Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Week one, Done!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Good news on my husband!  No blood clots!  

2) My neighbor/Relief Society President.  She takes good care of me. She text me early this morning letting me know that my youngest could go hang out at her house if she wanted and she was bringing over dinner tonight.  I usually don't have meals brought in when people ask just because I never know when we will be home and I have picky children too.  How nice is that???  She is awesome!
From the Camera:

My silly kids.  I miss the two of them goofing off together.
Not too much longer and Curtis will be home.  

From the Craft Room and Other Cool Things:

Now why didn't I think of that????

From the Spirit and Heart:

~Scriptures are like packets of light that illuminate our minds and give place to guidance and inspiration from on high. 

~They can become the key to open the channel to communion with our Father in Heaven and His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ.

~The scriptures provide the strength of authority to our declarations when they are cited correctly. 

~They can become stalwart friends that are not limited by geography or calendar. They are always available when needed. 

~Their use provides a foundation of truth that can be awakened by the Holy Ghost. 

~Learning, pondering, searching, and memorizing scriptures is like filling a filing cabinet with friends, values, and truths that can be called upon anytime, anywhere in the world.  (I LOVE THIS!!!)

~Great power can come from memorizing scriptures. To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship. It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change. 

~Pondering a scripture like that gives great direction to life. The scriptures can form a foundation of support.They can provide an incredibly large resource of willing friends who can help us. A memorized scripture becomes an enduring friend that is not weakened with the passage of time.

~Pondering a passage of scripture

 can be a key to unlock revelation and the guidance and inspiration of the Holy Ghost. 

~Scriptures can calm an agitated soul, giving peace, hope, and a restoration of confidence in one’s ability to overcome the challenges of life. 

~They have potent power to heal emotional challenges when there is faith in the Savior. They can accelerate physical healing.

~Scriptures can communicate different meanings at different times in our life, according to our needs. A scripture that we may have read many times can take on nuances of meaning that are refreshing and insightful when we face a new challenge in life.

From the Kitchen:

Easy Homemade Jello Ice Cream

This is an easy-go-to recipe for fruit ice cream.  It's full of flavor and easy to do.  

Easy Homemade Jello (flavored)  Ice Cream-

 1 (6 oz.) pkg. Jello
2. cup boiling water
3 cups sugar 
1 qt. milk (4 cups) 
3 eggs, beaten
1 pt. whipping cream fruit 

Dissolve Jello in boiling water, then cool (not in refrigerator.) Mix other ingredients with cooled Jello; put in ice cream freezer using ice and salt to freeze. Always sets up.

Suggested flavors:  
 Strawberry Jello- 1 box frozen berries,  2 bananas
 Raspberry- 1 box frozen raspberries
 Peach-fresh peaches
 Lime-can crushed pineapple    
 Orange- 1 can orange juice and increase sugar to 4 cups

From the Schmidt's:

I need one of these right now.  Sure, I can smile but I find my smile is a little crooked lately.  
They ran all the tests on Kevin.  Blood work, two ultrasounds, and a CT Scan.  His white blood cell count is high.  He has a slight UTI, but no word on the possible blood clot or anything else yet.  They said the Hospital Doctor would be in to see Kevin in the morning.  So we wait.  Kevin missed all of his therapy sessions today, and thinks he will have to miss his outing to go and tour a gym won't happen tomorrow since he now has an I.V. in for antibiotics.  He seemed a little bummed tonight when I talked to him.  He also has an hour long appointment with the Neuropsychologist tomorrow.  I think Kevin is just tired of having to rely on everyone else for everything.  Which I don't blame him.  He has been through so much over the course of the last couple of weeks.  Poor guy.    
wouldn't that be cool?  A girl can have a dream can't she?  When I read this I just laughed.  How do you think the author of that quote came up with that number, 6 million?  It's kind of a random amount don't you think?   Anyway, this just struck me as funny.
I needed a little comic relief.  This weekend was a little rough.  Thankfully all is well now.  I had a flash back of fear today when I reviewed my calendar and schedule at work over the next few days.  I signed up for a Mammogram to be done in the mobile unit that comes to my office each year.  I'm not ready for the "squish test", but I've put this off for long enough.  You see, my Mom had breast cancer and is a breast cancer survivor and because of that family history, I should have had my first Mammogram about 8 years ago.  I've put it off because I didn't want to go through any of that.  My biggest fear is, of course, that they will find something.  Then what about a false positive.  The whole thing freaks me out a bit.  Hence the reason for my delay for the squish test.  

 I moved all of my other doctor's appointments to later in the year and for after Kevin is home from the Rehab Center just because he needs my full attention right now.  I kind of wish I would have moved the Mammogram too.  But, we will keep that appointment, I guess.  

Now that Kevin has been at the Rehabilitation Center for a week, they do these weekly round table meetings with everyone involved with his care while he is there.  Today they said they anticipate another 3-4 weeks of inpatient care and they LOVE his attitude and desire to work hard.  I thought that was awesome!  I don't think Kevin is too thrilled about being there that long, which I don't blame him.  It's like living in a fish bowl and he is the fish.  The staff has seen parts of Kevin he never wanted them to see, nothing is private anymore.  The poor guy!  I have to say, having Kevin gone has been hard on all of us.  My kids have been awesome though.  Yesterday I came home and the entire guest bathroom was cleaned up which was an awesome surprise.  Then last week I came home to the family room picked up and most of the kitchen clean.  We have so much to do around the house to get ready for Kevin to come home.  The hospital sent me home with homework.  I have to measure every doorway, hallway, entryway, threshold, step, landing, and draw out the floor plan of our entire home, as well as the bedroom, and both bathrooms.  My drawings are done, but I still need to measure things.  I'll get that done soon.  I think we are going to have to build a ramp for all the doors into the house, even though there is just an inch or two difference between the house and the concrete slab near each entry.  They want that to be even, and if it's not, they want a ramp with a landing built to make that happen.  Lots to do!  Not to mention all the rearranging of furniture too.  It all just makes my head hurt thinking about it.  So, we are doing a little at a time.  Looks like it's going to be another 3 to 4 weeks before Kevin is ready to come home.  The hospital staff has these "round tables" on each patient in their rehab unit where everyone involved in the patients care come together to discuss the case and discuss length of care, client attitude, and anything else.  Today that happened for the first time for Kevin.  That's when it was determined that it will probably be another 3 to 4 weeks, but they loved his attitude and his desire to work hard with everything.  Kevin really is the best patient in the place and they tell each other that too.  I guess one of the techs came in and told him everyone was talking about how awesome he was, except when he is hurting.  Then he gets a little cranky, but they all know that's to be expected and take it in stride.  

Kevin needs clean clothes again.  So, we will be heading up again tonight with a couple clean pairs of sweats.  The kind without elastic in the legs.  You know, we all take a lot of things for granted.  I am learning there are a lot of things that function they way they do because of your back and spinal cord.  I am also learning that the very basic of your bodily functions can be changed in a moments notice when your back and/or spinal cord are injured.  A girl could get completely overwhelmed if you stop and think about it all.  Thank goodness I am just too darn busy to be able to really stop for too long.  I know there have been times when I have caught Kevin thinking about it all way too much.  I worry about him being there alone.  I worry about what he is not telling us and where his head is.  Thankfully, they keep him so busy we can barely get a visit in some days.  I'm also grateful that Kevin understands just how much these folks are vested in his care.  They really are.  It's totally amazing to me to see just how awesome each person has been with him.  

I will say this, Looking back at the day Kevin had surgery...
That surgeon must have thought I was really stupid, because it just wasn't registering that Kevin was as bad off as he turned out to be.  When the doctor mentioned that he couldn't feel his legs, I just thought it was totally temporary.  Then when the doctor came back and tried to explain it all again to me when they decided to go back in and I still wasn't getting it totally must have just frustrated that doctor.  I heard his words, but it wasn't computing.  I knew I needed to call the temple and get the only help I knew to get, but I really thought this was not going to be long term.  Even after the doctor sent his surgical nurse to come talk to me, I still heard her words and understood a little better, but I still thought Kevin was going to be okay.  I should have known things were not good when they pulled Danielle and I out to their little room to talk to me each time, that it was not good news, because they talked to everyone else in the waiting room right where they were all sitting.  That should have been my first clue.  Then when the surgical nurse also came out to talk to me, that should have been my second clue because they don't normally do that.  I don't think it really set in that this was a huge deal until Kevin told me they wanted him to go to the Rehab Center for about 3 weeks.  Then it started to sink in.  And even then, it still took a bit.  I think it all started to hit when before I had a conversation with Kevin about me stepping aside to allow other family members to take over his care.  I was feeling stepped over and like certain individuals were trying to make me feel like I didn't matter at all, and they were going to do whatever they wanted no matter what I thought about it.  They had no intentions of ever asking me what I thought or wanted.  So, when they asked in front of Kevin I just answered with a quick no.  It just came out, I tried to let my answer come out without tipping them off that I was not happy, but I just couldn't do it.  Believe me, I am mad at myself for letting them know they got to me, because that was their real goal...to get at me.  The whole thing just bothered me.  If the shoe was on the other foot, I would never act the way they were acting.  I also think that we were dealing with enough right now and we didn't need that kind of thing, on top of everything else.  
 Thankfully Kevin set me straight and let me know that he didn't care what everyone else tried to do and that the kids and I were the most important people in his life.  I love that man!  Even when I should be the one helping him through these rough times,  somehow he is still there to help me too.  

As I mentioned in a previous post, we all have had our moments with this.  One time when I went to see Kevin I could tell he wasn't dealing well with everything and I told him to just cry and let it out.  He was allowed to do that and he needed to get it all out.  I know there are going to be more moments like that as time goes by.  One thing I have noticed is that Kevin and I are working even closer together than ever before, even though he is 30 miles away from home.  That is the silver lining of this whole thing.  

I should go.  I can barely keep my eyes open right now, and I still have a few errands to run and get up to the hospital too.  Take care my friends and we will talk soon.  

From the Missionary:

The Manhattan New York Temple was the second temple built in the state of New York, following the Palmyra New York Temple.  
The Manhattan New York Temple was the second high-rise temple of the Church, following the Hong Kong China Temple.  
The Manhattan New York Temple was the third temple built from an existing building, following the Vernal Utah Temple and the Copenhagen Denmark Temple.  The temple is virtually a building within a building, which is completely soundproofed from the hustle and bustle of the City.  The original building was a multi-purpose stake center build in 1976.
The cornerstone of the Manhattan New York Temple is located within the multi-purpose building but on an exterior wall of the temple.
The joint announcement of the Boston Massachusetts Temple and the White Plains New York Temple (later called the Harrison New York Temple) replaced the Church's previously announced plans to build a temple in Hartford, Connecticut, to serve both New York and New England.  
President Gordon B. Hinckley read from his journal at a member meeting, testifying of the inspiration of the Lord in locating a temple for the New York City area saints in Manhattan, noting that the efforts of the previous six years to build a temple in Harrison, New York, had repeatedly met the strong opposition of neighbors.
Door handles shaped like the Statue of Liberty torch are found throughout the Manhattan New York Temple received exceptional media coverage, including international coverage, largely due to its location in one of the most influential cities of the world.  The widely publicized public open house of the Manhattan New York Temple was attended by over 53,000 guests.

Temple History:
In a special regional conference held in New York City on March, 24, 2002, President Gordon B. Hinckley told the attending congregation that he expected a temple to be completed in New York within two years.  Less than five months later, the Church's announcement of a temple to be build in Manhattan made good on that promise.  
In a clever adaption, the Church gutted and soundproofed the upper and lowers floors of its existing multi-function Manhattan building, located across from the Lincoln Center, to secure a location for the temple in the city.  The original building was completed in 1976 during a transition period for the area from rough to ritzy.  This high-rise approach to temple building was first pioneered in Hong Kong where real estate costs are exorbitant. 
In the decade preceding the temple dedication, New York area membership increased dramatically, tripling to 42,000.  The rapid growth was largely attributed to immigration and aggressive proselytizing in black and Latino communities.  Over 53,000 visitors from all walks of life and religious backgrounds attended the 40-minute tour during the month long open house.  Though some mild sidewalk protesting was seen in the form of anti-Mormon literature, public reaction was highly positive, and media coverage was worldwide.  Prior to the temple dedication, a cast of 2,400 New York youth gathered at Radio City Music Hall to perform"A Standard to the Nations", a two-hour jubilee performance full of song and dance, which briefly illustrated the history of the Church in New York and recognized the cultural mix there.  President Gordon B. Hinckley started the custom of asking young adults to participate in cultural arts programs to celebrate temple dedications as part of his quest to make church more engaging for youth.  New York youth kept the tradition going, following the example of members in Alaska, Ghana, and Denmark, who performed before their temples' dedications.  At the temple dedication, a time capsule was placed in the cornerstone filled with New York memorabilia including a commemorative gold-detailed white satin handkerchief patterned after a handkerchief Joseph Smith commissioned for the dedication of the Kirkland Temple.  The capsule also contained a copy of the New York Times, a commemorative crystal, a set of LDS scriptures, sheet music, and more.  Just two-and-a-half weeks before the temple's summer dedication, the Church announced that it would be adding a steeple and statue to the building that fall.  Hundreds of onlookers filled 
the streets of Manhattan on Saturday, October 9, 2004, to witness the placement of the 10-foot angel Moroni upon the spire of the temple. 

Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...