Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Say Hello to an old friend

Two Things I am Grateful For:
1) My co-workers!  They have been awesome.

2) Light traffic in the morning on the way to work!  
From the Camera:

Kevin's old friend is back!  Welcome back Pepsi-Cola.
From the Craft Room and Other Things:

Since I've lost a few pounds, I have a little issue with a few pairs of jeans.  No worries, I found an easy solution.
Take a look....

From the Spirit and Heart:

From the Kitchen:
Surprise Cupcakes!  Since cupcakes seem to be the "in" thing these days, here's a great recipe.....
1 box devils food cake mix (or your favorite)
Prepare the cake mix as directed on the box, using cupcake papers to bake them in.  Cool for ten minutes in the pan, then cool them on a baking rack until completely cool.
Then, in a large mixing bowl, mix:
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup marshmallow creme
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Use a small pastry tip in a pastry bag or plastic bag.  Fill the bag with the cream filling.  Insert the tip halfway into the center of each cupcake and fill with a small amount.  Frost the cupcakes with chocolate frosting (or your favorite). 
From the Schmidt's:

Kevin was in good spirits when I left him in his new tonight.
It's official!  Kevin is in his bed in the Rehab Center!   He looked pretty content in his bed with his personal TV, even though he was in a joint room.  When I got there the double doors were shut tight.  They keep them locked and closed at all times.  You have to use a code to get into the facility.  I'm sure for security reasons since it is so far off the beaten path.  When I got there I was greeted by the nurse at the front desk who had me go through some paperwork and sign some documents.  She then reminded me that I needed to take copies of our advanced directives down so they can make copies for their records.  I keep forgetting.  This certainly would be the time to make sure they have them.  I still can't believe everything that has happened to Kevin.  In some ways I am still in shock and disbelief.  I think the fact that I do not feel overwhelmed, even though I totally am overwhelmed, is one of those tender mercies my Heavenly Father has blessed me with since about 2, maybe 3 years ago.  I can almost remember the actual moment when I went from feeling totally stressed out and scared to feeling like this burden was light and easy to bear.  Almost, I said.  

Back to Kevin....when I was done signing papers, and going over a few things with the charge nurse, she let me know that Kevin would be changing rooms.  She didn't explain the reasoning behind that decision, and I just thought they needed him closer to his therapy room or they needed him with the spinal cord injury patients or something like that.  But, I was wrong again.  

Since Kevin cannot get out of bed or move on his own, they needed to hook him up to a crane to be able to get him on and off a bedpan, and in their chairs or wheelchairs.  The crane in the room Kevin was already in wasn't working, so they moved him to a new room with a crane that works really well.  Talk about big changes!  It's just amazing how quickly things can change.  One moment Kevin is walking in to the hospital using a walker, and the next he cannot walk, stand, move his lower body from the waist down, go the restroom by himself, or even sit up on his own.  So much we take for granted every single day.  I never dreamed we would be celebrating the fact that Kevin can actually move the big toe on his right foot.  I never dreamed this would happen to Kevin.  Not even in my wildest dreams.  I cannot even begin to understand how he must be feeling.  I worry about him.  I know I have had several moments where I just cry, so I can only imagine what happens in that hospital room when I am not around.  I worry about him.  Yes, I am so grateful I still have my Kevin.  That is all that matters.  But, I want him to also feel comfortable in his own skin too, if you know what I mean?  Enough about that.....as I start to tear up. 

 Kevin said before he left his old hospital bed for his new bed in the Rehab Center, the therapist had him actually stand up and take a step!  Or as Kevin called it, a heavy assisted step today! He also said his left leg is moving ever so slightly now. They ordered fitted boots for Kevin to wear mostly for his left foot in order to keep it from dropping more and to make sure he doesn't get sores on it since he has no feeling in it yet.  Baby steps are awesome!  We are celebrating each and every bit of improvement.  Kevin has come a long way since his surgery.  He still has a long road ahead of him, we know, but we are going to enjoy this journey. Go Kevin!!  We love you!

Lexi is wrapping up her 3rd week of online classes this week.  After that, she has the Laurel Retreat coming up and then school starts.  I can't believe how fast this summer is flying by.  My baby is a Junior in High School!  Where did the time go???

Tomorrow we should be hearing from Curtis again.  I'm curious about what he is going to say since I let him know about his Dad.  I hope that didn't slow him down because I know that would upset Kevin if it did.  

There was some concern that Curtis might surf the Internet and stumble across my blog or even a Facebook post.  I don't think he has.  Curtis is set on obeying the rules.  I knew he would be simply because of how he handled certain things at home.  Sure, Curtis likes to have fun and goof off, but something happened as he began attending mission prep classes and I'm proud of him. He wanted to follow all the rules to exactness.  So, I was never worried about Curtis seeing my blog. I was more concerned about letters or emails he would receive from friends and family who might have thought he had to know.  Thankfully, Curtis didn't hear the news from anyone other than his mother.

Well, I need to cut this short. I know, too late! Time for bed.  Take care and we will talk soon.
From the Missionary:

I love this photo!  It reminds me of what I see in my mind when I think of our missionary.  

 And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.
Doctrine & Covenants 84:88

Quote of the Day:
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...