Sunday, February 14, 2016

Happy Valentine's Day!

It's 4 a.m. and I am awake sitting in the driver's seat of my car waiting for Kyle.  He's running late again which means I get to miss out on more sleep.  I'm not thrilled about that, but we are "dealing" with that.  I am surprised at the number of people out walking around at this hour though.  Where the heck are they even going?  To or from work?  Or is this their so called "walk of shame"?  I don't think I will ever really find out the answer to the question because I'm certainly not going to ask.  You would think I would feel pretty safe parked in the parking lot at a police station, but I really don't.  It's quiet  and there are just a handful of cars here.  The only activity comes from the police officers racing in to park their cars or leaving to get home after their 12 hour shift.  Not a bad gig!  3 twelve hour days!  That would be wonderful, I think.  Just sayin.  

It seems as if things have calmed down a bit at our house finally!  No more out of control doctor's appointments or pharmacy mistakes again.  Here is hoping things will stay that way for a bit.  
I need a break.  

This weekend is a three day weekend for us and even though we have an extra day off, I don't know that we have any major plans to do anything special.  Tomorrow is Valentine's Day but we don't have anything big planned.  Maybe a treat or something, but that's about it.  Other than mowing the lawn, washing the car, and cleaning around the house that's all I have planned.  We will make a quick visit to my other SIL's house sometime to talk about things she has that we can borrow for the reception.  She has a few things that it just makes sense to borrow instead of buying.  Know what I mean??

So, this happened this afternoon...



My dear friend Bev made a surprise visit and dropped these off today.  I took a nap this afternoon (I guess the hotter weather made me sleepy or something) and found these later on our front porch.  
She is such a sweetheart and always shares these amazing cards.  She always has these cute rhymes every time she shares.  I have saved every card she has given me too.  Anyway, I can't tell you how much this brightened my day and put a smile on my face too.  Wow!  
It's been a little counter productive lately.  As we move things out and get rid of things, and make positive steps forward to an uncluttered lifestyle, we turn around and bring in all this stuff for the wedding.  It's becoming a vicious cycle.  One that thankfully will be over in a month or two.  I don't think I could survive this if it went on much longer....not to mention the rest of my family.  I use to laugh (not really laugh because I thought it was funny, but laugh because I couldn't believe the wedding had taken over so much space) at those families that had their entire living room covered in various things for a wedding and now I am one of those people.  LOL! 
 
 
 
 
Red Velvet Cheesecake Recipe
Ingredients
Red Velvet Cake
  • 2¼ cups sifted cake flour (sifted, then measured)
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup full fat buttermilk, room temperature
  • 2 tbs red food coloring (one bottle)
  • 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1½ cups sugar
  • ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
Cheesecake
32 oz cream cheese
16 oz sour cream
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla
6 eggs

Instructions
Cake
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Sift sifted flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.
  3. Blend the buttermilk, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla in another bowl .
  4. Beat the sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy.
  5. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well blended after each addition.
  6. Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk mixture in 2 additions.
  7. Put about ¼ inch of cake batter in the bottom of a greased and floured 10 inch springform.
  8. Use the rest of the batter in a 13x9 or 9 inch cake pan.
  9. Bake both pans for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  10. Cool in pans about 5 minutes and turn out to cool completely.
  11. Break the larger cake (NOT the one in the springform) into large chunks and set aside.
  12. (can be done a day ahead)
  13. Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cheesecake
  1. Preheat oven to 375F
  2. Beat the cheesecake ingredients together until smooth.
  3. Reserve about ½ cup cake crumbs for the top.
  4. Fold the remaining cake chunks into cheesecake batter.
  5. Pour into pan.
  6. Cover the bottom of the spring form (the one with the cake layer in it) with aluminum foil, bringing it up the sides.
  7. Place pan in larger pan of hot water. Water should come halfway up the sides.
  8. Bake for 45 minutes.
  9. Turn oven off and leave door closed for 1 hour. Don’t PEEK!
  10. Remove from oven.
  11. Let come to room temperature and cover tightly.
  12. Refrigerate over night.

Nutrition Information
Serving size: Carbs: 56 Calories: 603 Fat: 37

3.4.3174



These past two days UPS and FedEX have been frequent visitors to my door.  The bride has always used our address as her base for anything she needs shipped to her.  So she has been been doing what she always does and shipped a few things to us.  Thursday we received Lexi's bridesmaid dress.  A silk shawl.  Glass beads and a box of moss.  She wanted to see how much moss came in the box before she ordered more.  

Then yesterday we received two boxes of birch poles, a huge roll of this privacy screen stuff, and three boxes of tablecloths.

 


  When I got home I could barely get through the front door because Lexi had put all the boxes just inside the house.  Holy cow!  The girl "the bride" is going nutso-crazy!!!

Today I guess a few more things are scheduled to arrive too.  The bride said its going to be like this for a while as thinks trickle in.  I can handle this kind of thing for a while, but eventually my house is going to be over run with cardboard alone.  Yikes!!!  

The bride came over to my house last night so we could finalize a few things and hit a few places for some things we needed.  Believe it or not, Deseret Industries has been the best place for unused, still in the package to find silk Ivy in bush form or Garland form.  Who knew?  I never would have believed it until a friend pointed me in that direction a few weeks ago.  We scored big time last night.  We found two of these lantern looking things.  We plan to paint them black.  They are super cool!

After DI, we ran to Ross because the bride had spotted a long white dress she thought would be perfect for a temple dress and it was only $35.  She didn't purchase it when she saw it because she wasn't sure.  She needed her Mom to check it out to be sure.  Frankly, I think she should have just bought it and then I could have checked it out after.  It could have been returned if it didn't work.  So, we are still searching for her actual temple dress.  She likes some she has seen online, but none of them are in stock and they are over $100 each.  We know if she purchases her temple clothing from the distribution center that they will give her a 50% discount because she is buying them for the first time, but we are still looking for a way to cut that expense a little more.  I'm sure we will find something soon.  Spring is coming and there will be other dresses in the stores that might work.  Time will tell. We did manage to find this sweet galvanized watering can that she picked up.  
After our trip to Ross we decided to stop to Wal-mart.  Not exactly where you would expect a bride to look for flowers for a wedding exactly, but you would be surprised what we found!  Some of the Wal-marts have a limited selection of things, but one in particular actually had all kinds of things in the weddings colors.  So we picked a few things up.  The bride even found ribbon to use for the bridesmaids dresses.  

When we done wandering around the craft department we took a stroll through the garden department.  We scored big time!!!  We found these awesome off-white metal garden trellis pieces that we are going to attach together with zip ties to form a screen.  Each section is two feet wide and probably five feet tall.  She bought four of these.  
I told Danielle that after I brought everything in from the car last night and put it on the "wedding pile" in my living room I can't see out my front window anymore.  Take a look!  Wedding has seriously taken over!!!!

And...

 
There are two five foot long benches stacked one on top of the other underneath all of this.  It's not all boxes and bags.  It's hollow underneath.  Promise!!!  See....


I know.  I know.....It looks like an episode of Hoarders or something!  I need to unpackage things and pick up some of those Rubbermaid totes to put everything in so it all stays nice.  We might do that tonight.  

My Brother and his wife stopped by today.  A few months back my SIL was selling her Cricut Machine.  (She had the big one!). Well, my Dad bought it for me, which was very nice of him.  Well, long story short, there is a disk that goes with the machine that allows you to pull any image off the Internet and cut it out using the machine.  So we are going to attempt to cut out a particular image (No, I can't tell you what image) for the wedding.  If we can do this it will save us a ton of money and give us the results we are looking for.  Wish us luck.  

Our neighbor happens to have a few wood stumps.  Big ones like these...
Or this...

I wish I could find a photo like the other one.  It looks like they cut the tree right at ground level so you see the root branch pieces.  I can't wait to use that one!!!!  

I did a little rearranging this afternoon.  It still looks like a big pile of junk, but a little more organized now.  Take a look...

Here is tote one of flowers so far...

The tote is jammed packed!  The bride has been a busy girl, hasn't she????

When we were done last night at Wal-Mart we stopped by our local dollar store.  Danielle wants lots and lots of flowers everywhere. There is one place it won't matter if the flowers are cheaper.  So, the bride picked up a cart full!  Holy cow!  She took all of those flowers to her house.  I have totes and bags of flowers stored in my bedroom closet that we haven't even pulled out yet.  The bride has tons and tons of things at her house too.  I was talking to my Mom today and she asked me if I knew the dimensions of the place for the reception.  She thinks we might be the first family to fill up the place in the history of all LDS weddings.  I seriously doubt that!  The stake center cultural halls are very big!  It has a full size basketball court which measures 94 feet by 50 feet.  This is not a small room by any means.  Keep in mind, that's just the court itself.  There are a few feet on all four sides so people can walk around the court while a game is being played.  It's a huge space! 

I did manage to get one piece of our wedding projects done today.  I finished putting the crystal beads on the bottom of our chandelier lampshade.  I can't wait for the other beads to come in so I can finish the sides.  Now to get going on all the others too.  It's a process that thankfully will end very soon.  ~smile~smile~
Nothing new from the Curtis yet.  More next week I'm sure.

His friend Jose went through the temple earlier today.  We are so excited to see Jose leave on his mission.  He is such a great young man.  I know it's been hard watching all of his friends leave first while he worked so hard just to get his papers in.  I just think the Lord needed more time to prepare those people to be ready to be taught by the spirit as Jose is used as an instrument in the Lord's hands.  It's always so amazing to watch as things like this happen in people's lives.  How the Lord manages to do all that he does for each and every person on this earth is one thing I cannot wait to understand and know how He does it.  So awesome!  Even though Jose has had to wait a little longer for his mission, I bet he will be the one to have the most amazing experiences to share when he comes home and I'm sure those experience will help to shape Jose into an amazing missionary too.  I can't wait to hear him speak at his homecoming in two years.  Enjoy every minute of this next two years Jose!  

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...