Monday, January 4, 2016

Back to Life, back to reality....ah!

Two Things I am Grateful For:
 
1) Messages received from our Missionary, even if it is for things he needs. 
 
2) My family for not being demanding tonight!
 
From the Camera:

Our youngest daughter on her baptism day about 9 years ago.  How the time flies by!  I can't believe she will be turning 17 this year.  Love this girlie of mine!
 

  
From the Craft Room & Things I Love: 

I would LOVE to try soap making.  You know the decorative kind.  I found some recipes on Pinterest that I might later this year.  Right now it's just fun to look.  See the fun shapes like the one below that you can make.  All you need are some fun molds.  I think it would be fun to make some of these for my bathroom or something. 
(I really should be looking at ways to get more organized!)
 
 
 
 
From the Heart & Spirit:
 
 This is a wonderful time to be on earth. While there is much that is wrong in the world today, there are many things that are right and good. There are marriages that make it, parents who love their children and sacrifice for them, friends who care about us and help us, teachers who teach. Our lives are blessed in countless ways.
We can lift ourselves and others as well when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues. Someone has said that “gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.”
Thomas S Monson ("The Divine Gift of Gratitude" GC, Oct. 2010)
 
From the Kitchen:

How to Make Cake Mix Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 (18.25 oz) box of cake mix- any kind. (The cookies pictured here were made using a strawberry cake mix and a Funfetti cake mix)
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/3 c. Vegetable Oil
Optional Ingredients:
  • Frosting
  • Sprinkles
  • Powdered Sugar (For chocolate cake mix cookies, roll your balls of dough through a pile of powdered sugar before baking- YUM!)
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 375.
  2. Mix cookie ingredients together.
  3. Put 1 inch “globs” onto cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.
  4. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until the edges start to brown  
From the Schmidt's:
 
Rain!  It rained all day today and right on into the evening.
I've been thinking a lot about some of the people I've talked to over the past several days.  One being a lady I have worked with for about 9 years now and I have never met her face to face, but we have this connection.  The other day she was concerned because she had not been able to get a hold of me.  When I told her what was going on with Kevin she said her BIL was a firefighter and got into an accident on the way to a fire when he was 29 and had been in a wheelchair ever since.  She said he past away at the age of 62.  He said his wife, her sister, took very good care of him, but each time he got a bladder infection it would land him in the hospital too.  It was good to talk to someone that actually knows what we are going through and I am so glad she shared her BIL's story with me.  One of the hardest things for the average person to understand is that a simple bladder infection for you and I is no big deal, but a bladder infection for a paraplegic could be life threatening!  No joke!  That is why we rush Kevin to the Emergency Room every single time it happens.  Not to mention his what a bladder infection does to him.  He is like an elderly man in a nursing home.  I kid you not!  It's like day and night compared to the Kevin we know when he is healthy.  It scares me to death!  Kevin cannot speak, function, walk, help dress himself, or anything when these come on.  It's really bad!  Thank goodness for my son who has been here for these first two.  He is a blessing!
 
One thing I failed to mention that happened last Thursday.  What I am about to say, is going to get a little graphic, so you may want to skip through some of this.  Anyway, as most of you know, since the spinal cord injury Kevin cannot sense when he needs to go to the restroom  Part of the care he received at the Neurological Rehab Center was training on how to cath himself and how to make himself go number two.  That's right, he has to make that happen.  Those first few days were really rough for him.  They would literally lift him from his bed, completely naked, to get him to the restroom.  Someone had to stimulate his rectum to make him go.  No joke!  In the beginning they also had to train his body to go at a certain time of day.  In the beginning he had accidents.  Several accidents.  If any of you know Kevin, he is not the type of guy to like an audience for things like this or that the entire nursing staff knew when he had an accident because they were right there or he would have to call them to clean it up.  Hence, this was one of the reasons ALL visitors were restricted or limited during his time in their care.  Not to mention the busy schedule they kept him on.  As you can imagine, it has been quite a change of lifestyle with all of this and Kevin has been doing pretty well, all things considered, since his time at the Rehab Center.  Well, a miracle happened last Thursday.  For the first time since his injury Kevin was able to actually pee on the toilet without using a cath.  When he told the doctor that day, she said, "don't be surprised if this does not happen every single time.  It could be sporatic at first."  This to us was amazing!  Another sign that things are improving, even if it only happened once....we will take it!  (I'm done with the graphic stuff)
 
Well, Danielle has called and scheduled the Temple.  She has met with her Bishop.  She will go through Temple for the first time a few weeks before the sealing.  She is taking Temple Prep Classes and Marriage and Family Classes.  Her fiancé is doing the same.  Today before we left, I scheduled a building for the reception.  (That is just in case the bride doesn't find another venue)  We are getting a little closer every day! 
 
It seems like as soon as the time changed and we were in 2016 our family has been hit from all sides.  No kidding!  Danielle was telling me a few days before Christmas that her boss was not cooperating with her request for Sundays off and she was really frustrated.  I told her to talk to her Bishop, but that now that she has decided to go through the Temple the adversary would be working extra hard to make it difficult for her and her fiancé.  I never dreamed he would be working on the parents too, but I know better.  I was just being naïve!  Silly me.  Hence the reason Kevin and I have been hit from all angles too.  Financially, health wise, family relationship wise, spiritually, and any other way you can think of.  He is working on anyone that will be helping these two follow on getting to the Temple because he knows how important it is!  He doesn't want us to have eternal families.  He doesn't want us to make sacred covenants with our Heavenly Father.  He doesn't want anything that will help you make these choices period!  Knowing this makes it that much easier to stay on track for all of us.  It's maintaining that perspective that we need to remember. Remember those announcements on television you use to get when a network was going off line around midnight or so?  Well, that is the same kind of announcement I need to hear each time the adversary tries his hand at slowing us down or changing minds.   This is just a test, only a test.  For the next few months (or 60 seconds, in the TV world) you are going to experience interruptions in your lives and the lives of those around you.  We will return you to your regularly functioning lives after the sealing is over!  Or something to that effect. 
 
Speaking of tests.  I remember thinking this very thing right after my husband left for his mission.  He had been gone only a couple of days and all of a sudden my phone started ringing off the hook.  I id you not.  I was being asked out far more than I ever had been.  Let's face it.  I didn't date much in high school so this was a strange thing to me.  After about the first week of Kevin being away at the MTC I got really sick.  So sick, I spent an entire week in bed.  It was bad!  Up to that point, I had never been that sick in my life, except when I was about 5 and had pneumonia and almost died.  (true story.  I was on the table in the hospital being examined and I stopped breathing.  Turned blue, and I was unresponsive.  I totally freaked my Mom out that day!  Needless to say, I was in the hospital for several days)  Well, this guy called me to ask me out.  When I told him I couldn't because I was sick (he could hear me coughing like crazy) he got a little upset.  He was a pilot, or a pilot in training, for the Air Force.  Well, I never did go out with him. He eventually showed up at the flower shop I worked at to order flowers for another girl.  How he found out where I worked I will never know, I don't recall ever telling him.  Anyway, I think he wanted to rub it in my face a little.  Silly guy!  I wasn't interested in him, and besides, I really was sick.  Anyway, long story short, I remembered thinking all these guys calling was just a test.  A test to see if I could hold out for Kevin.  Well, we all know the end of that story.....I married Kevin!  ~smile~smile~ 
 
Kyle came home with a bunch of paperwork to go through.  He has to pick his benefits before the end of the month.  It sounds like he will be training at a few of their locations and at all hours too.  This is going to be fun.  Not!  BUT, we will get through it.  At least the bulk of things will be at their main location.  I really can't complain.  Eventually, this situation will improve.  It just takes time.
 
We haven't taken the Christmas decorations down yet.  With the rain outside, we probably won't get to the lights until the weekend.  The inside will have to come down a little at a time.  I'm so glad we didn't get everything out this year!  Lots to do!
 
It's late and I need to be up extra early tomorrow.  Take care friends and we will talk again soon.
 
From the Missionary:
 
Nothing new from our missionary other than the quick message I received earlier.  Soon though!
 
Quote of the Day:
 
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...