the above and if we can get Kevin involved even better!  Time will tell. 

Things are still a little wonky around here, but all in all, we are happy and life is good! What more could we ask for?

Well, that's all folks. I need to get going. Take care and we will talk again soon.

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...