Saturday, January 16, 2016

It's Saturday Night, Saturday Night!!!

Sleeping in on Saturdays is pretty much my one guilty pleasure in life, and while I wholeheartedly enjoy and NEED the sleep, it is a sacrifice too.  My family let me sleep until 11:30 this morning.  How can a grown woman sleep that long?  I am embarrassed and thrilled all at the same time.  I think the main reason I slept so long was simply because I was up until about 2 a.m. last night.  There.  That makes me feel a little better about the 11:30 thing.  
 
Community Question: Is sleeping in all that bad?
 
Kyle is in the market for a car and has been checking out a few dealerships around the valley.  So, this afternoon Kyle and I got up and went to visit a car dealership today.  He wants to get a car as soon as possible...no!  He needs a car as soon as possible.  We are hoping he will be able to get one in the next could of weeks, but until then we keep playing the "Hey Mom" game whenever he finds a car he wants me to look at either online of in person.  You know the game...."Hey Mom, check this out."  OR "Hey Dad, check this out."  I'm sure he will have a car very soon. 
 
Image result for car dealership cartoon
 
But, tonight Kyle is off to go hear Elder Bednar speak.  I love that he has decided to not watch the football game this evening in order to hear an apostle speak.  It will be good. 
 
Kyle mentioned that his Mission President and his wife will be speaking at Women's Conference this year.  I would love to go again and hearing both of them speak.  I miss being able to go.  These days I could take my daughters.  That would be so cool, but I doubt that will happen with the wedding and all.
 
 As it stands, Danielle is trying to find some time to get up to Montana for the open house up there that the groom's parents want to have.  From what I understand their bishop has an amazing home on lake front property that is beautiful.  I for one cannot wait to see it, if we get to go.  I guess the plan is to have Kevin and I go with, but we will see what happens.  After the car dealership Kyle and I stopped to the dollar store to walk around for a bit.  They just happened to have some of the dollies we were looking for at an awesome price.  Two for a dollar is always wonderful!   
 
I called my Mom earlier today to bounce some ideas off of her.  I walked her through all of our plans for the reception and she loved it all.  It always makes me feel good to get my mother's approval.  Especially since she is so artistic and crafty.  I always value her input, help, insight, ideas, talents, and stamp of approval.  Yay!  Thank you Mom! 
 
Right about the time Kyle left for the Fireside with Elder Bednar our oldest stopped by.  Danielle was here to let me pay her back.  She "bailed" me out of a rough spot last week and I really appreciate her help.  Seems like this has been happening a lot lately.  Danielle and I ran to the bank so I could stop by the ATM and while we were driving back I mentioned the doilies I found and so we decided to stop back by the dollar store.  We looked around for a bit and Danielle picked up a couple things she was looking for, and then we headed back to my house.  She was on her way to Chance's house so they would call his parents tonight.  She said she wasn't planning on staying out late since she had a ton of homework to get done.  Danielle said she worked 50 hours this past week because the place she works at was doing inventory.  That plus a full school schedule is a lot!  But, she has a plan to be done with school soon.  So, this will be the year she gets married and graduates too.  Then she will be off to complete her masters.  Go Danielle!!  I keep teasing her that she is never going to be done with school and she might as well go ahead and get a PHD degree too.  LOL!  She insists she is not going to go to school to get that. 
 
Over the past few weeks I have received several call from telemarketers.  It always happens at exactly the moment I do not have time to deal with them or when I am trying to do something else and my hands are not free.  In my opinion their calls are just plain annoying.  One kept calling and calling, over and over again that I finally handed the phone to my daughter and let her talk to them.  BUT, I have learned a nice little trick that works.  There are three little words that work quite nicely and they are "Hold On, Please....."  Saying this, while putting the phone down and walking away (instead of hanging up right away) would make each telemarketer call so much time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt if everyone did this!  No joke.  Then when you eventually hear the phone company's beep-beep-beep tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up the handset, which has efficiently completed its task.  These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting too.  I have also received a few of those annoying calls with no one on the other end lately.  This is a telemarketing technique where a machine (called an auto-dialer) makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone.  This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a "real" sales person to call back and get someone at home.  So, what can you do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible.  This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system.  What a shame for them NOT to have your name in their system any more!!  I've learned a new trick for junk mail too!  When you get ads enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these ads with your payment.  Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away!  When you get those  so called "pre-approved" letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar types of junk mail, do not throw away the return envelope.  Most of these come with postage-paid envelopes, right?  It costs them more than the regular postage "IF" and when they receive them back. It costs them nothing if you throw them away!  The postage was around 50 cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight.  In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes.???!!!!   You could send an ad for your local carpet cleaner to American Express.  Send a pizza coupon to Citibank.  If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send them their blank application back!  It you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send them.  You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing!  It still costs them the same amount in postage.  Banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of their own junk back in the mail, but we really need to OVERWHELM them!  Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they're paying for it.....Twice!!  I say let's keep our local postal service busy since they are saying that e-mail is cutting into heir business profits, and that's why they need to increase postage or close post offices.  You get the idea!  If enough people follow these tips, it would work.  I have a friend that has been doing this for years and she gets very little junk now.  Pretty clever, right??!!

With it being January and the start of a brand new year, I have this itchy feeling to re-organize, de-junk, and simplify everything around my home.  It just seems to be the thing to do this time of year.  A few things I have learned along the way from others that make my life so much easier.......
 
Keep a water bottle filled and in the door of your refrigerator for everyone in the family.  Then when they are thirsty they can grab it themselves, take a drink, put it back, close the fridge and go on their merry way.  Your kids could start doing this from the time they are strong enough to open the door by themselves.  It has saved us about 94,000 trips to the kitchen over the past several years, I'm sure of that!!!  Each person has their own colored water bottle.  They can refill them with filtered water by themselves.  They are always in the fridge with cold water and only the owner's germs.  It's a good thing!!! 
 
Another good idea for keeping recipes handy...Rather than taking time to write recipes down on a card and filing them away to be forgotten, I have an open file system.  Each folder is labeled, as the files or sections of any recipe book or box.  If I discover a great recipe on the box of something, or a lid of a container, in a magazine, I just pull it and toss it, as is, into the file.  If it does become a recipe that I use over and over through the years, I eventually transfer it to my own cookbook with the lifelong, tried and true recipes.  Until then, however, no writing, no copying, and it's easy to remember it was on a cool whip lid or a soup label when I'm looking for it.  Just store the open file in a kitchen cupboard and you've got east access when you need it!
Here is another good thing I learned years ago....a friend bought a giant roll of plastic wrap at Costco.  That roll of plastic wrap lasted over ten years!  One roll, about $20.  It's wider than what you buy in the stores, it stretches just great and it's perfect stored on the shelf of a pantry where it's easy to just rip off what you need.  We have only done this once ourselves, but I'm sure when I go to purchase my second roll, it will last us until I'm well into my 70's! 
 
Another idea that makes my life easier in the bathroom....hanging a spring loaded shower curtain rod INSIDE the tub against the wall for towels, wet swimsuits, and damp clothes rather than having them clutter the entire bathroom.  Extra show rod.  It's a great thing!
 
Here's another good idea.  The library book basket.  Simple.  A basket kept in a central location in your home.  All library books are stored in it in between readings.  Library books go here and only here.  When it's time to go, no searching the house for books under beds, in closets, on bookshelves.  Grab them and run.  All of them.  All together.  Another book idea:  The scripture basket.  Each member of our family gets their own set of scriptures at the age of eight, when they were baptized.  We read scriptures in our family room so the basket was kept there for a while, until we had a book nook in our hallway like we have in this house.  BUT, by having a scripture basket, we don't waste time locating them when it's time to read, they are right where we use them.  This keeps them from lying all over the room on end tables or the floor.  We grab them on our way out and drop them back in the basket on Sundays when we come home from church meetings.  This has been one of the best "good things" for almost twenty years now! 
 
These are a few things that make my life a little easier.  What are yours? 
 

Recipe for the New Year
• In a large bowl, mix a cup of fresh starts, 3 ounces of resolution, and a dash of inspiration. While stirring, add 5 tablespoons of family time and a quarter cup of fun.
• In a separate bowl, mix 2 tablespoons each of laughter, excitement, and tears. Pour in a cup of forgiveness and a teaspoon of peace. Fold into the other mixture.
• Spray your pan with luck and joy before adding the mixture and baking for 20 minutes.
• When you can smell the delicious love and hope, it is ready.
• Frost with kindness and generosity. Sprinkle with a touch of romance, and your New Year is complete! This recipe is best for sharing with family and friends.
As you take your first bite of the New Year, we wish you happiness, love, good health, and many blessings!

This has been a good day!  Full of lots blessings and we are thrilled!  These are the days I want to cherish and remember as we plan and prepare for our oldest child to go through the temple for the first time.  It's a lot different having a daughter go through.  Especially since there is a wedding taking place too.  I have two girls so we get to do this twice in our lifetime.  I like that my girls are my oldest and my youngest.  The boys are in the middle.  That way we get to have our last child, a daughter, go through the temple some day.  I know I will be just as excited as I am today for our youngest to eventually follow in her older sister and brothers footsteps.  She has already informed me that we will NOT be doing the same kinds of things we are doing for Danielle.  She just wants things simple.  I laugh.  Honestly, I don't think I was ever taught how to do things in a simple fashion.  Sure, I consider myself to be a simple girl, but when it comes to weddings, I tend to have some grand ideas and plans.  So, I'll be surprised if we actually pull off simple when it comes time for Lexi to go through the temple.  I'm kidding of course.  The best part of any LDS wedding is that the entire thing is quite simple, but very special and so beautiful!  I wouldn't want any of my children to get married any other place.  I cannot wait to watch and be there as my daughter and future son in-law are sealed together in the celestial room with it's grand ceilings, large chandelier, and beautiful mirrors on all sides.  I plan to have plenty of Kleenex on hand for sure! 

I need to get going.  Take care my friends and we will talk again soon. 
 
Happiness quotes for love 
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...