Sunday, August 30, 2015

What a Weekend!!!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Rain. I remember the news stating it was going to be a hot weekend this weekend and we have a micro burst.  It's been raining for a couple hours now.  We lost power too.  My photo is super fuzzy, but do you see the lights in the distance?  Those are the houses across 24th with their lights on.
I called SRP just to see what their recorded line had to say.  I guess power was out all over the Phoenix-Tempe-Mesa-Chandler area.  When I called there was no ETA for restoring the power.  Trees are down everywhere.  In fact Danielle was over and her and I drove the neighborhood.  There were at least 4 trees down in our church parking lot.  I'm sure Priesthood will be working to get them moved before meetings start tomorrow morning.  

2) Electricity and Air Conditioning.  What a blessing!  I never could have been like those Pioneer women who gave up the cooler weather to move south to Arizona when there were so much dirt and no air conditioning  to establish what we now call Snowflake, Mesa, Prescott Arizona.  It's a good thing I was born for such a time as this, because I don't think I would have made it back then.
From the Camera:

Danielle came over so we played board games again.

Then the rain hit and the power went out.

And,

so then this happened....

(H.C. = the Homecoming Dance)

The power was out at our house for quite a while.  We had the front door and windows open because the house got hot.  Then all of a sudden the dog just started barking out of control.  Then all I heard was someone running down the street to jump in a car.  Then I saw the sign on the front porch.  

From the Craft Room and Other Cool Things:
Lately my jewelry can be found in many spots around the house.  One being in both halves of this box, see below.


Or in the tray that sits underneath the box seen above that sits on the entry way table in my living room.  Of all places.  See below...



Some pieces are on the back of my medicine cabinet in the master bathroom.  

Not much is actually in my jewelry box now.
I think because I keep in our closet.
Why do I keep it in the closet?
Because several years ago and at another house, we had two break ins.  I lost pretty much all of my jewelry, with the exception of a piece of two in a drawer the "bright" robbers missed. 

I never had super expensive jewelry.  I have a couple nice pieces, but I wear them all the time.  The other pieces were things I had before I got married or things my husband bought me.  Things with lots of sentimental value.  Lots of sentimental value.
Thankfully the robbers didn't find my wedding ring in the jewelry box.  I put it in there because I lost the center stone and a couple of the side stones.  I decided to stop wearing it when people would stop me in a panic to tell me I was missing stones in my ring.  

It happened a few times.  

Who knew so many people were looking at my wedding ring.

Needless to say, I put the ring in a different place until we could get it fixed.  

Since I really do not use my jewelry box, and since I really do not have expensive pieces, and since I like to be able to see what I have so I can coordinate my jewelry with my outfit,....

and since my jewelry always gets twisted up in the boxes and trays.

I need to come up with a new way to store my jewelry.

My SIL has one of these on a wall in her bedroom and she loves it.


In fact there are lots of ways you can fancy the pegboards up to make them match any decor....

Like this one.

Or this....

BUT,....

In an effort to NOT copy what my SIL has, and 
simply because I want to do something different, I have been on a quest to find that so called something different.

Here are few things I have found.....










I LOVE The rake above 
and the spoons and strainers below.








Some of those ideas were pretty crazy.
In fact, some take repurposing to a whole new level.

My favorite are the ones that use a towel bar.

As it turns out, I have one towel bar in my bathroom that might work. 

Take a look below.


No, my bathroom walls are not bright yellow.

The camera just does not do them justice.

Along one wall in my bathroom there are two towel bars.

One I could use for towels.

The one on the right.

Then the one on the left, I could use for jewelry.

OR.....

I have this space between the mirrors in my bathroom that I could hang another towel bar.  

OR do the rake thing, and hang one, two, or three rakes to hang my jewelry from.

I like the rake idea.

What do you think?

Time to hunt down some old rakes....


From the Heart and Spirit:

President Ezra Taft Benson (1899–1994) gave us an important reminder as we seek to be born again and become like our Savior Jesus Christ:
“We must be careful, as we seek to become more and more godlike, that we do not become discouraged and lose hope. Becoming Christlike is a lifetime pursuit and very often involves growth and change that is slow, almost imperceptible. The scriptures record remarkable accounts of men whose lives changed dramatically, in an instant, as it were: Alma the Younger, Paul on the road to Damascus, Enos praying far into the night, King Lamoni. Such astonishing examples of the power to change even those steeped in sin give confidence that the Atonement can reach even those deepest in despair.
“But we must be cautious as we discuss these remarkable examples. Though they are real and powerful, they are the exception more than the rule. For every Paul, for every Enos, and for every King Lamoni, there are hundreds and thousands of people who find the process of repentance much more subtle, much more imperceptible. Day by day they move closer to the Lord, little realizing they are building a godlike life. They live quiet lives of goodness, service, and commitment. They are like the Lamanites, who the Lord said ‘were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not.’ (3 Ne. 9:20)” (“A Mighty Change of Heart,” Ensign, Oct. 1989, 5).
From the Kitchen:

Pumpkin Cheesecake Snickerdoodle Cookies

Ingredients:
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Instructions:

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.  Set aside.  In a mixer, beat together the butter and sugars on medium high speed until fluffy, about two minutes.

Blend in pumpkin puree, beat in egg and then add vanilla.  Slowly add dry ingredients on low speed just until combined.  Cover and chill dough for an hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your baking sheets with parchment paper.  In a small bowl, combine the sugar and spices for the coating and set aside.

To make the cookies, take a tablespoon of the cookie batter.  Flatten it like a pancake and place a teaspoon of the cream cheese in center.  Form another tablespoon of the cookie batter into a flat pancake shape and place on top of the cream cheese.  Pinch the edges together sealing in the cream cheese and roll into a ball.  Roll in the cinnamon sugar coating and place on the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart.

Repeat until the dough is gone and flatten the cookie dough balls with a heavy bottomed glass or measuring cup.

Bake the cookies for 10-15 minutes or until the tops start to crack.  Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack.  Enjoy!

Note:

If you can't find the pumpkin spice cream cheese, make the cream cheese filling by blending 8 oz. cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla together.  Chill for an hour.


From the Schmidt's:

We made it to church today!

WITH KEVIN!!!

We were a few minutes late, and had to sit in the back, but WE MADE IT!!!!

We went out yesterday too.

Kevin and I had a little adventure of our own.

Spent some time with each other and made a visit or two.
It was good to get out.

HOT!

But good.

Right after we walked in the door at home, Danielle walked in.
She spent some time, and we planned to play a game or two, but we decided to first run an errand.

When we got back we played a round of Settlers of Catan. That was fun.  We set up and started to play Ticket to Ride, but right in the middle of it the power went out.

We got a rain storm like no other yesterday.

In fact, the TV News crews were walking the streets of our neighborhood talking to people who were out cleaning up their yards.  That isn't something we see every day.  News crews.

One poor man had his trampoline thrown over his fence and half of the shingles on his roof lift off his house.

Thankfully our home did not experience any damage.

It's like a tornado when these storms hit around here.
We call them mircobursts.  There is no rhyme or reason to which house gets hit, but if you are in the path of the storm look out.

You should see the streets of our neighborhood.  There are leaves and debris everywhere.  There were at least four trees uprooted at our church when Danielle and I drove past and through the church parking lot last night.  Thankfully none of them hit the building itself.  That is a huge relief.

When we were getting ready to leave the church building today after the meetings we stopped and talked to the wife of another Bishop in our building.  She is such an awesome lady.  We miss them in our ward.  It was nice to meet her parents as we chit chatted a bit.  Kevin wanted to go say hello to our Bishop before we left.  So, we rolled on over towards his office.  Before too long we were pulled into his office and again he asked what he could do to help us.  That man is amazing.

Believe me, we welcome help.  But, we are doing okay.
Sure, things get tough some times, but we expect that.  We are working through that, and some days we do better then others.  It's just going to take some time to adjust.

While we were in his office he mentioned that he came across an old Sacrament program from December of 2008.
Inside the program it showed that Kevin and I spoke in Sacrament that day and our topic was Finding Joy in the Journey.

We all thought that was funny.  I guess the Lord was letting us know some 7 years ago about some of the things we are experiencing now.  Funny how that works sometimes, isn't it??

Honestly, I was more surprised by the date.

If that program was from December of 2008, then we have been in this area for 7 years, because we moved in about a year before we spoke that Sunday in December.  I had no idea it has been that long.  Time flies.

I still cannot believe it has been that long.
How we have made it through 7 years here is amazing to me.
A lot has happened since then.  We had a son graduate from high school, go on a mission, come home from a mission.  Now we have a second son currently serving a mission.  A daughter move out to live on her own.  Another daughter graduate Elementary School, Junior High, and is now a Junior in High School.  She also fell out of a tree and broke both of her arms too.  I broke both of my arm, just not falling out of a tree.  I was disobeying my mother when she told me I couldn't roller skate on Sunday.  I did it anyway and because of that, broke my arms.  See what happens when you disobey your parents and do not keep the Sabbath Day holy. 

 I still have trough NOT doing things on Sunday that I shouldn't do.  It's just so hard to get everything done on a Saturday when you work during the week, I am only one person, and I can only do so much in a day.  I just cannot seem to do it as well as I would like to, and now that Kevin is in a spot that he need certain things when he needs them.  Like medications or whatever.  

I will say this....I do see a HUGE difference in my daily life when I do keep the Sabbath day holy.  Things seem to fall into place easier, I feel less stressed, and there is a peace that I feel during the week that only comes when I do what I know to be right.  

Again, it's something I need to get better at. 
Something I need to work on and make a priority in my life.  As well as pray that certain things will not happen causing me to have to go out on a Sunday too.

Enough about that.

All in all, this has been a good weekend.

A busy one, but a good one.

I hope you all have had a great weekend too.

Take care my friends and we will talk again soon.

From the Missionary:

We need your help!
Curtis
I mean, 
Elder Schmidt
has a birthday coming up.
We want him to beat out the other Elder's who have
received many many birthday cards on their birthdays.

Please either send a letter or a card to 
the address for Elder Schmidt on the right side of my blog

or

let me know if you want to get your letter or card to a member of his family so we can forward them all in one big package.

We appreciate your help.


Quote of the Day:
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...