Thursday, June 11, 2015

TBT and some memories

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) The answers to prayers I receive.  I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father that hears my prayers and comes to my rescue each and every day.  What would I do without Him?

2) Answers to prayers offered up many months ago.  That's right, answers did not come right away.  However, they have come NOW when I needed them the most and could really understand and appreciate them so much more.   

Goals for the Week OR better yet, Goals I have achieved for the Week!!:

1) Bench PAINTED!

2) Bridal bouquet and Groom's boutonierre made AND delivered!

3) Thank you notes - Sent!

I still have lots to do.  

1) Make sure the garbage cans get out to the curb this week.
(we forget them last week....EEK!)
2)  Clean!  Clean!  Clean!
3)  Organized Lexi's room
4) Birthday shopping for Kevin and Lexi
5) Father's Day shopping
6) Pre-Op testing for Kevin
7) Paperwork for Kevin
8) Clean some more!  

From the Camera:

A few random photos.....
My latest find on Facebook.  
Two rod iron chairs for $15.00 total.  Not bad right???

The box pull of flowers!

The unpacking of the box
More unpacking.
I just had to post this one....this is how my entire family, not just my husband, feels when I visit any craft store.



From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea....

When you look back at your own childhood, you can probably name several key people who taught you some of the most important things you know today. You too, can be an influential force in a child’s life by spending time helping him or her to learn. You can help a child master a subject he or she is struggling with in school, teach him or her to play a sport or learn another skill.

Benefits

For children who don’t have an influential adult in their lives, just being a small part of their lives could make a huge difference. Helping a child learn is also a great way to teach him or her to help others. Being able to see someone learn because of the effort you’ve put into teaching them can be an extremely rewarding experience for you.

Step It Up

Find an after-school program in your community where you can volunteer to help children with their homework. Or volunteer as a sports coach at a local school or recreation center.

Keep It Simple

If you’re a parent, simply find the time to help your own children learn, whether it is assisting them with homework or teaching them the values that are important to you.
From the Kitchen:

JAMAICAN BANANA BREAD
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt (or pina colada flavored!!)
3 tablespoons dark rum OR apple cider
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon flaked sweetened coconut
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, rum, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Combine powdered sugar and juice, stirring with a whisk; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely on wire rack.
From the Spirit:

I think this applies to everyone in the church, 
not just couple missionaries.

"Your Heavenly Father needs you.  His work, under the direction of our Savior Jesus Christ, needs what you are uniquely prepared to give."

Elder Robert D. Hales, Couple Missionaries: Blessings from Sacrifice and Service, April 2005 General Conference

From the Schmidt's:

Kevin and woke up super early this morning to drive to Phoenix to pick up the fresh flowers from the Wholesale Flower Shop.  It was nice to see my old stomping grounds again.  At first the guys at the shop just thought I was just some crazy lady coming to buy flowers.  I am a crazy lady, BUT...there is a reason I called that particular shop. When I told the guys shop who I was, and which florist I use to work for, they knew who I exactly who I was.  That was nice.  It's been a lot of years since I use to call them every couple of days to place our flower orders for the shop I worked for.  I walked around the shop a little bit and picked out some peach stock to add to the bouquet.  I also picked up some blue tiny paper rosebuds to include in the bouquet. The brides colors are peach and blue.  The guys packed the flowers in ice in a box for me and even loaded it into my car.  Once Kevin and I got home, I unpacked the box, wire wrapped every single rose, cut the stems on everything we picked up, and put everything in big two gallon vase full of water.  The other flowers I put in a smaller vase and put them in the cooler right away.  Then I started on the Bridal Bouquet.  We got home at 7:15 a.m. and the bouquet was done by 9 a.m. when my bride came over to see it.  
The Bridal Bouquet is done!  Woot!  Woot!  
That was my biggest concern these past few days.
The bride and groom have photos tonight she wanted her bouquet for.  Tomorrow is the wedding, and Saturday is the reception.  
Fun Fun!  I'm excited to see everything come together.  That means decorating for me.  I still have all the centerpieces to put together, all the bridal party, and a garland for over the door backdrop the bride is using.  They were going to use my doors, but didn't want to risk breaking the glass.  The reception is at the west end of Mesa, and I think they might have used them, if they didn't have to travel so far with them.  Which is fine.  That just means we don't have to take them down.  No problem for me.  ~smile~smile~

Enough about that....Kevin and Kyle are off at a friends place having their gun looked at.  Kevin couldn't shoot his gun the last time we took it to the shooting range.  Apparently something is jammed in it.  So, this friend who sells and works on guns is going to take a look at it and see if he can fix it for us.  Which is awesome!  Kevin has been "sick" about it.  He keeps calling it his door stop.  The gun he has wanted since he was a kid reduced to become a door stop.    

Once the flowers were done, Lexi and I went to every church bookstore in Mesa.  She wants new scriptures for her birthday.  That's right, for her 16th birthday, this girl wants new scriptures.  
I love that!  She has a quad set, but she wants a seperate Bible and a triple combination so she can have both books open at the same time and see the cross references as she studies.  That's how Kevin has always ordered his scriptures.  In fact, that is exactly how Kyle, Curtis and Danielle have their scriptures too.  I am impressed with Lexi's choice.  

Well,  I still have LOTS to do!  It's 8 p.m. and I haven't even made dinner yet.  Yikes!  I should go.  Take care and we will talk soon.

From the Missionary:
Hey,
I was a little worried at first about sending this to you guys.
I didn't want to worry about me or anything, but I feel that it is fine to let you guys know.  This last Friday while we were waiting for a train to get to our first appointment we had for the day.  While the train came my companion and I saw a man jump into the train and get ran over and thrown into the third rail.  It was so freaky!  It's actually the second suicide in a week that I have seen.  The other a guy jumped off one of the elevated train platforms onto the street.  I am completely fine, not scared in any way.  In both of those situations we still made it to our next appointment and pretty much just moved on.  I definitely saw a whole lot more of the one where the guy jumped in front of the train.  I was pretty scared at first but like I said, this started as one of the worst days I've had and it ended up being one of the best days I have had.  We found like 3 new investigators which was awesome!  It's going pretty good here all together.  We have been doing a lot of less active work and finding.  Which tracting we actually found an inactive member named Xxxxxx (name removed for this blog post to protect the individual) from Puerto Rico and she hasn't been to church for about 11 years!  It was pretty cool.  She has two kids who are in need of a baptism.  Wink!  Wink!  JK.  We will have to pass her off to the sisters since she is a single woman.  I love finding people who are just super prepared even though it's hard to just pass them off sometimes. 

We recently had a zone conference and President Morgan and Sister Morgan introduced President Smith (Our soon to be President from Arizona!) and talked about them.  The Smith's weren't actually there with us.  They are in the MTC right now.  President Morgan is awesome and even though I hardly know the guy, I am gonna miss him a little.  He told is that when President Smith comes, we should expect an improvement on the mission because he says every generation is an improvement upon the last.  He stressed that point so much, and it was so cool to see how people's opinions of President Smith changed after that meeting.  I know that some people are not going to like the guy, but I'm going to do all I can to make this a smooth transition for me.  I mean, my work shouldn't change much because of a new Mission President.  

Anyways, the weather here is wet all the time.  I wake up wet every morning, so you might get a call about me like drowning in my bed.  Ha Ha.  We do have AC units in our window that we crank every time we get to the apartment.  Oh yeah, Facebook.  We have Facebook now.  It should only be used for missionary work.  If you guys post on it or tag me in anything I have to approve it to go on my wall.  If you guys post on my wall I should be the only one that is allowed to see it.  It's pretty locked down since we are supposed to leave all ties back home at home and all that stuff.  If you guys message me it's fine, I just can't reply there and my companion has to be next to me when I'm on Facebook to make sure I'm not doing anything I'm not supposed to be doing.  It's still really cool to use this as a tool for missionary work, even though it feels like I'm not a missionary when I'm on Facebook.  Oh, could you do me a favor and look at my wall on Facebook to check if it's completely clean and that it looks like a missionaries Facebook page?  

Well, I've got to go.  We are going to China Town again to have some fun.  I'm probably gonna get some chop sticks because I'm getting pretty good at using them now.  But besides that, I don't know what else we are really doing.  Probably gonna eat some soup dumplings with chop sticks, which I hear is pretty hard.  LOL!  Byeeeee.


Oh! P.S. - Here are some quotes of the week....

1) You can count the seeds in an apple but you can't count the apples in a seed.

2) Be a Ted not a Tina.
As in be interesTED, not interesTING when you talk to people.

Love,

Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPad

Quote of the Day:


 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...