Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A little this and that....

Two Things I am Grateful For:
1)  That I made it through work today.  I've been so sick since Saturday night.  Lexi was generous enough to share her chest cold with me.  Ha Ha.  

2)  My kids who voluntarily offer the figurative shirt off their back for their siblings.  I love that my kids have each other's back.  That is awesome.  

From the Camera:
It was tie dye day at school so Lexi wore the awesome shirt she made this summer.  She did a great job on it.  I know who I will get to tie dye shirts for me from now on.

From the Craft Room and Other Cool Things:

As I mentioned before in a previous post, I've been trying to decorate my desk at work.  I took in some cool frames I've had lying around the house that I intend to use for an upcoming "event".  I figure I can just bring the frames home when the time comes.  I also took this 

to work as well.  This was also purchased some time ago to use for that upcoming "event".  I thought this would be cool to put small canning jars on filled with my office supplies and things.  

On the wall behind my desk I put up a coat rack.  I use it for my sweaters and as a place to put my purse.  The rack also has a small bin or basket that I can put things I need to take home in.  

To one side of the coat rack, I decided to put up a chalkboard.  Not just an ordinary chalkboard, but one I still need to finish making.  I picked up chalkboard fabric some time ago, and I still need to use it.  My wall at work is a perfect place for it.

Today I started cutting out my mini banner I intend to hang up near the chalkboard.  Here are a couple examples of the banners I like...

I would LOVE to make one out of fabric, but I just do not have the time or the patience right now to get it done.  Mine is a free printable banner.  I printed it over the weekend, and I cut it out today.  Tomorrow or over the weekend, depending on when I feel better, I intend to mod podge it so it almost looks like vinyl or something other than paper.  I have twine or some other cording that I will string the piece on too.  I'll take a photo of it when it's done.  Nothing too crazy.  Then if I need to throw it away later, I won't have a little fit about it.  If you know what I mean?  

I'll show you my chalkboard when it's done too.  I just need to get all the elements together and find the time to get it done.  I have a couple quotes picked out, but my favorite is:

"Don't give up what you want most 
for what you want at the moment."

Kevin says it all the time to the kids and it has become our favorite quote.  So, I though that would be a good one to put on my chalkboard.  Keep watching for my little projects.  

From the Heart and Spirit:
“The Savior teaches that we will have tribulation in the world, but we should ‘be of good cheer’ because He has ‘overcome the world’ (John 16:33). His Atonement reaches and is powerful enough not only to pay the price for sin but also to heal every mortal affliction. The Book of Mormon teaches that ‘he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people’ (Alma 7:11; see also 2 Nephi 9:21).
“He knows of our anguish, and He is there for us. Like the Good Samaritan in His parable, when He finds us wounded at the wayside, He binds up our wounds and cares for us (see Luke 10:34). Brothers and sisters, the healing power of His Atonement is for you, for us, for all.”
“Lucifer whispers that life’s not fair and that if the gospel were true, we would never have problems or disappointments. … The gospel isn’t a guarantee against tribulation. That would be like a test with no questions. Rather, the gospel is a guide for maneuvering through the challenges of life with a sense of purpose and direction.”
—Sheri L. Dew, “This Is a Test. It Is Only a Test,” The Best of Women’s Conference (2000), 134–35
From the Kitchen:


Apple Nachos

Slice apples and dip them in lemon juice.
Spread them out on a platter and then drizzle them with caramel, chocolate syrup, or hot fudge, and top with your choice of the following: nuts, peanut butter, marshmallow cream, coconut, brown sugar, yogurt, cinnamon sugar, cream cheese, nuts, or chocolate chips!!!  Doesn't this sound divine?  Give them a try! 
From the Schmidt's:
Kevin had a busy day today.  So busy he fell asleep on the way home.  He had a doctor's appointment early this morning and then his first therapy session this afternoon.  After the session Kyle swung by my office to pick me up.  As I was driving home Kevin kept nodding off.  The therapist told him that the things they were doing in the hospital were just baby steps.  They intend to pick up the pace more and each session will last at least two hours each.  He has four of them a week now.  The therapist said they intend to get him up and walking, but until the nerve in his back is healed walking will be difficult.  We still have a long road ahead of us.  

Kevin and I had a long discussion about things Tuesday night.  We talked about him getting his medical records and having them reviewed by someone to determine if this was just a freak accident or some kind of mishap by the doctors or nurses.  I told him that he needs to know for future reference.  What if this kind of thing could happen again.  Irregardless of any possible legal issue (FYI: we do not intend to pursue that no matter what we find out), he needs to know for his own peace of mind.  That way if he needs to alert other doctors of potential issues any time he has a future surgery we will know.  Kevin agreed that he does need to know.  Kevin also was seeing what this whole thing has put his family through.  I do not care what this is putting us through.  I had to remind him that I didn't marry him for just the good times.  I married him and made a covenant to be here through EVERYTHING, and I intend to do that.  Sure, things can be a little harry from time to time, and I can complain some too.  I am far from perfect.  I make mistakes.  BUT, I know that if the shoe was on the other foot, Kevin would rally around me too.  After all, that is some of what makes for a long lasting, happy marriage.  It's not about who gives what.  Who cares about who is giving more of this or that.  It's about doing everything you can for the person you love.  It's as simple as that.  I am no expert on relationships and I do not try to be.  What works for Kevin and I may not work for someone else.  All I know if Kevin is perfect for me and I would hope that I am perfect for him too.  28 years of marriage is something, but that is not my goal...I am trying to make it to all eternity.  28 years is nothing in comparison.  Baby steps... We have a long way to go baby!  

I'll step down off my soapbox now...

~smile~smile~

Kyle did something that totally amazed me the other day.  Without sharing the details, because they are too personal to share, I have to say Kyle will literally give the shirt off his back for his brother or sisters.  He comes across as rough and tough sometimes, but on the inside he is just a big softy.  He is coming out of his "funk" a little more each day.  He decided to go see Jose tonight.  Jose is one of the kids from the ward that is getting ready for his mission.  That young man is working hard.  I have to say, he is determined.  I love that about him.  Go Jose.  Curtis and Kyle spent some time at Jose's playing video games and just hanging out together.  It was good for all of them.  Jose is a great friend and I know Curtis misses him too.

Lexi made it back to school Tuesday.  She has history with her old volleyball coach who pretty much told her she was ditching school these past couple of days.  Trust me, she wasn't ditching.  If I could be home from work for the week to recover from this I would.  It's not good and I guess a lot of people have it right now.  I just hope it goes away soon.  I need it to go away.  I cannot be sick right now, I have too much to do.

Danielle and Kyle started classes this week.  Kyle is doing all of his classes online.  Danielle is too, with the exception of one day at the main campus per week.  She is looking to increase her hours at work and got a couple raises recently so she is happy.  I'm happy for her too.  She set aside some money to make a major purchase soon and her and I plan to schedule some time to start shopping.  Exciting!!  She has been searching online and found what she was looking for on a website that sells things out of a location in Utah.  I told her that we may be able to find something here locally, but if we had to we could make a trip to Utah one day.  IF WE HAD TOO.  Danielle and I agree the price of the item needs to come down a bit before we even consider making that kind of trip even if it is what she loves.  I just cannot see spending that kind of money for one use.  It's too much!  Anyway, I am excited to begin this process, I think.  LOL!  It will be good.  Now to just find the time to get together.  

Danielle is getting her car fixed too.  She had trouble getting all the windows down in her car.  Well, correction...they would go down, but wouldn't go back up.  She took it to a mechanic this week and got them all fixed.  Now she needs to get the air conditioning in her car fixed too.  She has been dealing with no air and bad windows all summer.  Not good.  Needless to say, we haven't seen her as much as we like to because she would literally cook to death in her car on the way over to our home.  I'm just glad she has found a way to get these things fixed so she can lock up her car when she heads over to the main campus and that her air conditioning will be fixed so she doesn't have to suffer through another hot summer.  No air conditioning in your car here in Arizona is no fun at all!  

I have to say, we have learned a lot over the past several weeks.  We have been blessed beyond comprehension and have experienced some amazing things.  Things we know we would have never had the opportunity to experience or witness had it not been for this "trial" in our lives.  We have grown so much and have come to realize that we can do hard things.  We are grateful for this trial.  (Words I never thought I would ever say)  And we are so very grateful to our Heavenly Father for helping us through this, every step of the way.  What a blessing that is!! 

Well, I should go.  Take care my friends.  We love you and appreciate all you do for us.  Your words of encouragement, your text messages, your emails, your phone calls, and everything else have been wonderful.  We couldn't make it without your love and support.  Thank you.  We will talk again soon.

From the Missionary:

What is up family??!!

This week was awesome!  The two boys, XXXXXXX and XXXX  (the name were removed to protect the new members, but here is a hint....their names are Curtis and Kyle's middle names...ironic isn't it??  I thought so.)  were baptized and I was able to confirm them on Sunday.  Best day of my mission bar none!!!!  It was such a good feeling.  After they were baptized they said that they felt good and that they felt empowered.  XXXXXXX is only 13 but he already acts like a full grown adult.  He is going to be an awesome Priesthood holder.  Our ward is doing so good lately.  When I go to church on Sunday everyone is getting along, there isn't any gossip going around (that was a little bit of a problem before) I feel a lot more comfortable with everyone and they feel a lot more comfortable around the missionaries.  They are all trying to help us out by inviting their non-member friends over to their houses for lessons and we have been helping them use Facebook to share inspiring messages with their friends.  The member missionary work here is getting unreal.  I feel like I'm in a different area this week.  It's going to be awesome to see what happens.  

So anyways, how are you guys doing?  Dad, you're home now right?  Anything interesting going on at home?  Let me know everything.  Ha Ha.  Today we're going to Central Park to play sand volleyball and ultimate frisbee.  I swear it sounds so weird to me when I say stuff like that.  I forget I'm in New York a lot.  Anyways, have an awesome week.  

Love, 

Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad
Quote of the Day:
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...