Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Another Day in Paradise

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Good neighbors.  I got a surprise text from my neighbor the other day saying she was my new Visiting Teacher and she wanted to bring us dinner the next day.  I of course told her she didn't need to bring us dinner.....but she insisted.  When she came to the door with dinner it was a lot of food!  Holy Cow!  So yummy!  Thank you Rhonda W.!  You are awesome!

2) This weekend we had another neighbor help us stain the ramp built by yet another neighbor.  Thank you Bro. Jordan!  We really appreciate your help with the ramp.  AND Bro. Greeley for building the ramp!  Thank you, Thank you!

From the Camera:


Sometimes you're the car and sometimes you're the tree..... 

"The Bug"

Well it's a strange old game you learn it slow
One step forward and it's back you go
You're standing on the throttle
You're standing on the brake
In the groove 'til you make a mistake

Sometimes you're the windshield
Sometimes you're the bug
Sometimes it all comes together baby
Sometimes you're just a fool in love
Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger
Sometimes you're the ball
Sometimes it all comes together
Sometimes you're gonna lose it all

You gotta know happy - you gotta know glad
Because you're gonna know lonely
And you're gonna know sad
When you're rippin' and you're ridin'
And you're coming on strong
You start slippin' and slidin'
And it all goes wrong because

Sometimes you're the windshield
Sometimes you're the bug
Sometimes it all comes together baby
Sometimes you're just a fool in love
Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger
Sometimes you're the ball
Sometimes it all comes together
Sometimes you're gonna lose it all

One day you got the glory and then you got none
One day you're a diamond and then you're a stone
Everything can change in the blink of an eye
So let the good times roll before we say goodbye because

Sometimes you're the windshield
Sometimes you're the bug
Sometimes it all comes together baby
Sometimes you're just a fool in love
Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger
Sometimes you're the ball
Sometimes it all comes together
Sometimes you're gonna lose it all

Sometimes you're the windshield
Sometimes you're the bug
Sometimes it all comes together baby
Sometimes you're just a fool in love

Sometimes you're the windshield
Sometimes you're the bug
Sometimes it all comes together baby
Sometimes you're just a fool in love

MARY CHAPIN CARPENTER LYRICS


From the Craft Room & Other Things:

Learn how to make a DIY Decorative Ladder with this simple, step-by-step tutorial! This is a great piece of decor that will add tons of character to your room! at LoveGrowsWild.com #diy #ladder #decor

Here’s how I made my ladder:
Learn how to make a DIY Decorative Ladder with this simple, step-by-step tutorial! This is a great piece of decor that will add tons of character to your room! at LoveGrowsWild.com #diy #ladder #decor
1)  I picked up 2 – 6 foot 1 x 4 boards from the hardware store and one 6 foot 3/4″ dowel rod. I sanded down all edges of the boards to give them a worn, rustic look.
2) I cut the dowel rod into 4 – 18″ pieces.
3) I laid all the pieces out to find the spacing I wanted for the ladder rungs and marked where each rung would go on the 1 x 4’s. I ended up spacing mine 14 1/2 inches apart.
4) Using a 3/4″ paddle bit, I drilled a shallow round in the 1 x 4’s  for each of my rungs. *You only need to make a small groove for the dowel rod to set in.
5) I drilled long screws into one of the boards, securing the dowel rods in place.
6) Then I lined up the second board and screwed the other side of each dowel rod in place.

tutorial courtesy of lovegrowswild.com

From the Heart and Spirit:

A portion of a talk given by President Thomas S Monson called...

We Never Walk 

You will one day stand aside and look at you difficult times, and you will realize that He was always there beside you. 



There will be times when you will walk a path strewn with thorns and marked by struggle. There may be times when you feel detached—even isolated—from the Giver of every good gift. You worry that you walk alone. Fear replaces faith.
When you find yourself in such circumstances, I plead with you to remember prayer. I love the words of President Ezra Taft Benson concerning prayer. Said he:
“All through my life the counsel to depend on prayer has been prized above almost any other advice I have … received. It has become an integral part of me—an anchor, a constant source of strength, and the basis of my knowledge of things divine. …
“… Though reverses come, in prayer we can find reassurance, for God will speak peace to the soul. That peace, that spirit of serenity, is life’s greatest blessing.”2
The Apostle Paul admonished:
“Let your requests be made known unto God.
“And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”3
What a glorious promise! Peace is that which we seek, that for which we yearn.
We were not placed on this earth to walk alone. What an amazing source of power, of strength, and of comfort is available to each of us. He who knows us better than we know ourselves, He who sees the larger picture and who knows the end from the beginning, has assured us that He will be there for us to provide help if we but ask. We have the promise: “Pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good.”
From the Kitchen:

Old Fashioned Biscuit Recipe
Old-Fashioned Biscuits


Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold lard (or unsalted butter)
1/2 cup whole milk
Unsalted butter, softened, for the pan and biscuit tops
Directions
Combine the dry ingredients: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl with a fork.

Cut in the lard: Cut the chilled lard into small cubes and add to the dry ingredients.

Use a pastry blender (or two forks) to cut the lard into the flour, pressing and twisting until the lard is in pea-size bits.

The mixture is ready when all the lard has been broken down into flour-coated bits and the mixture resembles coarse meal.

Add the milk: Make a well in the flour-fat mixture and slowly pour in the milk. Mix with a fork until just combined, then knead gently with your hands until the dough comes together into a sticky ball.

Roll out the dough: Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and pliable; do not overwork. Roll out into a 1/2-inch-thick round, flouring the rolling pin and dough as needed.

Cut out the biscuits: Smear a 10-inch hoe cake pan or cast-iron skillet with softened butter. Cut out 2-to-3-inch biscuits using a clean empty can, the mouth of a glass or a biscuit cutter. Put the biscuits on the pan. Reroll the scraps and cut out more biscuits. Make a fist and mark the top of each biscuit with your knuckles. Dot with softened butter. Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
From the Schmidt's:

It looks like things are moving forward with the "wedding planning" for Danielle.  We are keeping this low key until it is "officially" announces....oops! too late!!  LOL!  We have to do it this way.  Since budgets are extremely tight, we need all the help and time we can get to beg and borrow what we can, and then shop all the sales for anything we absolutely have to have.  I use to tell Danielle that if my parents could pull off a wedding reception while my Dad was out of work, then we can do it with our tiny budgets too.  Thank goodness we have some time.  Danielle is hoping for a spring wedding.  Plus this will give us time to get Kevin covered by social security, if all goes well with the timing there and get him stronger with his physical therapy too. 

As soon as I caught wind that Danielle was serious about this guy...Chance, I started hunting for a few things.  I found some industrial letters we will use to spell out the new last name.  Here is what I have so far. 


Letter "A"

Letter "O"


Letter "E"


Letter "S"

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg
Letter "N"

Now all I need is a letter R, D, and another N.  So, Danielle and I are on the hunt.  I'm sure by the time we get to that time when the wedding actually will be scheduled we will have all the letters, even if we have to make then ourselves.  

I scheduled my sabbatical at work for sometime next spring.  I'm thinking I will need to adjust it a little to make it work for around the time the wedding will be.  I am not sharing a date yet, because it's not etched in stone yet with the couple.  Until that happens we are just keeping our eyes open for anything and everything we might need.  

This weekend we have a wedding reception to go to for that friend's daughter...you know the friend that offered to help out with anything we might need with Danielle's wedding.  I can't wait to go and see how pretty everything will be, because I know it will be.  This friend always does such a good job with anything she does.  

I had an interesting thing happen to my paycheck at work.  I always check my future paycheck before the actual payday because I want to make sure the amount I am expecting is the actual amount I will be receiving.  Well, this last week I checked my future paycheck and it was about $250 more than normal.  When I saw that I immediately checked my time sheet.  Come to find out it was filled out incorrectly in my favor.  So, I reported the overage to my manager right away, and we got it taken care of right away.  As I walked away from her desk I couldn't help but feel like this was a test.  Not a test given like an exam in school, but a test of my integrity given by someone I feel much more accountable to, my Heavenly Father.  It would have been very easy for me to NOT say anything, but I never would have been able to sleep that night if I didn't do exactly what I did and report it right away.  To be perfectly honest, things like that really bother me.  I don't want to be under paid, and I don't want to be over paid either.  BUT, under the circumstances, I am so grateful for the core values I was taught by my parents about the meaning of integrity.  Which basically means, doing the right thing....and doing the right thing even when no one else is looking, or in this case, catching this mistake.  

We are all doing the "Happy Dance" for Kyle tonight!!!  He got a call back from that local law enforcement agency today.  They want to schedule the next phase of the process immediately.  They left him a voicemail message stating they want to put a rush on it.  I thought that was awesome!  Go Kyle!!!  He called them back right away, but didn't get through right away.  So, they will set this up tomorrow for a future date.  He was pretty excited!  I didn't hear about it until I got home from work.  I guess everyone failed to send Mom a text message or to call me to let me know.  I could have been jumping up and down in my office earlier if someone would have just let me know.  Kevin was suppose to text me, but he forgot.  No biggie.  I totally understand.

Kevin called his doctor (the one who took care of him at the hospital) to get a referral to another therapy center.  He isn't happy with the one he has been going to.  They run students through there and they just don't seem to do anything but work his legs.  So, all the upper body strength he gained while in the hospital has been lost.  8 weeks of work gone!  Which isn't good.  He needs that strength to help him get around and move from place to place.  There is one place that is actually quite close to the house that he is considering.  It's the same place my Mom goes to for therapy and she raves about it.  They have been helping my Mom with her back since her recent fall.  So, I feel comfortable with them and feel that they will be able to help Kevin get the care he needs to help him improve.  


Kevin is also trying to reach out to the psychologist to schedule a few sessions.  He has really been struggling with a few things and wants her help to work through them.  I have to give it to him for recognizing that he needs help and for seeking it.  This man has been through so much and he is allowed to have bad days.  I know if I were in his place, I would be going out of my mind for sure!  I do not know how he has been able to get to the point that he is at now.  This is why we both feel so blessed to have the gospel in our lives.  It is because of that knowledge of the plan of salvation, the gift of the holy ghost, and the ability to pray and receive personal revelation that has been vital to his state of mind and his ability to cope.  What an incredible blessing the gospel is.  It brings peace in a tornado of chaos.  We feel so blessed for the knowledge we have.  Sure, we do not consider ourselves even close to knowing everything there is to know about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.  We just know that had it not been for the things that we already know, we would not be able to make it to this point. We also know the place of miracles, the role angels play in our daily lives, and the blessings that come through those right here in our own neighborhood and family.  We cannot go through everything we have been through, with all the love and support we have received without feeling incredibly blessed and uplifted by everyone else's strength, love, and support.  It means so much, thank you. 

Everyone keeps asking what they can do for us.  I feel bad because I don't have a list of things for others to do for me.  I know everyone just wants to be put to work on whatever task we need done, but I just can't seem to come up with a list.  I'm sorry.  We try to be as self reliant as we can. Sure, don't get me wrong, we need the help of others.  There are so many things everyone is already doing for us.  Right now, just keep our family in your prayers.  We still need them.  AND, we will continue to pray for you as well.  I know that seems like such an easy thing to do, but honestly, that is what we need right now.  We need that support.  That is how you can help my husband.  He needs to find strength beyond his own to move to the next step of his care and his future dealing with his injury.  He needs to find clarity and answers.  Pray for that.  I need to find clarity and a little peace of mind.  I had to laugh at our Bishop who said he was concerned about me and needs me to talk to him so I don't end up in the bed right next to Kevin.  He wasn't kidding.  He was quite serious and concerned.  He is right.  There are times when I feel like I am going to lose it, or like my life is spiraling out of control, and that I do not see a bright future in sight.  I won't lie about that feeling.  BUT, as soon as those thoughts come to my mind something miraculous happens and I am reminded that my Heavenly Father is right here with me every step of the way and that He is right her with Kevin, and He has and will NEVER leave us alone.  When I think of this I see imagine my Heavenly Father sitting in the big chair in our living room talking with me.  You know, much like a visit from a General Authority or Apostle in your home much be like.  OR, something like this... (at least when the Footprints in the Sand quote comes to mind.) And that is a good thing.  


It's October break for all the school age kids in the area.  Lexi has been working on her online class and doing a lot of reading, which is awesome!  I wish I got an October break.  BUT, I won't complain.  A sabbatical is awesome.  

It's time to go.  Take care my friends.  Take care and we will talk again soon.  

From the Missionary:

Hi Everyone,

     This week was pretty fun on Danielle's birthday we had Elder
Arnold from the Seventy come and chastise us. It was so awesome! He
would start by asking if we do certain things like have trouble
getting up in the morning and such, and then he would just say repent,
then he would move on to the next question. Everyone found out that we
can all do a little better lol. He also gave a training on doing
member missionary work which was really good. We got some nice
articles from the mission president training in the MTC.

     Something pretty cool I just thought of is that I have now met 2
apostles because I met Elder Rasband at the Yankees game and of course
Quentin L. Cook.   At this pace I might meet 6 more apostles lol.... probably
not.

     This week hasn't been the best for meeting with people since
we've had a couple of meetings but we have set up a ton of solid
appointments with investigators and members. It's going to be really
good. We are going to be meeting with that guy from Haiti about twice
a week to help out as much as possible he is super cool and knows a
ton of stuff about the gospel.

     The weather here is getting kinda cold in the morning are in the
40s some in the 50s but it's gonna get colder by December last year
the first real snow was after Christmas so it won't snow for a little
bit. I have done better in this weather then I thought I would I
haven't needed a sweater at all yet except in the morning going to the
gym.

     Well anyways we are gonna go up to Danbury to get chick fil a and
meet up with some other elders I will probably send a second email
when we come back. My roommates are wanting to play some board game or
something so we will see anyways byeeee :)

Love,

Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad













Quote of the Day:



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...