Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Weird Wednesday!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) My managers at work.  They are awesome.

2) My oldest son!  He is such a huge blessing!  He is awesome! 

Goals for the Day:

1) Work
2) Get Gas for my car
3) Run errands
4) Work with Kevin to reach out to his doctor's
5) Possibly reschedule my doctor's appointment tomorrow. 
6) Dinner
7) Run Lexi to Mutual
8) Clean
9) Laundry
10) Add money to SRP
11) Get things ready for work tomorrow

From the Camera:

Before Curtis left on his mission to New York I told him if he got the chance to get a picture of the bull statue.
The bull statue is one of the most iconic images in New York, and it is a Wall Street icon symbolizing Wall Street and the Financial District.  The sculpture was created following the 1987 stock market crash as a symbol of the "strength and power of the American people." 
The statue originally was placed as a gift by the artist in front of the New York Stock Exchange as a Christmas gift to the people of New York.  So many people stopped to look at the statue that the police seized the sculpture and placed it into an impound lot.  The public outcry led the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation to install it two blocks south of the Exchange in the plaza at Bowling Green with a ceremony on December of 1989.


From the Heart:

Next time you finish a workout at the gym, take an extra minute or two to wipe down the equipment you were using so it will be clean for the next person to use.

Benefits:

You are doing your part to stop germs from spreading and keeping the gym a sanitary place to go.

Step It Up:

If you notice someone else didn't wipe their equipment down, go over and do it for them. Always put weights or exercise equipment back where they belong when you are finished using them. Let someone else use the equipment you were going to use ahead of you.

Keep It Simple:

Bring your own towel and keep your equipment clean while using it.
From the Kitchen:

Country Chicken Casserole
2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed – not peeled, boiled and mashed
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded, cheddar cheese
1 28.8 oz. can french-fried onions
1 tsp. salt
Combine ingredients and spread into the bottom of a 9X13 dish or comparable oval baking dish.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts – cooked and cubed
1 20-oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 10 oz. bag frozen, mixed vegetables – thawed and drained
1 tsp. ground mustard
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
Combine ingredients and spread over potato mixture. Sprinkle with additional cup of shredded
cheddar cheese. Bake in oven for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly, serve and enjoy.

From the Spirit:

One of my favorite scriptures also happens to be one of, if not the, shortest scriptures in the standard works.  Jesus wept. (John 11:35).  To me, it truly shows how much He loves us.  It shows that He has truly known sorrow, and it is because of that, because of the pain and sorrow that He experienced while in His mortal ministry, that He was able to atone for our sins.  He knows what you are going through, and He knows how to comfort us, because He has been there; He has felt the pains and sorrows of this mortal experience.  May we all be forever grateful that because He once wept, He can dry our tears too.

From the Schmidt's:

I said this week was a stressful one, it just got more stressful.  When I said that, I thought this would be a stressful week just dealing with the newness of the stimulator, appointments and pain meds adjustments, not to mention the anxiety of it all too.  But no.  Things have just gone into warp speed because Kevin has to go back in for surgery.  They have to redo the placement of the spinal nerve stimulator.  Kevin saw the surgeon at the beginning of this week and they basically said call us if his shortness of breath gets worse and the pain gets more intense.  For all he knew everything was status quo and he needed to work on getting his infection reduced.  Out of nowhere he gets a call today from the surgeon's office.  The scheduler.  No call from Anyone to explain why just this scheduler calling him to set up the procedure again.  Kevin said they had to reposition things is all the scheduler would say.  So, needless to say, Kevin has several calls into the doctor's offices.  He needs to know if he should stop taking the steroid he is on, and he also needs to call the pain doctor to change his prescriptions again, since he will have to go another week without the stimulator because his pain level is going to increase for sure.  I also need to reschedule my doctor's appointment tomorrow and schedule a day off or two for this next surgery, and hope that I can get the time off on such short notice.  This is what I mean when I say life as we know it has taken yet another turn down a road we have yet to travel.  

Poor Kevin.  I got text messages from Kevin about all of this about 30-45 minutes before I had to leave work.  Then the last message he sent me he told me to call him as soon as I could.  That meant when Kyle picked me up from work.  So, as soon as I got in the car I called Kevin.  He explained the rest of what he had been told by the doctors.  Apparently they did an x-ray of Kevin's back on Monday when he had his post-op appointment.  I guess the radiologist read the x-ray and they found something that requires them to re-do the surgery to move the leads to his nerve stimulator.  
How does this stuff happen?  We couldn't make this stuff up even if we wanted to.  We are baffled by the craziness of this whole thing!  I told Kevin he should call the doctor's office and tell them they really should have someone call to explain the reason why you need to have surgery again if they are expecting you to show up for the procedure their scheduler is trying to set-up.  For all we knew the scheduler could have got her wires crossed and could have been setting up the initial surgery all over again.  You've gotta laugh about this stuff.  That's all you can do.  Needless to say, we are scrambling to get things situated around here and things done.  Funny how your whole world can change in a moments notice, isn't it?  

It's all good!  

This is just a bump in the road and things will be better once this is over.  I'm calling the temples now and putting Kevin's names on the prayer rolls.  He is going to need all the help he can get, and we want him to have all the help.  We want to have those on this side of the Vail and on the other side, running to his aide and side just like Elder Holland talked about in his conference talk, with their chariots a blazing to come to his aide.  I love that thought.  What an amazing thing it is to invoke the power of prayer, isn't it?  I love it!  And I love not only conversing with the Lord, but being spoken to and learning things in that way.  Prayer is so awesome!  

Well, time to go folks!  Lots to do.  Lots to prepare for.  I'm hoping they will not be able to get our medical insurance to approve things in time to do the surgery this Friday.  I hope we are given the weekend to get ready for the this and Kevin goes in on Monday.  That is my hope.  I just think he needs to give this medication some time to fight the so-called issues he is having so he is at his best before they open him up again.  

Kevin said he actually sat down and wrote letters to the five of us with this last surgery.  He wanted to leave these letters for us just in case he didn't make it through the surgery.  I hate it when he talks like that.  I get so scared thinking I am going to be left alone to take care of our family all by myself.  I know I will never really be alone.  I always have my Heavenly Father and my children will be around from time to time.  I understand getting ready for every possible scenario.  I do.  BUT, this that one is just too hard to even consider.  Sure, I know eventually the time will come and I may have to deal with losing him at some point.  I guess I always thought Kevin would die before I would.  I'm not sure why I think that, but I do, it could certainly go the other way too.  I still can't believe I am blogging about this stuff.  Yikes!

Here is something funny the kids said and it happens to be about death....

The girls and I ran to pick Kyle up from weight lifting this evening and we stopped at the gas station.  When Kyle got back in the car he said, "Guess what?  I am so glad I don't have to take you to work tomorrow".  You see, Kyle has been taking me to work every day this week so he could get Kevin to his various doctor's appointments.  He's tired of driving me.  So, I reminded Kyle that his Dad might have to have pre-op testing done prior to the surgery and he may end up having to take me.  To which Kyle said, "If that happens I just might kill myself and you can bury my body in the backyard like a dead animal."  He said that because he is just done with the drives to Phoenix in rush hour traffic.  Frankly, I don't blame him.  I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to either.  I told Kyle he couldn't be buried in the backyard because the house wasn't zoned as a cemetery.  To which Lexi said, without missing a beat, "Don't worry Kyle, I'll bury you in the backyard."  Like it was no big deal or something we do all the time.  I laughed so hard.  She said it so nonchalantly.  It was great!  That girl makes me laugh.

I'll keep you posted on Kevin's surgery.  More to come on that for sure!

Well, that's all folks!   I need to get going.  Take care and we will talk again soon.  

From the Missionary:


Hey Everyone,

Hope you guys had a good Fourth of July.  Here it was just like home except way louder.  Everyone here loves firecrackers so as we were walking we would get M-150 thrown at us and stuff.  I kicked one back at a kid.  At night is when the big ones were going like M-1000 and bigger.  They don't mess around here.  Fireworks went into the morning a little bit even.  Monday we were walking around and found an M-150 so that will be fun.  (Don't worry we are going to the middle of no where to do it.)  Oh yeah, and this Fourth was filled with food!!!  We went to a members house and she normally feeds the entire district of 10 people but only 4 of us showed up so it was bad when she pulled trays and trays and trays of food out for us.  Oh and they were Sisters who had been sick that morning.  And one of them is a vegetarian.  I ate 7 hamburgers, 5 hot dogs, a ton of Mac and Cheese, 2 pieces of barbecue chicken, 3 cookies, and 2 pieces of cherry pie.  When we left, Elder Holtom went looking for ipecac.  He was determined to clean himself out.  We couldn't find it so I told him that magnesium citrate would clean him out.  So, long story short he was on the toilet for a while making a mess.  Oh, I forgot somewhere in there looking for the ipecac, I threw up out of no where.  Anyways some other stuff that went on this week.....The sisters handed someone over to us that should have been handed off a while ago.  He is super awesome!  His wife is a member and his daughter is nine and wants to be baptized so he said that he wants it to be a family thing.  His name is XXXXXX and he is so cool.  He had awesome questions about us and what we believe.  He actually thought we were like 30 years old.  He flipped out when we said we were just 19 and 21.  We are going to be meeting with him like 2 times a week because he wants to learn as much as possible so he can help his daughter.  Another person we found was named XXX.  He ordered a bible from us and told us he just started going to church again at a Christian Church and he is loving it.  He is one of the most sane people I've met here.  Next time we meet with him we are going to give him a copy of the Book of Mormon and hopefully invite him to church.  Those are the people that really stood out to me this week.  I feel like I'm starting to better recognize the smaller miracles that happen every day, like when we miss a train and end up contacting someone on the platform.  I feel more and more that I'm making a bigger impact on people's life than I had thought before.  It's so cool.  I love missionary work!  It's so perfect and awesome.  Anyways, I will send some pictures and videos and stuff showing the random stuff that happens here in the Bronx.  I hope you all have a great week. :)

Love,

Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad


Quote of the Day:




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...