Sunday, June 28, 2015

On a Sunday Afternoon

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Good kids who do not need to be asked or coaxed into going to church, even when they have to go alone.  They make my job so much easier!  Lexi got up this morning and didn't mind going alone since I had to stay to help Kevin, she was just frustrated that I didn't wake her up sooner so she had more time to get ready.  My alarm must have not gone off.  I set it for 8 a.m., then again for 9 a.m.  I got up at 5:53 a.m. to let the dog out, moved out to the couch so I wouldn't disturb Kevin anymore than I already did, so I could let the dog back in to the house when he was ready.  I must have slept through the 9 a.m. alarm.  I woke up and Lexi was up getting ready.  So frustrating when I do that.  This is why I set 2 alarms on two different phones, then I also have Kevin set his phone too for work during the week.  I cannot have that happen on a work day.

2) Cheese!  Since I started this diet on 5/3/15, I haven't had but an ounce or two of cheese.  With Kevin being in the hospital I haven't been doing the diet since Friday.  Yesterday Kyle got crackers and cheese at the store, and Oh my!  Cheese.  It's so good.  I will be going back on the diet tomorrow, but for these three days, it has been wonderful to eat cheese again.  Love it!  ~smile~smile~
(it's the little things in life)

Goals for the Day:

1) Keep Kevin settled and comfortable today, as best we can.
2) Redress Kevin's surgical sites
3) Get Lexi to her appointment with the Bishop today.
4) Laundry
5) Letter to Curtis
6) Blog Post

From the Camera:

I had two high school reunions the month. 
One from Cabrillo High School.  The school I attended for three years and thought I would always graduate from.
I didn't make it to either one. Here are a few photos of the reunion in California, thanks to everyone taking great photos.
The reunion was at a fellow classmates home for part of the festivities.


The school

This is the view of the golf course from the classmates back porch.  The Country Club Golf Course never looked better!

These are some of my classmates who attended the reunion.
This is a great photo of the outside tables in the middle of the school where we all ate lunch most days. Wish I could have been there.
This is the other reunion for the school I graduated from, Mountain View High School.
Here is a view of the entire campus.
Sorry no photos of the second reunion.  I guess my fellow classmates of Mt. View didn't want to post photos on the Facebook link for all to see.  Oh well.  I'm not bummed about missing these reunions at all.  I would love to go back to California to see the school and the area we lived in and a friends.  I don't need an official reunion to do that, and someday we will get there.

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, here is another idea...
This one I have actually seen happen.  Someone donated a Lexus to Deseret Industries and I knew the family that received the vehicle.  This mother and wife worked with me at AT&T.  She would ride her bicycle to and from work every day.  From about Horne and University to Alma School and University.  She would ride in the rain and cold every day and night, because we worked the evening shift.  She had two little little kids too.  I have no idea how this women did it, but she managed, and believe me, it was like Christmas for her, her husband, and their small children when they received that car.  It was awesome to see.  I use to give her a ride from time to time on the days it rained.  Then one time when I was having car trouble guess who was there to lend a hand, this friend.  She gave me a ride all the way to Power and University.  She was so happy to finally have wheels.  I had no idea you could get a car with a Bishop's order, but it can be done.  She said her Bishop filled out a Bishop's order just like you do for food, but for things at Deseret Industries.  I know of other people that have received beds, washers, dryers, and other things just like this.  We as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints truly are blessed.  When I saw this friend of mine so happy and thrilled to have her new-to-her car, it was like seeing the law of consecration in action right before my eyes.  I believe that this is why we much continue to donate our gently used items to Deseret Industries.  That way, items like this car can be used to bless the lives of those who truly need them.  What a blessing!  Sorry to get on my soapbox.  I couldn't help it.

Do you have a vehicle you don't need or want? Maybe your car just died and it is so old it isn't worth it to pay to fix it. Or perhaps you inherited a vehicle from a relative who can no longer drive. Before you immediately decide to sell it, consider donating it to a local charity.
You can donate your vehicle whether it is running properly or not. Many nonprofit organizations appreciate donated vehicles as a way to help with transportation challenges and costs. Or, if your vehicle isn't running smoothly anymore, you can still donate it for the parts. Many fire departments also accept donated vehicles; if they are no longer running properly they will use them to help train new fire-fighters how to put out car and truck fires. There are also a lot of individuals out there who could use a car or truck but who do not have the means to purchase one; you could also think about donating your vehicle to a friend or family member in need.

Benefits:

Donating a vehicle helps build a community in many ways. It helps the recipients by providing them transportation or much-needed parts they need to make their own car run. It helps charities by providing a "company car" or additional income they would not ordinarily receive. The donors gain satisfaction in knowing they gave something away freely that is helping others.

Step It Up:

Make a commitment to donate your old vehicle every time you purchase a new vehicle, rather than "trading in" the old one. Take a moment to consider if you actually need all the vehicles you currently own. If you have two or more, talk with your family and see if you could get by with less. If so, donate a vehicle!

Keep It Simple:

Offer a ride to someone who doesn't have a car. If they try and pay you for the cost of the gas, don't accept it. Give them this ride for free.
From the Kitchen:
Crock pot Ranch Pork chops:
package of boneless pork chops
1 can of Cream of Chicken soup
1 packet dry Ranch dressing mix
In crock pot layer pork chops, add the cream of chicken soup, then sprinkle dry Ranch dressing all over.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours OR Low for 6 hours.
The pork chops come out very tender and the flavor is amazing! You also get a good gravy for mashed potatoes

From the Spirit:

Lessons Learned at a Renaissance Fair


Today I was faced with an experience I have never had before.. attending a Renaissance Fair. Now I love history.. maybe that is why I was always drawn to attend one of these fairs.. which in my mind celebrate things of yester-years. I always thought it would be fun and interesting.. and I will confirm that it was interesting.. but not in the way that I thought. Being a person that likes to study people and figure out what is in their heads.. this was a buffet for my mind.. and truly sometimes I walked away wondering.. and I still am. Like what makes a person dress up and wear an Owl head.. or a woman wear a chain mail bra? I am not sure I could ever answer those questions.. and I am not even going to try. No the lesson I learned today was something much more important and it has to do with my sweetheart.
Years and years ago.. when we were first married I discovered.. much to my delight.. that when ever a woman or a picture of a woman that was inappropriately dressed came into his view… he would I M M E D I A T E L Y look at his feet. It was an automatic response. Of course I was delighted to be the wife of a man who worked hard at keeping his thoughts clean. It was probably the most beautiful gift that he gave me…and I NEVER wondered for one single second if he was ever unfaithful to me.. not once.. not in deed.. not in words.. and not even in thought.. because he worked so hard at making sure he was doing all the could to watch is thoughts.
Now here is the lesson I learned today…. my sweetheart would have been looking at his feet MOST of today and somehow he knew that and he never gave into my pleadings to go to a renaissance fair. Oh I am sure he probably thought it would be dorky.. but he had done other dorky things because I had asked.. he took me to a ballet once and took me on a cruise! But on this held his ground.. and today I knew why. So I walked away with a deeper appreciation for my sweetheart and this gift. I will be honest and say that I did not see one single man today giving that gift to his sweetheart… and again.. I felt lucky to have had this great man in my life and for the example he set and the love he gave to me.
To the men who may read this… may you be as sweet to your wives….
To the women who are married to the men who spend time looking at their feet… you are blessed with a good man. Hold on to him tight!
From the Schmidt's:

I missed church today to stay home with Kevin.  I really needed to go, but Kevin needed me more, so here I am.  Lexi went to church all by herself, which always bothers me.  I know what it's like to go to church alone, and I never wanted my children to have to do that.  BUT at the same time I am proud of her for making that choice to go.  Today couldn't be helped.  Someone needed to be here with my husband.  Kyle went to the singles ward with his girlfriend and its a good thing he did.  Morgan is sick and Kyle dropped her off at Urgent Care just before coming home to change out of his church clothes, and then went back to be with Morgan.  We think she has another kidney infection.  That poor girl works so hard out in the heat with a bullet proof vest on as well as a black uniform, she can't keep enough fluids in her body. She sweats out anything she takes in.  I just hope they get her taken care of and back on her feet quickly so she can get back to work.  It will kill her to miss any time away from work.  

I don't know if Danielle will be coming over today or not.  She never said anything about it.  So we will see.  Hopefully she will text me soon.  She's gotta be at church right now.

Kevin has been up a couple of times today.  He has two three inch sized gauze pads in two spots of his back.  One off to the left between his should blades, and the other off to the ride and just above his bum on the side of his previous scar.  They did another fusion of L7.  The last time he had a fusion he stayed in the hospital for 5 days.  This time they sent him home the next day.  He is in a lot of pain.  The hospital knew he would be a tough one to get the pain under control with.  In fact, they used some different things and he actually got the pain down to a 5 on the 0 to 10 scale.  That is huge for him!  You know if a man is saying he is in pain and will rate that pain about a 7 or an 8 it has to be bad.  If he is saying it's a 7 then you can bet it most likely is a 10.  They try to pretend to be so strong sometimes.  So, Kevin's 5 most likely is a real 7.  Just sayin.  We have some wound dressing changing to do later.  The first dressing change is always the hardest for me.  I always get just a little freaked out by it.  I think it's because I know how much pain the hubby is in.  After that first one, I am usually good to go.

Well, I should go.  Lots to do. I hope you are having a perfectly wonderful Sunday too.  Take care my friends and we will talk soon.

From the Missionary:

My husband has been keeping a blog for Curtis while he is on his mission.  Here is the web address:  http://elderschmidtinanewyorkminute.blogspot.com/

Kevin is including emails we receive from Curtis, as well as keeping track of all of his callings, companions, areas, and photos too.  This will be turned over to Curtis when he comes home as a memory for him to have always of his two years serving in New York.  So, you can catch up with Curtis from either website.

Name Tag

Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...