Sunday, February 7, 2016

Wow! What a Sunday!

When I woke up this morning all I could think about were the two photos Danielle sent me late last night.  Holy cow!  They are amazing!  The photographer captured the emotion you want to feel when you see a young couple in love, and she used the natural light from the sun in a way that just took my breath away!  And I'm not just saying that because it's my daughter getting married either.  Those photos literally stopped me in my tracks! I told Danielle those photos just made what we are doing here seem real.  Finally I feel like we are planning a wedding and not just some big party.  Wow!  Kasey Reed (our photographer) you are amazing!!!  

I'm also lying here thinking about those darn orange poppies!  Can you believe that?  I know spray painting silk flowers doesn't sound good, but I've done it before and the flowers looked awesome! My mother-in-law gave me a bunch of rust colored silk mums one time and well, rust just wasn't my color so I bought a can of cranberry or wine colored spray paint and changed them up.  In fact, I use them all the time.  I even used them on the table at one of our big Thanksgiving dinners at our home when the table was set in burgundy and gold colors.  It was the very first Thanksgiving dinner we had at our house with all of Kevin's family.  I've got photos around here somewhere I'll try to find to show you the flowers.  

Here you go.  I just scattered flowers down the center on some gold and off white lace fabric.  This table was made with four of the large banquet tables tied together underneath.  We sat 20 people at this table.  It was a little cramped but everyone had a place at the "big" table. No big kids or little kids tables for us!  LOL!  


If I don't spray paint the flowers maybe I'll be able to take them apart and use some hot pink Rit Dye on them to change up the color.  Just a thought.  
And a few photos of our home then too....


 This is the other big Thanksgiving dinner we did at our house too...different color scheme.

For this second big Thanksgiving the only flowers were in the big tall arrangement in the middle of our huge table.  The huge turquoise flowers I made out of dyed coffee filters left over from a wreath we made for my nieces wedding.  

And while we are at it....
Here are a few other photos of our home.  
These photos will let me show you some of the things we will be using for the reception.  That giant letter "S" is going to be used.  The chicken wire frame behind it will be used too.  My tall lamps might be used.  (If I maybe change up the shades and/or paint the lamps themselves too). The clock on the black table and then those yard statues will be used too.  We will paint the artichoke a mossy green to go with our garden/woodsy theme or something.  
Then in this photo all of the doors.  That blue door is now black.  My candlesticks in the center of the coffee table will be used, and maybe my lamps and black end tables too.
In this photo my two red chairs will be used with slip covers over them.
In this photo you can barely see a large green plant on top of the hutch and a black bird cage.
This clock will be used and the chair too. We have something fun planned for the chair, but we are saving those details for later.
You can see one of my black end tables tucked away on the side.  Far left bottom corner of the photo...those might be used as
my black sofa table too...
Seeing these photos reminds me of a few other things throughout the house.  Like this...
These lamps use tea lights 
The bench in this photo is what I want you to see.  We have two of these and they are about five feet long each.
The wood baskets each have chalkboard on the sides.
I have three of these little plants
The clock stands up on its own
I have two trays.  This one in the photo and a large wicker one.  I also have a solid wood one that needs handles.  
I like these stackable cases.  I'm note sure what we will use them for yet, but somewhere.
These are cabinet doors.  We may use them along the wall somewhere.
This is the foot board of a bed frame.  This will be by the guest book with a banner on it.
The step might get used to put a plant it two on.
This bench is now white and we will find a spot for it somewhere.
These plant stands will get a coat of white paint.

I have a bed frame, a bistro table, a white metal window box, a gate, several table top topiary trees and a couple stand alone topiary trees, easels, candlesticks, a few sets of white shutters, a wood cart we might or might not use if we paint it.  I also have these for food..









 All of this may not look like much right now, but with some paint and a few mad craft skills it will all come together.  

Speaking of food...aren't these cupcakes cute???!!!

Love them!  So pretty.

Sorry.  I'm getting a little carried away. But this helps me see what we have. 
Enough wedding for a bit....

I made it to church today.  By myself, but I made it!!!!  I'm happy with myself for getting there and staying for the whole thing.  Today was fast and testimony meeting.  One of the first people to bear their testimony was a young mother.  She shared this quote and it has stuck with me.  I even wrote it in the notes on my phone.  

The quote is, "If everything eternal is in tact, then nothing else matters."  
How true that is!  

For a while now I've struggled wondering what the future holds for Kevin and I.  I think those thoughts are the ones that keep me up at night more than others.  Sure, I struggle with the day to day things, but those things come and go.  It's the thought of becoming a burden to my children now (I know what you are thinking....too late!!) that bothers me.  I don't want them to look to us as a source of frustration for them, but how do I keep that from happening?  Then this quote just helped to ease some of my anxiety about our future.  Yes, the eternal things are in tact, and we will continue to keep them in tact.  That is the key right there!  Making sure those eternal things continue to remain in tact.  That means making sure our children make and keep sacred covenants.  This means that we get back to doing those things that strengthen our core family by attending our meetings, reading our scriptures, saying prayers, and all of those things that we know we should do daily.  These are the things that will help us all keep those eternal things in tact.  This is what I need to focus my time on.  The adversary wants me to dwell on and stress about our future, but the teachings of the gospel show me what really matters.  Sure the temporal and physical things are important...but like the teacher mentioned in Relief Society today, you have to have a balance of all of these things.  BUT if the spiritual things are off kilter then everything else will be too.  That is the core that I need to focus my attention on.  This is where I start.....again.  Then as I go I can add more to this a little at a time.  

In Relief Society a quote by President Uchtdorf was mentioned that I thought I'd share.  


In ancient Greece, runners competed in a relay race called a lampadedromia.1 In the race, runners held a torch in their hand and passed it on to the next runner until the final member of the team crossed the finish line.
The prize wasn’t awarded to the team that ran fastest—it was awarded to the first team to reach the finish line with its torch still lit.
 
It’s human nature to stumble, fail, and sometimes want to drop out of the race. But as disciples of Jesus Christ, we have committed not only to begin the race but also to finish it—and finish it with our torch still burning brightly. The Savior promised His disciples, “He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved” (Matthew 24:13).
Let me paraphrase what the Savior has promised in our day: If we keep His commandments and finish with our torch still lit, we will have eternal life, which is the greatest of all the gifts of God (see D&C 14:7; see also 2 Nephi 31:20).
Sometimes after stumbling, failing, or even giving up, we get discouraged and believe our light has gone out and our race is lost. But I testify that the Light of Christ cannot be extinguished. It shines in the darkest night and will relight our hearts if only we incline our hearts to Him (see 1 Kings 8:58).
No matter how often or how far we fall, the Light of Christ ever burns brightly. And even in the deepest night, if we but step toward Him, His light will consume the shadows and reignite our souls.
This race of discipleship is not a sprint; it’s a marathon. And it makes little difference how fast we go. In fact, the only way we can lose the race is by finally giving in or giving up.
As long as we continue to rise up and move toward our Savior, we win the race with our torches burning brightly.
For the torch is not about us or about what we do.
It is about the Savior of the world.
And that is a Light that can never be dimmed. It is a Light that swallows the darkness, heals our wounds, and blazes even in the midst of the deepest sorrow and unfathomable darkness.
It is a Light that surpasses understanding.
May each of us finish the path we have begun. And with the help of our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, we will finish joyfully and with our torches still lit.
I gained a lot by getting to church today.  Not all of it was gospel related either.  I learned that our Relief Society President has some tried and true cupcake recipes.  I'm going to have to talk with her about those recipes and see if she would be willing to share.  Yay! (Yes, I'm back to talking about the wedding again!)
My sister in law is doing a bridal shower for Danielle next month.  The other day she sent us a text asking for names and addresses.  So today sends me a text to say she has 80 plus addresses.  At first I thought she was talking about the shower.  I had visions of my sister in law falling out of her chair once we presented her with the list.  Yikes!  Thankfully I was wrong.  This was what Danielle has so far for the wedding/reception.  Thank goodness.  
Well.  It's been a good day, but it's time to get going to do a few other things.  Take care friends and we will talk again soon!
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...