Friday, April 1, 2016

The Temple, A Missionary Letter, AND a Few Projects!

WOW!  We have had a lot happen over the past couple of days at our house! 
 
This happened.....
  

Our oldest child went through the temple this past Tuesday!!
It was a very exciting day.  I was fine until the temple matron started crying as she read from D&C 109 and shared one of the promises received for making temple covenants.  Then I cried again as Danielle made the last covenant of the day with her Heavenly Father.  Danielle said it was awesome and there are very specific parts that she absolutely LOVED and some things she understands a little better now.  She said she understands why I said some of the things I said a few days before her going through the temple on Tuesday for herself.  That made me feel good to know that she was listening to what I said and that she understands why I said what I said.  That's always a good thing for a parent.  It's a very proud Mom and Dad moment to have her be able to go through the temple.  That's three out of our four children now that have gone through the temple.  We have one more to go, but she is only 16 so it's going to be a few years before that happens.  I love that I have another photo to place on my wall next to our temple picture.  That's always a great thing!
 
We've been getting a lot done lately.  ALL of the bridal party flowers are done! 
 
The bridal bouquet.  Here it is...
 
 
It's not a perfect view of the bouquet, but it's the best I'm going to do until after the wedding.  I was given permission to share it since someone else shared it the other day.  Hence the reason the bride gave me the okay! 
 
It's in a basket we lugged around the grounds of the temple with a few other props used for the bridal photos.  They had a off-white parasol and a wooden "&" sign. 
 
I've finished the groom's boutonniere, the 4 groomsmen's boutonniere's.  the two father's boutonniere's, the two mother's corsages, the 5 grandfather's boutonniere's, and the 6 grandmother's corsages.  I have also made the maid of honor bouquet....here is a sneak peak....
 
 
again, not the best view, but a little peak at colors.  This will be our youngest daughter's bouquet.
 
and the 3 bridesmaid bouquets....


 I still have one of the two throw bouquets to do, but we are waiting to see what we end up with for that one. 
 
We will be doing a bouquet throw for the big girls and another one for the little girls.  That way the little girls get a better chance and don't get hurt in the process by the big girls.
 
I finally found the perfect light bulb for our lamp.  Can you see it??  What do you think??
 
 
 I haven't even turned the lamp on since I found the light bulb.  I should turn it on, shouldn't I???!!! 
We've also been painting.  I painted a bed frame white.  I painted this chair a bright green.  We have something fun planned for this chair, but we won't give that away just yet. 
 
I've painted lawn furniture white, but still have a piece or two to finish, and I've painted a picture frame gold. Then I have one yard statue to finish painting, and 4 ceiling tiles to paint.  We're almost finished painting!!!! 
 
The yard statue... 
 
It looks a little rough in the photo, but when you see it in
person it kind of looks like it has a patina or something.  The bride likes it this way.  It's growing on me.  I still may paint it again.  We will see.  Give me until tomorrow to think on it. 
 
Remember that picture frame I mentioned below that I re-painted gold?  Well, the frame was something I picked up several months ago on a Facebook group for about $10.00.  It was a great price even though it needed a little TLC and had a rooster canvas inside of it.  The inside of the frame measures 24x36.  I had planned to put a nice color photo of the happy couple inside if I could find a way to get one printed at a super cheap price.  When I went searching online Walmart could do a 20x30 print for $18.75.  Which would mean I would need some kind of mat for inside the frame.  So, I checked out prices at Hobby Lobby.  Did you know they don't have pre-cut mats for a 24x36 size opening?  I was bummed.  Honestly, I never expected them to have one.  So, I ventured to the custom framing desk.  It was going to cost me $24.00 to have a hot pink mat cut to the size I needed.  I opted to wait on the mat.  I wanted to see if I could get a better deal someplace else.  Well, I found a better option.
 
We were going to OfficeMax to have extra large photos printed of the couple in black and white.  Did you know they can print 36x102 sized photos in black and white, and it costs less than $5.00 each???  While we were there I found out that they could print the photo I wanted in color for $23.50.  That's right, 24x36 for a couple extra bucks and I wouldn't need a frame after all!!  Then the lady at the counter only charged us $3.99 for each of the large black and white photos we wanted.  AND...she gave us a 20% off coupon on top of all of that too.  So, all 6 extra large prints and my color print, at the right size I needed, only cost us $36.00 after tax combined.  They totally beat Walmart and I get the size I need on whatever kind of paper I want!  Plus, I don't have to spend another $24.00 to have a custom mat made for the frame!!!  Talk about score!!!  I was so happy!  Now we have all the photos we want for the walls and frames at the reception and it didn't cost an arm and a leg for them!!  OfficeMax did everything we needed and saved us money too!  Thank you!!!
AND for you local folks, I went to the OfficeMax on Broadway and Rural in Tempe because they have a laser printer that can handle photos on their big industrial blueprint printer.  We stopped in to their print shop about a week ago.  The representative we talked to then was extremely nice and even gave us his card so we could call him if we needed to.  When we got to the store today he was busy and we didn't want to interrupt him.  So, we went with the other representative.  I have to say, they totally exceeded my expectations!  We stopped to another OfficeMax in Gilbert and they were not as nice or accommodating.  I am so glad we waited and took the time to check out the Tempe store because they rock!!  Even though they were very busy with all the ASU students projects for finals and things they treated us like we were their only client.  It was amazing!!
 
This is my frame.  (It's in front of my chalkboard and my buckets of flowers)
 
 
Here's a better photo of our chalkboard!  All done and before I conditioned it.  I just have a little wooden medallion to paint and  attach to a spot at the top of the board itself.  You can see the square I want to cover in the photo above.  It's a rough spot towards the top that doesn't look so good and will stand out after the conditioning.  I don't want it to stand out like a sore thumb. 

I also painted these red lanterns black.  They are a plug in type that we will hang from the doors the couple plans to stand in front of.  You know the doors.  The ones in my living room.  Then the pink couch a friend is letting us borrow will sit in front of the doors.
 
My Mom is making this extra large old storybook we plan to put just inside the doors to the cultural hall that will say, "This is where our story begins" or something about a story of the couple.  My Mom text Danielle and I today to ask if the size was right and to say she plans to do a drawing of the happy couple on one of the pages of the book too.  The book will be placed next to this carriage.  I can't wait to see the book!  The carriage and book represent the couple's little fairytale that begins on their wedding day.  Here is the carriage.  It lights up and is five feet long and four feet tall.  It's a Christmas yard decoration this group was selling.  They have a lighting company and did lighting displays for all kinds of people for Halloween and Christmas.  I guess they sell the things they use after their events are done.  So, we got it for a great price!  We'll have to put it together that day!  Won't that be fun.  LOL!
 
We also received a letter from our missionary.  Here is that letter....
 
Hey Guys,
 
This week was pretty normal.  We taught Jxxxxx and Cxxxxxx, who are our main focus right now.  Transfers are fast approaching.  I think that I'm leaving this area soon, which is bitter sweet.  I'll be happy either way.  Elder Nutall and I get along pretty well, which means it would suck to get transferred to possibly someone I may not get along with.  I've been very lucky to have awesome companions so far.  I was talking to President Smith and he talked to me about training and being a district leader. To be honest, it totally took he by surprise and I got a little nervous.  
 
Anyways, I have to get going.  Some people asked for a visit, which means our P-day will have to end shortly, which is just the way it goes, but that's okay.  I have plenty more P-days to come.  :)

Here's a Zone photo of Curtis and his buddies.



 Love,
 

Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad
 
Today Danielle and I had to run out to her house to pick up the photo disk we needed for the print shop.  While we were there I tried to go by the Walmart I ordered the 20x30 print from.  As things turned out the power was out at that Walmart location so I couldn't pick it up and I ended up cancelling it.  It was a good thing I was able to cancel it.  BUT, as we pulled into the parking lot there was this young homeless man with all of his gear and bedroll standing there with a sign that said, "Homeless, Please Help."  You could tell just by the back of this young man that he was down on his luck.  So, as we were leaving and I caught a look at this young man I had to pull over and give him what cash I had.  He just touched my heart so much!  I gave the $7.00 I had to Danielle and she handed it out the window to the young man.  As he took the money tears welled up in his eyes and she could tell that he was truly grateful for that $7.00.  I pulled away from the curb and out into traffic before Danielle told me he was crying.  If I would have known he was crying I would have stopped the car and got out to give him a great big hug and tried to do more if I could.  I felt so bad for him.  Have you noticed lately that the homeless people are either elderly people of very young?  It's crazy!  Danielle said the other day Chance and her came across this old lady who was holding a sign asking for help.  Police had stopped to try and get her to leave the corner she was on.  I guess she was quite loud as she explained to the police that she was kicked out of the nursing home she was in because her son couldn't afford to pay the bill.  How sad is that??!!!  Can you believe that??!!  From a nursing home to the side of the road and homeless!  Chance said he told Danielle he had to do something and he handed her some money.  I know handing money to someone on the street is not always the best practise and some frown on that, and I tend to NOT give to those I have seen day after day at the same corners.  BUT, for some reason this young man just tugged on my heart strings and that scripture in Mosiah 4:19-26 came to my mind.  This is what is says.....
 
"19 For behold, are we not all beggars?  Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind? 
 
20 And behold, even at this time, ye have been calling on his name, and begging for a remission of your sins.  And has he suffered that ye have begged in vain?  Nay; he has poured our his Spirit upon you, and has caused that your hearts should be filled with joy, and has caused that your mouths should be stopped that ye could not find utterance, so exceedingly great was your joy.
 
21 And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye ought to impart of the substance that ye have one to another.
 
22 And if ye judge the man who putteth up his petition to you for your substance that he perish not, and condemn him, how much more just will be your condemnation for withholding your substance, which doth not belong to you but to God, to whom also your life belongeth; yet ye put up no petition, nor repent of the thing which thou has done.
 
23 I say unto you, wo be unto that man, for his substance shall perish with him; and now, I say these things unto those who are rich as pertaining to the things of this world.
 
24 And again, I say unto the poor, ye who have not and yet have sufficient, that ye remain from day to day; I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give.
 
25 And now, if ye say this in your hearts ye remain guiltless, otherwise ye are condemned; and your condemnation is just for ye covet that which ye have not received.
 
26 And now, for the sake of these things which I have spoken unto you-that is, for the sake of retaining a remission of your sins from day to day, that ye may walk guiltless before God-I would that ye should impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants."
 
Here is a video on the subject too...

 

Elder Holland is probably my favorite Apostle!  He is so awesome!  We get to hear him speak sometime this weekend.  I'm excited for General Conference and I'm excited to hear from my all time favorite General Authorities as well as the others that I will come to love as well. ~smile~smile~
 
It's been a busy week!  I still have so much to do, but it will all get done eventually.  I'm excited!  I'm nervous.  AND I'm a little sad too.  Even though Danielle has been out of our house for about a year now, ALL of our lives are changing with this marriage.  We are letting go a little more and that is hard on parents some times.  YES, we are super excited for her, but at the same time it's a tough thing.  We love Chance!  He is so good to our daughter and we couldn't ask for a better young man to become her husband and our Son (in-law).  Today Danielle and I were out at the print shop and Chance called her while we were in the car.  He jokingly said to her for me that I could borrow his lady now, but after the wedding she belongs to him.  I laughed, but I am so glad he is protective of her.  "His lady!"  He made me smile.  He is a hoot!  I'm sure I'll be sharing funny stories and things he says in days, months, and years to come.  As well as some crazy photos too.  I have some funny ones of the bridal photo shoot on my phone now I wish I could share, but I have to wait.  BUT, there will be posted soon.  I sent them to his Mom and she laughed at her son too.  Crazy kid!  LOL! 
 
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...