Sunday, August 2, 2015

Hello August!


Two Things I am Grateful For:

1)  Can I just tell you how amazing our Bishop, Bishopric, Relief Society, Stake, Ward, and our Extended Ward Friends have been?  Wow!  They make ALL of this so much easier to get through.  I cannot thank them enough for all they do.  They do not think they have done much, but believe me, they have done more for us then words can express!  Just having their support means the world to me.

2)  Barrow's Neurological Rehabilitation Center!  They have been nothing but amazing!

From the Camera:

Kevin wants to get good enough with his wheelchair to do this after he comes home.  

I told him that's where I might have to put my foot down.  He has an incomplete spinal cord injury.  No sense making it a complete one.  
Crazy man!!


From the Craft Room and Other Cool Things:

A DIY car kit is not the same thing as an emergency kit, and they serve different purposes.

A true emergency kit should go in the back of the trunk, including items such as band-aids, a flare gun, Neosporin, and other trauma aids. DIY car kits have non-emergency items ---but used for your own personal "emergencies," such as spilling ketchup on your shirt or a sudden headache when driving on the road.

**A DIY car kit should be in a small to medium sized container, with a zipping or buckling component to ensure the items stay inside. It can be a flimsy material bag, or a sturdy plastic container. But make sure it is small enough that it will not take up a lot of space in your back seat. The ideal size would be able to fit underneath the seat or on the floorboard.

See the items below to configure your own Car Kit according to what you think you'll need "in case of emergency."

  • Altoids (or other mint that will not be affected by temperature)
    • Gum is usually not a good "Car Kit" item because it will either lose elasticity (meaning it will dissolve quickly) after being in a hot car, or it will be hard as a rock if left in a freezing car. 
    • The only gum that could work is the type they call "pellets" or "pillows." Orbit and Eclipse have this type of gum and it comes in a container (instead of a packet).
  • Mini pack of kleenex
  • Small stack of napkins (in case the drive-thru didn't give you any)
  • Tide-To-Go pen
  • Tylenol and allergy medicine
    • Put both medications in a single pill bottle, unless they look very similar. This will save space. Plus you only need a small amount because a car kit is meant for "emergency" situations, not everyday use. 
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Floss / toothpicks
  • Pepper spray
  • Swiss Army Knife 
  • Beer and/or wine bottle opener
  • Lighter
  • $20 cash
    • Some places you go unexpectedly only take cash, or you lost your wallet and your gas tank is on empty, or whatever the case may be...always have a little cash on you for emergency situations. Not any more than $40 would be my advice. 
  • Stack of quarters
    • Mainly for tollways, but you never know when you might need some change.
  • Hand lotion
  • Ball point pen
  • Mini bottle of perfume / cologne
  • Car freshener spray 
  • Wet wipes
  • Tampon / Pad (for women)
  • Gas-X / Tums
  • Pancho
  • Old I.D. / driver's license
    • You're not supposed to have two I.Ds in your wallet, but just in case something happened and you lost your wallet or purse, you want to have an extra I.D. for security and safety reasons, especially if you have to drive somewhere and need some kind of identification in case you get pulled over. 
  • Small LED flash light
  • Pony tails and bobby pins (for women)
  • Car game or book
    • For when you are parked somewhere and waiting forever on someone to come out to the car, or the kids are getting antsy on a long drive.
  • Mini lint roller
  • Packet of AdvoCare Spark (contact me if you are looking for a seller)
    • A 5-hr Energy Shot or energy drink may perish depending on the temperature of your car. Spark is a non-perishable powder that you can put in a bottle or cup of water and it will give you mental focus. It is also packed with over 21 vitamins and minerals. Much healthier for you! 
  • Car phone charger
  • Pair of gloves (winter)
  • Hand warmers (winter)
  • Window breaker / seatbelt cutter (for a real emergencies)
    • You don't want this in the trunk of the car because it's purpose is to get you out of the car in a bad car wreck or dangerous situation that you are unable to get out of immediately.
  • Apron or adult bib
    • I don't keep one in my car kit, but MAN have there been countless times where I am eating on the go or drinking coffee and spill it on my outfit.... and many times right before a meeting! Sometimes I will wear an apron while I am driving to work and drinking my coffee, especially if I am wearing something that is white. 

Last but not least.......

After you use something in your car kit, don't forget to restock when you get home!

From the Heart and Spirit:

Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days. [D&C 64:33–34]
I am asking you this morning not to give up “for ye are laying the foundation of a great work.” That “great work” is you—your life, your future, the very fulfillment of your dreams. That “great work” is what, with effort and patience and God’s help, you can become. When days are difficult or problems seem unending, I plead with you to stay in the harness and keep pulling. You are entitled to “eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days,” but it will require your heart and a willing mind. It will require that you stay at your post and keep trying.
--Jeffrey R. Holland

From the Kitchen:


From the Schmidt's:

Wow!  What a day.
Each time I pray to my Heavenly Father and my prayers are not only heard, but answers come in ways I would have never dreamed of just blows me away...each. and. every. time!  

Lexi and I went to church alone together today.  We only stayed for Sacrament because we fully intended to get to the hospital to spend some time with Kevin early this afternoon, but as we were driving to the hospital I got a call from the Executive Secretary asking if I could meet with the Bishop today at 2.  When I got there we talked about several things.  Then he showed me a video.  It was totally amazing.  The just of our meeting was that they want to help in any and every way that we will let them help with Kevin and the care he needs when he comes home.  I cannot tell you how awesome that is.  It means everything to me.

We stayed to spend time with Kevin for quite a while today.  We had a good visit.  Kevin was worn out by the time we got there after his therapy session, not to mention that they have him going non-stop.  I think he just needed some time to rest.  In fact, he just text me to tell me that he was in bed before 10 p.m. tonight.  I'm glad.  He really needed to get some sleep.  

The other day.  Now, I don't know why I am telling you this, but it has been on my mind, so here goes....

The other day I was talking with someone about someone who had just won the lottery.  It was a friend of a friend that won the large sum of money, but not the jackpot.  Enough money to help this young couple get through the lose of a job and the birth of a new baby.  We were thrilled to hear their story.  Then we all got to talking about what we would do with the jackpot if we won.  I told the one girl that I would use the money to help people.  I use to talk with another friend about what we would do with extra money and she told me about a story of an older couple that had gone two years without hot water in their home because they could not afford to buy a new water heater.  This friend of mine took some extra cash she had received and bought this elderly couple the new water heater and had her some install the water heater in the couple's home.  I told this other friend that I would just use the money to help others, and the friend said she would establish a foundation and train people, and then she quoted this saying, if you give a man a fish he eats for a day, but if you teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime.  While this is very true.  I also know some highly educated people that sometime just need some financial help to get to a place in their lives so they can help themselves again.  Not everyone that is poor happens to also be uneducated.  In fact, I find it to be quite the opposite sometimes.  

So, the moral of this little story is that we need to learn to not judge a book by it's cover, if you will.  Take some time to really get to know the person and their situation before you judge.  Believe me, I too need to remember this.  Sometimes it is so easy to just say that someone is this or that, but I promise you that once you get to know the person you will find that things are never quite as they seem to be. 

It's been a long day.  I should go.  Take care my friends and we will talk again soon.

From the Missionary:

When I spoke with Elder Schmidt's Mission President the other day he said his wife had photos she would get out to us on Monday. More to come.  

Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...