Saturday, July 18, 2015

Saturday!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) That the health issues that my husband is dealing with are what they are,and not something else.  I know there are so many other things out there that we could be dealing with right now, but we are not.  That is blessing #1, that this is not something far worse.  Blessing #2,  I'm grateful he is alive, and even though his health issues are difficult to deal with,  I still have my husband!!!!  For he is my greatest blessing, which I am very grateful for.

2) I'm grateful that Youth Conference took place this weekend for my daughter.  She needed to get away from all of this and spend some time doing something fun.

From the Camera:

Pretty soon this girlie will be home! 
Youth Conference will come to an end today.
Even though I wanted her to get away and have some fun, I have missed her and can't wait to see her soon.

From the Craft Room and Other Things:

I thought this was pretty cool and I may need to give this a try sometime soon....check it out.

cool-magnifier-glass-iPhone
cool-iPhone-camera-hack

From the Spirit and Heart:

Does this mean we will always understand our challenges? Won't all of us, sometime, have reason to ask, "O God, where art thou?" Yes! When a spouse dies, a companion will wonder. When financial hardship befalls a family, a father will ask. When children wander from the path, a mother and father will cry out in sorrow. Yes, "weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." Then, in the dawn of our increased faith and understanding, we arise and choose to wait upon the Lord, saying, "Thy will be done."

What, then, does it mean to wait upon the Lord? In the scriptures, the word wait means to hope, to anticipate, and to trust. To hope and trust in the Lord requires faith, patience, humility, meekness, long-suffering, keeping the commandments, and enduring to the end. –Robert D. Hales, “Waiting upon the Lord: Thy Will Be Done,” Ensign (CR) October 2011

From the Kitchen:

Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas

For chimichangas:
6 (8-inch) soft flour tortillas
8 oz cream cheese ( room temperature)
2 Tablespoon sour cream
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cups sliced strawberries
Vegetable oil-for frying

For coating:
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar

Instructions
Beat cream cheese , sour cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and vanilla extract .
Fold in 3/4 cup of sliced fresh strawberries.
Divide the mixture evenly between 6 tortillas. Slather the filling in the lower third of each tortilla, fold the two sides of each tortilla toward the center and then roll the tortilla up like a burrito (secure it with a toothpicks!) .
Combine 1/3 cup sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon in a shallow bowl and set aside.
Line a large plate with paper towels.
In about 5 inch deep saucepan place about 2 -2½ inch vegetable oil for frying and heat it over medium-high heat until it reaches 360ºF.
Fry the chimichangas until golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes and flip them as needed (work in batches)
Transfer the chimichangas to the paper towel on a plate to drain for a minute, then roll them in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Don’t forget to remove all toothpicks from the chimichangas!!!

From the Schmidt's:

When I woke up this morning I called Kevin.  The doctors had just been in to see him first thing.  I thought they would take the weekend off and maybe send their assistants, but I was wrong.  I love that this doctor wants to be involved and isn't quick to pass Kevin off to someone else.  That means a lot.

Kyle is at his weight lifting competition so Danielle let me keep her car, just in case something happened and I needed to get up to the hospital right away.  When we first made this arrangement I thought Kevin would be going to a Rehab Center sometime so I would need to be ready to go at a moments notice.  Well, that has kind of changed.  Looks like Kevin will be staying at the Rehab Center at the hospital.  When Kevin called to tell me that he was relieved.  He was told this particular Rehab Center was more like a boot camp, but Kevin says he is ready to work hard and do whatever it takes.  I am so glad he has that attitude.  

Kevin also has the therapists coming in to work with him today.  Yesterday when I was at the hospital with him that really wore him out.  In fact, he fell asleep right after the therapist left and I just let him sleep.  The nurse had been in several times prior to renew his IV bag, give him some medication, and to let Kevin know that she would be back later to give him something to make him go to the bathroom.  He wasn't very happy about that at all!

Kevin has no feeling from his rib cage down.  He can't tell when he needs to go to the bathroom at all.  So, this is part of what Rehab will do for him...they will teach him various things to help him with his day to day living.  

Now I know what that doctor looked at me kind of weird when I asked if Kevin would ever be able to have the spinal nerve stimulator put back in his back.  That doctor knew could see the speed tell that what he was telling me was not registering.  That must be why he had to tell me each and every time he came to talk to me, and send his nurse to spell it out for me too.  I guess I just didn't want to hear that this could be how things are from now on.  Honestly, I still do not believe it.  I still do not want to thing that Kevin will never walk again.  It's too hard to wrap my head around.  I certainly was not ready to do that that day he had surgery.  I have since been able to get it a little more.  

Today Kevin said the doctor told him that most likely he will be able to get around in the house with a walker, but anytime he ventured out he would need to use the wheelchair.  Kevin said that eventually he may regain full use of his legs, but it may take longer then the three weeks they think he will be in the Rehab Center.  

It is a blessing that Kevin can go to this Rehab Center!  I am glad there is this option.  I don't know what we would do if he had to come straight home after this.  I also know that there are people out there that think we deserve to go through something like this.  That we deserve to struggle like this.  To them I say, if you only knew.  If you only knew that this, Yes, may be a struggle, but this has only made our family stronger.  We are better for having gone through all of this.  We are closer.  We are able to let go of all the things that really do not matter in life.  If anything, I want to thank you for wishing, and maybe even praying, for this struggle to come upon us.  Because of your desires, wishes, and prayers we have been truly blessed beyond anything I could have ever imagined.  

We still have a battle a head of us.  But we will make it through and be even better, stronger, and closer than ever before.  I know this to be true.  I know this will all my heart.  Thank you.

Well, I have some things to get done around here.  Take care and we will talk again soon. 

From the Missionary:

this is what Deseret News shared about Elder Schmidt's new Mission President recently....
David L. and Rebecca C. Smith (IRI)
Eight new mission presidents and their wives have been called by the First Presidency. They will begin their service in July.

David Lynn Smith, 42, and Rebecca Cardall Smith, three children, Keller 2nd Ward, Colleyville Texas Stake: New York New York North Mission, succeeding President Thomas B. Morgan and Sister Debra Morgan. Brother Smith serves as a bishop and is a former bishopric counselor, ward Young Men president, elders quorum president, seminary teacher and missionary in the Hawaii Honolulu Mission. Partner and executive vice president, Veridicus Health. Born in Salt Lake City to Richard Lynn Smith and Sirkka Eliisa Laitinen Smith.
Sister Smith is a former ward Young Women president, ward Primary presidency counselor, Sunday School teacher, and missionary in the Hawaii Honolulu Mission. Born in Salt Lake City to Duane Volker Cardall and Margaret Layton Cardall.
Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...