Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Life Changes Quickly

To say a lot has happened since my last post would be an understatement.  I went to bed Sunday night thinking my husband would get to the doctor on Monday.  How wrong I was.  At around 11:30 p.m. Kevin decided to let me take him to the hospital.  Can I tell you how frustrated I was since I had been asking him to let me take him all day!  The man always waits until the very last possible moment.  So, as I was driving him to the hospital at midnight Sunday night I had no idea how we were going to get him out of the car.  Thank goodness the hospital staff was there to help me.  It took four people to do it.  

Once Kevin was in his wheelchair, they didn't even wait to have Kevin sign paperwork, or go through triage.  He went right back to a room in the Emergency Room and I think I counted about 10 people in the room when I walked in.  Talk about quick service!  

The doctor took all of Kevin's information, ran some tests, took a CT scan and an X-Ray.  Then by about 1:00 a.m. he came back to tell us Kevin had a fever of 102 degrees.  He ordered an antibiotic and then let me know they intended to admit Kevin.  At first they thought he had pneumonia because his lungs sounded awful.  Then it was determined that he had a very bad bladder infection.  We knew he would get bladder infections.  This was something Barrow's warned us about.  We just had no idea how bad they could possibly be.  This one took Kevin down.  He couldn't even form sentences and he was falling, or slipping off of our bed every time I turned around.  It was not good.  The hospital even had a speech therapist come and work with Kevin.  I guess something is a little off there.  Not sure what that is about.  I think it's just the illness because he was perfectly fine Saturday.  He even spent some time getting after Lexi for homework.  How quickly things changed.

It looks like Kevin will be coming home tomorrow with an IV in his arm to administer the IV antibiotics.  I guess his infection is that bad.  Yikes!  It's been a rough couple of days for all of us.  Hopefully tomorrow things will begin to go back to normal.  Or at least that is what we are hoping. 

I will say this.  While I was driving home from the hospital in the middle of the night after we got Kevin all settled in, I began to feel very helpless, but as soon as that feeling started to take hold, something happened.  It was then that I was reminded by the sweet whisperings of the Holy Ghost that there is so much that I can do to help my husband.  First I can remember that everything about my life is an indicator that my Heavenly Father loves and respects me, that He recommended and selected me for this time right here and now, when the stakes are high, when His kingdom is being established once and for all, never again to be taken from the earth.  He chose me to run in this last leg of the relay, when He needs His strongest, fittest runners.  He believes in me.  The simple fact is that my Heavenly Father did not recommend Sarah, Moses, or Nephi, or countless other awesome examples for this dispensation is humbling to me.  He recommended you...and He recommended ME.  For this time.  For this leg of the race.  For the exact race I am running right now.  That simple knowledge is humbling and life changing in itself.  I was baptized at the age of 8 and received the gift of the Holy Ghost at that time.  Then later I entered into the House of the Lord with my sweet husband and received the fulness of the Holy Ghost, and by doing so we are now surrounded by and protected by God's power, and when two people enter into the new and everlasting covenant of marriage, they have additional privileges and power sealed upon them as a couple.  Not the kind of power like you the world would call power to reign or rule over things or people, but God's power, which is not puffed up.  

I will admit that I am still learning to understand how God makes His power available to me, what it takes to qualify to receive that power, and how to gain access to that power.  I'm not perfect.  I make mistakes and have to repent and try again, often.  BUT, what I have come to remember is that there is power in the word of God.  There is power in the word of God to heal our wounded souls, to help us overcome temptation and come unto Christ, to prompt us to repent, to humble us, to help us overcome the natural man, to bring about a mighty change in our hearts, to bless us with revelation and the spirit of prophecy, and to lead us to Christ.  

I have learned that reading the scriptures can open my mind to spiritual things not visible to my natural eye, and they can open my heart to feelings of the love of God and a love for truth.  I have learned that immersion in the scriptures of God changes us.  It can change anyone just beginning to taste the sweetness of the goodness of God.  It is the power of the word, specifically power that came from reading the Book of Mormon, that brings about a mighty change.  Nowhere are the doctrines of the gospel more fully taught than in the Book of Mormon.  Joseph Smith declared that "a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book".  The Lord Himself endorsed this book, declaring, "He (meaning Joseph Smith) has translated the book, even that part which I have commanded him, and as your Lord and your God liveth it is true." (D&C 17:6)  For in His testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, God Himself laid his godhood on the line.  Either the book is true of God ceases to be God.  That is a powerful statement, indeed!!!  There is power in the word, for the Word is God.  And the Word is taught in the Book of Mormon, which a latter-day prophet has promised will bring power into our lives.  That power is something I want more abundantly in my life.  That power is something I crave and desire more than anything, and that is the reason I have made a few changes in my personal life.  

First I wake up a little earlier each day to read my scriptures and say my personal prayers.  By doing this, I have noticed a change immediately in my daily life.  I see the Lord's hand more abundantly each and every single day in my life.  It has been an awesome thing, even if it's only been one week.  That simple change in setting aside time and sacrificing a little sleep to start my day out right was exactly what I needed.  NO, that doesn't guarantee that my life will be smooth sailing from here on out.  In fact, I have noticed an upswing in the crazy that goes on in my life.  BUT, I never expected my Heavenly Father to take away any of my trials, challenges, or struggles.  I mentioned before that I had to be careful about what I prayed for.  I stopped using the word change and started using the word improve as I prayed.  That has happened.  Not so much in the day to day happenings of our life.  BUT more so an improvement in myself.  My attitude.  My desire to try a little harder to be a little better, and for this I am very grateful.  This is a good thing and if you want to see improvement in your life too, then I challenge you to do the same.  If you need a copy of the Book or Mormon, click on the link on the side of my blog and order a free copy at no cost to you.  Trust me, you will not regret it, that I promise you!

Well, I should go.  It's late and I have a busy day ahead of me.  Take care friends and we will talk again soon.


 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...