Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Tuesday Happenings....


Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Loose change.  I find it fun to save my change for a while and then visit the Coin-star and use my change to buy all of my groceries.  LOVE IT!  It's like getting my groceries for free, or so it seems.  I know, it's the little things that make me happy.  

2) I also love Walmart's Saving Catcher App for my phone.  I scan every receipt I get from Walmart and then the app does all the work to find me extra savings.  Then I download my savings to my American Express and get double the savings when I go back to Walmart.  Love that!  More free money.  It's great!  I can even use the savings to make purchases online with Walmart.com.  

Goals for the Day:
1) Get more time on SRP - during the summer I add money about three times a week.  Not fun!
2) Get gas for my car
3) Dishes
4) Grocery store for a few things
5) Laundry
6) Take Lexi to the LDS Distribution Center to pick up her new scriptures.  She got some money from babysitting and for her birthday and she wants new scriptures.  She wants a separate Bible and Triple Combination so she can study the cross references and have both books open at the same time.  Plus she wants bigger print too.  I love that she wants scriptures!  
7) Change Kevin's wound dressing.  
8) Paint - I am almost done and I promise pictures will come soon too.
9) Get things ready for work tomorrow. Kevin has had a rough couple of days.  I still cannot believe they sent him home one day after a fusion.  Yikes!
10) Pick up an Ordinance Card for Chance while we are at the LDS Distribution Center and Book Store.  

From the Camera:


The scriptures.....

The engraving.....

The scripture case....

The scripture markers....
Lexi didn't even want to stay and look at the clothes at Seagull Books today because she was so anxious to get home and mark her new scriptures.  She has a goal to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year.  The Young Women are reading it together.  I love that my sixteen year old is more excited about a gift like this than any other.  It makes me happy.  

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea.
This one is one I need to work harder on, and I still have a LONG way to go with this too.  
72d71c3e1a75301c5a2942cd172af179_l
Make it a practice to always give someone the benefit of the doubt. In the world of law, people remain innocent until proven guilty. Shouldn't that also be the case with our loved ones?
Trust your friends and family members and give them the benefit of the doubt. Don't jump to conclusions; if you hear a rumor be sure to check with the person mentioned rather than assume it is true or not true.

Benefits:

You will find yourself much slower to anger and in general a more laid back and calm person because you take a moment to think through things rather than immediately passing judgment. You will find that more people will be honest with you if you are honest with them.

Step It Up:

Give the benefit of the doubt to all those you meet, not just to a select few. Make a commitment to never talk behind anyone's back; rather if you have a question you will ask the person directly. This direct communication cuts down on confusion and helps lead to healthier relationships.

Keep It Simple:

The next time you hear an outrageous story, catch yourself before you begin to make a judgment. Keep an open mind, and follow up with the person or people in question at another time. Remain calm throughout this process.

From the Kitchen:

The Best Strawberry Lemonade Ever!
Ingredients
18 lemons
12 cups water......
3 cups sugar (you can adjust to your liking and also use sugar substitute if you prefer)
3 cups strawberries
Directions
Cut the LEMONS in half. Spoon out PULP over pitcher. Add Pulp.
Slice STRAWBERRIES in half. Add to pitcher as well.
Stir in cold WATER and SUGAR.
FREEZE for 45 minutes or until slushy or add ice and blend or keep cubes whole.
ENJOY!
From the Spirit:
"I know that God loves us.  He allows us to exercise our moral agency even when we misuse it.  He permits us to make our own decisions.  Christ cannot help us if we do not trust Him; He cannot teach us if we do not serve Him.  He will not force us to do what's right, but He will show us the way only when we decide to serve Him.  Certainly, for us to serve in His kingdom, Christ requires that we experience a change of thought and attitude."
---Thomas S. Monson, "Looking Back and Moving Forward", Ensign, May 2008, 87-90

From the Schmidt's:
The "to do" list is looking good.  I have managed to get about half of the things on that list done. Yes!  We have added more money to SRP, got gas, visited the grocery store for a few things, visited the LDS Distribution Center, and visited the Church Book Store to get Lexi's scriptures engraved.  I cannot get over the fact that scriptures are about $25.00 cheaper at the Distribution Center then at any Church Book Store for the Genuine Leather.  Wow!  I'm just glad we live close to a Temple and a Distribution Center.  

Now to move on to the other things on my list.  Kevin took a nap so I took advantage and ran these errands while he was sleeping.  Thank goodness Kyle was able to be home this morning too.  
Kyle found out today that one of the Police Department's he is applying for has their written test on the 17th and the physical on the 18th.  Kyle has a Weight Lifting Competition in Flagstaff on the 18th.  He was pretty bummed because he wants to do both things.  So, he is trying to see if they have more than one testing day.  He doesn't want to put this off for another 6 months either.  He may have to just do the Police thing and miss his competition.  We shall see, he is calling their hiring department to double check.  Good thing he hasn't paid the entrance fee for the competition yet.  

Oh yeah, while I was out we picked up and ordinance card for Chance.  That way he has it for his wallet.  This is something I picked up for Curtis and Kyle when they were first ordained an Elder.  It gives all the wording of everything from blessing the Sacrament to giving a Priesthood blessing, Baby Blessing, Blessing of Healing.  You name it, it's there.  I just feel bad that Chance isn't living closer to his father who would be able to be by his side as some of these things come up.  These are the kinds of things I am so grateful my boys have been able to experience. Sure, some of these things happened while they were on their missions, but most happened while there were right here close at home where their father could give whisper in their ears if needed and instruct them before these things happen.  It reminds me of something I heard several years ago...."Everything GREAT that you will ever learn began with a whisper."  How true is that.  From the whispers of a parent in a child's ear teaching then how to be, or whispering the words into their ears as they share their little testimonies, or to the whisperings of that still small voice as you receive your person revelation.  Love it!  

I have another errand to run and Kevin's wound dressings need to be changed.  Kevin has 5 more days to go before they turn on his stimulator.  He is in such pain right now.  Poor guy.  I worry about him.  I wish there was something I could do for him, to help ease the pain.  So frustrating.  

I want you to know, I have not bought anything on a Facebook Group in over three weeks now.  Believe me, it's been hard.  I've wanted one of those stand alone fireplaces with the fancy mantle for a long time.  One was for sale for $50 on one group.  I turned it down.  Then there was a Cricut Expressions for $60 for sale, and I turned that down too.  The Cricut would have been awesome to have to make all the vinyl things I want....not to mention for future weddings coming up.  Oh well.  Both were awesome deals, but there are other things we need first.  See, I do have some restraint.  Really I do.   My sister-in-law was selling it to come up with money to pay their bills.  I would gladly give the money, if I had it to give, no Cricut Expressions involved.   I think having to turn her down about killed me.  That was really tough.  Arg!

I need to go my friends.  Time to get those other things done on my list.  Take care and we will talk again soon.  

From the Missionary:

A few fun facts about the New York, New York North Mission and the area.....
NYC

If you have ever wanted to walk down a movie scene, sprint through the park to catch a bus, walk amongst the richest and poorest humans on earth, freeze your guts out, and burn your face off, you will have the time of your life as you spend the best two years of your life serving our Master in the greatest place in the world: New York City!
 New York City is the most populous city in the United States with a population of 8,336,697 distributed over a land area of just 302.64 square miles.
 69.96% of the population is affiliated with a religious organization; 52% Catholic, 29% Jewish, 18% other
 New York City is classified as being a humid subtropical climate. Winters are cold and damp. The average daily high temperature in January, the coldest month, is 38.3 °F (3.5 °C); but can occasionally reach as low as 0 °F (−18 °C). Spring and autumn range from chilly to warm with low humidity. Summers are typically warm to hot and humid, with an average July high temperature of 84.1 °F (28.9 °C).
 New York City is divided into five boroughs- The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island. Our mission covers Manhattan and the Bronx and about 3 hours up north from the city.

THE CHURCH

The church continues to grow in New York City. There are very loyal members who love the Lord there. The missionaries are in full pursuit of following the Prophets council and rescuing the lost sheep. There is plenty of work to be done! It is in need of strong leadership in the church and training on how to be dependent in their own individual wards instead of dependent on the missionaries.
“The temple is so beautiful until you actually see it in person it’s right in the heart of Manhattan, Julliard is right across the Street” - Lucinda

FOOD

There are so many different kinds of foods in New York, name it and they have it. The wonderful part about the mission is there is someone from every corner of the world. Because of that, there is an opportunity to eat the best food from all different countries and cultures! Some things that every missionary should try while in this mission are:Waffles and Dinges, Lamb over rice, Chimichurri, Crossbronx Pizza, Chicken Joes, Steak and Shake, and Shake Shack!

TRANSPORTATION

In the city missionaries have unlimited metro cards, which means they ride the subways and buses all day long. Don’t worry though, missionaries still get a great workout  by walking up and down apartment stairs all day, everyday. Upstate missionaries drive cars and have bikes.

SAFETY

New York City has become an increasingly safer place to live. Crime in New York City decreased more than 75% from 1993 to 2005 and continued decreasing during periods when the nation as a whole saw increases. It is however a big city and common sense precautions should be taken.
A missionaries advice on safety: “Though the city has a bad reputation, I had no problems with safety on my mission, in fact, very few missionaries have a single safety problem. The Lord truly protects his missionaries. All you have to do is be strictly obedient and He will watch out for you. Don’t worry moms!”

CUSTOMS

There are many different languages spoken within the boundaries of the mission. Among those are: Mandarin Chinese, English, Spanish American, Sign Language and Portuguese.
NYC is all about dollar pizza, looking sharp, and getting places without getting run over! Learn how to strike up conversations fast, but powerfully. These are loyal people who stand up for what they believe in.

LOCAL LINGO

If you have been called to Spanish speaking, you will learn how to speak Dominican, not Spanish. They speak in complete slang and you will learn to love it!

ESSENTIAL EQUIPMENT

A missionaries advice: “I loved having a really big coat. Having a big down coat was a lot better than a million layers because you were always inside and outside of homes and putting on all the layers after every appointment was really annoying compared to just putting on one big coat and having a short sleeved shirt underneath.”
-A nice peacoat would also be very helpful, as it can be worn in diverse weather.
-Vacuum bags are suggested for when it comes to packing for transfers.
-The mission supplies missionaries with bed-bug covers, so don’t worry about that.
-Don’t hold back on buying a really nice pair of shoes, they are worth it especially after long days of walking around NYC.
-Camelback’s are great summer backpacks, as the summers get hot and you will need water.
To you remarkable missionaries, this is your time and your season. On occasion as time permits, take the opportunity to reflect on past seasons during your growing up years that have helped prepare you for this remarkable experience.
As a mission president’s wife I enjoyed asking young men and young women the question “what comes to your mind when you think of your mom?” With their approval I would record their responses that were varied and amazing.
The role a mother plays in even little happenings in the preparation of a young missionary, an ambassador of the Lord Jesus Christ, is remarkable.
In response to my question “ what comes to your mind when you think of your mom “ one young Elder who always appeared confident and prepared to handle most situations began to explain, as tears filled his eyes. “ I remember like it was yesterday a time when I was about 4 years old. I hit my head on the corner of the table . I began crying. My mom immediately turned off the vacuum cleaner she was using, picked me up, held me close and wrapped me in her arms. I don’t remember what she said but I will never forget I how I felt that long time ago.”
This young missionary went on to explain “when the rain continues day after day (as it often did in the Canada Vancouver mission) , and doors are slammed in your face when you are out tracking doing your very best it would be easy to want to give up, or give out, or give in but you decide to give your all”
He explained the impact of his mothers love saying that when he would return with his companion to their humble dwelling at the end of a hard day of dedicated labor he felt the promise of his father in Heaven in the message given to Oliver Cowdrey (D.C6:20) “Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love .” “When I remember the feeling in my mother’s arms those many years ago I try to imagine what it will be like one day in His arms when I hear “ well done thou good and faithful servant “. I get up the next morning and rain or shine my companion and I are ready to hit the road running on His errand . I have come to realize the warmth I felt in my mother’s arms was more spiritual than physical and it has stayed with me.
“Have you written to your mom about this experience “ I asked.
He agreed that he would. I’ve tried to imagine the feeling of gratitude of a dedicated mother who never thought to add to her ledger of accomplishments the day she stopped vacuuming to pick up her little boy and help prepare him for the future.
Quote of the Day:
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...