Saturday, October 3, 2015

A Day FULL of Blessings!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1)  LDS General Conference!  I love hearing from our church leaders.  I am always uplifted by the things that they have to say.  Each time I come away recharged and happy!  I love that!

2)  Saying No to a child and watching them find another way to get what they need and excelling at it.  It's not always easy to say those words...No.  But what a blessing it is to watch a child search, ponder, and pray.  What a blessing it is to watch your children apply those teachings in their own daily lives.  So exciting!  

From the Camera:
This is our dog and my friend.  He has become my buddy as well as the rest of the families buddy too.  It's funny to me that Kyle acts like he doesn't like this dog.  Yet the first thing he did this morning was wake up and ask where the dog was.  Kyle thought he got out because all he heard were dogs barking out front.  We love this dog...even though technically he really isn't our dog.  He is Danielle's dog.  We think he has now become "OUR" dog.  

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg

From the Craft a Room and Other Cool Things:


From the Heart and Spirit:

Today, by the will of the Lord, three new Apostles were called
to serve for as witnesses of Jesus Christ to the world.  While we will certainly miss those that have passed away, we are also excited to welcome three new as well.

President Henry B. Eyring announced Ronald A. Rasbund, Gary E. Stevenson, and Dale G. Renlund would join the Quorum of the Twelve, the second highest leadership organization in the LDS church.  General Authority are callings are life long.  Russell M. Nelson was also sustained as President of the Quorum today.  

After watching LDS General Conference I had the chance to hear all three of these men speak at a press conference in their honor.  After hearing each of them bear their humble testimonies and speak of how they were called, I know, without a doubt, that these three men are exactly where they need to be.  Not that I have ever questioned these decisions in the past, because I have always known that whomever is called, was the person the Lord wanted to serve at that particular time.

This has been a historical event.  One my entire family had to witness.  Our church has not called three Apostles since April of 1906, when George F. Richards, Orson F Whitney, and David O. McKay were called.  This truly was something to gather the family around the television for.  To see history play out right before their eyes.  This is a great day, and one I hope my children will never forget.  So exciting!

I want you to know that I know that the Lord is in charge of his church and that the Lord has called these three men to be His Apostles.  These men will bear special witness in word and in deed of the Savior, and His gospel in all that they do as members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and for the rest of their lives.  Imagine that!     
Image result for three new lds apostles

Image result for three new lds apostles


From the Kitchen:

Thai Sweet Potato Fries with Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce


Thai Fried Sweet Potatoes with Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce

One large or two medium sweet potatoes (3/4 lb), peeled and cut into long 1/4-inch sticks
1/3 cup (36 g) rice flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened dried coconut flakes*
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon cornstarch or tapioca starch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
For the dipping sauce: Mix together 1/2 cup Thai sweet chili dipping sauce (store-bought, 1/4 cup finely chopped unsweetened roasted peanuts, and 1 tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro leaves.
  • Heat up vegetable oil in a small pan over medium heat. The oil should be at least 3 inches deep. In general, the more oil, the more heat is retained and the less oily the end results will be.
  • While waiting for the oil to heat up, prepare the batter. In a mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients except the sweet potato sticks. Add enough water to the dry mixture just until it forms a paste. The consistency of the batter should be similar to that of Greek yogurt.
  • Add the sweet potato sticks to the batter and toss with your hands until every piece is coated.
From the Schmidt's:

Today was the first day of the two day LDS General Conference.
Just to give you an idea of what that is, here is what the Internet had to say about our conferences.....

General Conferences are conducted each April and October and consist of five two hour long meetings held over two days.  The April meetings are called annual conferences and the ones in October are semiannual.  

The sessions on Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning and Sunday afternoon are open to everyone, but the session on Saturday evening is for Latter-day Saint men and young men who hold the Priesthood.

Latter-day Saints travel from all over the world to attend general conferences, which originate in the 21,000 seat conference center in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Free tickets are distributed for each session, with standby lines available for those without tickets.  Overflow facilities on Temple Square accommodate those who cannot fit in the conference center.  

Sine the majority of the Church's 14 million members are unable to attend general conference in person, the meetings are broadcast via satellite to over 7,400 church buildings in 102 countries.  Members can also watch conference on television through Salt Lake City bases stations.  In addition, the Church streams the meetings live on lds.org and on the Mormon Channel. 

During the conference, Church leaders speak on a variety of spiritual topics.  These address Latter-day Saints as well as government, faith and community representatives and other conference guests.  Speakers include the worldwide leaders of the Church, President Thomas S. Monson, and his counselors in the First Presidency, the governing body of the Church.  Talks are also given by the members of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles and other leaders.  

General conference talks vary in length from about 5 to 20 minutes.  Topics are not assigned, each speaker chooses his or her own subject matter.  Talks usually cover basic gospel principles or address significant issues of the day, with speakers encouraging individuals and families in their efforts to follow Jesus Christ.

After the conference is over, the talks are published on the lds.org website and reprinted in the Church's Ensign and Liahona magazines so members can read and study them. 

Church leaders have conducted general conferences since 1830, when the Church was organized by Joseph Smith.  According to historian Glen M. Leonard, "about 30 baptized members attended the first conference along with others who were interested in the Church."

Today, the conferences are simultaneously interpreted into 92 languages ranging from Albanian to Yapese to serve a large and growing international membership.  American Sign Language interpretation and closed captioning are also available.  

I absolutely LOVE General Conference!  I always come away feeling recharged and better for having taken the time to listen to the words of the leaders of our church.  Today was no exception to that.  I love that.  I could listen to the leaders of our church speak for hours and still leave thirsting for more every time.  In my opinion, there is nothing quite like listening to Prophets, Apostles, and other church leaders speak and bear witness of the truthfulness of all things.  Nothing!

Enough about Conference for now....

This morning I received a Facebook message from someone I didn't know.  I had commented on a post she shared about a month ago.  Well, as it turns out, this person wanted to drop off something to me.  She already knew my address and was in my neighborhood and ready to leave it on my doorstep.  How odd is that??  She ended her message to me that she wasn't some strange stalker, yet she knew all this information about me...including my exact address.  Yikes!  Should I be concerned?  Maybe.  Even so, it was very nice that she offered to give me this item at no charge and even made the delivery!  I may not know this person, but she is a nice person in my book!  She made my day!

Last night we got a visit from our Home Teacher wanting to set up a time to come by and paint or stain the ramp they installed at our front door.  They also plan to add no slip grip tape to the top of it too.  Can I just say how amazing these people are!!!  WOW!  I have never had so many people want to help out in all my life and quite frankly, I don't quite know how to react or deal with this.  This is a new for me.  I'm not use to all this help, much less use to allowing others to help.  That's something I am going to have to work on. 

Right now I feel like I need to guard my family.  Not from anything bad or anything like that.  We are still working through all of this.  Whenever I think of what is happening to our family I am reminded of a time when I was swimming in the ocean as a youth.  It was very early in the morning and as some of you may know, the current is usually the strongest first thing in the morning.  This is why surfers venture out into the water very early in the mornings to catch the best waves.  Well, I was about waste high in the water when I thought I heard someone on the shore calling my name.  When I turned around this wave swept over me and I found myself tossing and turning as the wave carried me closer to the shore.  While I was tossing and turning I honestly could not figure out which way to go to breath air again.  I honestly thought I was going to die that day.  Thankfully, the wave retreated back into the ocean and I found myself above water in about 2 feet of water, coughing up the water from my lungs, and covered in wet sand from head to toe, but alive!  Needless to say, I was much more careful the next time I ventured out into the water that day.   

Now that you have that visual of me tossing and turning in the ocean, this is how I feel about our life right now.  We just went through quite an ordeal and we are sitting on the shore wet, cold, and covered from head to toe with wet sand, just trying to make sense of what just happened.  That is why we just sit in utter shock as everyone offered to help us.  Yes, we do need their help and support, but we just don't know how to deal with this ourselves.  AND we don't know what we need help with.  It's a rough place to me, if you think about it.  Just give us time to get dried off, shake off the wet sand, and warm up once the sun comes up and then we might know what we need.  

Kyle has been a busy young man this past week.  He has been working to get ready for his next weightlifting competition next weekend in Phoenix.  His session will lift in the evening so we will try and make the trip to see that.  He is also waiting for the background investigation to be finalized for his new job.  Then he is going to school...taking classes on line right now, so he can be here to help his Dad during the day and get him to all of his therapy appointments and various doctor's appointments each day.  It's a lot if you add it all up.  Each time Kevin has an appointment Kyle takes me to and from work so he can have the car.  That means 4 trips in one day to Phoenix each time Kevin has an appointment.  That means if Kevin has 3 days of therapy and anything else, Kyle could make 20 trips to and from Phoenix per week.  That's a lot!  That's also a LOT of gas in the car too!  Not to mention the physical tole it takes on Kevin to make all of these trips.  It's a lot.  Thank goodness Kyle is here to help, otherwise I would have to take time off work to do this.  Thank you Kyle for all you do!  I couldn't make it without you.  I don't think anyone really understands how much Kyle helps us.  Kyle has been the one that has cared for his Dad day and sometimes night time too.  He helps him get ready in the mornings, gets him to the shower, to the bathroom to go to the restroom, in his wheelchair, out to the car, in and out for each appointment, and gets him fed and back into bed when he gets home too.  Kyle may seem rough and tough and like he just doesn't care, but he has more compassion than any other young man I have seen at his age.  It is amazing!  

Enough about all of that....

I've decided to start making a "Bucket List" of things I want to do before I die.  What do you think about that?  Is it a good thing or a bad thing?  Let's face it, there are a few things I would like to do.  Big things and little things.  Here is what I have so far.....

1) Serve in the Temple.

2) Visit (and go to a session) in all the Temples in Arizona and Utah at least once.  

3) Hike to the top of Camelback Mountain...and just take more little hikes in general.

4) Learn to play the piano

5) Take singing lessons.  I use to sing, a lot!  Time to do it again!

6) Take some creative classes at the local Community College or elsewhere.  

7) Study the scriptures with the seminary study guides for each book of scripture.

8) Earn the Young Women's Medallion again.

9) Get my Series 7, 63 or 66.

10) Get my Series 9/10

11) See a Broadway show on Broadway

12) Visit the church history sites across the country.

Those are just a few things.  It's a work in progress.  Eventually I will find the time and a way to get these things done.  One thing at a time.  Right now I am working on getting my dishes done.  One load at a time, and blogging in between, of course.  They should be done soon.  I think they should make a faster dishwasher.  This hour or so wait for the dishwasher is slowing me down and I don't like that.  Arg!  

Kevin and Lexi are watching the ASU game right now.  Kyle is off to a birthday party for his coach at some Country Western place in Cave Creek tonight.  He rode up with some friends from the gym.  Before Kyle left he kept threatening to ride a live bull tonight.  I pleaded with him to NOT do it!  That's all I need.  I can't have him in the bed next to his Dad.  Thankfully Kyle's coach would kill him if he tried it too.  That's a good thing!  I'm so glad his coach sees it my way.  All in all, the fact that Kyle went to the party is a good thing.  He needs to get out and spend some time with his friends.  I told Kyle he needed to be ready to purchase a soda or something at this party otherwise the establishment may not like him just "hanging out".  So, after he got home from his training session this morning he decided he was going to go sell some of his cards.  He took 9 cards and came back with $100.  Not bad, right?  I like the way he becomes resourceful when he needs to be, because my budget certainly could not afford anything more.  A convert taught him some of that while he served his mission.  The convert turned away from a very big job with the Catholic Church to become a member of the LDS Church.  Since he joined the church he has struggled financially, but he always seemed to have money in his pocket.  He did all kinds of things to earn money.  This man use to be a millionaire, until he lost everything and became a Mormon.  Thankfully, he shared some of his tips with our son.  Thank you, Larry! Anyway, Kyle used the money he got from selling the cards to pay for his cell phone service.  Then the rest he will use to give his friend some gas money and for something at the party tonight.  I like that and my budget does too.  After Kyle broke up with his last girlfriend, I was really worried about him.  He was a mess.  He still has moments, but he is starting to come around.  He went out on a date with a very nice girl last night.  Frankly, I like this girl. He has dated her before and she is great!  She is the daughter of the Bishop for the Singles Ward Danielle attends.  She is awesome!  Anyway, time will tell.

I want to see the new Cinderella Movie that came out in September.  I saw it at Target tonight.  I won't be buying it any time soon.  So, I will have to rely on Redbox or someone else allowing me to borrow theirs to be able to see it.  Hopefully Danielle picks it up some time soon so I can borrow hers.  Hint!  Hint! She probably won't since she has been called Cinderella too...in the same, not so nice way, that I was.  I'm hoping the new movie will help me continue to see myself as Cinderella in a whole new way.  In good ways.  If you know what I mean?

Well, the dishes are calling my name again....
Time to get busy.  Take care friends and we will talk soon.

From the Missionary:

BE A PART OF HISTORY—NEW EXIBIT!
We need 1,500 missionary name tags to display in a new permanent exhibit about missionaries at the Mesa Arizona Temple Visitors' Center. We invite anyone who served a full-time mission to be a part of this exhibit by donating one of their missionary name tags. Does your name tag have a story? We want to hear it. Please include a note about your name tag that may be published on Facebook.

Please note:
* Mail your name tag to the Exhibits Building (430 W 400 N, Salt Lake City, UT 84103) no later than October 10, 2015.
* All kinds of name tags (pocket, magnet, or pin) can be used in the exhibit.
* Only the first 1,500 will be included in the exhibit. If we receive more than 1,500, they may be used in exhibits at other centers.
* We are unable to return any name tags.
* Give us permission to use your STORY by including the phrase: “I give permission to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to use my story to promote the 8 Stories Exhibit.” If this statement is NOT included, we will not be able to use your story.
 — withPaea VaiAuthor Holly Ruttenbur DickinsonUngatea KaumavaeRoy Havili Kaufusi and Setaita K Tameifuna-Olive.

Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...