Friday, November 13, 2015

Just Friday!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) My husband.  Tomorrow we celebrate our 28th Wedding Anniversary, and I am so happy I'm married to him.  I love that man!  More than words can say.

2) Friday afternoons!  Love that! 

From the Camera:

This just made me laugh when I saw it.  


From the Craft Room and Other Cool Things:

How to reuse old drawers....








From the Heart and Spirit:


Wanna know why I cut it all off?

When I was four years old, I asked my mother; "Are there heaters in Heaven?" 

I had just been diagnosed with end stage nephroblastoma, after several visits to a GP who denied anything was wrong and dubbed my parents "paranoid." I'd overheard the doctors telling my family that the only hope of saving me, was an experimental treatment that might kill me anyway. But without it I had maybe two weeks left. The hospital was cold. I'd never felt air conditioning before. 

Life in the White Palace (Granddad’s nickname for hospital) meant I got to grow up surrounded by children just like me. We were mostly bald, all tubed, taped, bandaged up and stitched back together. We were all missing parts, some obvious like eyes or legs, others more hidden, like lungs and kidneys. Those who still could, tip-toed around like little fairies because chemotherapy had destroyed the muscles in our legs and it hurt to put our heels on the floor. But we were all together, so no one's appearance came into question. No one got laughed at or teased. We were all we knew. 

And then I got really lucky. I survived, my hair grew back and I got strong again. I look relatively normal on the outside, but on the inside, I am still the same stitched back together little creature, in a world where people are judged so harshly for the way they look. It has always been completely incomprehensible to me. How can people think there's time for that? 

I was really inspired when I heard a story about a little girl who said she couldn't be a princess because she didn't have long hair, and I wanted her, and others like her to know that's not what makes a princess, or a warrior, or a superhero. It's not what makes you beautiful either. It's your insides that count… even if you happen to be missing half of them. 

Every scar tells a story, every bald head, every dark circle, every prosthetic limb, and every reflection in a mirror that you might not recognize anymore. Look deeper than skin, hair, nails, and lips. You are who you are in your bones. That is where you have the potential to shine the brightest from. It is where your true beautiful self lives. 

Thank you ABC network and particularly our creator, Callie Khouri for letting me change Scarlett's hair, and my team, family and friends for helping me make the decision. If it makes even one person think twice about judging another, then in some small way, the world is better. 
Self-esteem takes a lot longer to grow back than hair. 

#BeautyWithin

Photo credit - Joseph Llanes Photography

If you watch Heart of Dixie then you know who Clare Bowen is.  Below is a photo of her beautiful long hair before she cut it.  I love her message, that true beauty comes from within.    

From the Kitchen:

Pumpkin Pecan Cobbler
Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:

1 cup + 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

topping:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups very hot water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium sized bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and spices. Set aside.
In a smaller bowl, stir pumpkin, milk, melted butter and vanilla together to combine. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix to create a thick batter. Pour into a small 8-inch casserole dish with high sides.
In a separate bowl, stir sugar, brown sugar and pecans together. Spread over the top of the batter evenly. Pour hot water over the entire thing {WITHOUT STIRRING A THING!} and bake for 40 minutes or once the middle is set. {Be sure to place on a baking sheet in case it bubbles over.} Cool 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve with more pecans and vanilla ice cream.

From the Schmidt's:

I came home from work tonight and to find my kitchen counter cleared off and most of the dishes done.    That is one gift I am always very excited to receive!  Thank you Kyle and Lexi.  

Kyle was gone by the time I got home tonight.  He was off to a football game with his cousin.  They have been spending a lot of time together these past few weeks, which is great, but still a little weird too.  They haven't spent this much time together ever!  Seriously!  Don't get me wrong.  I am not knocking it at all.  It's nice to see.  Honestly, I believe my children always thought their cousins thought they were better than my children.  Frankly, I really don't believe that.  I think it was just timing, childish attitude on all parts (my kids absolutely included in that, no doubt!), and age differences too.  Bottom line, this is a good thing.  Enough said about that.

I can't remember if I mentioned this yesterday, but  Kyle got an all clear from the cardiologist and he goes in Monday for fingerprinting.  All he needs to do now is be offered the job, sign papers, and it's a done deal.  (Let's hope he hears something soon.)  You have no idea how happy Kyle has been these past couple of days.  Knowing his heart is good has been a huge weight lifted off that young man's shoulders.  True blessings received for sure!  He has even talked several times to his ex-girlfriend over the past few days, which is good.  It's good that they are on speaking terms.  

Kevin and I do not have much planned for our big day tomorrow.  Maybe dinner with the kids and a board game or two.  Depending on how Kevin feels tomorrow.  I am totally a-okay with that.  I want Kevin to get better and hopefully get to church with me Sunday.  That would be amazing!  See, it doesn't take much to make me happy.  ðŸ˜€

Well, I should go.  Hope you have a wonderful Friday night.  Take care my friends and we will talk soon.

From the Missionary:

Nothing new from our Missionary yet.  

Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...