Saturday, January 23, 2016

Another Saturday Night

This is what I heard when my eyes were closed.  I thought I was dreaming.

I woke up this morning to the sound of running water, and not just a trickle, but pouring water.  Come to find out it was Lexi is the shower.  I could hear the water so well because she left the bathroom door slightly open.  I woke up in a panic searching the house for the source of some kind of leak or something.  Not a good feeling!  Thankfully it was just Lexi showering.  She was up pretty early too. She woke everyone up.  Kyle came out of his room followed by Kevin too.  Everyone was up and out of bed by 8 a.m. on a Saturday.  That never happens!!!  

Kyle and I went out to run a few errands today.  Kevin was doing okay and so we went with the understanding that Lexi would call us if anything changed or happened.  Kyle needed a few things for work like gloves that a knife would not cut through and a smaller flashlight.  The gloves are to wear in the cold and to protect his hands if he has to pull things out of someone's pocket.  We searched a few sports shops but didn't find exactly what he was looking for, so he may check the uniform shop or order them online.  The flashlight he is still searching for the one he wants.  The one the department issued to him is huge.  He wants a good smaller one he can carry in his pocket or on his belt.  I saw Kyle the other day in uniform.  I wish I would have had my camera ready.  Oh well.  He can't wear the uniform at home so we never see him in it.  Especially if he wore his class A uniform, or his coat.  I would also love for my neighbors across the street to see him in uniform too, but that won't ever happen.  Maybe if that were possible, that would stop all the traffic in and out of their home at all hours of the day and night.  So frustrating.  And these aren't even the old neighbors to the one side of this neighbor.  These are new neighbors that bought the house across the street.  The dad had no problem telling us when he moved in that his son was receiving visits from a parole officer.  I was fine with that.  People make mistakes.  But it's the ones that just do not seem to care and keep doing bad things and interrupt my sleep at night that I have issue with.  Manly interrupting the sleep part.  I felt sorry for the kid, the one making bad choices, because his father had no problem telling the world his son had issues.  I for one believe that that father should have waited to tell me about his son, instead of doing it right in front of him, or not at all.  We neighbors are smart, we can figure out when the parole officer comes around.  It's not hard to spot them.  We can also spot the multiple incidents of dealings we see right in front of the house too.  You're not as sneaky as you make yourselves think, neighbor of mine.

  Before we went and ran errands, Kyle went out this morning to go set up his new account at the bank that offer employees all kinds of perks.  He called me about three minutes after he left telling me to lock the front screen because the black car was back across the street and the guys would not get out of their car when they saw him.  I like that my son is overly protective of his family.  Kyle and I have watched their "activities" out our front windows time and time again.  Kevin made me promise to NOT call the police.  He doesn't want the neighbors to retaliate.  We had that happen a few times years ago and we were broken into twice, no, technically three times if you count the time after we moved out of the house.  The last time they trashed the house and spray painted walls and did a lot of damage.  We don't want that again, or worse.  Someone else can file a report.  Then their names are on it.  We aren't doing it.  Believe me, it's not easy for me not to call either, but I'm trying to do what my husband has asked.  (Smile,smile)

Kyle and I came home from our hunt for gloves and flashlights empty handed.  We were home for a bit and then Kyle decided to go look at cars again.  He is anxious to get one, but realistically it's going to be a week or two before that happens.  It will happen soon enough.  Next week he starts a new shift.  This one will be interesting, but at least he will be closer to home.  That makes things easier for me.  No more drives to downtown Phoenix.  At least not for a while.

We received a message from Curtis today.  He sent a photo of his leg showing us the rash he broke out in.  That photo is below.  See the giant raised red areas?!!

Holy cow!!!  We chatted a bit and made sure he still had our insurance card handy just in case.  I asked him if he used Tide or Cheer because those two detergents cause all of us to break out.  Curtis said no, he has been using All like we do at home.  He said another missionary has the same thing, which made me feel better.  But what you don't know is that Curtis has a tendency to blow up like a balloon when he breaks out.  He is our "rashy" child.  He would have days where the entire side of his face and ear swelled up like a ballon.  It was the craziest thing!  He looked like Will Smith in that movie Hitch when he has an allergic reaction to shellfish.  Before he even left on his mission I made sure we packed a giant bottle of benedryl for just this purpose.  He had an incident in the MTC and a visit to an Urgent Care then, but was fine until now. Curtis said they played ball in a field at a school this morning so it could be some kind of pesticides effecting him.  That kid!  He said they were "just chilling" in their apartment today.  So, I guess it finally snowed in the mission.  This was the view from outside their apartment window today.  

Looks like a good bit of snow.  Well, as Curtis put it, "we played ball in a blizzard this morning"!  I guess the snow came down pretty fast and since Curtis has never really been around snow except for the occasional snow trip up north, he was the only one outside playing in it.  He sent us a video of himself in the snow.  Below are a few shots I took from the video. 

Curtis making snow angels above, and people slowing down to watch Curtis make snow angels.  They must think he is completely nuts!  

This is Curtis making a snowball to throw at his roommates watching from the open upstairs window of their apartment.

This is those roommates slamming the window shut to avoid getting hit by the snowball.

I'm glad Curtis is making the most of his down time and being effected by whatever his rash is.  I'm not sure if the weather has caused them to be home today or the rash because it looks like all of his roommates were home.  I guess Curtis wasn't kidding when he said the weather slows things down there. 

This is what The Weather Channel showed for Darien.  27 degrees.  That's not as cold as it could get yet.  I'm sure that will happen eventually!  The zero degree weather that is.  

Kevin update: He seems to be doing okay today.  No crazy incidents.  He has been taking it easy and doing exactly what his doctors tell him.  Yay!  

Wedding Update:  We haven't done much in regards to the wedding these past few days.  I had a moment or two to look for invitation ideas and I sent a few to Danielle.  She liked the two I liked so we will see what they decide to go with.  We haven't seen or heard much from Danielle these past few days.  I assume she is either working, doing homework, or spending time with Chance or her roommate.

Look at this!  It looks so cool.  

Valentine's Cake
  • Pink cake:
  • 1 c. butter
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1c. sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp strawberry extract
  • ½ tsp salt
  • pink gel food coloring
  • heart cookie cutter
  • Vanilla cake:
  • 1 c. butter
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • ½ tsp salt

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep a loaf pan with baking spray.
  2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.Beat after adding each of the eggs, one at a time. Add strawberry extract and salt.Add the flour beating on low until all ingredients are combined.Add several drops of the pink gel food coloring.Pour the pink batter into the loaf pan.Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes ( loaf will not be completely baked) .Cool in pan 15 minutes.Flip the loaf onto a wire rack to cool.Turn upright to cool completely.With the cookie cutter in hand measure for the width of each slice.Cut each slice about 1" thick..Using the cookie cutter, cut out the hearts.
  3. For the vanilla cake you will beat on high the butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time, stir in the vanilla and salt. Gradually add the flour as you beat on low all ingredients. Fill bottom of loaf pan with ⅓ batter then fill on both sides and in between the hearts you have in the loaf pan. Bake at 350 for about an hour.
Cut each slice about 1 inch thick when cake is cooled and stack heart cut outs to the side to be used inside the next cake.

Once you make the batter for your second cake you can then pour some on the bottom and line your heart pink cake pieces inside as you see here. Recipe for the vanilla cake are above. Make sure when you pour the vanilla batter that is surrounds the hearts and in between each heart. Once caked you can top with frosting or melt Wilton candy melts (aff. link) and drizzle on top like this one.

Well, gotta go!
It's movie time with the kids.  Hope you have a great rest of your weekend.  Take care and we will talk soon.  

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...