Friday, February 5, 2016

Super Saturday...Super Busy...It's all good!!!

I went to bed last night fully intending to wake up this morning to run off the DI to get there when their doors opened.  Well,  that didn't happen.  In fact, I didn't get out of bed until about eleven.  This cold/flu or whatever this is has kicked my butt!  I didn't even go to pick up groceries this morning either.   Later today, Kyle dragged me out to Target.  The Target by Fiesta Mall, so I made him swing by DI too.  I managed to find some nice huge bunch of ivy and a huge bunch of flowers too.  The bunch of flowers were $3, and the bunch of ivy was $3 too!  Not bad right???....and they filled half of the trunk of my car!  My kind of price!  We will continue to visit there several more times until the wedding.  The flowers we found are bright orange.  Not exactly the color we want for the wedding, but a can of hot pink or a darker pink spray paint will fix that.  I've spray painted silk flowers several times before so I know this will work out great!  

Here are the photos....
The Ivy.
The Ivy is actually a wicker planter consisting of about 5-6 smaller plant stems.  

And the flowers.
There must be at least 30 stems of poppies.  I can't wait to get my hands on some hot pink spray paint for these babies.  You should see my front room.  It's getting a little out of control with things piled up for the wedding.  I need to invest in a few large plastic totes with snap on lids next week.  Anything to contain everything and keep it free of dust too.  Honestly.  By the time the wedding comes around I'm just going to call some movers because I have stuff everywhere!  We might be having one heck of a yard sale when everything is said and done depending on what Danielle wants to keep and what she wants to get rid of.  It's been fun collecting things though!  😊
The one thing I've been struggling with is the menu for the reception.  We of course will serve cake and a few veggies too.  At first the bride wanted me to make brisket to serve as sandwiches, but Kevin thought that might be a bit messy.  Then I talked to our Bishop's wife and she said their daughter's reception food was picnic style.  I thought that was a great idea!  I even suggested that we make the same ham sandwiches my sister-in-law served at our niece Stephanie's reception.  They were so good!  Danielle's fiancé LOVES those sandwiches and is a huge fan of ham so he just might get his way.  I'm still torn.  I like the idea of the brisket, but that's a lot of meat to cook, and it will just come down to price.  It's as simple as that!  

At first I thought it would be cool to make something like empanadas filled with smoked bbq brisket or some kind of chicken.  In case you didn't know, this is what an empanada looks like....

You can fill them with just about anything.  For that matter, we could make taco empanadas.  I found a recipe where you put a spoonful of retried beans down, then taco seasoned ground beef and some cheese, and you either bake or fry them.  We could do a chicken version to give a little variety.  Then serve veggies, chips and sauce, and something else to go with.  I still need to finalize everything with the bride and the groom.  I'm still sold on the ham sandwiches because they can be made ahead of time and then warmed up just before serving.  You put a sauce over them and then warm them up before serving.  They are so yummy!!!  We will see what the bride wants to do.  That last week is going to be a busy one.  Thank goodness I have lots of people who have offered to help and offered up their fridge space too if we need it.  Thank you, thank you!  

Tomorrow is Super Bowl Sunday.  Frankly, I could care less.  My husband and son will watch the game, but Lexi and I will probably just watch a movie or something.  I made Kyle run to the store with me tonight to pick up a couple things so we don't shop on Sunday.  I'm determined to make it to church tomorrow!  We've gotta go!  I feel like we are missing so much.  I hate that feeling.  

Danielle just sent me a message.  She managed to hit a thrift store close to their home too.  She sent me 4 photos full of things she picked up.  She said she only spent $25 on everything.  I still have her beat.  I only spent $9.  We picked up an old church book too.  An old copy of The Articles of Faith.  I want to find an old worn copy of The Book of Mormon.  Kyle said he had an old copy.  Maybe he will let me use his.  I just want to display it somewhere.  Nothing more. 

We did get a letter from our missionary I haven't  posted yet.  Here it is...


Hey Everyone,
This week was good.  It's getting warmer here.  Its so weird.  

Our referral didn't work out, but we got another one from some missionaries in Texas.   He seems really cool.  We also started working with a new less active member who stopped going to church for about a year and has had a recent change of heart.   Recently, a couple we have been working with to help them get to the Temple, split up.   They are staying married but they are living in different houses.  It's really weird.   We get half of the story and the Sister missionaries get the other half.  The husband told us that he has had some vices in the past, drinking and smoking, and now that they have split he has really been trying hard to get rid of those things.  He said that this time apart was kind of an answer to his prayers because he has been wanting to be closer to his wife and this time apart has shown him just how much he wanted her.  It was really cool.  He says he hasn't has cigarettes or alcohol in over a month and he says that it isn't even hard now, because anytime he gets a little urge he goes and listens to conference talks or reads his scriptures and prays.   It was really cool to hear him testify (he's normally VERY quiet).  I'm really excited to hear about when they go to the Temple.   

Today was fun.  Our roommates walked in with a fuseball table that they found on the street.  That should be fun!  We also got a dart board!!  We're trying to find whatever else we can get to make a game room.  LOL!!!  Just kidding!  Anyways, how are all of you?

Here is a photo of my "healthy" snack....see, nothing's changed.  I'm still the same old Curtis.  


Love,
Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad

It's getting late.  It's been a good day.  I'm still slow to get moving in the mornings, but I'm finally starting to feel better.  Thank goodness!  I started taking a vitamin B-12 myself with Kevin.  I'm starting to see ridges in my fingernails and I read somewhere that that could be a sign that you are deficient in B-12.  It will take a month or two to notice an improvement in my fingernails, but I notice my energy level has perked right up and that's always a good thing.  
Well, my friends....thank you for letting me ramble on today.  I promise all of my posts won't be just about our upcoming reception.  I will include a few other fun things, just give me a little time.  Take care my friends and we will talk soon.

Danielle just sent me a few shots of the photos they had taken the other day!  OH MY GOSH!!!!  So pretty!!!  I can't wait to see all of them!!!

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...