Sunday, February 28, 2016

A New Week, A Few To Do's, and Lots of Photos

Yesterday my neighbor, who happens to be my Relief Society President, told me that our Bishop was concerned about me because of my fall.  I guess he said I've fallen a lot over the past several months.  Which is true!  I fell in the shower.  I fell in a QT Store.  And this past week I fell in my kitchen.  The shower was me getting light headed.  The QT store was me slipping wearing high heels.  The recent fall was me slipping on something slippery that fell on my kitchen floor.  I am grateful everyone is concerned and cares about me.  It means a lot.  Fall update:  it still hurts to sit in a chair and my shoulder and knee still hurt too.  I don't recall hitting my shoulder or head, but I did land kind of right inside the door of my fridge, so it's possible.  It's just going to take time to fully snap back from this one.  Thank you everyone for your kind works, care and concern, and offers to help run errands, bring in meals, or anything I need.  It means more than words can say.  It's so nice to know that if I need anything my neighbors and friends will be there for me.
 
This morning I woke up to find my husband's wheelchair in the hallway but my husband wasn't in it and wasn't anywhere around it.  I'll admit I was afraid of what I'd find around the corner.  I thought for sure I'd find my husband on the ground in a heap somewhere.  To my surprise he was in bed on his side watching TV.  He said he put the wheelchair in the hallway.  I guess while I was sleeping he decided to try and walk with his walker to the wheelchair in the hallway.  I am grateful my husband felt strong enough to do his exercises and that he didn't fall.  This is a good sign.  My husband said he is hurting now but at least his spirits are up!  This is a good thing.  Kevin hasn't felt much like doing this so this due to pain and weakness, so this was a huge surprise!  Huge!!  It's like Christmas all over again.  I get so excited and I'm so grateful!  Love that man!  
 
Danielle wasn't very happy with me yesterday for posting the FaceTime photo of her.  I told her it was the cutest one.  She still didn't like it and threatened to post a few of me.  I begged and begged her not to post them.  Hopefully she will refrain from sharing them, but she did happen to have the one of Lexi with the bright pink lipstick all over her face.  Take a look.  
 
 

I'm only posting a portion of the photo not the whole thing, but you get the idea.  Her entire face was covered.  Crazy girl!  

Speaking of pictures.  I mentioned that Danielle brought over a few things for the wedding.  Her entire car was filled with stuff and she's still got a couple car loads to bring.  Here is what she brought yesterday.  

Two big totes full of flowers and one small full of flowers, decorative lights, picks, and other odds and ends.




10 boxes of globe lights that are 30 feet long with 50 bulbs each.  Along with 4 topiary jars, and behind the lights are 3 wooden signs. 

 
She also brought her giant letters.  The D and C are three feet tall each.  
 

Then she had three light up signs.  Two hearts and this love sign. 


Like I said before, she and I have been collecting things since well before she moved out of our home.  My family thought I was completely nuts, but it's paying off big time right now.  So, Danielle took my advice and has been picking up things that she finds on sale, on Facebook groups, and anywhere else she comes across something she likes.  I did it too.  Although not so much over the past year.  All of the things I have are things I've had for a long time.  More to come as we get closer and get back on track with the planning.  I'm still moving slow from my fall.  Although, I did manage to paint all the big letters and four of the letters to spell out the last name last night.  Take a look.
 

The shepherd's hooks in the background just got a coat of spray paint too.  I've had these hooks for years but the last time I used them was for Kyle's missionary homecoming.  I only have nine of them and they have needed a coat of paint for a while now.   I just couldn't decide on a color until now.  To use them down my walkway I really need a total of ten or twelve, so I have been saving them.  I believe I found them at Deseret Industries years ago.  They will be perfect for outside our church building since you can only decorate on one side of the doors because there is a brick wall on the other side.  An odd number of hooks won't really matter there.  We picked the right church building.  ~smile~smile~

Here are the last name letters.  They are pretty long.  I'm hoping the two fence pieces my sister in law has will be long enough so we don't have to go find another.  If not, we'll figure something out.  I'm liking the letters.  We may decide to dress up the letters a little more with some kind of patterns like plaid or dots or a chevron pattern just to jazz them up a bit, but we are still trying to decide.  Once we do decide and get them finished we will add a clear coat of varnish to seal them.  


Notice that only the D and the S are not painted.  The S belongs in my living room and I don't want it painted.  The D is something Danielle bought.  The unpainted letters just happen to be the brides current initials.  This wasn't even something we planned.  It just happened that was.  I thought that was interesting.  

(Please excuse my messy floors.  I'm not able to mop yet.)
 
As for my monthly theme.  I'm still on the mend and not doing much organizing yet.  My only theme covered lately has been showing the love for my family by keeping them fed and taking care of those kinds of things.  Last night was the first time I've felt like doing anything other than that in a while.  Besides painting took my mind off my aching body for a bit too.  

A friend shared this and it cheered me up, and I thought it would be good to share it with you too.  


I saved this to my Phone so I can look back at it from time to time, so feel free to do the same if you are so inclined.  

I shared this recipe here on my blog about two years ago.  It's been at least 10 years since Kevin and I were introduced to these at my Niece's wedding reception.  This is the recipe we plan to make for the reception.  The bride wanted me to make brisket or some kind of chicken, but that would be really expensive and take a lot of time.  Plus her father thought it would be super messy.  So, when I suggested these sandwiches the groom was thrilled!  He loves these little sandwiches as much as Kevin and I do.  I think the bride just wanted something different which I do understand, but these can be prepared ahead of time and glazed just after we get back from the temple and then just warmed up.  No intense cooking involved.  So, unless we can come up with something different that's just as easy to prepare I think this will be our choice.  Trust me.  They are awesome!!!

Ham & Cheese Party Sandwich Recipe 


Ingredients:
3/4 cup melted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
24 Hawaiian Rolls
1 pound thinly sliced cooked deli ham
1 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).  Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish
2.  In a bowl, mix together butter, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, poppy seeds, and dried onion.  Separate the tops from the bottoms of the rolls, and place the bottom pieces into the prepared baking dish.  Layer about half the ham onto the rolls.  Arrange the Swiss cheese over the ham, and top with remaining ham slices in a layer.  Place the tops of the rolls onto the sandwiches.  Pour the mustard mixture over the rolls.
3.  Bake in the preheated oven until the rolls are lightly browned and the cheese has melted, about 20 minutes.  Slice into individual rolls through the ham and cheese layers to serve.
I spent a little time on Checking out a few Facebook groups I belong to yesterday and found a few things.  Nothing to buy, just some design inspiration is all.  Now I want to paint my living room walls a nice shade of grey.  This is what I found.

And

 
 
And
 
 
And lastly...

I'm loving all the white against the grey walls.  I have always loved the Shabby Chic style, just not everything all white.  I need color.  I think the main reason I like this, is because of the grey walls.  It makes me want to paint all my picture frames that creamy white color.  And all my accessories too.  Who knows, I just might do it!!!  I can't get side tracked right now.  I have so much to do.  I'm putting most of everything for the wedding off until my sabbatical but not on purpose.  It's just worked out that way.   
Here is my to do list so far...
1) Sew the banners
2) Finish the chandelier lampshade (once the beads arrive)
3) Wash all the fabric print table cloths.
4) figure out all the lights over the dance floor area
5) Build the canopy over the cake table.
6) paint the bed frame
7) paint the bistro table set
8) do all bridal party flowers
9) centerpieces and other table decorations
10) make cupcakes
11) make the cake topper
12) make or prepare all food
13) find a container to make drink in.
14) go with Danielle to the doctor
15) go with Danielle to get temple clothing
16) help Danielle decide on a Vail
17) make sure the bride and groom get marriage license
18) get photos printed for invites
19) get paper for invites
20) print invites
21) cut out invites
22) put together invites
23) address invites
24) mail invites
25) go to bridal shower
26) help Lexi accessorize her dress for the wedding
27) clothing for Kevin
28) clothing for Kyle
29) decide on what to wear to the temple for myself
30) shoes for reception for me - nothing high 
31) a shrug or shawl for me for outfit for reception
32) something like bubbles or sparklers to send the couple off
33) get photos blown up for walls at church
34) make up lights
35) curtains for behind doors
36) arrange for transport of the couch our friend is letting us borrow
37) paint lawn furniture
38) get fabric for banner 
39) get Danielle over to friends house to check out things she has 
40) get together with Shaun on the canopy 
41) pick up stumps from neighbor
42) moss
43) visit florist 
44) pick up doilies
45) C clamps
46) zip ties
47) duct tape
48) pipe cleaners
49) T- pins
50) corsage pins
51) ribbon
52) fix large gold picture frame
53) slip for Lexi
54) undershirt for Lexi
55) check on building keys and schedule
56) get to Temple with Danielle for endowments 
57) get to Temple with Chance for endowments
58) doctors appointments with Kevin for medications, fill out paperwork, and determine if traveling a possibility.
59) plan trip if doc says okay
60) get video together for reception

And these are just the things I can remember.  There is so much more I'm sure.  I've got to start writing all of this down.  I added a new app to my phone just for things like this.  It's called Evernote.  It's designed to keep all of your notes, lists, and things categorized and catalogued so you can find them quickly.  I also added a scheduling app called Cozi to help keep track of everyone schedule.  Don't get me wrong.  We aren't as busy as some families seem to be.  This just helps me stay on track especially during those moments when I'm stressed out and not thinking clearly.  Plus with Danielle and Kyle's ever changing schedules.....Danielle's hours keep changing and Kyle has his regular schedule with a few training sessions tossed in too.  This way if I need someones help I can check to see who might be available in a crisis.  I've also scheduled things like mutual for Lexi and daily homework checks. It helps.  

I've also added the Mesa Police App to my phone.  This way I can be aware of issues in my area.  A friend at church told me about it.  Her husband is an officer and she said the app helps her to not worry so much about her hubby.  She is such a sweetheart!  All three of these apps have made my life a little less stressful.  You should check them out. 

Did you watch the Oscar's?  I turned it on for about 1/2 an hour and then turned it off half way through.  I wasn't amused.  Chris Rock is funny and he makes me laugh a lot, but in my opinion he just wasn't the right fit for the Oscar's.  I think it's his voice.  Tyler Perry or Denzel Washington would have been a better pick.  Although Chris Rock hosting the Oscar's was not my reason for turning them off.  It was just boring to me.  No other reason.  What did you think?
Curtis sent us a quick message to tell us a few things. 
1) He got a temporary replacement for his iPad with a brand new one coming.

2) He needs new garments.  Apparently he washed several pairs with a ballpoint pen and they have gone through the dryer.  So the stain has set in.  

3) Well.  Here is that conversation.  
 
One of our sons good friends spoke in Sacrament today.  We missed it because I can't sit that long yet. We are so excited for this young man!!!  So excited!  When I found this quote about missionaries sacrificing to serve I couldn't help but think of my son and this friend.  Both wanted more than anything to serve a mission, but both had some obstacles to get through.  These young men could have given up and changed their minds because of the difficulties they faced just trying to get out the door, but they didn't.  They were determined and now they are serving.  I'm so proud of both of them, especially the friend for never giving up and working so very hard.  I know they will be blessed for their determination, perseverance, and patience.  I admire both of them.  

Forget Yourself and Go
There may be a few young men who may be wondering, ever so seriously, whether they should go on missions. There may be a scarcity of money. There may be compelling plans for education. There may be that wonderful girl you love and feel you cannot leave. You say to yourself, “The choice is mine.”
That is true. But before you make a decision against a mission, count your blessings, my dear friend. Think of all the great and marvelous things you have—your very life, your health, your parents, your home, the girl you love. Are they not all gifts from a generous Heavenly Father? Did you really earn them alone, independent of His blessing? No, the lives of all of us are in His hands. All of the precious things that are ours come from Him who is the giver of every good gift.
I am not suggesting that He will withdraw His blessings and leave you bereft if you do not go on a mission. But I am saying that out of a spirit of appreciation and gratitude, and a sense of duty, you ought to make whatever adjustment is necessary to give a little of your time consecrating your strength, your means, your talents to the work of sharing with others the gospel, which is the source of so much of the good that you have.
I promise that if you will do so, you will come to know that what appears today to be a sacrifice will prove instead to be the greatest investment that you will ever make.
Let there be no hesitancy in your decision. Live worthy of a call, and respond without hesitation when that call comes. Go forth with a spirit of dedication, placing yourself in the hands of the Lord to do His great work.
---By:  Gordon B Hinckley
Take care friends and we'll talk again soon!!!
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...