Friday, May 13, 2016

Thirteen


1. What's something fun you're looking forward to on your May calendar? 

May is always a busy month for us.  We have two birthdays in the family, Mother's Day, and let's not forget about Memorial Day too!  It's always nice to spend time with family and have an extra day off too.  

2. What are some images that come to mind when you hear the word mother?

Creative, reserved, and dependable are just a few that describe my wonderful Mother.  I'm very grateful my Heavenly Father blessed me with her!  My Mom never expects anything and never wants to put anyone out or make them fuss over her.  So, Mother's Day gives us all an excuse to do just that and she can't say a word about that. 
  
3. What's something beautiful you own or have seen that's made of glass? 

Over 40 years ago my Grandparents had a garage sale to downsize their large family home in Farmington, Michigan in order to move to Mesa, Arizona to be closer to their daughter (my mother), their son-in-law, and us kids.  During that garage sale my Mom's good friend purchased boxes and boxes of crystal glasses of all sizes.  The friend still has ALL that she purchased all those years ago and recently downsized her home as well.  This friend has been sending my Mom all of the glasses as Christmas and Birthday gifts.  I got to see all of these absolutely beautiful glasses in a display case in my Mother's home just the other day.  So pretty!!

4. Was today typical? If not what made it unusual? 

Today started out with a visit to my cardiologist.  The fact that I have a cardiologist is frustrating for me so as you can imagine each visit is, let's say, nerve racking.  So, finding myself in my cardiologist's office at 7:30 a.m. is certainly NOT a typical day for me.  AND, the outcome of the visit was just as unusual too. The last time I was there my doctor wanted to set me up for a few tests.  Tests I have dreaded.  In fact, when I as able to cancel the tests due to things that came up for Kevin last year I was tickled!  So, I thought for sure that I would get the same song and dance about the big push for these tests.  BUT, when she saw that I had lost a few pounds since my last visit she was thrilled!!! Frankly I was too.  In fact, she said that because I have improved so much she didn't feel that those tests were warranted.  She even said that I could probably get off the medication I am on if I continue to lose a few more pounds!  She gave me a goal for my next visit......which will be in ONE YEAR!  The first cardiologist I saw always gave me one year follow-ups, but for some reason this new cardiologist just wouldn't do it and wouldn't give me the medication with a one year of refills so I found myself calling their office every few months which was annoying, especially with everything else happening around our home.  As you can imagine I was in shock when I received this news this morning.  I'm still a little blown away.  BUT hey, it is Friday the 13th, and I would expect this to be an unusual day...and that is exactly what it started out as.  

5. What is a quality you wish you could have more of?

I wish I was more of a clean or neat freak.  Sure, I love it when my house is completely clean and tidy, but I do not stress out about it, crack the whip with my family and become the dragon lady about it, or give up things so my house can look like a showroom.  My sanity and my family are far more important than that.  I guess what I would like is the balance between both more in my life.  

6. What's the next major purchase you need to make? Will it happen in the month of May? 

What qualifies as a major purchase?  Right now my idea of a major purchase would be buying all new pots and pans, dishes, glasses, and silverware for my kitchen or buying new couches for my living room and family room.  BUT, realistically these things are just not in the budget right now. At least not all at once, but a girl can have a dream, can't she?! 

7. What responsibility/job/work did you dislike while growing up but has proved helpful to you as an adult?

I didn't work while I was in school until the last six months of my Senior year of high school, but I did do a lot of babysitting and house sitting when I was a teenager.  In fact, I remember the women in our ward coming to my mother to tell her that I was number one on their list as the best babysitter in the ward.  That meant a lot to me as a teenager and I took pride in myself and the job that I did.  I think the thing that I disliked most about babysitting was the low pay and having to put a child down in their bed and listening to them cry themselves to sleep.  It was hard to let them cry at first, but later when I became a mother I realized that this was not a bad thing and I could handle the short moments of my child crying and then falling asleep.  
I also learned, at a young age, that if a baby cried for more than 4-5 minutes (at the most!) and couldn't calm themselves down then something wasn't right.  I spent a lot of time hanging out in the hallways of the homes I babysat in listening to these little ones.  Those few minutes always seemed like an eternity, but I learned a few things about parenting that proved to be worthwhile information when I got old enough to have my own children.  There are many many other things I learned from those babysitting and house sitting jobs I had as a youth, like seeing how hard a divorce can be on children, or how some people lived on so little.  I also learned a lot from those I babysat for that were not of my faith too.  People say Mormons are weird and peculiar people because we do not do certain things.  I would agree, we are! 
I think I learned to appreciate my beliefs more at a very young age and I decided at a young age what I wanted for my future and what I didn't want so when the time came to choose I was prepared to make the choices I had decided on when I was young and I would say I would make the same choices again knowing what I know now on the other side of my choices.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 



My random thought for today.  I always surprises me when someone displays courage against the crowd.  AND it is something that is NEVER forgotten when you see someone display this kind of courage.

That's all folks.  Take care and we will talk again soon. 
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...