Thursday, September 24, 2015

A few happenings

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) The rain!  The weather report said it would rain Monday and Tuesday.  It drizzled on Monday, but Tuesday night it poured!  Love the rain.  Yesterday and Today it's a little cloudy but the sun is shining and the weather is perfect!  Love that!

2) Good friends.  We got a surprise from one of our neighbors the other night.  Homemade Banana Bread!  Yum!!  Kevin and Kyle were sleeping when we got it, so it lasted more than just the one night.  Kyle couldn't eat much because he was trying to drop a couple pounds for his weightlifting competition this weekend.  So, I actually got a piece to try.  Yum!   

From the Camera:

Kyle is getting ready for another weightlifting competition.
This one is a National Competition this Saturday in Utah.
We wish him the best of luck! 
Go Kyle!

From the Craft Room and Other Cool Things:
This week we are working on Lexi's Homecoming Dress.  
The dress we bought needed a little help to make a little more modest and to also make my daughter more comfortable in the dress.

Here is the dress we found for $15.00

Then we found a matching shrug for $9.00

We had off-white ribbon and added the bling for $4.00
(the bling we found at Joann's that was normally $9.99, but with the 60% coupon we had it brought the price down to $4.00)
Here is a close up photo of the bling....

Today I will be adding this fabric to the bottom to make a scalloped edge just to make the length a little longer and give the dress a little something special at the bottom, if you know what I mean?  

This afternoon Lexi and I will go out to find shoes to match her dress.  She actually wants to wear a heel.  For those of you that know Lexi, she ALWAYS wears flats, so this should be fun.  Most heels I've seen these days are super high.  Yikes!  Wish us luck.
We just need a decent heel for Lexi with not a huge price tag.  Then if we can't find anything, Danielle may have something OR know someone that has a shoe we could borrow.  I like that choice the best because I don't know that Lexi will wear the heels again.  Although, she might surprise me too.  We shall see.  

I'll post photos once I get the dress done.

From the Heart and Spirit:

Learn from the life of Esther and other inspiring women the importance of trusting in God and courageously standing up for what you believe.

I just love this line: ”Being brave does not mean I am not afraid. Being brave means acting in faith. ” I know that many of you are struggling. Really having a hard time dealing with all the trials and burdens that are placed on your back. I pray that you will each find the bravery you need to have the faith in the Lord to sustain you.

From the Kitchen:
Oreo Cheesecake Chocolate Cake

Prep Time: 1 hour Cook time:  
Total time:  
For chocolate cake:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
For no-baked Oreo cheesecake filling:
  • 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
  • 8 oz. Cream Cheese-softened
  • ¾ cup powdered sugar
  • 12 Oreo Cookies- coarsely crushed
For milk chocolate ganache:
  • 8 oz. milk chocolate-finely chopped
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
For garnish:
  • ½ cup chocolate chips
  • ¾ cup whipped cream
To make the cake:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease two 9 inch round baking pans and line the bottom with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  3. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and mix on medium speed 2 minutes.
  4. Add boiling water and mix until it’s smooth.
  5. Divide batter into 2 prepared pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  6. Cool 10 minutes in the pans, than remove from pans to wire racks upside down (this flattens domed cakes) and cool completely.

To make the filling:
  1. In a large mixing bowl mix heavy whipping cream until firm peaks form.
  2. In another mixing bowl beat cream cheese and sugar until it’s smooth.
  3. Combine cream cheese and whipped cream and stir in crushed Oreo.

To make the ganache:

In a sauce pan over a low heat melt chopped milk chocolate, remove from the heat and stir in heavy cream. Stir until it’s smooth and pour over the cake. (if it’s too runny cool it a little until ganache is thickened but still thin enough to drip down the sides of the cake).

To Assemble the Cake:

Spread filling on bottom layer of cooled cake, carefully place the second layer on top of filling, then spoon chocolate ganache on top of the cake. Garnish with chocolate chips and whipped cream if desired.

From the Schmidt's:

This has been a busy week.  At the beginning of this week I wasn't sure how we were going to deal with fixing Lexi's Homecoming dress.  I must have spent about 2 hours in the local Joann's fabric store hunting for something to add the the ribbon to dress it up a bit.  I looked at pieces of wedding lace and trims, but there were so expensive!  Then I looked at some cool jewelry pieces that would lay flat on the ribbon, but were not quite what we needed.  I looked at crystals that you can glue on with a special tool, I even looked at buttons, but nothing looked good.  I did happen down the wedding isle that day too, but passed up all the bling because of the price tag.  It wasn't until I returned to the store that I actually made a bling purchase.  I had the ribbon and I picked up the blue fabric over the weekend.  (I was hoping for some kind of trim that wouldn't require me cutting, measuring, or a ton of sewing.  They didn't have anything in navy blue.)  This week Danielle came over and showed me the 60% off coupon so we went out to Joann's again.  This time I purchased the bling piece.  Love it! 
The shrug we found at a shop right by our house for $9.00.  The dress we purchased at Ross for $15.00.  So, all in all, we haven't even hit $50.00, which personally makes me very proud of my daughter and myself!  I love that we haven't spent what....
a grand total of $28.00 plus $2.00 for the blue fabric for the scalloped edge at the bottom, and Lexi has a dress she loves and we didn't break the bank!  That is the best!!!  It makes me get that feeling like I got away with something.  Know what I mean???  Like you defied the laws of shopping or something.  LOL!

Around noon today I dropped Kyle off at the airport so he could get up to Utah with his team for the National Competition this weekend.  I have to say, it's weird not being involved in the washing, folding, and packing of the clothing and equipment with Kyle.  He does it all himself, which he should.  He is 25 for crying out loud!  I'm just use to doing certain things with even Kevin sometimes when he use to travel all the time.  Not doing this makes me feel like something is missing, but I will get over it.  I love that my kids are independent and take care of things on their own.  Some would criticize Kyle for living at home with us.  Frankly, he doesn't stay at our home because he wants to.  Believe me, he would be living on his own in a heartbeat.  BUT, Kyle stays at home to help me out with his Dad.  Kyle has been a huge help to me and I really appreciate all he does.  I couldn't do it without him.  I love that son of mine.  I count him as one of my greatest blessings.  AND, I will admit, I will be sad when he does finally leave home, but I can handle it.  After all, we want our children to make their own way in the world and be independent.  That's what it's all about.  It's all good.  

The beginning of this week was a little rough for me at work.  I had two presentations to do.  One Tuesday and another on Wednesday. That meant my schedule at work was pretty busy each day. Thankfully the people visiting were nice enough and they were fun to talk to.  Otherwise, those visits could have been harsh. 

 Today I worked a half day so I could get Kyle to the airport, take care of a few appointments, and run a few errands.

Kevin had new prescriptions that needed to be dropped off. 
When I went to our normal Walgreen's the Pharmacist announced to me that their systems were down, and had been for the past 24 hours, and they didn't even have the medications we needed anyway.  She said I could go to any other pharmacy and proceeded to ramble off names of the competitors.  I was a little shocked.  So, off the CVS I went.  (Our insurance prefers CVS)  When I arrived at CVS you could tell that the Pharmacy Tech or Pharmacist at the front desk, was annoyed with something because she had an immediate attitude before I could even tell here why I was there. This CVS looked at the medications and our insurance cards and then walked away for a few minutes.  When she came back she said they didn't have the medication and wouldn't get it for several weeks, but maybe the location at Greenfield and Guadalupe might have it.  So, I went there.  The Pharmacy Tech Trainee was super nice and said they could fill the one medication but not the other, but it wouldn't be ready until today.  On my way home I decided to stop at another Walgreen's just to see if their systems were down as well.  You know, like our normal pharmacy was dealing with.  The Pharmacist at this location was super nice.  He reviewed the prescription and said they didn't have enough of the medicine in stock, but would call to another location to see if they had it.  Luckily they did have it and off I went.  When I got there, the Pharmacist said their system had only been down for 2 hours but she would rebuild Kevin's profile and we could pick up the medicine in 10 minutes.  I about fell to the floor.  After 4 different pharmacies and all the crap I had to deal with at each location, I could have jumped the counter and gave that Pharmacist a big long hug, but I didn't!  Needless to say, I didn't get home until around 8:30 p.m. last night and I had to be up and out the door an hour earlier this morning in order to work the early shift so I could leave after working 4 hours in order to get Kyle to the airport on time.  

After my fiasco with the medications and our long time Walgreen's location just being unhelpful and frustrating, not to mention CVS being rude....that is exactly why I never leave Walgreen's.  Even when my old location is being difficult, I will always choose Walgreen's over CVS every time!  BUT, I will be changing locations to the one I stopped to on a whim, that always goes out of their way to help me find a location with the medications we need, which saves me time and money.  This Walgreen's location has become my new favorite Pharmacy!  I love them!  So sorry Walgreen's at Lindsay and Broadway, but you don't seem to cut it anymore and it's time for a change.  It's called quality of service!  My new location knows what that is and has out shined you each and every time I go there.  Love them!!!  
I also plan to write a letter to Walgreen's Corporate Offices to let them know how much I appreciate all the help my new Walgreen's has given, because someone needs to know how awesome they are!  It means a lot when we are dealing with a patient in chronic pain and a family that does everything they can to keep the patient comfortable on limited time and limited resources.  Enough about that. 

Lexi was home sick with some kind of stomach bug for the last 3 days.  She has really been hit hard lately.  She didn't get out of bed for those three days and barely ate anything.  I told her that if she was sick again today she would have to go to the doctor so we could get something to help her feel better.  She turned pale white in the face and had a fever, as well as throwing up.  UGH!  Not good!  Her and I were sick about 2 week ago with stomach stuff.  I guess this must be something else.  Yikes!!!  I wasn't happy to learn that.....I do not want to get sick again.

The day is getting away from me.  I have some things to get to today.  Tonight the first episode of season 5 of Scandal starts tonight.  I can't wait!!!!  Lexi will be busy with homework, Kyle is gone, and Kevin will be in bed.  The TV is all mine tonight.  YES!!
It's the little things that make me happy.  LOL!

Take care my friends.  Have a great day and we will talk soon.

From the Missionary:

Hey Everyone,

How is everything going?  I'm doing good.  It's a little different here compared to the Bronx.  I was surprised when we went tracting at how polite people were.  Even if they were not interested they would let us say what we wanted to and then would send us on our way.  Our members here want to help so much with our work.  We have about 4 people who ask to go tracting with us.  Most of them are in their late 20's and are on extended vacations, pretty much because they don't have to work.  It's ridiculous to hear people that are "unemployed" just for the heck of it.  But anyways, thank you guys so much for the jersey!  It is so cool!  My roommates have discovered that I am an ASU fan now.  Oh, a random thing I found out.  I created an Xxxxxx account so you guys can sign into it on your phones to get all of my pictures through the app.  It's really cool.  The address is and the password is xxxxxxxxx.  The login and password are case sensitive.  Well, anyways, I got to go.  Make sure you guys check out the site, there are some good pictures there.  :)


Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad

Quote of the Day:

There comes a point
in your LIFE
when you realize who
matters, who never did,
who won't anymore,
and who always will.
And in the end you learn
who is fake, who is TRUE
and who would risk it
all for you.
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...