Monday, October 5, 2015

Manic Monday

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Weekends!  Time to get a few things done.  Time to spend with family.  Time to spend some time relaxing.

2) A dishwasher!  I am so grateful we have one.  Makes my job so much easier.  I love that the dishwasher heats up and sanitizing my dishes after someone in the house has been sick.  Love that!

From the Camera:

Isn't this sunset beautiful?  This is the kind of things we get to see here in Arizona once in a while.  So pretty!  

From the Craft Room and Other Cool Things:

Wire Heart Pendant
From the Heart and Spirit:

A young man went to seek an important position at a large printing company. He passed the initial interview and was going to meet the director for the final interview. The director saw his resume, it was excellent. And asked, '
- Have you received a scholarship for school?' The boy replied, " No '.
-' It was your father who paid for your studies? '
-' Yes.'- He replied.
-' Where does your father work? '
-' My father is a Blacksmith'
The Director asked the young man to show him his hands.
The young man showed a pair of hands soft and perfect.
-' Have you ever helped your parents at their job? '
-' Never, my parents always wanted me to study and read more books. Besides, he can do the job better than me.
The director said:
-' I have got a request: When you go home today, go and wash the hands of your father and then come see me tomorrow morning.'
The young man felt his chance to get the job was high.
When he returned to his house he asked his father if he would allow him to wash their hands.
His father felt strange, happy, but with mixed feelings and showed their hands to his son. The young man washed his hands, little by little. It was the first time that he noticed his father's hands were wrinkled and they had so many scars. Some bruises were so painful that his skin shuddered when he touched them.
This was the first time that the young man recognized what it meant for this pair of hands to work every day to be able to pay for his study. The bruises on the hands were the price that he payed for their education, his school activities and his future.
After cleaning his father's hands the young man stood in silence and began to tidy and clean up the workshop. That night, father and son talked for a long time.
The next morning, the young man went to the office of the director.
The Director noticed the tears in the eyes of the young man when He asked him: -' Can you tell me what you did and what you learned yesterday at your house?'
The boy replied: -' I washed my father's hands and when I finished I stayed and cleaned his workshop '
-' Now I know what it is to appreciate and recognize that without my parents , I would not be who I am today . By helping my father I now realize how difficult and hard it is to do something on my own. I have come to appreciate the importance and the value in helping the family.
The director said, "This is what I look for in my people. I want to hire someone who can appreciate the help of others , a person who knows the hardship of others to do things, and a person who does not put money as his only goal in life". ' You are hired '.
A child that has been coddled, Protected and usually given him what he wants, develops a mentality of " I have the right ' and will always put himself first, ignoring the efforts of their parents. If we are this type of protective parent are we really showing love or are we destroying our children?
You can give your child a big house , good food , computer classes , watch on a big screen TV . But when you're washing the floor or painting a wall , please let him experience that too. 
After eating have them wash the dishes with their brothers and sisters. It is not because you have no money to hire someone to do this it's because you want to love them the right way . No matter how rich you are, you want them to understand. One day your hair will have gray hair, like the father of this young man.
The most important thing is that your child learns to appreciate the effort and to experience the difficulties and learn the ability to work with others to get things done.

From the Kitchen:

Crisp Rosemary Flatbread

Nothing could be easier than making this cracker

1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary plus 2 (6-inch) sprigs
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup olive oil plus more for brushing
Flaky sea salt such as Maldon

Preheat oven to 450°F with a heavy baking sheet on rack in middle.

Stir together flour, chopped rosemary, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in center, then add water and oil and gradually stir into flour with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Knead dough gently on a work surface 4 or 5 times.

Divide dough into 3 pieces and roll out 1 piece (keep remaining pieces covered with plastic wrap) on a sheet of parchment paper into a 10-inch round (shape can be rustic; dough should be thin).

Lightly brush top with additional oil and scatter small clusters of rosemary leaves on top, pressing in slightly. Sprinkle with sea salt. Slide round (still on parchment) onto preheated baking sheet and bake until pale golden and browned in spots, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer flatbread (discard parchment) to a rack to cool, then make 2 more rounds (1 at a time) on fresh parchment (do not oil or salt until just before baking). Break into pieces.

Flatbread can be made 2 days ahead and cooled completely, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature.

From the Schmidt's:
This week isn't starting off too well. 

Yesterday a family friend shared that his father passed away and I couldn't help but stop and take note.  I immediately ran into our bedroom to make sure my husband was aware.  
You see, this man was Bishop at the time my in-laws were working to get to the Temple.  This man made sure my in-laws knew that they didn't have to be perfect to be found worthy to go through the Temple.  My Mother-in-Law said they were working so hard just to be found worthy by paying their tithing, attending their church meetings, along with all of the other things required to receive a Temple recommend.  It was their Bishop, John Larry McLaws that applauded their efforts for working so hard, but also helped my 
in-laws to understand that they were already where they needed to be and that they could be interviewed for their Temple recommends.  Bishop McLaws made sure my in-laws and their children were sealed together in the Temple of the Lord.  Through his determination to see that young couple and their children attend the Temple that day on May 7th, 19 (I'm not sure of the year, but it was back in the 70's) , that started a whirlwind of future Temple sealings for our family, with another sealing set to take place this weekend.  With the help from this one man, 4 generations of the Schmidt family (that I know of) have all been sealed together in the Temple of the Lord, three generations here on the earth, and one generation who has passed on.  (I know there are more than just these 4 if you count all the generations on my Mother-in-Laws side of the family as well.  I just do not know that exact number.)  We are so grateful for the efforts of Bishop McLaws.  At the time he may not have realized the ripple effect his small acts of kindness had on our family.  I for one will be eternally grateful for Bishop McLaw's determination and hard work, and we mourn with his family over the loss of this great man.  

On to other things.....

Kevin was scheduled for several appointments this week.  While Kyle was taking me to work, Kevin decided to get showered.  He didn't tell us he had intended to do this while Kyle was gone.  He just went into the bathroom and tried to get onto his shower chair all by himself.  Needless to say, Kevin fell.  When Kyle got home he found Kevin sprawled out naked on the bathroom floor.  Why Kevin decided to get showered without anyone other than Lexi in the house I do not know.  He was warned to NOT do this by doctors and therapists, but apparently he has forgot their wise advice.  Arg!  So, in a nutshell, Kevin didn't make it to therapy today and we wasted all that time and gas just getting me to and from work.  Arg again!!  
As you can imagine money is extremely tight these days.  I was talking about this kind of thing with a friend at work who is in a similar situation and she said she was thinking about getting a second job.  The one difference with her is that she doesn't have a husband who is paralyzed from the waste down that needs help, or kids still living at home.  Believe me, I have thought about a second job.  Then maybe we wouldn't be such a burden for others.  It's a hard decision.  I need to be home with my husband so things like this fall do not happen as much, and Lexi needs me too.  I wish you could grow money on trees like in cartoons or something.  I keep joking that we need to win the lottery, but you have to play and I don't do that.  It's so hard.  There are a few things we can do to help the budget out a little.  First, we need to get Kevin approved for Social Security.  That would make things a lot easier.  There is a chance for a raise at work next year for me too.  You know I have worked there for 10 years and I have only had the cost of living raises.  My old boss told all of us the only way to get a raise is if we got our series 7 license.  Come to find out, that isn't the case.  There are two of us that have not received any kind of additional raise since the time we started with the company.  She has one week seniority on me.  How sad is that??  Believe me, I am doing everything I can to make sure that happens.  Every little bit will help.  Thank goodness we have new bosses who are determined to make sure all of these kinds of things happen.  I am so grateful for our new bosses.  They are such a breath of fresh air and have made my job so much nicer from the moment they arrived.  Thank goodness!!!  I never could have made it through the last 6 months, with Kevin's spinal cord injury, without their help.  They have been nothing short of amazing!  (Please keep your fingers crossed that we will see some big changes at the end spring next year.)
We could try and move into a smaller place too. I'm not sure how we would come up with all the deposits yet, but that could happen.  We wouldn't want to move Lexi to another school, even though she says she is okay with that.  Kevin made a promise to each of our children.  That promise was that they would not be moved around from school to school throughout their high school years.  He wanted them to at least have that time in one place.  Kevin said these years are hard enough without throwing in a move too.  Kevin says it takes a good 4 years to get in and really get to know all the kids in the area and things.  In a lot of ways he is right and I applaud him for trying to make this happen for each of our kids.  I have visions of us slipping off the face of the earth.  (Sorry, I'm a bit overwhelmed right now.)

I think the hardest thing for me to see is how difficult things have been for Lexi most of her life.  When Kevin gave her baby blessing I remember him telling her how difficult life was going to be for her.  After her open heart surgery I thought, well, that must have been what he was talking about.  Then, other things began to happen.  Things like what we are dealing with now with her Dad and his spinal cord injury.  You know we have never taken a family vacation with her.  Several years ago we took the three older kids to Disneyland, but Lexi has never been.  How sad is that?  Now, don't get me wrong, not every kid gets the chance to go to Disneyland.  My point here is that the last time Lexi was on a family vacation was when she was a baby.  No joke!  Now that is sad!!!  It wasn't because we didn't want to go, we just couldn't do it with work, or we flat out didn't have the means to do it.  Now I look and wonder if that will ever happen.  I don't see us going too far with Kevin right now, and I wouldn't want to go without him.  
I feel like such a failure as a parent and wife pretty much all of the time, but I know this is not something everyone wants to see or hear.  Everyone wants to see or hear the good, and I have really tried to remain positive and not share how I am really feeling.
Besides, dwelling on the bad just makes me incredibly unhappy and I just need to snap out of this. NOW!

Let's chalk this up to.....I'm having a bit of a pity party right now....please excuse me.

*******Shifting gears*********

On a positive note.  I have a wonderful husband.
Sure, he can get on my nerves at times.  Sure, I can get on his nerves at times too.  Neither one of us are perfect.  We have work at it.  It takes both of us.  We are a work in progress.  That's the beauty of it....we are working together.  That's what its all about.  That's how we have 28 years of marriage, and hope to have many more too. 
I have 4 amazing children.  Children who are not perfect, but they are perfect for us.  They can be stubborn, mean, and difficult at times, but so can I, and they know that.  At the same time, they work hard for everything they have, they do not think the world rises and sets to their every whim, and they have strong testimonies of the gospel, just to name a few things we love about our kids.
Kevin and I have great parents.  Not perfect parents, but perfect for us and we feel blessed to be called their children.  
I have a job.  That is such a blessing....for income, and medical and dental benefits too.
We have food to eat.  
We have running water in our home.
We have electricity...which means air conditioning and lights in our home.
Anyway, you get the idea.  We have many, many blessings and I just need to focus on these things and as I do I will be given the ability to see the Lord's hand in my life more abundantly.  
If I keep thinking about what I don't have, or the size and significance of our burden, I will be come hardened, closed minded, and become bitter and mean.  I don't want to do that.
I want to feel like my burden is light and that even though I have been asked to do hard things, I can do them with the Lord's help.
That is what is most important to me.  Yes, just getting through some of this, but also remaining very much aware of how blessed we are.  

I'm rambling.  I am so sorry.  Let's move on...

My brother is quite the cook and even won Iron Chef Arizona.  He has decided won some cooking competitions here is the valley.  Now he is trying to get to California for the Master Chef Competition.  

My Brother won Iron Chef Arizona and has a dream of competing in the Master Chef competition in California. He is a great cook and we would love to see him reach his goal. Any donation you can give would be greatly appreciated. Check out his gofundme.com account. His name is Shaun W. Zimmerman. Thank you.

I find it interesting that my little brother who use to love working in the kitchen with my Mom all those years ago, has found his groove, so to speak, in the kitchen.  He has quite a talent and really does deserve the chance to compete.  We wish him well and hope he makes it to the competition.  

And on that note, I am going to go.  I have a lot to do.  Take care my friends and we will talk again soon.

From the Missionary:

Nothing from our Missionary today.  More to come soon.  

Quote of the Day:

May your expectations of what your life should look like fall by the wayside.  May you instead, open your hands, and trust God with everything he has planned for you.  He's always good, always true, and He listens when you pray!  May you see his hand in surprising ways that will bless you.  May He breakthrough in the lives of your loved ones in ways that only He can.  May He heal and transform your own heart so that you can receive all He wants to impart to you.  He is a miracle working God.  In this particular life season, may you learn to rest deeply, sing passionately, and love profoundly.  The Lord is not finished with your story yet.  Enjoy Him while you wait and see what He will do! 
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...