So, this happened this afternoon...
My dear friend Bev made a surprise visit and dropped these off today. I took a nap this afternoon (I guess the hotter weather made me sleepy or something) and found these later on our front porch.She is such a sweetheart and always shares these amazing cards. She always has these cute rhymes every time she shares. I have saved every card she has given me too. Anyway, I can't tell you how much this brightened my day and put a smile on my face too. Wow!
- 2¼ cups sifted cake flour (sifted, then measured)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup full fat buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 tbs red food coloring (one bottle)
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
16 oz sour cream
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift sifted flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.
- Blend the buttermilk, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla in another bowl .
- Beat the sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well blended after each addition.
- Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk mixture in 2 additions.
- Put about ¼ inch of cake batter in the bottom of a greased and floured 10 inch springform.
- Use the rest of the batter in a 13x9 or 9 inch cake pan.
- Bake both pans for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans about 5 minutes and turn out to cool completely.
- Break the larger cake (NOT the one in the springform) into large chunks and set aside.
- (can be done a day ahead)
- Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Beat the cheesecake ingredients together until smooth.
- Reserve about ½ cup cake crumbs for the top.
- Fold the remaining cake chunks into cheesecake batter.
- Pour into pan.
- Cover the bottom of the spring form (the one with the cake layer in it) with aluminum foil, bringing it up the sides.
- Place pan in larger pan of hot water. Water should come halfway up the sides.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn oven off and leave door closed for 1 hour. Don’t PEEK!
- Remove from oven.
- Let come to room temperature and cover tightly.
- Refrigerate over night.
Serving size: Carbs: 56 Calories: 603 Fat: 37
These past two days UPS and FedEX have been frequent visitors to my door. The bride has always used our address as her base for anything she needs shipped to her. So she has been been doing what she always does and shipped a few things to us. Thursday we received Lexi's bridesmaid dress. A silk shawl. Glass beads and a box of moss. She wanted to see how much moss came in the box before she ordered more.
Then yesterday we received two boxes of birch poles, a huge roll of this privacy screen stuff, and three boxes of tablecloths.
When I got home I could barely get through the front door because Lexi had put all the boxes just inside the house. Holy cow! The girl "the bride" is going nutso-crazy!!!
Today I guess a few more things are scheduled to arrive too. The bride said its going to be like this for a while as thinks trickle in. I can handle this kind of thing for a while, but eventually my house is going to be over run with cardboard alone. Yikes!!!