Saturday, February 27, 2016

Wednesday to Saturday

Because life keeps coming at me with all it's twists and turns, I've decided to try and not reflect on the bad and look for things to be grateful or happy about.   Here goes....

 I'm grateful the weather has cooled off a bit again.  In my opinion this is the perfect weather, and I hope it sticks around for a while.  

I'm grateful my Dad and Sisters are feeling better.  They were all pretty sick with that nasty cold/flu going around.  When I called the house I couldn't even recognize my Dad's voice he had it so bad.  Here's hoping my Mom doesn't come down with it too.  

FaceTime is a great thing, don't you think?  I think I've used it more over the past month then I ever have before.  I'll FaceTime  with Kevin or Lexi and Kyle on my way home from work.  It makes for a much nicer ride home and I can relax and not worry about things at home while I'm stuck in traffic.  It's a good thing!  I usually call home with FaceTime , plug my phone into the car charger, and then set my phone on the dash so my hands are free to drive.  That way the family doesn't really see me as I'm driving.

 With our new found love of Facetime we've had some fun conversations with Danielle too.  About a week ago Lexi found this bright pink lipstick she wanted to put on and tell her sister she intended to wear it to the wedding.  (Not really.  She just wanted to tease her sister). You can see the lovely shade of pink in the corner view of Lexi here...

Along with the lovely photo of Danielle and her fish face.  That lipstick was something else!  After a while Lexi got a little crazy and put the lipstick all over her face.  I never actually got a picture of that.  I wished I would have.  I have a few other "lovely" photos of Danielle but she got a few of me, so we won't post the others.  That way she won't post the photos of me.  I'll be nice.  Let's hope Danielle is nice too.  (Crossing my fingers)

Remember my monthly theme idea at the beginning of the year?  And my having to do two at once?  Well, it's still a work in progress.  I think my focus lately has been on my sharing the love theme lately.  What says I Love You more than taking the time to care for a family member?  Sure, it's just been the way it's had to be, but at the same time my husband comes first before many other things, including myself.  There is only one thing my husband comes second to and that is my Heavenly Father and I hope I don't come before Him in my husbands life as well.  I just hope my husband knows how much I love and care about him.  I'm not perfect at this care giver role.  In fact, I fall short in many ways, but I'm trying.  Kevin, I love you more than words can say.  

I haven't been very crafty lately, searched Pinterest for fun craft ideas, or even worked on wedding stuff lately.  I think it's been about a week since I've done anything wedding related.  We're at a stand still lately.  Danielle hasn't been by the house, dropped anything off, or even had anything shipped to the house in a while.  It's been a little strange lately, but my mind has been on other things.  Plus Danielle started her new job this week.  She managed to get through the training quickly and so they started her a little sooner.  I'm sure she is relieved about that!  I'm hoping this new job works out well for her.  I know the schedule will be a welcomed change for her.  No more crazy night shifts or weekend shifts.  It's a good thing.  I'm excited to hear how her week went.  More on that later.

One thing that did happen that's wedding related.  My brother was helping me to come up with a way to raise up this structure we plan to build.  Well, this weekend he sent me a photo of what he came up with and I think it will work out just fine.  He was going to come over this last weekend to show me, but I had to reschedule.  With Kevin not well, and then Lexi dealing with an upset stomach I thought it was best to wait a bit.  Besides, I didn't even go to church this past Sunday or go to Danielle's house like I had planned on Saturday because everyone was not good.  I only did what I had to do.  Groceries.  That's it.  So, we will have my brother come by next weekend.  I'm excited that he was so willing to help.  I have an awesome brother, don't I???  

Update:  it's Saturday afternoon and Danielle stopped by to drop off two full totes of flowers, her giant letters, signs, jars, and globe lights.  My living room just got a little smaller and she still has more at her house.  While she was here I made her lay out the big letters on the driveway to spell out her soon to me new last name.  She wanted to get a photo for her fiance so he could see what we were talking about.  Here they are.  We still need to paint the "E" and the "R" and maybe the white "N", but you get the idea.

We plan to put these on fence pieces and set them up on the stage in our cultural hall as a backdrop to the food tables at the reception.  What do you think?  I'll paint the other letters eventually once I am up to it.  I'm still a little stiff from my fall.  

With the way thing have been going lately I went on a quick search for something uplifting to read that would brighten my spirits.  I just had a minute and flipped to a few quotes.  I seem to always gravitate to the quotes.  (Note to self....  Maybe you should turn to my scriptures instead.)  Anyway, I stumbled across this and liked it and thought I'd share.  

My goal is to be like the moon. 
I know I will never produce light, all light comes from the Son. My goal is to but reflect His light and love.
Some times I feel like I am a new moon. I have little effect, and that like the new moon no light gets through to others. 
But other times, when I serve and follow the Spirit I feel like the full moon. I feel the love of Christ pouring through me to help others. 
Lord, please help me to always be like the full moon, in the name of Jesus Christ amen. 
--by:  Go Go Goff
I also stumbled across this recipe.  Take a look.   Yum!


 
Raspberry Sweet Rolls

 
INGREDIENTS:
For the dough:
2 packages yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons), dissolved in 1 cup lukewarm water
6 tablespoons shortening (Crisco)
1 cup granulated sugar
9 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups hot water
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon salt

For the filling:
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Zest of 1 large lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
 
DIRECTIONS:
1. Add yeast to 1 cup of lukewarm water. Stir with a spoon and set aside for about five minutes.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add shortening, sugar, and salt to hot water and beat for 30 seconds. Let cool to lukewarm temperature. Stir in 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast mixture and mix until well combined. Mix in the beaten eggs.
3. Gradually stir in the remaining flour and mix with the dough hook for about 2 minutes. Remove dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured counter. Knead by hand, add a little flour if the dough is still sticky. Knead until dough feels satiny and smooth.
4. Put the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise for 30 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
5. Remove dough from bowl and place on a lightly floured counter. Divide dough in half. With a rolling pin, roll one half of the dough into a rectangular shape. Spread dough evenly with 4 tablespoons of softened butter. Sprinkle dough with 1/4 cup brown sugar. In a medium bowl, carefully stir together the frozen raspberries, granulated sugar, lemon zest, and cornstarch. Sprinkle half of the raspberry mixture over the dough.
6. Gently roll up dough into one long roll. Cut rolls, using a piece of dental floss or thread, about two inches thick. Place rolls into a greased 9X13 baking pan.
7. Now follow the exact same steps with the other half of the dough, using the remaining ingredients.
8. Place rolls in a warm spot and cover with a towel. Let rolls rise until double in bulk, about an hour. Bake rolls at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 5-7 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove pans from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
9. While the rolls are cooling, make the frosting. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and lemon zest. Using electric mixer, beat until smooth. Spread frosting on rolls and serve.

When I got up this morning Kevin's foot was swollen again and hot again.  I'm telling you.  The man is stressing me out. So I was home again with him.  Long story short.  The swelling is down some, and we are watching it.  I got to the stressed point that I found myself scrubbing toilets.  No joke!  I usually never do that.  Especially not toilets.  Toilets are last on my cleaning to do list always!  Usually if I resort to cleaning, it's dishes or something.  Clearly I wasn't in my right mind.  Lol!  
 
I think the hardest part of dealing with Kevin's spinal cord injury has been dealing with other people's rude comments.  People who have absolutely no idea what it's like, and think it's okay to make dumb statements.  Don't they realize how hurtful their comments can be?  No one actually knows how life changing this has been.  Everyone assumes Kevin isn't suffering and spends his days up and about.  That isn't the case!  He is in constant pain and spends 80-90% of his day in bed suffering, depending on the severity.  No joke!  Then there is the toll this has taken on the rest of our family.  My kids and I are affected.  This has changed our lives and how deal with things.  Our doctor's get it.  Thank goodness!  I think it finally hit me when I was filling out the paperwork with the doctor and they put it in writing that Kevin needs 24 hour round the clock care and not having this would be detrimental for him.  No joke!  In black and white.  Then when I presented the paperwork to the group that oversees the disability plan for my company they let me pick the number of days a week.  They also said that if I needed more to call them and they would adjust it if needed.  They said because of the way the doctor filled out the form and after their conversation with the doctor it was obvious that this time was warranted.  So far, I haven't needed to adjust it. Thank goodness. 
 It hasn't been easy.  I need to be here with my husband, and I need to be at work too.  It's so hard!  Be home and miss out on a paycheck or go to work and not be able to deal with all the things Kevin needs day to day or a fall, or an illness, and leave it to who, LEXI?  I don't think so!   There are some things a daughter shouldn't see, deal with, or be subjected to at the age of sixteen from her parent.  Plus, these are also things I shouldn't have to explain to people.  Sometimes I just don't explain and let people make complete fools out of themselves.  I just sit back and watch people make stupid comments.  I know that's mean.  But, what else can I do?  I will admit that sometimes their comments make me cry and are very hurtful.  Other times, I can sit back and laugh and let them slide right off my back like a duck.  I saw a segment on the news about a family that was kicked off an airline because their grandson sneezed a lot while on the flight.  I guess he was suffering from an allergy attack because of something one of the other passengers was wearing or brought with them.  The family was taking a trip to do something on the grandfather's bucket list.  You see, he has cancer and was in a wheelchair.  The entire group of passengers clapped when this little family was kicked off the plane.  Can you believe that?  I was shocked at how mean some people were.  Can you believe the shock of that little boy, knowing it was because of his sneezing that got them booted from the plain?  The little boy must have been about eight years old.  I can totally sympathize with people in situations like this now more than ever.  (honestly, I think I could sympathize with them before Kevin's injury too)  I wish people would just be nice and realize that we (people) are doing the best we can.  No, we aren't perfect at dealing with this.  No, we don't always get it right.  Yes, we are learning as we go.  No, we aren't medically trained. 

If there is anything I have learned since this has happened to my husband is what other people are made of.  That's right.  Other people.  You truly learn which people are your true friends and which people are just surface friends.  You also learn which relationships are worth the effort (degree of difficulty) and which ones are not, and you let go of the ones that are not.  It's been an interesting six months since Kevin's injury.  I call it an injury, but it's more like a medical provider's mistake. 

Wednesday night at about midnight I had a bad fall in my kitchen.  It was about midnight and Kyle got up to get something to eat since he slept through dinner.  I had to move a few things around in the fridge to help him.  Well, the chicken that was thawing must have had a leak in the package because chicken juice (gross!) fell on the floor.  I slipped in it.  (gross again!)  I landed on my right knee and on my left bum.  How I managed to do that, I don't know.  I couldn't even get myself up off the floor it hurt so bad.  All I can remember thinking was please let me be able to get up, please let me be able to get up.  Luckily I managed to get up.  I was crying like a baby and the pain was pretty bad.  Strangely, my knee was not the worst of it.  It was my left bum.  Oh, I couldn't even sit up or sit on the toilet it hurt so bad. 

Thursday I had planned on taking Kyle to work and then come home to get ready for work.  Well, I tried driving him and that about killed me.  So, I stayed home from work.  I tried siting in our recliner with my feet up and the back part pushed back.  That didn't help.  The only way I wasn't in constant pain was laying flat on my back and I hate doing that!  Thankfully nothing was broken.  It's Saturday now and I am still hurting.  I think I either hit my head somehow or at least jarred it because I have a constant headache too.  I'm not sure what that's all about.  Jokingly, Kevin offered to share his pain meds with me, but I refused.  I hate the way those things make me feel and those things are so strong they would probably knock me out for days!  Plus, there are prescription and he can't be doing that!  Not after the last fiasco we had with his medications.  No way, no how!  I've been sticking with Tylenol and Aleve.  They don't take away all of the pain.  I could have had our doctor prescribe more Meloxicam.  That stuff is amazing!  But I didn't push it.  I will be back to my old self soon, I'm sure.

We received a letter from our missionary sometime today.  I didn't check my email until this afternoon.  Here is what he had to say...
 
Hey Everyone,
 
Well, the iPad I officially broken.  They said that it was a hardware issue at the Apple Store.  They handed me a brand new iPad and said it's a good thing it's insured still....I didn't take the iPad because I can't.  The church knows I would probably have too much fun with it.  LOL!  This Friday I will get a new one from the mission office as a short t m replacement but after a little bit, I will get a new iPad.  With Maas360...AKA, the watch dog HA HA, I have to wait. 
 
This week was good one.  We had some awesome lessons with some people.  One is that media referral I think I told you about who asked for a Bible and a Book of Mormon.  We talked about the Plan of Salvation with him and he loved it!  He told us that he was going through a divorce and it's been a hard time for him and that we were able to bring a lot of peace to him.  It's really weird, I've noticed lately that a lot of people have been thinking that Elder Nutall and I are a lot older than we are and treating us that way too.  Everyone in the Ward keeps trying to have us refer to them by their first name which we shouldn't do as missionaries.  It feels weird in general to me. 
 
Anyways, I have to go.  We are going to be helping the youth with this really cool activity where they practice teaching "Missionary lessons" to their friends.  It's gonna be awesome.  I will talk to you all later.  Bye!
 
Love,
 
Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad

 


Take care friends and we will talk again soon.  

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...