Friday, July 17, 2015

He can't believe it's Friday!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) My Ward family.  They have been amazing!

2) My children!  They are as amazing as ever!  I couldn't do it without them.

From the Camera:

Lexi's best friend posted this on Facebook today.
Lexi has picked an awesome girl to be her best friend.
Her friend encourages Lexi, is there for Lexi, and she helps Lexi make the best possible choices.  She is a wonderful example and very sweet.  Lexi picked a good one in her best friend!
Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg

From the Craft Room & Other Cool Things:

Check out this cool stuff!
It would make a great gift or stocking stuffer for those little guys in your life....or even the big ones too.



From the Heart & Spirit:

“Mortality is a period of testing, a time to prove ourselves worthy to return to the presence of our Heavenly Father. In order to be tested, we must sometimes face challenges and difficulties. At times there appears to be no light at the tunnel’s end-no dawn to break the night’s darkness. We feel surrounded by the pain of broken hearts, the disappointment of shattered dreams, and the despair of vanished hopes. We join in uttering the biblical plea “Is there no balm in Gilead?” We are inclined to view our own personal misfortunes through the distorted prism of pessimism. We feel abandoned, heartbroken, alone. If you find yourself in such a situation, I plead with you to turn to our Heavenly Father in faith. He will lift you and guide you. He will not always take your afflictions from you, but He will comfort and lead you with love through whatever storm you face.”
–Thomas S. Monson, “Looking Back and Moving Forward”, Ensign, May 2008, 87-90

From the Kitchen:

We have ants in our kitchen!!!  How the heck does that happen?  And we have a dog, so I needed something to kill the ants that will not harm the dog.  Look what I found!  Problem solved!  Love it!!!!

ANT KILLER 

What's so cool about this is, it took them 2 minutes to find it and 5 minutes to fill up like the pic ! Wow!

1 empty water bottle
(Cut it down to about 2" tall)
5 Tbsp of baking soda
5 Tbsp of powdered sugar

The very best way of eliminating ants is truly simple:

Take a small amount of powdered sugar (also called icing sugar) and mix it with an equal amount of baking soda (formally called sodium bicarbonate)

Powdered sugar is essential. You cannot use the larger grains of sugar for this..

Mix the two powders together and then place small amounts against the walls or other areas where you would not normally walk but where you would normally see the ants.

The ants will be attracted to the sugar and will eat some of it and collect more to take home to feed others, so all of them will get their share.

The sugar and baking soda powders are similar in size and, once mixed together, the ants cannot separate the two items, so, as they eat the sugar, they will also ingest the baking soda, which they would otherwise never touch. This is the reason for using powdered sugar.

Once the ants eat the baking soda it will react with the formic acid in their stomachs and cause gas. The bodies of ants are unlike humans and they cannot eliminate gas so it will build up inside them and cause them to literally explode.


From the Schmidt's:

It's been a very long week to say the least.  
Isn't it funny how life is full of twists and turns?  It blows me away to think about all the twists and turns our lives have taken over the course of our marriage.  Kevin and I have had many ups and many downs.  I think most married couples could say the same thing about their own marriages.  Don't you think?

This last twist is no exception!  I think the one thing that has helped me the most is knowing that even though this is hard and we still have a long road ahead of us, we are still very blessed.  There are so many other health issues that could come along that could really be life threatening.  This is not one of those kinds of things!  For that, I am so very grateful for.  And yes, that is how I can feel that we are very blessed, indeed!!!

Looking back on this entire situation, I remember feeling that something was going to happen on Monday.  It's interesting to me how the Holy Ghost operates.  I wish now that I would have asked questions then.  I wish I would have inquired about that feeling I got.  I know I was being warned.  Even prepared for what was about to happen.  Oh, the questions I should have asked.  I regret being more concerned about the day-to-day things at the time and not taking the time to stop and really listen, and that is my deepest regret.  I was given a sign.  A sign that meant, "Hey, Sondra!  Come talk to me." (meaning go to your Heavenly Father in prayer, now!)  But, I didn't do it.  I know better!!!  And now, I filled with the what if questions.  

That moment is now lost forever.

That teaching moment to spend time conversing with the Lord.

This is why we are told to heed the promptings you receive from the Holy Ghost!  This is what he means by taking the time to listen with your heart and not your head.

It's not easy to feel this feeling.  Regret is such a tough pill to swallow sometimes.  Now, I need to ask for forgiveness.  Now, I need to go to my Heavenly Father and plead with Him to help me to know what to do.  Could I have prevented this for Kevin if I would have only taken the time to ask?  

I don't know.

Is there more NOW to learn?  Is it really too late, or is there still more for me to learn?  

This is where I am at.

In some ways, I am afraid to ask.

I'm afraid to hear the answers.  Afraid that I won't like what I may hear.  But, at the same time, I know I have to ask.  I know that this is what I must do and the only way to get through this is to move ahead, straight ahead.  No circling around it.  No avoiding it.  Just right on through is the only way.  

I will say this....

I am so grateful to be able to receive promptings from the Holy Ghost.  What an incredible gift it is.  It is when I receive these promptings that I can be absolutely certain that my Heavenly Father is very much aware of me and the situation I am in right at that very moment.  Isn't it awesome to know that He truly is in the details of our lives?  

I am also aware that I have a loving Heavenly Father that wants nothing more than to be a part of my life, if I will let Him.  I just need to invite Him in.  I have to make the effort.  He will not force me to do this.  It is all up to me.  I also know that He will be there for me, no matter what.  Even if I did miss the boat and did not heed his heavenly messenger's prompting.  Sure, I still need to repent, but I know that He is a loving God, and will NEVER leave me alone.

I have some work to do.  I guess that is why I have some time this weekend without a lot of interruptions from the outside world to reflect, ponder, study, and to pray.  I need this, more than ever.  I need to recharge my spiritual battery, so-to-speak.  Once I do this, then I can be ready to move forward with faith as I go about what the rest of this month has in store.

It's very interesting to me how some things work out.

So much has happened over the past few years that, to be honest, was beginning to really harden me.  I could see that happening more and more with each passing day.  Then something happened.  It has been as if this burden, this trial, suddenly became light and easy to bear.  I do not know how this happened, and I am not sure of the exact moment that this took place, but it has happened.  I do still get nervous and concerned about things.  The hives on my body proves that, and they just keep popping up at the craziest moments.  
I do believe that there has been a covering, if you will, over us that has been shielding us from the burden and weightiness of this trial.  For that I am so grateful.  

Enough about me.

Here are a few photos of Kevin before surgery in bed but taking a few fun photos with Lexi using the selfie stick.



This was Kevin the other day in the hospital...

This was Kevin sitting up, with the help of the therapist to actually get in the chair.

Do you see that?  There is a slight smile on the man's face!
That is a good thing!!!!!

The view from Kevin's hospital room.

  I took the day off of work today to check out the Rehabilitation Centers on the list the hospital gave Kevin.  Before I even had a chance to get out of bed, Kevin was calling.  He said the surgeon was in and really wants Kevin to be in St. Joseph's rehabilitation center.  He said they have the best care in the valley, plus then the surgeon can be a part of Kevin's care.  The doctor told Kevin that they are a small facility and only have 45 beds, but he was sure he could keep Kevin where he was in order to wait for a bed to open up for him. Kevin was in tears when he called.  When I asked him why he was crying he said he felt relieved that they wanted him to stay at St Joseph's rehabilitation center.  

So instead of visiting the two facilities in Mesa I just came straight up to the hospital.  When I got here there were two doctors and two therapists in the room talking to Kevin and evaluating his situation.  After they were done the doctors gave me directions on how to get to the Rehabilitation Center here and said the same thing the surgeon said, "we will keep you here until we can free up a bed for you."  Then the doctor said, it could be Monday or Tuesday before they get him there and he will be there for at least three weeks.  The doctor also said we need to help you get in and out of bed because you might still not be able to use your legs when you leave.  I think that was the biggest blow for Kevin. And for me too.  We have a lot of work to do.  These next few weeks are going to be intense and critical to how much Kevin improves.  I just hope he is able to walk when he leaves.  I hope he blows them away and makes great strides to improvement.  Kevin is tough.  Kevin knows how to work.  He can do this.  He can do hard things.  Of this we all know.  

I did let Curtis know what's going on here.  I talked to his older brother about how he would have felt and he said he would have wanted to know.  So, I sent Curtis an email.  

I should go.  Kevin is down getting a few x-Rays done right now.  Take care and we will talk soon.

From the Missionary:

Hi Everyone,

This week was a pretty normal one.  Not many huge things stuck out to me besides the weather.  It is so hot and humid.  We walk a block and we are both drenched in sweat.  At least it makes people listen to us because they feel bad for us.  It's at like 74% humidity today it's gonna be like 85 degrees.  It is rough, but I love it!  This Wednesday we are long-boarding around Manhattan, which is just going to be an awesome thing to be able to say to people after the mission.  

Anyways we have a couple of investigators that are looking promising.  One will probably be baptized in August or September, so I will probably be gone then.  Here is a chance that I could be here a while longer which would be cool, but bad at the same time.
The reason I might stay is because my companion may need to go home.  He didn't get his wisdom teeth pulled before his mission because he was told he didn't have to.  They are starting to come in and they are hurting he says.  I don't think he is really going home, but there is a slight, very slight possibility.  Nothing much besides that is going on.  I'm sorry there is not much to say about this week.  I need to write these emails throughout the week so I can have more to say.  Anyways these guys are trying to go so I will talk to you guys later.

Love, 

Elder Schmidt

Sent from my iPad

Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...