Friday, May 20, 2016

I Think....

Okay, I have a question.  As many of you know I am a Mormon.  My question.  Why do some Mormons act like someone elses "gayness" is going to rub off on them?  My oldest daughter recently took a new job working at a school and many of the people she works with are Mormon and there are a few that are not.  These Mormon woman have been very mean to one teacher in particular who happens to be a single black mom and she is also gay.  My daughter said in the one week she has been at the school she had heard the mean comments these ladies have made while standing outside this teacher's classroom and loud enough for everyone to hear.  In fact, one day while this teacher was teaching her class and these women came around and made comments this teacher fired back, "Yeah, well I don't like you either", without skipping a beat and went on to work with her students.  Talk about a bad work environment!!  Eventually this teacher found out that my daughter was also Mormon and she piped right up and asked my daughter, "Are you going to have a problem with me to because I'm gay?"  To which my daughter said, "No, and I don't know why some Mormons act like it's going to rub off on them."  To which this teacher just laughed and replied, "You are right, they do act that way!  I like you, you get it!"  I have to say, this was a very proud Mom moment for me!  I felt so bad for this teacher.  You see, this teacher not only is a single parent of three children who works full time, her oldest child, a 16 year old, suffers from leukemia.  From what I understand this woman has really had a hard time just dealing with the fact that her child is so sick.  Then to have to put up with the name calling and poor treatment of those she works with too!  Danielle said this teacher said work was her place of peace.  I was shocked that even though the other women were so mean and hateful she still called work a place of peace.  It just goes to show you that some people are dealing with very heavy burdens.  My heart goes out to this woman because I know the burden she carries.  I know that she must feel so alone and could really use a friend and certainly does not need the attitude from those women.  AND, I am embarrassed by the way those women of my faith have acted because I know they were not taught to be so cruel.  

My Mom has an old friend she has known since college.  They grew up in the same town and my Mom still keeps in touch with her.  This friend married a man when she was younger, lost a baby, and eventually ended up getting divorced.  Some time after her divorce she ended up announcing that she was gay.  This was many many years ago.  My Mom and this friend have remained close even though there are many miles between them because this friend lives in Michigan.  This friend is also the lady I mentioned before that bought my Grandmother's crystal many years ago when she had a bigger home and now that she has downsized her home and doesn't have room for all of it, has decided to send these crystal glasses to my Mother as gifts.  Some of those pieces have been around for many many years and are now treasured gifts because they remind us all of my wonderful Grandmother.  This is the kind of example I was raised with.  Even when your friends make choices you do not exactly agree with, that doesn't mean you cannot still be friends.  Being their friend does not mean that you have to agree with all of their decisions.  I think it shows the character of the one who can remain a true friend.  This is my Mom and the example that was set when I was very young and I am very grateful for my Mother's example.

When I was a young married woman I worked for a hospital.  While I was there I had the opportunity to work with several different bosses because in any given day I could admit a patient, do bed scheduling, schedule someone for a test, bill insurance companies, as well as audit patient records for billing consistencies.  I wore many hats.  I worked with many women who were not Mormon and one who was Mormon.  The one who was Mormon took a temp job in admitting and when a permanent job became available in my department I let this person know.  Well, as soon as my Mormon co-worker found out that she would be working for my boss she refused to apply even after everyone had pretty much told her she was shoe in for the position.  The reason she refused to apply was because my boss was gay.  This co-worker was afraid of AIDS.  Keep in mind, this was back in the late 80's and early 90's.  I still to this day am shocked and embarrassed by this co-workers attitude and I will never forget my outrage by her decision, and beside myself that she would pass up a permanent position when she was told she was their first choice for the job just because her boss was gay!  I couldn't believe it!  

We all know what the scriptures say about being gay, but I was taught to hate the sin, not the sinner.  I also know that my church has come out with some very strong views on being gay and the General Church Authorities have outlined some very strict decisions for children of gay parents.  While I do agree with their decision and support it completely, I still do not know everything there is to know about it.  I'm still learning and honestly, this isn't something I have had to deal with in my personal life so it could take some time for me to fully understand.  I do know that I have complete faith in the leaders of my church and know that their decision was needed in this day and age.  

What I am trying to say is....
 I do know what it feels like to be passed over, talked about, and looked down on.  Maybe not for the same reasons the teacher I mentioned above was, but I can sympathize with her.  I have felt it for many different reasons over the course of my 49 short years on this earth, from people I've worked with, from family members, from women at church, and various other times as well, but I'm sure everyone has felt this from time to time.  And I'm sure I haven't seen the last of this kind of behavior.  I guess what I'm trying to say here is we all need to try a little harder to be a little better and a little nicer to each other.  Life sure is a lot more enjoyable when we do, for everyone, don't you think??  Not to mention that if we all claim to be followers of Jesus Christ, who did not always agree with the choices his followers made, but still went out of his way to help everyone no matter who they were.  Then shouldn't we try to do the same and be more Christlike?  Again, hate the sin, not the sinner.  We all need help along the way. 

Here is a nice story to think about...

This guy is walking down the street when he falls into a hole.  The walls are so steep that he can't climb out.  A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, "Hey, doctor can you help me out?"  The doctor writes a prescription and throws it down into the hole.  Then a Priest comes by and the guy shouts up, "Father, I'm down in this hole, can you help me out?"  The Priest writes out a prayer and he throws it down into the hole.  Then a friend walks by, the guy shouts up, "Hey Joe, it's me, I'm down here in this hole, can you help me out?"  And the friend jumps in the hole.  The guy says, "Joe, are you stupid?"  The friend says, "Yeah, but I've been down here before, and I know the way out."  

This little story says it all.  It reminds me why good friends are so important and why we all need them.  This is the kind of friend I hope to be when I have friends down in the hole, and this is the kind of friend I hope we have taught our children to be.  I tend to get a little worried and frustrated sometimes over all the struggles we have had over the years, but then when I hear that my children are able to recognize when others around them are struggling and need help, where others miss the signs, it reminds me how our struggles were shaping our children and teaching things I never could have taught them any other way than to experience the things we have over the years.  I honestly never thought I'd say this, but I am grateful for our struggles and for the things my children have learned.  I am grateful my children have the courage to stand up and say something when they see someone being treated unfairly, even when it means they have to stand alone.  Danielle didn't make many friends when she told that teacher she didn't plan to treat her badly because she was gay.  In fact, it was quite the opposite.  I'm proud of her for doing the right thing especially when it wasn't the easy thing to do.  Proud Mom moments!  

And that's enough about that.

Yesterday Kevin ran out of the medicine for his nerve pain and he wouldn't let me pick up his refill because he didn't want to make us short these next couple of weeks.  Well, from yesterday to today Kevin has been throwing up all day and can't keep anything down and he was begging me to go pick up his refill when I got home from work.  Not good!  He was in such extreme pain by the time I got home.  I felt bad.  This has got to get better for him somehow.  On my way home I decided to call social security, then our attorney or advocate is what they call them.  They said we should hear something any time now, but if we don't by mid June we should call them back.  Arg!  I've decided we just need to win the lottery.  That could potentially solve all of our money problems, but you have to play.  A windfall of money would be great!  A girl can have a dream, can't she??!!  It's cheap entertainment thinking about what I'd do with that windfall.  Ha ha!

I did get the names of a couple places that can help with extended care for Kevin.  We have to get him approved for social security first and then we can move forward.  This was a step in the right direction.  I have to say, I've been feeling pretty down lately like I may have no other choice but to make some very tough decisions that ultimately could ruin us in just about every way.  I guess I've been feeling this way because I just couldn't see a way around things.  It's funny to me sometimes how help or answers come through the help of someone who has no idea how profoundly they are helping you at the time.  Again, another miracle and proof to me that there is a God and he knows me and is very much aware of the things I need.  That is a blessing indeed!!!

Lexi is having a rough day.  She has another migraine.  She's spent a lot of time resting.  Hopefully she will feel better tomorrow.  Tomorrow is Friday!  Yes!

Check out this cookie recipe.  Yum!

Lemon Dimples

INGREDIENTS

1½ stick unsalted butter
½ c. confectioners’ sugar
¼ c. granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking powder
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 can cup prepared lemon curd

DIRECTIONS

Beat butter and sugars in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in egg, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla. On low speed, beat in baking powder, then flour, until incorporated. Cover; chill dough 1 hour. Place lemon curd into a small zip top food-storage bag; seal bag.

Heat oven to 350°F. You'll need baking sheets lined with parchment. Shape scant tablespoonful of dough into balls; place 2 in. apart on prepared sheets. With index finger, make a deep indentation in center of each. Snip a tiny corner of zip top bag and pipe lemon curd into dough indentations to fill completely (about 1 tsp per cookie).

Bake 15 minutes or until cookie edges just begin to lightly brown. Cool completely on baking sheet on wire rack. Dust cookie edges with confectioners' sugar before serving.

Here is a photo of my chairs.  I need some throw pillow in a light blue or something.  I'm thinking something in a slate blue or in all of those blue shades of the sea that are so popular now.  Right now this is too dark.  It needs to be lightened up with some gold and a lighter blue, don't you think?  It's a work in progress and actually gives me something to think about other than my troubles.  It may take me months and months to come up with the right solution to lighten and brighten this area, but who cares!  It will come and I can be patient.  

It's coming along, a little at a time.  It's a work in progress.  

These are some of the shades of blue I'm considering...


We received another quick letter from Curtis.  Here it is....

Hey Everybody,

     This week we had zone conference which was really good.  We talked a lot about teaching the restoration and did a ton of role plays which are the worst. hahah
 We just got done bowling. I bowled a 130 only,  but
I curved the ball pretty good.  I slipped and took a fall as well (not
during bowling) and got a little road rash nothing too bad. Tomorrow we are gonna go to an Alcoholics Anonymous thing with an investigator, then we're gonna go to the addiction recovery program at the church so you better believe I won't be drinking. hahah. 
Nothing too exciting happened this week, but we had a lot of fun.  Hope you're all doing well have a great week :)

Love,

Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPhone

Here is a photo of his road rash.



It's been a busy couple of days. Kevin is finally feeling better and able to keep food down again.  He had me scared there for a bit.  Time to put his refills on some kind of calendar schedule so I can plan ahead in the budget better.  Having him miss his medicine is a very bad thing and we need to be better at keeping track of it.  I have to admit, the budget has been a tough one to keep in check.  Some times there are just too many variables and surprises and I get frustrated that there isn't enough to cover all of our expenses.  We need to get an answer from Social Security soon!  Like in the next couple of days so I can stop stressing and move on to the next step of maybe in home care or something.  And then we need them to come through with the first installment so I can stop stressing too.  I know, these things take time.   

Lexi still has a migraine.  This is the longest one she has had yet.  Today while I was at work she sent me a message begging me to come home.  I talked to her for a bit and got her calmed down and did not go home.  I felt bad, but I was confident that she would be okay.  This evening she said not only was her head hurting but her side was too.  I think she has a bladder infection.  Arg!  Look out Urgent Care, here we come.

Well, it's been a crazy week.  Here is hoping next week is a little less crazy!  Take care my friends and we will talk again soon.  Enjoy your weekend.  

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...