Monday, June 6, 2016

How to Tuesday, A Puppy, And A Few Rambling Thoughts

As some of you know, Kyle got a puppy for his birthday.  He used the money he got from his Grandparents and other people, including the money we gave him, to buy the puppy.  The puppy is as cute as can be!  BUT, I totally forgot about how much work a puppy can be when I agreed to let Kyle get it.  So, as you can imagine I've been a little stressed over dealing with potty training this new puppy.  It hasn't been easy because the puppy gets scared whenever he steps out back.  Each time he gets as far as the end of the porch and runs back for the door begging to be let back inside.  Well, yesterday he ran up to the door, ran outside, ran to the grassy area, did his business and came back inside like he had done this all along!  I was so happy, and I let that little puppy know I was thrilled too!  Since then, he has wanted to go outside.  I'm loving that!  We still have to go outside with him, just because he is so little just to make sure he doesn't get somewhere he shouldn't, but I am one happy puppy Grandma!  On a side note, Kyle was asked to move in with a friend of his the other day, and Kyle was totally thinking about doing it, until I asked if he would be able to take the puppy with him.  Kyle was a little bummed out when he realized he wouldn't be able to take the puppy because the roommate is allergic to pet hair.  I guess his allergy is really bad, so that wouldn't work.  Oh well.  Kyle helps us out a lot!!!!.....and I would really miss him around here, but at the same time, he needs to get out of this house and just go and live his life.  It would be such a good thing for him, but I guess it's not time yet.  Soon though, I'm sure. 

This week Kyle and I will be running all over creation.  Mostly Kyle.  I so appreciate that young man for all he does to help me out!  He is amazing.  He rarely complains, or at least not too much, and he just quietly does what needs to be done.  I appreciate that.  

It's that time again!  We seem to be very hard on couches.  Especially the couch in my living room.  It never fails that the center cushion area seems to always fall out.  Meaning whatever metal piece that is underneath that particular seat, it either falls out of place somehow.  I hope I'm explaining this right.  Well, it's happened again and we need to replace the couch we have.  I don't know if my kids are jumping on the couch while I am at work during the day or what is happening, but oh my goodness!  Enough already.  Well, Danielle and Chance got a new set of couches from their landlord.  A really nice set too.  So, they offered to let me have their old set.  I agreed and basically accepted the couches without actually seeing them in person.  Until the other day.  While I was at Danielle's house on Saturday I got to see the couches.  The one I think will go great in my living room and now I can't wait to get it over here!  New to me stuff is always fun, especially when it's free!  I am most grateful for the couches since I can't afford to buy a new one right now.  So, now my mind is going a million different directions trying to figure out how we will incorporate the new couch and the new color.  The couch is brown, and my chairs are now black.  So, here is my new proposed color scheme.  Here are a few samples I found that I love.

Quiet, restrained palette embodies the different colors of the earth. From sand to brown and black, the colors of black earth. Gamma gives you a sense of peace, stability and confidence in the future. Will appeal to a balanced or, conversely, a nervous, temperamental individuals that need a balance. Perfect fit in the interior of the living room, study room.:
Color Palette #2826 | Color Palette Ideas - Soft Brown Cream:
контрастное сочетание теплых и холодных тонов, коричневый и черный, оттенки коричневого, оттенки оранжевого и коричневого, оттенки серо-коричневого, оттенки серо-синего цвета, оттенки сине-серого цвета, палитры для дизайнеров, серый, цвет гранита, черный:
Color Palette Love | Black & Gold | DesignerBlogs.com:
This one is just remind me that black and beige can go together:
and....
Warm sepia colors are diluted with the color of red apple. This fall this color solution should be in the wardrobe of every fashionable woman..:
Color Pearl:
rustic farm colors:
I love this site for finding neat color schemes!:
I have to admit, I'm leaning towards something with a touch of blue in it.  I am loving that!  BUT, realistically something like the swatch above with a hint of rust or even a wine color would work really well for me, since I have so much in those colors already.  But now this will give me an excuse to be creative again and I always love that!  That being said, I'm often asked how I do this or that....everything from flower arranging to crafting or to redoing a piece to fit my life to decorating.  Not that I'm an expert about anything but I figure, if I'm learning, I may as well share it, right?!  Today, I'm going to attempt something new here on the blog.  It's a way that I can learn too.  I'll call it How to Tuesday.  On Tuesdays, I'm going to attempt to share a different How To each week.  It will be random things, depending what's on my brain and what I'm learning these days.  If I get desperate, I may resort to things like "how to kill your favorite houseplant". (I'm a pro at that!)  We'll see how it goes.  If you have any questions, email me and I'll see what I can learn and share.  

So, for today, How to Tuesday Is How to Lose One Pound a Week.  I have a goal and one year to reach it.  I like this!  So, I did some research on different ways to lose one pound a week, which would mean 52 pounds in a year of one were consistent.  I've bee attempting it for the past month and so far, so good.  Several pounds down since my last visit to the doctor!  (Yay me!)  However, this weekend, I made tacos/burritos....and I had a little to much!  That could go on the list of How to GAIN a pound a day!  I digress....Here's some simple ways to do the trick.
  1. Stop drinking pop.  Drink water instead.  No diet sodas or anything carbonated.  Soda pop contains sodium which prevents weight loss.  Drink water!  At least 8 glasses a day!  In fact, I have found that if I drink 1/2 my body weight, in ounces, of water per day, I lose weight faster.  For example.  If you weigh 100 pounds, you would drink 50 fluid ounces of water per day.  It may seem like a lot of water at first, but trust me, your body will love it!  Especially in this Arizona heat!  After about 2 weeks the cravings for soda subside.  I've not had a Soda of any kind since right after Danielle's wedding!  That's two months now!!  
  2. Choose three high caloric/high fat/high carb items to remove completely from your diet and replace them with a healthier choice.  For me, it was no fries.  Period!  None.  Replacing fries with a side salad or rice or a baked potato...not white rice, brown, and not a loaded baked potato either.  A few years back, a friend and I went to Wendy's for lunch.  She ordered a baked potato and put ketchup on it.  I thought it was sick and wrong.  She argued, "Why?  You put ketchup on your fries.  What's the difference?"  So, I tried it.  It reminds me of Texas style fried potatoes.  I actually liked it!  No, it's not butter and sour cream, but it's not bad!  I had my last french fry about a month ago and I'm still alive!  
  3. Stop eating four hours before bedtime.  In the past, I did allow myself fresh fruit after 7, if I get hungry when I stay up extra late, but no more bowls of cold cereal just before bedtime.  No more cookies or leftover dessert in the evenings. 
  4. Brush your teeth at the designated "kitchen's closed" hour and that is an incentive to not eat as well.
  5.  Pass on cream-based foods.  Order tomato sauce instead of Alfredo sauce, veggie soup instead of chowders.
  6. Take a 20 minute walk a day....it doesn't have to be a jog.  Just walk! 
  7. Eat 500 calories less per day.  Skip dessert.
  8. Eat 250 less calories per day and do something to burn 250 extra calories per day.
  9. Eat whole grains instead of white bread and other treats.
  10. Eat yogurt instead of ice cream
  11. Eat at home or pack a lunch instead of eating out.  Everything you eat out is slathered in butter, whether you know it or not.  Why do you think everything tastes so much better out?  
  12. Fill up on good things like watermelon,cantaloupe, grapes, green salads so that you aren't craving the other stuff.  Drink lots of water during your meal.
  13. Don't go hours between meals.  Have celery and carrot sticks, apple slices available to snack on. 
  14. Set limits on food that you can't live without.  If you need chips and salsa, then allow yourself a certain amount and be done.  That way you are not feeling deprived, but you aren't over-indulging either.  
  15. If you have no self-control on portions, don't buy it.  I will never buy another giant canister of chocolate covered peanuts again!  LOL!  
Now, just because I've suggested these things doesn't mean that I'm an expert on them.  These are just things that I've read and by sharing them, hopefully, I'll motivate myself and someone else to try a little harder to be a little healthier.  

In other news:
  • Lexi's sore throat seems to be getting better.  She said it only hurts when she yawns now.  She's feeling good enough to go running with a friend in the morning.  This is good news!
  • I've got to get my car into the mechanic so we can pass emissions.  I called Danielle and she has agreed to let us use her car during the day, so I won't have to miss work.  That is a huge help. Now to convince Kyle to drive both of us to work each day the car is in the shop.  This one car thing is getting old fast.  Time for Kyle to get a car.  
  • I did some research and found that when Kevin switches over to Medicare, after he is approved for disability, and after the waiting period, that we can get secondary insurance for him and family coverage for the rest of us for less than what I pay to have medical insurance at work!!!   No kidding!  AND Kevin will not have to deal with all the deductibles, and our family deductible goes from $5800, to $1000 per year.  AND the premiums combined would be about $100 less than what I pay a month for both.  Now, I still need to research all the In's and outs of how the plans work, but if this is true, we will be switching medical coverage for sure!  Putting an extra $100 in out pockets each month is always a good thing.  I'll let you know what I find out after I do the research...and oh, our coverage would be with the same company we are with now.  How crazy is that??!!!
  • Did you know that Wednesday is National Chocolate Ice-Cream Day?  Now that we've talked about how to drop a pound a week, you can't have any.  Try chocolate frozen yogurt instead.  Yum, Yum!  ~smile~smile~
  • Life is crazy.  Life is busy.  BUT, life is good!


A RECIPE:
This recipe was given to me by a friend at work.  She was admitted to the hospital late last night for complications to her M.D.  She has a rare form of muscular dystrophy, and it flares up from time to time.  She said she just took her kids swimming and tried to help teach her daughter how to swim and now she is in the hospital.  I cannot even imagine what she is going through.  She is the nicest and sweetest person you could ever meet too.  So, we are keeping her in and her family in our prayers.  Anyway, she watches her diet all the time because with her condition she should not eat carbs and has worked hard to find healthier ways to make foods that she can eat while staying on her diet.  This recipe is something she has tried and says is really good.  I still need to try it myself.  


LOW CARB ENGLISH MUFFIN


Ingredients
·         2 tbsp unsweetened cashew butter, almond butter or peanut butter
·         1 tbsp butter
·         2 tbsp almond flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
·         1/8 tsp salt
·         1/2 tsp baking powder
·         1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
·         1 egg, beaten
Instructions
1.     Spray the ramekin you are using with olive oil cooking spray or coconut oil spray.
2.     Add the almond butter and butter to the dish.
3.     Microwave for 30 seconds and mix until smooth. Set aside to cool.
4.     In a small bowl whisk the almond flour, salt and baking powder together.
5.     Pour the milk and egg to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
6.     Pour this mixture into the ramekin with the almond butter mixture and stir to combine well.
7.     Microwave 2 minutes.
8.     Allow to cool a few minutes before taking it out of the ramekin and slicing in half to toast.
9.     Toast until desired.
10.  Enjoy!
Notes
Net Carbs: 2g

Today's Quote:


 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...