Saturday, November 7, 2015

The colors of fall

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) The option to pay my tithing online.  I love that!  

2) My co-workers who have been amazing while I was away while Kevin was in the hospital.

From the Camera:

I have to admit, I am a little jealous of my youngest son who gets to see the leaves changing colors this fall.  Look at all the bright colors.  Just one of the perks of serving an LDS Mission in the 
NY NY North Mission I guess.  I tried to get him to round up some of the fallen leaves and send then to me, but he doesn't think they will stay these bright colors and I will end up with a box of brown ugly leaves.  Darn!  He is such a lucky kiddo!  






From the Craft Room and Other Cool Things:

Here is an interesting idea for those old sweaters.  Gives a new meaning to the old saying: Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.  Love it!  I have a few sweaters that may turn into slippers soon.  

Stay Warm

From the Heart and Spirit:


From the Kitchen:

BLUE RASPBERRY ROCK CANDY

INGREDIENTS
  • ½ cup water
  • ¾ cup light corn syrup
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp flavoring extract (i chose raspberry, but there are tons to choose from!)
  • blue food coloring (or any color!)
  • candy thermometer
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. mix all ingredients together and place in a medium saucepan.
  2. stir until boiling.
  3. after liquid begins to boil, do not stir until finished.
  4. once boiling, place candy thermometer in liquid and monitor closely. when liquid reaches 300 degrees, take off heat and set aside.
  5. allow to cool until the bubbles quit breaking at the surface of the liquid.
  6. pour liquid onto a foil lined (and non-stick sprayed) baking sheet
  7. allow to cool until fully hardened. you can then break apart to the size desired.
photo 3[1]

From the Schmidt's:

We woke up this morning to Kevin and Lexi bantering back and forth about the time.  Kevin thought it was 8:30 at night and Lexi was telling him it was 8:30 in the morning.  His phone said 
8:30 p.m. and he has been sleeping a lot since he has been home from the hospital, so his internal clock is all messed up.  Poor guy.
After we got that straightened out, Lexi and I got ready and went to the county library.  She has been doing  A LOT of reading and wanted to check out some books.  Her real reason for wanting to get to the library was to set up online access to books she can download and read on her computer.  Did you know there was a service like this through the libraries?  Who knew??  I'm just thrilled she wants to read even though she seems to get more headaches whenever she reads a lot.  Poor girl.  Because of this, she has switched back to online school again.  Not exactly our favorite choice, but this seems to really work for Lexi.  She is doing quite well with her online classes.  In fact, the other day I got an email from her teachers telling me how phenomenally well Lexi was doing.  I know she can be a good student.  She works hard and she loves school.  What she doesn't like is falling behind when she gets sick.  It stresses her out completely and then it's hard to get her back on course.  Now to get Seminary on track.  We got a call from her Seminary teacher who is amazing and let us switch Lexi to an early morning class, but she has been sick again.  I wish there was an online option for Seminary too.  I think she would be able to keep up with that if there was.  I may need to ask.  More to come on that.  

Kyle had a physical last week.  They ran all kinds of tests.  One of which was a standard EKG.  The EKG spit out the paperwork with a diagnosis of a right bundle branch block in his heart.  Next week he has an appointment with a cardiologist to get this checked out.  This could be something serious, or it could be nothing at all.  With our family history, this has me concerned.  You know, Lexi having an atrial septal defect, as well as a mitral valve defect that required open heart surgery.  As well as her older sister that has an irregular heart beat....this has us all concerned!  Not to mention what this could mean for Kyle.  I can't help but be worried.  This could completely change Kyle's life and his plans for the future.  He has completed all of the steps to get hired by a local law enforcement agency.  He just needs a cardiologist to give him clearance and he is good to go.  If this turns out to be something Kyle won't be able to do his weightlifting any more, he will have to change career paths, as well as his schooling.  He was working towards becoming a PE teacher and/or a History teacher if the law enforcement thing doesn't pan out.  If this whole thing turns out to be something he may have to drop the whole PE thing all together.  Can I just tell you how my heart aches for this kid?!  He needs a break!  He needs this to be nothing.  He needs this to not hold him back from his future plans.  AND just so you know, he isn't talking much about this. I asked him last night if he brought this up to any of his friends yet, and he said he hasn't told anyone.  I know he is concerned and a little scared too.  So, please keep Kyle in your prayers.  Thank you.

Danielle called me the other day to let me know the time is coming when a huge question will be asked of her!!!  I can hardly stand it!  Let's not wait any longer.  Get on with it for heaven sakes!  So keep watching for that post.  Love it!  
Danielle has also decided to change her major a little bit.  This means she will graduate ASU next fall!  Can I tell you how happy this makes me???!!!!  She has worked so hard and has done this all on her own.  YES, it has taken her longer than MOST kids.  YES, she has had A LOT of comments and questions about why it has take her so long.  I told her, WHO CARES!!!  All that matters is that you did it!  AND it means more to her because she did it all on her own!  I love that for her the most!!  Go Danielle!  
We couldn't be more proud of you!

Kevin has been home from the hospital now for a few days and he is finally starting to act like the old Kevin.  Yesterday Kyle took him to a doctor's appointment and Kevin couldn't make out complete sentences.  Kyle did most of the talking he said.  Then when Kevin went into the restroom to give a urine sample he was in there for over half an hour.  Kyle sent me a text at work to tell me he thought his Dad had fallen asleep in the bathroom.  Really!!!???  Honestly, I think Kevin is just moving a lot slower after being in the hospital and weak from the infection he has.  Poor guy.  We have a few more appointments next week to get Kevin to as follow up to his recent hospital stay, and a new therapist to check out too, but we are going to give Kevin a day or two to get back to his old self before all of that.  

I am absolutely loving the change in the weather!  No more outrageous electric bills because we have to have the air conditioning on to keep us all cool.  I just hope my family will let us go several weeks before we have to turn on the heater this winter.  This is the perfect weather!  I wish it was like this all year long!

The other things I love about this time of year is the fact that all the winter fragrances and tastes are available.  I love the cinnamon, apple, pumpkin, spice scents you can get for your home now.  Then all the pumpkin and cranberry recipes!  Oh, they are divine!  Love them all!  Not to mention all the fall colors and boot weather and sweater weather.  Isn't it wonderful??

Well, I have a lot to do.  I want to make a pumpkin spice bundt cake with a brown sugar crumb topping tonight.  I have been dying to make one and I just happen to have the right spices in the house!  Love that!  Yum.  Last time I made this I used the recipe to make muffins.  I took them to work and they were a big hit!  I don't plan to take this to work.  This is for my family.  Then if it turns out well, I might make a couple extra.  We shall see.  

Take care my friends and we will talk again soon.

From the Missionary:

Hey Everyone,

How's it going?  This week we had some awesome experiences.  We taught that members Dad who had Alzheimer's again and it was a complete turn around.  He remembered everything from last time (which is a blessing) and he was very receptive.  He said that he was sorry that he didn't read the Book of Mormon.  Last time he couldn't remember too much about himself, but this time he told us about all the schooling he did and all the time he spent working on being a good teacher and all this awesome stuff.  When he prayed though he said that he was sorry that he didn't put enough time in the church.  He is awesome.  I hope he continues to improve.  

We also met with another investigator named Dxxxxx who we couldn't meet with until recently.  He is very curious and had a lot of concerns with the Plan of Salvation.  He doesn't understand why we would want to come here after living with God.  We are going to try and teach him about agency.  Anyways today was fun, we played ultimate frisbee and did some shopping.  How are you guys?  Anything interesting going on?

Love, 

Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad

Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...