Saturday, July 4, 2015

4th of July & my Project is Complete!!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) The country I live in and the freedoms I enjoy in this country.

2) My family.  Where would I be without them?

Goals for the Day:

Mow the lawn

Deck the house out in Red, White, and Blue!  Get my flags out!  On the door, in the planters on the porch, down the walkway, on on the house.  

Dishes

Laundry

Cooking

Blog post

From the Camera:

Here is my project!
My King Size headboard!


I wanted a unique headboard for our king sized bed.  Originally I searched and found some awesome gates but they were red and $150 a piece, and I would need 3 of them to cover the wall space behind our bed.  $450 for just a headboard was more than I wanted to spend, so I was back to the drawing board to come up with an inexpensive headboard.  Sure, I could search high and low at the local second hand shops or thrift stores, but I am not always the most patient person when it comes to something like this, so I started searching.
I decided to purchase a few of these....
Rubber doormats.


I found some online, and a couple were purchases at a store locally.  I paid less than $60 for all 6 mats, paint, and paint brushes.  

At first I thought I would spray paint these mats off white, but after I was done painting them I didn't think  the color was working for me.
 See the off white below.



The off-white just didn't pop enough on my butter yellow walls.
So, I went back to the store.  This time I bought regular old craft paint (the cheap stuff) and only spending about $5.00 in paint and brushes.  This time I went for a very white white color.
See below.

It took me a while to paint all six mats, but they were all painted and dry I absolutely LOVED the white color.  I also used a piece of wrought iron to top off the piece, you know kind of like what you would see on some headboards.  

Once each mat was dry I placed everything on the floor to check the layout of my headboard.  I ended up cutting one of the mats so I could fill in some of the space between the wrought iron piece and the top of the mats.  

Then came hanging them on the wall.  I used just simple picture hanging nails and pieces my mats together.  Here are the big pieces in place...  See what I meant by having to fill on the space between the mats and the wrought iron?  
           

Here's a closer view of one of the mats after they were painted against my butter yellow wall.  Doesn't it look like and old wrought iron piece or an old gate or something?  I love it!

Here are a few photos of my piece after I placed all the little pieces between the wrought iron and the rubber mats.  

And another view...please excuse my bunched up sheet in the shot.  I was on my hands and knees at the head of the bed trying to piece this all together.  I'll have to take a few photos after I make the bed.


And yet another shot!  I'm a proud crafter!  I love how this turned out and I love how it brightens up my bedroom, and I cannot wait to get the bed made and get the rest of the room put back together! 

Here's a closer view of the pieces.....


From the Heart:

Buy a prepaid phone card and give it to someone who needs it. Perhaps you know a poor student who is struggling to pay their bills. Help them out! Give them a phone card so they can keep in touch with their loved ones.
Or you could give a phone card to your kids so that they can always reach you no matter where they are.

Benefits:

You are giving someone the ability to connect with a loved one. That is one of the best gifts you can give!

Step It Up:

Buy a couple of phone cards and carry them with you. The next time you see a homeless person, offer them a phone card. When you run out of phone cards purchase some more and keep giving them out as you see people who might need one. Not everyone has a cell phone; sometimes a prepaid phone card can really save someone's day!

Keep It Simple:

If you don't have a phone card, be willing to let someone borrow your cell phone if they ask to do so. Sometimes people just need to make a quick emergency phone call; let them borrow your phone and make a call. Or be intentional about buying a phone card as a gift for a friend. They make wonderful gifts for those who love to travel. If one of your friends or relatives is traveling or studying abroad, give them a phone card as a sending off gift. They will think of you every time they make a phone call on their trip!



From the Kitchen:


Chocolate-Coconut Rice Krispie Treats


Ingredients:


3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 3/4 cups miniature marshmallows; divided use
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
6 cups crisped rice cereal (Kellogg's Rice Krispies)
1 1/2 cups sweetened shaved coconut, toasted (see note below)
3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Line a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and stir in coconut extract.
3. Add crisped rice cereal; stirring until well coated. Fold in toasted coconut, miniature chocolate chips and reserved 3/4 cup marshmallows

4. Using buttered spatula, press the mixture into the prepared pan. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares.
From the Spirit:


Harold B. Lee's Quote on America

"Men may fail in this country, earthquakes may come, seas may heave beyond their bounds, there may be great drought, disaster, and hardship, but this nation, founded on principles laid down by men whom God raised up, will never fail. This is the cradle of humanity, where life on this earth began in the Garden of Eden. This is the place of the new Jerusalem. This is the place that the Lord said is favored above all other nations in all the world. This is the place where the Savior will come to His temple. This is the favored land in all the world. Yes, I repeat, men may fail, but this nation won't fail. I have faith in America ; you and I must have faith in America , if we understand the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are living in a day when we must pay heed to these challenges.

I plead with you not to preach pessimism. Preach that this is the greatest country in all the world. This is the favored land. This is the land of our forefathers. It is the nation that will stand despite whatever trials or crises it may yet have to pass through."

Yea Are the Light of the World, 350-351



From the Schmidt's:

We started the morning off with putting out a few flags around the house.  One being this big flag in front of our garage door, since I don't have a flag pole.



Next we put a few flags down the walkway leading to our front door.  Excuse the brown grass.  In Arizona most of us we have nice lush winter lawns and let the grass die out in the summer.  The first reason is because we live in a dessert and we conserve water  especially in the summer.  The second reason is that my  husband the gardener is recovering from his most recent surgery.  We are hopeful that he will be back to most activities soon.  We want our green lawn all year long, but more importantly, we want a healthy husband too. 


Then we added a few flags to the topiary tree next to the front door.  We already had the wreath on the door and the flags in the bucket on table next to the patio furniture.  


I wish the lawn was a little more green, but I am very glad my husband is on the mend from his recent surgery too.  So, we are just a-okay with the brown patchy grass.  


All in all, today was a very low key day.  Kyle woke up early to go mow his girlfriend's Mom's lawn.  When he got home he mowed ours too.  By then it was about noon and the about 107 degrees outside.  Needless to say, Kyle came in all sweaty and in need of a shower.  

After his shower he took off again to spend time with his girlfriend again.  When he got home, we ran to the store for a couple of things.  All in all, we had a very low key kind of day.  We made sandwiches and Lexi was going to make this smores dip she has been tempting us all with.  We never got around to making the dip, but we will make it sometime tomorrow.

Kevin has been in pain all weekend.  Right after I woke up this morning I caught him rolling all around the bed wallowing (no joke) in pain.  When I asked him if he needed to get to the Emergency Room he said no.  He decided he could get to Monday.  How that man does it, I will never know.

Lexi has been painting some pictures with just the plain Jane watercolors lately.  She decided she was going to decorate her room with quotes she found and wanted to do some watercolor on the pages too.  So, this afternoon she painted a picture of the Mesa, Arizona Temple and did pretty good, for a beginner!  Here is her picture....

My Mom is an art major and took several watercolor classes in college.  I have a feeling Lexi and my Mom will be chatting about watercolor before too long.  I love that she likes to be creative like her mother, sister, grandmother, aunts, uncle, and grandfather too.  It's fun to sit and craft with my girls!  

Danielle came over this afternoon after work.  We spent some time talking and just hanging out.  Then she left to go write a paper for school.  Kyle took off again to go run some errands and eventually go swimming with his girlfriend.  So, tonight it's Lexi, Kevin and I.  All-in-all, it's been a nice day just spending time with our kids enjoying each other's company.  Love it!

Hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July too!  Take care friends, and we will talk again soon.

From the Missionary:

Nothing from the missionary today, but I can't wait to hear what he did for the 4th of July!

Quote of the Day:




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...