Thursday, January 14, 2016

Bring on the Weekend!!

Two Things I am Grateful For:
1). Little "tips" I receive along the way.  It's amazing to me how I can see something and then weeks late have a situation come up that I can use that bit of information.  Inspirational insight is what I call that.  
2). Tender mercies!  Thank you!
From the Camera:
Look at that husband of mine!  This photo was taken a few years ago.  When we were all blissfully unaware about a life with a spinal cord injury.  There's so much we would have done differently if we only knew what was ahead.  😊.  It's all good.  We have learned a lot, grown a lot, and met a lot of amazing people.  

From the Craft Room & Other Things I Love:
Isn't this cute!!!  Love it.  

From the Heart & Spirit:
From the Kitchen:

Pecan Pie Cheesecake
For the Crust:
  • 1¾ cups vanilla wafer crumbs
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ⅓ cup unsalted butter-melted
For the Pecan Filling:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ⅔ cup dark corn syrup
  • ⅓ cup unsalted butter- melted
  • 2 large eggs-lightly beaten
  • 1½ cups pecans-chopped
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cheesecake Filling:
  • 24 ounce cream cheese-softened
  • 1¼ cups light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 4 large eggs
  • ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Topping:
  • 3.5 tablespoon unsalted butter-melted
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 cup toasted pecans-chopped
To make the Crust:
  1. Line the bottom of 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Combine vanilla wafer crumbs and brown sugar, stir in melted butter, then press the mixture evenly into bottom and halfway up the side of 9 inch springform pan. Set in the fridge to firm the crust while making the filling.
To make the Pecan Filling:
  1. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, eggs, pecans and vanilla and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer stirring constantly until thickened, 5-7 minutes. Pour into prepared crust and set aside.
To make the Cheesecake Filing:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Beat the cream cheese until creamy, then add brown sugar and flour and beat until fluffy.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined after each addition. Do not overbeat it!!! Stir in heavy cream and vanilla, then pour cheesecake mixture over pecan filling.
  4. Place springform pan on a cookie sheet, put it in the oven and reduce the heat to 325 F Bake the cake for 60-70 minutes (until toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean). Turn off the oven and leave cheesecake in with oven door closed for 1 hour.
  5. Run a knife around edges of cheesecake but don’t take out of the pan until completely cooled.
To make the topping:
  1. In a small saucepan combine butter and brown sugar. Cook for 3-5 min or until very bubbly, then stir in cinnamon, heavy whipping cream and chopped pecans. Cool to room temperature.
  2. Release the sides of springform pan and spoon the topping over cooled cheesecake.
  3. Store the cake in the fridge. 
From the Schmidt's:
Can you say stressed?  It's been a rough couple of days to say the least.  Things seem to be getting easier tonight, thank goodness.  We will see how things go through the night and go from there. 

It's time for more doctors appointments.    Kevin needs one and so do I.  Let the fun begin.  It's all good.  I'd much rather do doctors appointments than deal with emergency admits to the hospital.  Less stressful for everyone.  

Today Lexi was trying to let the dog out back and the door knob fell completely off!  The metal actually ripped from rest of the handle.  No kidding!  So we replaced that.  Then, I broke the handle on the toilet.  This has happened several times in the past.  So, Kyle will have to help fix that.  There seems to be a handle or knob theme going on.  Crazy!

Danielle has been a busy girl!  She scored big time the other day.  She found the rest of the letters we were looking for to spell out her soon to be new last name.  All of them are about two feet tall.  We plan to display them at the wedding reception somewhere.  The details are still being worked out, of course.  Then she found four feet tall laters too.  So she grabbed those as well.  She has bought eight foot tall and four foot tall trees too.  All of them will be used around the room at the reception.  She sent me a text of the huge letters she found and one of the eight foot trees.  Take a look...
 We think they are super cool!  Then she bought all the table runners and overlays for all the tables.  Some of those should arrive next week.  The runners she found locally.  She went and had her dress fitted.  It sounds like the alterations are not going to be a tedious as we expected them to be after all.  Which is awesome!!! I wish I could have gone with her to the fitting, but that's not a biggie.  I'll get over that.  I did find the perfect piece last week  for her to wear on top since her dress is sleeveless.  I found it through Macy's website.  Danielle ordered it and she said it arrived today.  She said she thinks the color is perfect.  That makes me super happy!  I love it that she won't have to do anything special to be temple ready.  No reconstructing sleeves.  Yes!!!  Things seem to be coming together for this wedding/reception, which makes us all very happy.  When we first started down this "wedding road" we were all a little overwhelmed.  So this has been a pleasant surprise!  Danielle and Chance have a tentative date to have engagement photos taken.  The photographer is also doing all the wedding photos before and after the wedding.   We have a friend we will meet up with next week sometime to discuss a few plans too.  This friend has been so sweet to offer anything and everything she has to help us.  I just love her, and she absolutely adores Danielle too.  So, we can't wait to get together with this friend.  We have watched her plan and pull off several events over the years and I welcome her input!  I also talked with our good Bishop last night.  We had some questions about what to do with the music.  We got some information about how to handle that, as well as a lead or two on a DJ just in case we decide to go that direction, which was so appreciated!  While we were there we also got a lead on strands of Christmas lights we can use.  Danielle doesn't want to do the whole white dropped ceiling thing for their reception.  Frankly, I'm so glad!  No offense, but, I personally think it makes to room look too white.  Like the TV room from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory....know what I mean???  LOL!  We are going with something different and hopefully less labor intensive, which is right up our alley.  Now to figure out how to address the basketball hoops that cannot move up out of sight in the gym.  We are still deciding on what to do there.  More to come on that later.

All in all, we are further ahead than I thought we would be by now.  Its interesting to me how these things work out.  Danielle and I still feel a little overwhelmed, but it's going to be okay.  We are happy with the progress being made.  These things just take some time especially in between our crazy lives with all of its many twists and turns.    

With everything that has been happening around our house lately everyone but Kyle has been up in the middle of the night.  We let Kyle sleep.  So, I finally got to bed around 3 a.m. and woke up at 5 to find that things were still the same.  Which is never good.  Lexi and I switched off so she could get to bed.  Well, as it turns out, I stayed home today.  I let Lexi sleep most of the morning, but before she fell asleep she decided to make peanutbutter fudge.  She whipped it up, put it in the fridge and went off to bed.  She is becoming quite the cook!  In fact, She also started dinner for me too.  She made chicken for us and put it in the oven about the time Kyle got home around 5:30.  I had a doctor's appointment at 6pm.  The chicken, of course, was done before I got home after 7 so Lexi left it in the oven on warm until I got there.  When I got home we finished cooking the meal and we had dinner on the table by 7:30.  Talk about a late dinner!  It was really good, though!  Lexi did a great job of seasoning the chicken.  It was very tasty!  I didn't try the fudge, though, but Kevin liked it.  

About six months ago I decided to try to learn more about how my Heavenly Father answers my prayers or speaks to me.  At first, I thought that I merely received personal revelation as thoughts or feelings.  But over the past several months I have come to realize that my Heavenly Father reveals the things he wants me to know in so many others ways too.  Ways I cannot speak of simply because they are so special that I do not want to do anything that would take away from that experience or prevent things like this from happening again.  It's been an amazing experience full of many blessings!  
Remember a few posts back when I mentioned that I would be changing the format of my posts?  Well, the time has come.  A change is needed.  Originally when I adopted this format it was to help me simplify things a bit.  I'll still include a lot of the same things, just in a different way.  So, it's out with the old and in with the new!  It will be good.  More to come on this.  

Well, gotta go. Take care and we will talk again soon.
From the Missionary:
Our Missionary use to spend a lot of time at this young man's home before our missionary left.  Well, this young man just received his mission call and we are so excited for him!!!  I think the people in the complex where our mission lives were a little freaked out to hear the shout outs when our Missionary heard the word.  I think Curtis is more excited for his friends call than he was for his own.  LOL!  I'm kidding of course.  We are all excited!! 

We have a Curtis letter......
Hey Everyone,
This week was awesome!  Mostly because of Elder Holland.  It was amazing meeting him.  He had us all go up before he spoke and shake his hand and then he told us about how he does that so that he can have a personal interview with us as he looks into our eyes/SOULS!!!  He told President Smith to be proud because the mission is doing great and that he would know if the mission wasn't doing good because he would be through the roof and we would be crawling out of there.  He is o funny and so in tune with the Spirit.  He said he is going to report about out mission to the rest of the twelve because we recently found over 1000 investigators in the month of December because of the Christmas video initiative.  Which is awesome because new investigators are not just someone you have contacted once, but someone that you have had a second appointment with, which is normally pretty hard in some of these areas.  Anyways, he went on to tell us that missionaries are just a branch of the Seventies and that either we are apostolic or he is a missionary.  Either way, we are the same.  His remarks reminded me of that talk I heard by Elder Bednar in the MTC were he says you are us and we are you because the purpose of a missionary is the same purpose of an apostle.  He also told us that we cannot go back ever, and that WE DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO DIMINISH THE CHARACTER OF A MISSIONARY IN THE EYES OF THE MEMBERS. 
This week was great too because we had a little trouble meeting with
Wxxxxx. His baptismal date is February 13.  We met with a few other
investigators one of them is from Haiti like Wxxxxx.  And he has been
taught previously and he attends our ward but we just found out he
isn't a member along with the rest of the ward haha. We taught the
restoration and it went alright he just has some concerns.   But, afterwards his wife walked out and came back in and handed us two plates and had us sit.  She then walked out with a HUGE bowl of rice and then a bowl of this sauce that looked like baby poop and then another bowl of this meat mixed with some sort of green mush and
vegetables.  So we put some on our plates but then she reached over and
slapped way more onto the plate. I was so scared they started eating
but I managed bow my head to say a silent prayer that I would not die.  haha Elder Nutall and I took our first bites and looked at each other
because this stuff turned out to be so good, but it still kinda sucked
because we had just eaten dinner before this.  Anyways, my week was
a good one. How are you all doing?
Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad

 Quote of the Day: 

  photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...