Saturday, July 9, 2016

A Typical Saturday? What's Typical?


  • 4:45 Wake up with Kyle and go back to sleep until he is ready to leave. ( I'm dropping him off at work)
  • 4:55 Wake up again to the sound of Lexi and Kyle talking and I jump up, get dressed.
  • 5:00 We are out the door on our way.  We drop Kyle off 1) Because we only have one car 2) So Kyle doesn't have to pay to park.
  • 5:35 I'm home and back to bed, but I can't sleep so I turn on a movie.
  • 8:35 I'm up again.  Apparently I finally fell asleep and I never got through the movie. I'll be trying to watch it later for the 4th time now.  (Lexi asks me to teach her how to mow the lawn with our electric lawn mower)
  • 8:50 I'm back asleep again. 
  • 11:21 Up again!  This time for good.  Lexi makes eggs for herself and i decide to have leftovers from dinner the night before for breakfast.  I never did eat the typical breakfast foods most of the time.  I think it's because by the time I was a teenager something happened and I couldn't handle eating something sweet like cold cereal for breakfast anymore.  I'd get an upset stomach, so I'd either skip breakfast or eat something else that was quick.  Cold cereal for lunch or dinner, later in the day, wasn't a problem though.  At one point I was diagnosed as being hypoglycemic but I'm not so sure that diagnosis was right.
  • 11:30 I text Danielle to have her bring me the tea lights and ferry berries we used at her wedding reception.  A friend wants to borrow them.
  • 11:35 Lexi reminds me I have books and movies to return to the library.  Thinking it might be something Kevin would like to do, I walk into our bedroom to find him sleeping.  Looks like we might make a trip to the library later this afternoon after all.
  • 12:09 Change of plans....time to get cleaning.  Starting with a few loads of laundry while I finally finish that movie I mentioned before.
  • 12:41 Time to pick up after "Shredder", AKA: the puppy.  I swear he finds anything and everything he can to rip into tiny bits to scatter around my living room.  Arg!  Kevin is up again, so I ask him if he wants to go to the library, he says No.  He's not up to it.  
  • 2:40 Make grilled cheese sandwiches for Lexi and I.  Kevin isn't hungry.
  • 3:30 Get ready to go pick up Kyle from work
  • 3:40 Leave the house to go pick up Kyle and take out the garbage 
  • 4:30 Home by 4:30.  Now we are trying to decide what to do for dinner.  I've still got laundry to do and more picking up after "Shredder".  Tonight I plan to watch a movie or two, do more laundry, get things ready for church tomorrow, and be in bed by 9ish....I hope.

So, what is a typical Saturday???  My childhood Saturday's were were usually spent watching cartoons in the morning, old movies with my Mom and Dad, or out playing with friends...depending on the day.  There were, of course, those dreaded Saturday's when I couldn't do anything because I had to clean my room or something.  At least that was my biggest chore when I was little.  As I got older I did a lot more like mowing the lawn, cleaning the bathroom, kitchen, or living room, but I never had set chores.  I just did the things my parents asked me to do...well, I did complain sometimes too.  Evenings on Saturdays were the best.  That's when some of the best shows were on TV and/or my neighborhood friends would all get together to play kickball in our cul-de-sac, or go swimming.  That was fun.  

Then when we moved to California (Dad was in the Air Force and he was transferred) things changed a bit.  I started babysitting and hanging out with friends more, with the necessary chores scattered around here and there, of course.  

When I married Kevin Saturday either meant spending time with his family or spending time at home with friends or alone together.  Kevin worked with his brothers in a family owned business when we first got married and he spent a lot of time out of town or working late nights.  Our schedules were completely off but we didn't know any better and we made it work and we would take a moment here and a moment there to spend time alone together where we could.  

Eventually I got pregnant and the family business shut down and Kevin and I were still working opposite shifts most of the time.  We juggled caring for our kids between our work schedules and we rarely had a day off together.  If we did end up with a day off together we were usually trying to grab as much sleep as possible in between running errands and cleaning.  

As the kids came along and they all grew up Kevin and I finally had some weekends off together and when he wasn't out fulfilling his calling usually  camping with the scouts, we would do the same things...cleaning, errands, and sleeping on Saturdays.  

I'm sure as the kids move out, get married, and have children of their own, our Saturday's will be spent with our grandchildren.  How exciting will that be??!!!

Gosh, when I think about it, typical is relative.  There's no such thing as a typical Saturday!  Saturday is not a day off.  Saturday is just a different day!  And with each and every year in our lives, it's a little different than the one before!

Yesterday Kyle got a call from someone at the station telling him that due to the event last night in Phoenix his department would be taking certain precautions over the next several days. Kyle was questioning the information thinking someone was playing a little prank on him.  Today when I picked him up I could tell it wasn't a prank.  Sad to think that someone could possibly do something right here in our own area.  I can honestly say this whole thing just got real for all of us in a very short amount of time.  I don't like this.  I don't like it at all.  

Enough about that.  That stuff just makes me angry and I just need to change the subject.  

I found this photo and just LOVED it.  What do you think?  Pretty isn't it??


It's been a fun filled day.  Take care my friends and we'll talk again soon.

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...